Russia

Typhoon

Re: Russia

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:Wishful thinking seems to be the basic foundation for most comments on foreign affairs, these days.
Indeed. Especially those who fantasize about how things should be or will be as opposed as to how they actually are. :wink:
Because you know how things actually are, I suppose... ;)
Well, I do know

1/ The US dollar is currently the world reserve currency

2/ Russia is ruled by a dictatorial kleptocracy

3/ China is ruled by a dictatorial kleptocracy
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:Wishful thinking seems to be the basic foundation for most comments on foreign affairs, these days.
Indeed. Especially those who fantasize about how things should be or will be as opposed as to how they actually are. :wink:
Well, I do know

I don't think propaganda is a good substitute for thinking...
Alexis

Comparisons are not necessarily convincing

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:In the 20th century there was no shortage of people living in democracies expressing their slavish admiration for "strong-man" dictators and military command economies while also expressing their disdain for "weak" democracy and it's "dumb" leaders.

Things did not turn out as they expected.
Are you actually saying that Putin or Xi Jinping are comparable to Hitler, Stalin or Mao? :shock:
A lot of ifs in your scenario. Compare it to the current reality.
The US dollar and US govt bonds are the run to markets at the first sign of any financial/economic/political instability.
All ifs are subject for discussion.

On the other hand, reality is not limited to current market fancy. Durability - or lack thereof - of current fancies can be assessed by looking at more concrete economic facts.

Russia has very limited public debt, large financial reserves, large current account surpluses and trade surpluses, even including Western sanctions.

The USA have large and growing public debt, large current account and trade deficits which they compensate with IOUs.

Whatever democratic nature - or lack thereof - of Russian and American regimes, one of these countries is in a more stable financial situation than the other.

Life expectancy of current market fancies might be impacted by concrete financial situations. Not necessarily immediately nor at a predictable time. However, in the long term reality tends to bite and to dissipate irrational fancies.

Limits to American democracy are by the way just as stark than limits to Russian democracy.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Well, I do know

I don't think propaganda is a good substitute for thinking...
Aside from the content-free platitudes, which of the three observations do you think to be incorrect?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
kmich

Post by kmich »

While the US is a power in decline and has been prone to increasing political dysfunction and poor leadership, but so are nation states throughout the world. The US is not going to be displaced by another power in the foreseeable future, not because we are doing so well, but because the other world powers-to-be are facing political and economic challenges that are worse.

The Europeans have been floundering around with a gross mismatch between their aspirations for union after a past century of calamitous wars with their aversion to forgoing sufficient national sovereignty to create the laws and institutions to make that at all workable. It is also important to remember that Russia, China, and the US, all have very different histories and issues. Russia and China both are in the early phases of developing political and economic stability and rule of law after generations of catastrophic wars and tyrannies, and, at best, have had inconsistent results. The US is a century ahead on those processes and was relatively unscathed by the calamities of the past century, but is in danger of fatal arrogance and complacency, along with the rapid emergence of what de Tocqueville called “soft despotism.” Whatever the case, no one is going to run to the exchanges to sell off dollars for Yuan, Rubles, Yen, or Euros anytime soon.

Due to the globalization of wealth and power, the Westphalian system is in growing disrepair. How far that will go and what may take the nation state system’s place is anyone’s guess. The US, in spite of its self, is not falling out of its central role in the world anytime soon. The US does have the ability of mortally sabotaging its place in the world through its perennial and evolving tendencies for military, political, and economic overreach, hubris, and strategic incoherence. The USA has not reached a critical tipping point, at least not yet, nor is such a prospect currently foreseen except by those who, often understandably, cheer for her imminent demise. Nevertheless, as Abraham Lincoln once said about us Americans, “If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide…”
Last edited by kmich on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:Aside from the content-free platitudes, which of the three observations do you think to be incorrect?
They are all irrelevant, and the two last ones are simply meant to try and justify the stupidity of western policies... Or do you mean to imply that NATO's aggressive posture is meant to put an end to the kleptocracies in Russia and China, all for the good of the Russian and Chinese peoples?... I would expect this to be far from believable, even for you...
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

kmich wrote:While the US is a power in decline and has been prone to increasing political dysfunction and poor leadership, but so are nation states throughout the world. The US is not going to be displaced by another power in the foreseeable future, not because we are doing so well, but because the other world powers-to-be are facing political and economic challenges that are worse.

