Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

The beauty of this .. for certain these kind of sciences, very high level physics or mathematics, theoretical stuff, no laboratory, no instrument, nothing more than a pencil and sheet of paper needed

Einstein, afaik, developed all his theories by "day dreaming" .. he said (something to that effect) that “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
Mathematics, yes. However, in the case of physics developing a theory based on thought experiments alone is the very rare exception.

https://netfiles.umn.edu/users/janss011 ... e/knot.pdf

Recall that after GR, Einstein spent much of the rest of his life trying to unify gravity and electromagnetism . . . unsuccessfully.

String theorists, who work solely with "pencil and paper", have spent over 3 decades trying to come up with a unified field theory and have yet to make a single testable prediction.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: To prove or disprove those theories you need instruments and laboratories .. though, testing and validating some of Einstein's theories needed very simple tests .. the beauty is in the simplicity

Actually, the experimental tests of GR are very challenging to perform.

Especially experiments that seek to test the differences between GR and various modified theories.

آزموده را ازمودن خطاست
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
HAL 10000

Post by HAL 10000 »

Typhoon wrote:
Mathematics, yes. However, in the case of physics developing a theory based on thought experiments alone is the very rare exception.

Even in the case of physics, it seems to me that developing a theory based on "thought experiments" is tantamount to solving a mathematical problem, but subject to the constraint that the result has to be physically verifiable. There are several difficulties now: because the existing theories are already very developed, the mathematics part is becoming increasingly more difficult, much more technical, with a lot of prerequisites. When Einstein was working on his GR theory, most of the mathematical prerequisites were already developed and he did not have to invent any new mathematics. Right now new theories require new mathematics that has not even been invented; a well-trained String Theorist often knows more mathematics than most applied mathematicians. The technical difficulties are greater now.
The name HAL is derived from "Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer." HAL 10000 is the new generation computer destined to become the successor to HAL 9000, as suggested in Arthur C. Clarke's book.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A new test of GR

And a strike against "spactime foam" theories attempting to unify GR with QFT.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:A new test of GR

Question CS How would there being no quantum foam effect things like virtual particles? Would that eliminate the possibility of their existence? Or would it just mean that there is a different explanation of where they come from?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:

Question CS How would there being no quantum foam effect things like virtual particles? Would that eliminate the possibility of their existence? Or would it just mean that there is a different explanation of where they come from?
"Spacetime foam" is not necessary for virtual particle creation and annihilation. Rather it is a hypothesis that it is created by virtual particles.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

"Spacetime foam" is not necessary for virtual particle creation and annihilation. Rather it is a hypothesis that it is created by virtual particles.
its suspiciously difficult to separate science fiction from theoretical physics sometimes.
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Really? That seems surprising But now that I think about it I guess I realized that at one time.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Really? That seems surprising But now that I think about it I guess I realized that at one time.
Virtual particles are required for perturbative QFT calculations in [locally] flat spactime for electromagnetic, weak and strong nuclear forces.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Virtual particles are required for perturbative QFT calculations in [locally] flat spactime for electromagnetic, weak and strong nuclear forces.
Virtual particles are also the explanation of Hawking radiation aren't they?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:

Virtual particles are also the explanation of Hawking radiation aren't they?
Yes. However, Hawking radiation has not been observed.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire

Feynman on fire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

ITpDrdtGAmo
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Weak Measurement

Does anyone have an opinion?
cultivate a white rose
Doc

What do you have in your hologram?

Post by Doc »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 101633.htm
Is the universe a hologram?
Date:April 27, 2015 Source:Vienna University of Technology Summary:The 'holographic principle,' the idea that a universe with gravity can be described by a quantum field theory in fewer dimensions, has been used for years as a mathematical tool in strange curved spaces. New results suggest that the holographic principle also holds in flat spaces. Our own universe could in fact be two dimensional and only appear three dimensional -- just like a hologram. Share:

Is our universe a hologram?

Credit: TU Wien

At first glance, there is not the slightest doubt: to us, the universe looks three dimensional. But one of the most fruitful theories of theoretical physics in the last two decades is challenging this assumption. The "holographic principle" asserts that a mathematical description of the universe actually requires one fewer dimension than it seems. What we perceive as three dimensional may just be the image of two dimensional processes on a huge cosmic horizon.

Up until now, this principle has only been studied in exotic spaces with negative curvature. This is interesting from a theoretical point of view, but such spaces are quite different from the space in our own universe. Results obtained by scientists at TU Wien (Vienna) now suggest that the holographic principle even holds in a flat spacetime.

