Fight to elect US president by popular vote

Heracleum Persicum

Fight to elect US president by popular vote

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Cuomo has signed legislation that could help revamp future presidential elections by agreeing to award the state’s 29 electoral votes to the candidate that is most favored on a national level

. . joining ten other jurisdictions: California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.
It is said, American presidents are not elected by American people, but by American money .. barely any American president was elected by popular vote last 50 yrs
Mr. Perfect

Re: Fight to elect US president by popular vote

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Az, all American Presidents elected by popular vote except a very few, going all the way back. No problem. Money will stay the same, no difference.

US system, House represents the population, effect is large states dominate the House. Senate counters by giving more power to small states. Electoral College splits the difference, puts balance of power in the hands of "Swing States". Many states do not even see an advertisement. If you went to pure popular vote it would give large states too much power.

Called checks and balances. Works good. Electoral College not the root cause of US problems.
Censorship isn't necessary
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Az, all American Presidents elected by popular vote except a very few, going all the way back. No problem. Money will stay the same, no difference.

US system, House represents the population, effect is large states dominate the House. Senate counters by giving more power to small states. Electoral College splits the difference, puts balance of power in the hands of "Swing States". Many states do not even see an advertisement. If you went to pure popular vote it would give large states too much power.

Called checks and balances. Works good. Electoral College not the root cause of US problems.
Than You VERY MUCH for your post, Mr. Perfect.

I agree.

Best to leave the Electoral College alone despite the temptation to tinker with it......

Really, perhaps we should go back to have the State Legislature elect the Senators as it was originally done to give the States more power against the Federal Government/National Political Parties......*

*Would also be open to having the State Governor appoint the Senators as his/her State's representatives against the over-reaching Fudderal ;) :roll: Government.....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:Az, all American Presidents elected by popular vote except a very few, going all the way back. No problem. Money will stay the same, no difference.

Am told, there's (much) more registered Dems than Reps .. despite this, sometimes (by accident) President a Rep .. looks to me that only possible with "special tricks", furloughing the blacks like Jeb in Florida or some other gimmick

Looks to me, if "pure play" popular vote would elect American president, Reps have no chance, ever

Looking at Presidents of last 50+ yrs, American Joe always thought something wrong, Joe feelin President not his .. leading to dysfunctional government, Bil had a BJ, so what ? Newt ruining America's world reputation for what ? impeachment for a BJ?
Of course no (married) man would say on TV YES he had a BJ .. if Bil would have been elected president with overwhelming popular support, Newt would have not dared to as next election he would be wiped out

W.Bush (and not poor Ahmadinejat) became president on phoney vote .. and, you saw what a disaster W. & Cheney brought upon our beloved US of A .. Americans tired of wars since Vietnam, but Chaney saying NO, one more to take care off (Iran)

Look, there is a "disconnect" between American Joe and American presidents, that since last 60 yrs .. Mossadegh, Vietnam, Johnson, Kennedy assassination, Carter ( :lol:) and and and

Popular vote should fix all this

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Cuomo has signed legislation that could help revamp future presidential elections by agreeing to award the state’s 29 electoral votes to the candidate that is most favored on a national level

. . joining ten other jurisdictions: California, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.
It is said, American presidents are not elected by American people, but by American money .. barely any American president was elected by popular vote last 50 yrs
Ok So the American Presidential vote is changed to a straight popular vote from the current state by state electoral college. There after Presidential candidates will only campaign in states with large population densities and the less populated areas will be completely ignored. Yeah that is a great idea...if you want another civil war.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:

Ok So the American Presidential vote is changed to a straight popular vote from the current state by state electoral college. There after Presidential candidates will only campaign in states with large population densities and the less populated areas will be completely ignored. Yeah that is a great idea...if you want another civil war.

Doc, you might have a valid case

but

think the other way

Should Main or Iowa over rule California ? ?

In final analysis, "numbers SHOULD talk" .. otherwise, that civil war you talking will be a bit delayed but 4sure comet

Notion, Main or RI would exit union because Californians decide US presidents, silly, they have no choice except accept the right and just .. that idea of "States" no more valid
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Am told, there's (much) more registered Dems than Reps ..
Democrats more likely to switch vote than GOP, independents trend GOP, been going on a long time.
despite this, sometimes (by accident) President a Rep .. looks to me that only possible with "special tricks", furloughing the blacks like Jeb in Florida or some other gimmick
Both sides uses tricks, electoral college, popular vote, no difference.
Looks to me, if "pure play" popular vote would elect American president, Reps have no chance, ever
Eisenhower 2 times, Nixon 2 times, Reagan 2 times, Bush 1 time, and Bush Jr in 2004 all won popular vote. No problem.
Looking at Presidents of last 50+ yrs, American Joe always thought something wrong, Joe feelin President not his .. leading to dysfunctional government, Bil had a BJ, so what ? Newt ruining America's world reputation for what ? impeachment for a BJ?
Bill Clinton never got more than 50%, small point in your favor there. But in point, Clinton lied UNDER OATH, you or me we be in jail. Not about sex act in question, question is UNDER OATH. You or me, prison.
Of course no (married) man would say on TV YES he had a BJ .. if Bil would have been elected president with overwhelming popular support, Newt would have not dared to as next election he would be wiped out
This all happened in the 2nd term. Nothing to do with electoral college either way.