The Europeans have been floundering around with a gross mismatch between their aspirations for union after a past century of calamitous wars with their aversion to forgoing sufficient national sovereignty to create the laws and institutions to make that at all workable. It is also important to remember that Russia, China, and the US, all have very different histories and issues. Russia and China both are in the early phases of developing political and economic stability and rule of law after generations of catastrophic wars and tyrannies, and, at best, have had inconsistent results. The US is a century ahead on those processes and was relatively unscathed by the calamities of the past century, but is in danger of fatal arrogance and complacency, along with the rapidly emergence of what de Tocqueville called “soft despotism.” Whatever the case, no one is going to run to the exchanges to sell off dollars for Yuan, Rubles, Yen, or Euros anytime soon.

Due to the globalization of wealth and power, the Westphalian system is in growing disrepair. How far that will go and what may take the nation state system’s place is anyone’s guess. The US, in spite of its self, is not falling out of its central role in the world anytime soon. The US does have the ability of mortally sabotaging its place in the world through its perennial and evolving tendencies for military, political, and economic overreach, hubris, and strategic incoherence. The USA has not reached a critical tipping point, at least not yet, nor is such a prospect currently foreseen except by those who, often understandably, cheer for her imminent demise. Nevertheless, as Abraham Lincoln once said about us Americans, “If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide…”
Good thinking, but you may be a tiny little bit too optimistic about America's future. You may turn inwards and survive - maybe in a closer partnership with Canada - or you may keep interfering with every conflict in the world, and get your (economic) fingers badly burnt. I would advise your going back to the States and forget about everybody else. You don't need us and we certainly will do fine without you. Just lets keep moderate trading with each other and exchanging scientific experiences...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:
kmich wrote:While the US is a power in decline and has been prone to increasing political dysfunction and poor leadership, but so are nation states throughout the world. The US is not going to be displaced by another power in the foreseeable future, not because we are doing so well, but because the other world powers-to-be are facing political and economic challenges that are worse.

The Europeans have been floundering around with a gross mismatch between their aspirations for union after a past century of calamitous wars with their aversion to forgoing sufficient national sovereignty to create the laws and institutions to make that at all workable. It is also important to remember that Russia, China, and the US, all have very different histories and issues. Russia and China both are in the early phases of developing political and economic stability and rule of law after generations of catastrophic wars and tyrannies, and, at best, have had inconsistent results. The US is a century ahead on those processes and was relatively unscathed by the calamities of the past century, but is in danger of fatal arrogance and complacency, along with the rapidly emergence of what de Tocqueville called “soft despotism.” Whatever the case, no one is going to run to the exchanges to sell off dollars for Yuan, Rubles, Yen, or Euros anytime soon.

Good thinking, but you may be a tiny little bit too optimistic about America's future. You may turn inwards and survive - maybe in a closer partnership with Canada - or you may keep interfering with every conflict in the world, and get your (economic) fingers badly burnt. I would advise your going back to the States and forget about everybody else. You don't need us and we certainly will do fine without you. Just lets keep moderate trading with each other and exchanging scientific experiences...
Endo Are you a hater? I mean do you hate the US?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Doc wrote:
Endovelico wrote:Good thinking, but you may be a tiny little bit too optimistic about America's future. You may turn inwards and survive - maybe in a closer partnership with Canada - or you may keep interfering with every conflict in the world, and get your (economic) fingers badly burnt. I would advise your going back to the States and forget about everybody else. You don't need us and we certainly will do fine without you. Just lets keep moderate trading with each other and exchanging scientific experiences...
Absolutely not! I hate your foreign policies and your imperialistic tendencies. Once you change them there will be nothing to hate about the US or the American people.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Endovelico wrote:
Doc wrote:
Endovelico wrote:Good thinking, but you may be a tiny little bit too optimistic about America's future. You may turn inwards and survive - maybe in a closer partnership with Canada - or you may keep interfering with every conflict in the world, and get your (economic) fingers badly burnt. I would advise your going back to the States and forget about everybody else. You don't need us and we certainly will do fine without you. Just lets keep moderate trading with each other and exchanging scientific experiences...
Absolutely not! I hate your foreign policies and your imperialistic tendencies. Once you change them there will be nothing to hate about the US or the American people.
The same could be said if America was wiped off the face of the earth.