The Holographic Principle

Everybody knows holograms from credit cards or banknotes. They are two dimensional, but to us they appear three dimensional. Our universe could behave quite similarly: "In 1997, the physicist Juan Maldacena proposed the idea that there is a correspondence between gravitational theories in curved anti-de-sitter spaces on the one hand and quantum field theories in spaces with one fewer dimension on the other," says Daniel Grumiller (TU Wien).

Gravitational phenomena are described in a theory with three spatial dimensions, the behaviour of quantum particles is calculated in a theory with just two spatial dimensions -- and the results of both calculations can be mapped onto each other. Such a correspondence is quite surprising. It is like finding out that equations from an astronomy textbook can also be used to repair a CD-player. But this method has proven to be very successful. More than ten thousand scientific papers about Maldacena's "AdS-CFT-correspondence" have been published to date.

Correspondence Even in Flat Spaces

For theoretical physics, this is extremely important, but it does not seem to have much to do with our own universe. Apparently, we do not live in such an anti-de-sitter-space. These spaces have quite peculiar properties. They are negatively curved, any object thrown away on a straight line will eventually return. "Our universe, in contrast, is quite flat -- and on astronomic distances, it has positive curvature," says Daniel Grumiller.

However, Grumiller has suspected for quite some time that a correspondence principle could also hold true for our real universe. To test this hypothesis, gravitational theories have to be constructed, which do not require exotic anti-de-sitter spaces, but live in a flat space. For three years, he and his team at TU Wien (Vienna) have been working on that, in cooperation with the University of Edinburgh, Harvard, IISER Pune, the MIT and the University of Kyoto. Now Grumiller and colleagues from India and Japan have published an article in the journal Physical Review Letters, confirming the validity of the correspondence principle in a flat universe.

Calculated Twice, Same Result

"If quantum gravity in a flat space allows for a holographic description by a standard quantum theory, then there must by physical quantities, which can be calculated in both theories -- and the results must agree," says Grumiller. Especially one key feature of quantum mechanics -quantum entanglement -- has to appear in the gravitational theory.

When quantum particles are entangled, they cannot be described individually. They form a single quantum object, even if they are located far apart. There is a measure for the amount of entanglement in a quantum system, called "entropy of entanglement." Together with Arjun Bagchi, Rudranil Basu and Max Riegler, Daniel Grumiller managed to show that this entropy of entanglement takes the same value in flat quantum gravity and in a low dimension quantum field theory.

"This calculation affirms our assumption that the holographic principle can also be realized in flat spaces. It is evidence for the validity of this correspondence in our universe," says Max Riegler (TU Wien). "The fact that we can even talk about quantum information and entropy of entanglement in a theory of gravity is astounding in itself, and would hardly have been imaginable only a few years back. That we are now able to use this as a tool to test the validity of the holographic principle, and that this test works out, is quite remarkable," says Daniel Grumiller.

This however, does not yet prove that we are indeed living in a hologram -- but apparently there is growing evidence for the validity of the correspondence principle in our own universe.

Story Source:

The above story is based on materials provided by Vienna University of Technology. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:Weak Measurement

Sorry, no. Have not kept up to date in QM measurement theory.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:
Azrael wrote:Weak Measurement

Sorry, no. Have not kept up to date in QM measurement theory.
It's an interesting subject.

What's your field? Condensed matter?
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Re: What do you have in your hologram?

Post by Azrael »

This is a fascinating result. Perhaps Maldacena is worthy of a Nobel Prize.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:This is a fascinating result. Perhaps Maldacena is worthy of a Nobel Prize.
Not yet. Physics is an experimental science.

An interesting idea that first has to be put into a form that is falsifiable and then tested.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:
Azrael wrote:This is a fascinating result. Perhaps Maldacena is worthy of a Nobel Prize.

An interesting idea that first has to be put into a form that is falsifiable and then tested.
This may have occurred in 2008.

AdS/CFT was used to calculate the viscosity of a quark-gluon plasma and it was experimentally confirmed at the Relitavistic Heavy Ion Collider.
Last edited by Azrael on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

This may have occurred in 2008.

AdS/CFT was used to calculate the viscosity of a quark-gluon plasma and it was experimentally confirmed at the Large Hadron Collider.
Whatever happened to AdS/CFT and the Quark Gluon Plasma?

Regarding the application of Ads/CFT to condensed matter physics:

Strange connections to strange metals
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

So perhaps no solid confirmation yet.
cultivate a white rose