W.Bush (and not poor Ahmadinejat) became president on phoney vote .. and, you saw what a disaster W. & Cheney brought upon our beloved US of A .. Americans tired of wars since Vietnam, but Chaney saying NO, one more to take care off (Iran)
Cheney won by popular vote, 2004.
Look, there is a "disconnect" between American Joe and American presidents, that since last 60 yrs .. Mossadegh, Vietnam, Johnson, Kennedy assassination, Carter ( :lol:) and and and

Popular vote should fix all this

All Presidents you mentioned won by popular vote. Problem already fixed.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Doc, you might have a valid case

but

think the other way

In final analysis, "numbers SHOULD talk" .. otherwise, that civil war you talking will be a bit delayed but 4sure comet

Notion, Main or RI would exit union because Californians decide US presidents, silly, they have no choice except accept the right and just .. that idea of "States" no more valid
As long as states exist states are valid, because CA will dump all nuclear wast in poor Maine, or Minnesota.

Checks and balances Az, working good.
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:.
Checks and balances Az, working good

MP, facts sayin it ain't workin (good)

again, in final analysis, America's president must be "we the people's" choice .. can't be half pregnant

American Joe feels he not in driver seat, he votes for somethin, but, somethin else happens

Low voting numbers attest Joe might given up votin .. no good for the system
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Az, facts are that Joe votes Republican, has elected many GOP Presidents. All good. Joe like the electoral college, keep states like CA and NY in check. If those states get more power we become Marxist nation. Joe votes more than any other Demographic in the US. Joe likes this system.

Root cause of problem in the US is Public Schooling, where they teach just enough to get people moderately employable and then left wing indoctrination camps. Privatize schooling is the root solution to our problems.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Doc wrote:

but

think the other way

It is not about Iowa ruling over California It is about a president being president of the whole country rather than the more highly populated areas.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

but

think the other way

It is not about Iowa ruling over California It is about a president being president of the whole country rather than the more highly populated areas.

President must represent American people and not of "acreage"

In reality one personae in RI Counts as 35 Californian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

but

think the other way

President must represent American people and not of "acreage"

In reality one personae in RI Counts as 35 Californian
AS I have been saying if the electroial college system was changed to a popular vote only the the high population density metro areas would count in th evote as politicians get more bang for their campaign bucks in those areas. The result would be that large parts of the country would have little or no influence of the presidential vote. If such a change occurred the result would be that those areas not receiving representation at the national level would likely end up demanding independence.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
AS I have been saying if the electoral college system was changed to a popular vote only the the high population density metro areas would count in the vote as politicians get more bang for their campaign bucks in those areas. The result would be that large parts of the country would have little or no influence of the presidential vote. If such a change occurred the result would be that those areas not receiving representation at the national level would likely end up demanding independence.

- "large parts of the country" only large by "acreage", not by Americans .. American president "should" represent Americans and not "Acreage"

- Those small states or those with small population will never ask for "independence" .. how would Main or RI or Dakota
defend itself against (the bad) PUTIN ? ? :lol: .. those states are economically not viable within the scale what America now representing, even Quebec not sure whether they would survive alone let alone RI

The way it is, electoral college system, Californians are "second class citizens" .. how can Californians have 2 Senators and RI
too have 2 .. America in reality now one state
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The US system has worked reasonably well . . . the US has the best senators and representatives that money can buy.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:
AS I have been saying if the electoral college system was changed to a popular vote only the the high population density metro areas would count in the vote as politicians get more bang for their campaign bucks in those areas. The result would be that large parts of the country would have little or no influence of the presidential vote. If such a change occurred the result would be that those areas not receiving representation at the national level would likely end up demanding independence.

- "large parts of the country" only large by "acreage", not by Americans .. American president "should" represent Americans and not "Acreage"

- Those small states or those with small population will never ask for "independence" .. how would Main or RI or Dakota
defend itself against (the bad) PUTIN ? ? :lol: .. those states are economically not viable within the scale what America now representing, even Quebec not sure whether they would survive alone let alone RI

The way it is, electoral college system, Californians are "second class citizens" .. how can Californians have 2 Senators and RI

A large proportion of the country in POPULATION would have no representation if this change was made. PERIOD. This is pretty much UN-disputable. Those state would be highly economicvally viable since they represent nearly one half of the population and nearly one half of GDP. As for defense. I would point out that a higher proportion of those in US military uniform come from those states that would be under represented, if the change were made.