We have already seen what happens when a president changes them. Just look at the Middle East today.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
kmich

Post by kmich »

Endovelico wrote:

Like it or not, Endovelico, the problem is the reality that the fates of the peoples of the world are woven together. Nation state isolation will no longer be a real option for anyone in this century. Even isolated Himalayan kingdoms can’t manage that anymore. The real question is what do we stand for as nations? What is the nature of our engagement with each other in the expression of who we are and what we value? Unfortunately, a serious discussion on that is impossible to find, and when it is attempted, it quickly deteriorates into finger pointing, cynicism, or into the tired ideological, provincial, and partisan tropes we hear and read all the time.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

kmich wrote:Like it or not, Endovelico, the problem is the reality that the fates of the peoples of the world are woven together. Nation state isolation will no longer be a real option for anyone in this century. Even isolated Himalayan kingdoms can’t manage that anymore. The real question is what do we stand for as nations? What is the nature of our engagement with each other in the expression of who we are and what we value? Unfortunately, a serious discussion on that is impossible to find, and when it is attempted, it quickly deteriorates into finger pointing, cynicism, or into the tired ideological, provincial, and partisan tropes we hear and read all the time.
You are right, up to a point. The fates of the peoples of the world being woven together doesn't mean that any nation has a right to systematically interfere with other peoples' business. We should keep talking to each other, trade with each other, advance science together, but leave any policing to the UN, where it belongs. If we all assisted the UN in that, I'm sure the UN could do a much better job than the US, on the basis of global consensus and not on the whims of whoever may be in the White House. Trouble is American politics are dictated by big business. Dwight Eisenhower, who was only a general, understood that very well. Siphoning money and resources from all over the world to the US requires big American firms and many wars all over the world. Eventually the world gets tired from being assaulted by the US, and the US, powerful as it is, cannot keep the whole world on a leash... Things will tend to get messy...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Aside from the content-free platitudes, which of the three observations do you think to be incorrect?
They are all irrelevant, and the two last ones are simply meant to try and justify the stupidity of western policies... Or do you mean to imply that NATO's aggressive posture is meant to put an end to the kleptocracies in Russia and China, all for the good of the Russian and Chinese peoples?... I would expect this to be far from believable, even for you...
No. Rather that a Pax Sinica or Pax Ruthenia would be far worse than a Pax Americana.

While Western policies may be lacking they are genius when compared to those of China and Russia.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:While Western policies may be lacking they are genius when compared to those of China and Russia.
One wouldn't say so by looking to Ukraine and the Middle East. In Ukraine Russia got most of what it wanted - Crimea and its harbours - and totally thwarted US objectives. Eastern Ukraine, with its industrial potential, will sooner or later return to the Russian sphere of influence, and the US and the EU will be left with the Ukrainian bills to be paid... In the Middle East Russia stopped the US bombing Syria, is helping Assad finishing off his opponents, may be instrumental in the creation of a Kurdish state, and is helping Iran getting off the hook on what sanctions are concerned. What has the US to show for all its efforts? Zero!... So I would say that Russia's foreign policies have been a lot smarter than America's.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:While Western policies may be lacking they are genius when compared to those of China and Russia.
One wouldn't say so by looking to Ukraine and the Middle East. In Ukraine Russia got most of what it wanted - Crimea and its harbours - and totally thwarted US objectives. Eastern Ukraine, with its industrial potential, will sooner or later return to the Russian sphere of influence, and the US and the EU will be left with the Ukrainian bills to be paid...
Remains to be seen.

8.3% inflation in Russia

Russia's export economy is resourced based. It imports value added manufactured goods

The prices of commodities have recently experienced a significant drop.
Endovelico wrote:In the Middle East Russia stopped the US bombing Syria, is helping Assad finishing off his opponents, may be instrumental in the creation of a Kurdish state, and is helping Iran getting off the hook on what sanctions are concerned. What has the US to show for all its efforts? Zero!... So I would say that Russia's foreign policies have been a lot smarter than America's.
Despite the disproportinate attention it receives, the Muddled East does not matter much. The US no longer needs ME oil.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Charge!!!...

Portuguese heroic air force prepares to strike a mortal blow to creepy Russian invaders... :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:BF | Documents Show How Russia’s Troll Army Hit America

ZH seems to consist of nothing else.

$35k is good pay for being a political shill. I'd tap that. I wonder if the US shills are as well paid.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Of course! Every person defending Russia's actions is a troll, every person defending US actions is a highly educated intellectual whose only purpose is defending western values against eastern barbarism... How could we have failed to see this?... :twisted:
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Endovelico wrote:

Of course! Every person defending Russia's actions is a troll, every person defending US actions is a highly educated intellectual whose only purpose is defending western values against eastern barbarism... How could we have failed to see this?... :twisted:
apology accepted ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:

Beats the heck outa me. But it did happen!

