Olympics

And they're off . . .
Nonc Hilaire

Olympics

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

This gets sillier and more corrupt every year. This year we have the zika, coup, & pollution olympics.

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe? It would be more productive and interesting. Much better for the atheletes and year-round tourism too.

There is no overlap between yachting, track & field, and swimming. We do not need every sport in the same locale anymore.

This idea that every event must be held in the same country is archaic. Light a torch in each venue using lasers.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Re: Olympics

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:. . .

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe?

. . .
If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

There too much money to be made by the IOC, both open and esp under-the-table, by moving the Olympics from country to country.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:. . .

Why can't we have different countries build one sport a permanent venue and distribute the various competitions around the globe?

. . .
If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.

There too much money to be made by the IOC, both open and esp under-the-table, by moving the Olympics from country to country.
Plus for whatever price we pay in graft, we get to keep all the schemers in one room preoccupied on one event. Could you imagine what they'd do if we took away their toy? :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Personally, the whole thing is too much. I've no interest in the pageantry; and the rampant cheating, while probably a fixture since at least the 60s, has soured me on what was once supposed to be a display of amateur sporting.

It's like USA Basketball. It was easy to root for the overkill professional Dream Team just for how overwhelming it all was...but here we are 7 Olympics later and it's not fun watching millionaires at their peak who essentially train against the best competition in the world annually to go out there and beat up on ol'Serbia.
NapLajoieonSteroids

I think it may be more enjoyable if they split it up some and really made it a global event but the big roadblock is the media. The worldwide press doesn't want to send out reporters to several locations, and the talking-heads want access to all the action so they could write or talk about the same handful of stories that they do at every 4 years.

They could split the events on some sort of rotation and then bargain off a "host" country for the open and closing ceremonies, and maybe an event/sport that country's good at.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.
For some years Greece has been a competition venue for migrant swimming, running, vaulting etc. Hope we don't get to see spear throwing.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:
Typhoon wrote:If memory serves, Greece once offered a permanent site for the Olympics.
For some years Greece has been a competition venue for migrant swimming, running, vaulting etc. Hope we don't get to see spear throwing.
In Greece, Schnauble could probably medal in the javelin catch.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

dont forget that "biathlon" combined hiking and shooting thing, it might aswell be called the alien hunt.

the olympics are very stale, i cant see them lasting much longer without some sort of new approach.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

For all the rampant corruption,

I still enjoy watching rowing, some of the track and field events, wrestling, women's diving, and a few others.

Last, but not least, judo

FczxGJcd1WQ

Tokyo is host in 2020 and, unlike 1964, it has been one bureaucratic screw up after another.
And probable massive bribery of the IOC to win it in the first place.

Contrary to popular impression, the original ancient Olympics had rank corruption, cheating, and even [useless] drug use.

Human nature.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

the market will decide which is truly the bigger visual spectacular, i have a suspicion the current puritan rhetoric will be discovered as hollow.

eg: sprinters like drag cars, they should only last the 10 seconds of the race and the skill in the dosage will be just making it to the finish line and going straight on the heart and lung machines
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

the market will decide which is truly the bigger visual spectacular, i have a suspicion the current puritan rhetoric will be discovered as hollow.

eg: sprinters like drag cars, they should only last the 10 seconds of the race and the skill in the dosage will be just making it to the finish line and going straight on the heart and lung machines
Varies by sport. Judo should always be held in Kyoto. Sailing should always be in Australia. This big event marketing nonsense has been outdated by decades. The decathlon should always be in Greece. Track always in Berlin.

The idea of requiring the physical co-location of events every four years is wasteful, corrupt and absurd.

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
noddy wrote:i think we need to reinvigorate the olympic brand and split it into 2 events - the amateur zero tolerance for any drugs version (including sugar and caffeine) and the professional anything goes version.

Varies by sport. Judo should always be held in Kyoto. Sailing should always be in Australia. This big event marketing nonsense has been outdated by decades. The decathlon should always be in Greece. Track always in Berlin.

The idea of requiring the physical co-location of events every four years is wasteful, corrupt and absurd.
cute idea - however it would be hard to seperate from the regular world cups all sports have and reduce the event spectacle of it all.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

whilst i have no doubt of the truth of russian government involvement i do wonder how much they are more guilty than the rest.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, the Winter Olympics 2018 are underway in

Pyeongchang, South Korea.
noddy

Post by noddy »

aka, the northern european snow people games.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:aka, the northern european snow people games.
yep. the SJWers have ruined the Winter Olympics for me.

now all I can think while watching is how rich & privileged do you have to be to spend tens of thousands of hours practicing figure skating, or sliding down a hill?

The Olympic games should be cancelled in the name of global solidarity.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

How about The Egalitarian People's Winter Olympics?

Events could include:
- shoveling snow off sidewalks and driveways
- spreading salt or sand
- scraping ice off windshields
- installing and removing tire chains
- using jumper cables
- digging vehicles out from the snow after skidding off the road
- trying to tie frozen boots laces
- finding car keys that have been dropped in 20" of snow
- changing out buckets of ice for buckets of water for the livestock
- dexterity tests after your hands have been inside wet frozen gloves
- shoveling the snow off your driveway, and throwing the snow over the hedge on to your neighbor's car
and of course for the violent content (to get viewship up) snow ball fights and snow baths!

all of which would have to be done after dark of course for maximum realism

the evil rich privileged bastards would get their asses kicked!
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

+1

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:How about The Egalitarian People's Winter Olympics?

Events could include:
- shoveling snow off sidewalks and driveways
- spreading salt or sand
- scraping ice off windshields
- installing and removing tire chains
- using jumper cables
- digging vehicles out from the snow after skidding off the road
- trying to tie frozen boots laces
- finding car keys that have been dropped in 20" of snow
- changing out buckets of ice for buckets of water for the livestock
- dexterity tests after your hands have been inside wet frozen gloves
- shoveling the snow off your driveway, and throwing the snow over the hedge on to your neighbor's car
and of course for the violent content (to get viewship up) snow ball fights and snow baths!

all of which would have to be done after dark of course for maximum realism

the evil rich privileged bastards would get their asses kicked!
:lol:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

As with the Summer Olympics, I like to watch a bit of the Winter Olympics to view sports that I would not usually see:

downhill skiing, bobsleigh and other sliding events, biathlon, nordic ski jumping, etc.

Showing my age, all the new "trick" skiing and snowboarding events don't appeal to me.

The J-coverage is abysmal, 24/7 figure and speed skating with very irritating commentators, so I've been watching the Canadian feed which provides commercial-free
full-event coverage.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I have not been following White Privileged White People's White Olympics much. I find it all very triggering.

I even heard a rumor that one event is for White People on skis who carry guns and search for black targets to shoot at. It this true? That's horrifyingly Racist!

Is it over yet?

I've been searching for a good video of the Czech Snowboarding chic who won the Super G gold medal. I can only find the last 30 seconds. I think they must have thought she did not have a prayer, so they focused the cameras on something else. Perhaps about 45 seconds into her run they were all screaming into their mics:

"We're missing out on Olympic history! TURN ON THE F**KING CAMERAS ON THE SUPER G CHIC! TURN ON THE F**KING SUPER G CAMERAS!!!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Going in Ester Ledecká [CZ] was ranked 43rd in the World Cup standings in super-G .

uS7vZRHopwM

On the edge during that last jump. Recovered well.

WZElAupq5w0

Have to say that the Canadian CBC Olympic coverage was first rate including Olympic OBC feeds over entire events with no commercials.

A friend tipped me off about it during the previous Vancouver Winter Olympics.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

So, has anyone been watching the Tokyo Olympics?