Californians are hardly under represented. They have been voting for a democratic presidential candidate for a long time. This issue has little or nothing to do with under representation. The issue is what happens when a candidate wins the popular vote but wins the electoral vote. The candidate all know what combinations of states they have to win to get elected POTUS The last case where this happened was the 2000 election. Al Gore could have won his home state of Tennessee but did not He could have won a traditionally heavily democratic state like WV but he saw fit to only spend two hours there during the entire campaign. If Gore had one either of those states instead of spending much of his campaign resources trying to win Florida and slam dunking the election, in vain, he would have been elected president.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

A large proportion of the country in POPULATION would have no representation if this change was made. PERIOD. This is pretty much UN-disputable. Those state would be highly economicvally viable since they represent nearly one half of the population and nearly one half of GDP. As for defense. I would point out that a higher proportion of those in US military uniform come from those states that would be under represented, if the change were made.

Californians are hardly under represented. They have been voting for a democratic presidential candidate for a long time. This issue has little or nothing to do with under representation. The issue is what happens when a candidate wins the popular vote but wins the electoral vote. The candidate all know what combinations of states they have to win to get elected POTUS The last case where this happened was the 2000 election. Al Gore could have won his home state of Tennessee but did not He could have won a traditionally heavily democratic state like WV but he saw fit to only spend two hours there during the entire campaign. If Gore had one either of those states instead of spending much of his campaign resources trying to win Florida and slam dunking the election, in vain, he would have been elected president.

Issue of Population Concentration exists in Canada, France and most western countries .. but .. they all have "popular vote" system .. In Canada, pretty much, elections are decided by Quebec and Ontario (is said, without Quebec it's a lost election) .. AND ? ? nobody separating

Doc, issue not to elect "somehow" a President .. issue the President must be elected by "majority of Americans", majority of the American population .. if, by gimmick, "considerations" must be taken so that some territories don't feel "not heard" and by that "popular majority" neglected, if so, down the road, "majority" of population will become demotivated and lead to general dissatisfaction, what now pretty much seems 2B happening, hardening fronts, Newt highjacking DC for a BJ

Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote:
Doc wrote:

Issue of Population Concentration exists in Canada, France and most western countries .. but .. they all have "popular vote" system .. In Canada, pretty much, elections are decided by Quebec and Ontario (is said, without Quebec it's a lost election) .. AND ? ? nobody separating

Doc, issue not to elect "somehow" a President .. issue the President must be elected by "majority of Americans", majority of the American population .. if, by gimmick, "considerations" must be taken so that some territories don't feel "not heard" and by that "popular majority" neglected, if so, down the road, "majority" of population will become demotivated and lead to general dissatisfaction, what now pretty much seems 2B happening, hardening fronts, Newt highjacking DC for a BJ

The US is not Canada. Personally I would be in favor of independence if it came down to it.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:.
Personally I would be in favor of independence if it came down to it.
Depends where you live

if you live in California, Independence good idea

if you live in Bismark, North Dakota, you better have a "reality check"
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: - "large parts of the country" only large by "acreage", not by Americans .. American president "should" represent Americans and not "Acreage"

too have 2 ..
Absolutely not. CA heavily weighted in the House of Representatives. Good for them. RI heavily weighted in the Senate. Good for them. Checks and balances. RI checked in the House, CA checked in the Senate. American founding based on no one having too much power.
America in reality now one state
Absolutely not.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Depends where you live

if you live in California, Independence good idea

if you live in Bismark, North Dakota, you better have a "reality check"
California is going bankrupt and has destroyed all natural industry.

ND is booming with energy. CA needs USA more than ND.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:Issue of Population Concentration exists in Canada, France and most western countries .. but .. they all have "popular vote" system .. In Canada, pretty much, elections are decided by Quebec and Ontario (is said, without Quebec it's a lost election) .. AND ? ? nobody separating

All US Presidents, last 100 years, have won 50% or more of the vote, except Bill Clinton. Small point for you there. But, every other President has won 50% or more. Newt war right to impeach sub 50%n President, we should agree on that.

Nobody needs to compare to Canada, most human beings not even aware of existence. Very cold place.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

BTW Az this will help the GOP immensely, thanks for the idea. :)
Heracleum Persicum

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote: - "large parts of the country" only large by "acreage", not by Americans .. American president "should" represent Americans and not "Acreage"

too have 2 ..
Absolutely not. CA heavily weighted in the House of Representatives. Good for them. RI heavily weighted in the Senate. Good for them. Checks and balances. RI checked in the House, CA checked in the Senate. American founding based on no one having too much power.

MP, we talking Presidential election .. Congress & Senate IS popular vote
Mr. Perfect wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote: America in reality now one state
Absolutely not.
MP, world becoming a "global village" .. in that sense "States" do not make sense anymore .. community/county, fine, but States ? ?

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: MP, we talking Presidential election .. Congress & Senate IS popular vote
Electoral vote is popular vote by state.

MP, world becoming a "global village" .. in that sense "States" do not make sense anymore .. community/county, fine, but States ? ?

States make a lot of sense. People in CA want very different laws than people in UT. It's been our way for over 200 years. This is all going fine. This is not the root problem for the US.