As far as I am concerned Endo, there is no need for you, personally, to apologize. As for the others, whom you define as the rest of "we," I also forgive them. :)

Sometimes in spite of "our" best efforts, "we" are all f**king clueless!

"Be gentle with the young, the old, the weak, and the wrong. BECAUSE, at some point in your life, you will be all of them."
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Simple Minded wrote:"Be gentle with the young, the old, the weak, and the wrong. BECAUSE, at some point in your life, you will be all of them."
Well said, Simple Minded! :D

In application of this good principle, I try to be gentle towards those persons who support the Euro-US policy towards Ukraine and Russia. ;)

Just as towards those persons in denial regarding global warming... or supporting supranational European integration... or supporting US global primacy... or opposing nuclear power...

If I occasionnally fail and am too hard, I'm sorry! :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Alexis wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:"Be gentle with the young, the old, the weak, and the wrong. BECAUSE, at some point in your life, you will be all of them."
Well said, Simple Minded! :D

In application of this good principle, I try to be gentle towards those persons who support the Euro-US policy towards Ukraine and Russia. ;)

Just as towards those persons in denial regarding global warming... or supporting supranational European integration... or supporting US global primacy... or opposing nuclear power...

If I occasionnally fail and am too hard, I'm sorry! :)
You are welcome Alexis. Regarding the above list, I think you are batting 0.75.

You're definitely above average! ;)
YMix

Post by YMix »

If Anyone is Going to Attack Russia, It Will Be China – and When China Does So, It will Win, Khramchikhin Says

(Window on Eurasia – Paul Goble – Staunton, November 5, 2014) If anyone is going to carry out military aggression against Russia, Aleksandr Khramchikhin, the deputy head of the Moscow Institute for Political and Military Analysis, says, it will not be the West as many Russians think but rather China; and when China does so – and that rather than if is the real question, it will win.

In an article on AsiaRussia.ru yesterday, Khramchikhin argues that a Chinese invasion of Russia is almost inevitable because “objectively” China cannot survive “in its current borders. It must become much bigger if it does not want to become much smaller” and it needs resources Russia and Kazakhstan have but Southeast Asia does not (asiarussia.ru/articles/4864/).

“Of course,” he continues, “a peaceful form of expansion (economic and demographic) would be preferable, but a military variant is not excluded.” Beijing’s military preparedness moves strongly suggest that Chinese leaders are thinking about it. Indeed, “in recent years, the Chinese army has been carrying out exercises which it is simply impossible to treat as anything but preparation for aggression against Russia.”

China is no longer dependent on Russia for arms. Not only has it long demonstrated its ability to steal American and European technology in that area, Khramchikhin says, but its own domestic product has so improved that Russia no longer enjoys unquestioned superiority over China in the military field and in some areas is already far behind.

The only sector within that branch where China continues to purchase significant amounts of Russian military technology is the navy which it would use in the event of operations against Taiwan and the United States. It is “obvious” that there isn’t going to be a naval war between China and Russia; if and when it occurs, it will be between two land forces.

And for these forces, China has not been acquiring “any technology” from Russia “because precisely that would be used against Russia in the event of a war,” the Moscow analyst points out. Moreover, he adds, China has now escaped from any dependence on Russia in its air force as well.

Despite the warm words between Moscow and Beijing in recent months, it is important to point out, Khramchikhin says, that recently, military technology cooperation between the two countries has broken down, partially because of the rapid degradation of the Russian military industrial complex and partially because China wants to have a free hand against Russia.

Qualitatively and quantitatively, the armed forces of Russia and China are “now approximately equal,” but China is moving ahead in many areas. It already vastly outnumbers Russian forces, its training programs are better and more intensive, and its weapons systems are improving relative to those of Russia as well.

Thus, Khramchikhin concludes, “we have no chances in a conventional war” with China, something Beijing understands. Russia still has vast superiority in strategic nuclear forces but even there it is losing ground, especially in terms of the number of intermediate ballistic missiles which might be used and perhaps, although the data are unavailable, in tactical nuclear weapons.

Moscow would be reluctant to use tactical nuclear weapons because it would be employing them on its own territory, the Moscow analyst says, and Chinese strategic rockets are sufficient to be able to “destroy the main cities of European Russia which it doesn’t need” because in that part of Russia “there are many people and few resources.”

Consequently, Moscow would be reluctant to move from conventional to nuclear weapons, and the notion that it could keep China from doing so is “a myth” that needs to be dispelled. Indeed, Khramchikhin says, an examination of the military situation between the two countries provides only one lesson for Russians: “learn Chinese.”
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.