COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
kmich

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by kmich »

AMA statement on president “terminating” U.S. relationship with WHO
In the grip of a global pandemic that has already killed more than 100,000 Americans, severing ties with the World Health Organization (WHO) serves no logical purpose and makes finding a way out of this public health crisis dramatically more challenging. This senseless action will have significant, harmful repercussions now and far beyond this perilous moment, particularly as the WHO is leading worldwide vaccine development and drug trials to combat the pandemic. COVID-19 affects us all and does not respect borders; defeating it requires the entire world working together. In the strongest terms possible, the American Medical Association urges the president to reverse course and not abandon our country’s leadership position in the global fight against COVID-19.”
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:28 pm AMA statement on president “terminating” U.S. relationship with WHO
In the grip of a global pandemic that has already killed more than 100,000 Americans, severing ties with the World Health Organization (WHO) serves no logical purpose and makes finding a way out of this public health crisis dramatically more challenging. This senseless action will have significant, harmful repercussions now and far beyond this perilous moment, particularly as the WHO is leading worldwide vaccine development and drug trials to combat the pandemic. COVID-19 affects us all and does not respect borders; defeating it requires the entire world working together. In the strongest terms possible, the American Medical Association urges the president to reverse course and not abandon our country’s leadership position in the global fight against COVID-19.”
Serves no logical purpose? We can't even believe anything the WHO says. In the East African Ebola crisis it acted very late. It leader as former Health minister of Ethiopia "lost" 5 million in aid from the US to help people there with HIV. The director also refuses to even acknowledge the existence of Taiwan let alone share information with the country that has been by all standards number one at dealing with the CCP virus.

There is no logical reason to support the WHO
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Relative risk of death update.

2020 - May - 31 |1:32:47 PM EST

Global deaths attributed to COVID-19: 370,416

[Source: JHU - https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 7b48e9ecf6]

Level unchanged. Currently between "Parkinson's disease" and "Homicide"

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png (607.2 KiB) Viewed 872 times

The US continues to lead in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases.

US deaths attributed to COVID-19: 104,051

Level unchanged. Currently between "Lower respiratory Infections" and "Digestive diseases".

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png (551.15 KiB) Viewed 872 times

The number of deaths in the US attributed to COVID-19 on the order of 1968 Pandemic (H3N2 virus) of ~ 100,000 deaths in absolute numbers.

However, normalized by the population

COVID-19: (104,051 / 332,639,000) x 100 = 0.03%

H3N2 [1968]: (100,000 / 203,211,926) x 100 = 0.05%

the percentage of deaths attributed to COVID-19 is lower.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:28 pm AMA statement on president “terminating” U.S. relationship with WHO
Serves no logical purpose? We can't even believe anything the WHO says. In the East African Ebola crisis it acted very late. It leader as former Health minister of Ethiopia "lost" 5 million in aid from the US to help people there with HIV. The director also refuses to even acknowledge the existence of Taiwan let alone share information with the country that has been by all standards number one at dealing with the CCP virus.

There is no logical reason to support the WHO

2nd
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I guess everyone needs a break from the CCP Virus :(
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1221226
Ebola in Congo: 2nd outbreak of Ebola is reported in Congo, WHO says
Yet another health crisis for a country already battling COVID-19 and the world's largest measles outbreak.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 pm I guess everyone needs a break from the CCP Virus :(
Yet another health crisis for a country already battling COVID-19 and the world's largest measles outbreak.
the article never said WHO said it. :?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:36 am
Doc wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:58 pm I guess everyone needs a break from the CCP Virus :(
the article never said WHO said it. :?
Who is on 1st
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Guardian: Governments and WHO changed Covid-19 policy based on suspect data from tiny US company.
The World Health Organization and a number of national governments have changed their Covid-19 policies and treatments on the basis of flawed data from a little-known US healthcare analytics company, also calling into question the integrity of key studies published in some of the world’s most prestigious medical journals.

A Guardian investigation can reveal the US-based company Surgisphere, whose handful of employees appear to include a science fiction writer and an adult-content model, has provided data for multiple studies on Covid-19 co-authored by its chief executive, but has so far failed to adequately explain its data or methodology.
hey! In a rush they pwn'd the Orange Man, so it all evens out.

That's worth more than the deaths, the continuing lack of knowledge, and the former integrity of institutions and journals like the the Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Surgisphere looks to be a shell company:

-----------

This is not an endorsement of HCQ for anything.

It does get me angry because between the dopey health experts and the chicken little media, they have scared a heckuva lot of old people away from a medicine they could use for their arthritis & lupus. And it would be worse if, on the very remote chance, it did help with COVID.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Worth pointing out that there is still no evidence of hydroxy's efficacy. And the amount of air time it has gotten as a miracle cure is absurd. It is clearly not going to work as a prophylactic and it's utterly irresponsible for the White House to be focusing on this rather than the myriad of higher-priority matters they have neglected. Let's look at what successful countries, like South Korea, are doing: not talking about an extremely dangerous drug that likely has a net-negative effect.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm . . . talking about an extremely dangerous drug that likely has a net-negative effect.
This is silly. Hydroxychloroquinine is an essential drug has been used for decades to treat malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, post-Lyme arthritis, and porphyria cutanea tarda. It is part of the WHO List of Essential Medicines. "In 2017, it [hydroxychloroquinine] was the 128th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions." It can have potential serious side effects, however, these can be monitored.

The now retracted paper in The Lancet lead to a halt of large scale prospective clinical trials to determine hydroxychloroquinine efficacy in COVID-19 treatment.

However, you do have a point regarding the promotion of drug X as a "magic bullet". The model country with regards to containing COVID-19 is Taiwan. A key factor has been the widespread use of masks.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm
Zack Morris wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:37 pm . . . talking about an extremely dangerous drug that likely has a net-negative effect.
This is silly. Hydroxychloroquinine is an essential drug has been used for decades to treat malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, post-Lyme arthritis, and porphyria cutanea tarda. It is part of the WHO List of Essential Medicines. "In 2017, it [hydroxychloroquinine] was the 128th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions." It can have potential serious side effects, however, these can be monitored.

The now retracted paper in The Lancet lead to a halt of large scale prospective clinical trials to determine hydroxychloroquinine efficacy in COVID-19 treatment.

However, you do have a point regarding the promotion of drug X as a "magic bullet". The model country with regards to containing COVID-19 is Taiwan. A key factor has been the widespread use of masks.
+1

...though it's easier to be a model country when one is an island with controlled entryways
noddy

Post by noddy »

Australia did pretty good without masks or a compliant culture just because we are a low density island with ruthless borders.

100 deaths, which is nothing, and back to normal now - almost zero restrictions barring a quarantine period for foreign devils.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 am Australia did pretty good without masks or a compliant culture just because we are a low density island with ruthless borders.

100 deaths, which is nothing, and back to normal now - almost zero restrictions barring a quarantine period for foreign devils.
All this braggin' :D
NapLajoieonSteroids

One of the most difficult things I have found throughout the pandemic is breaking through people's magic bullet thinking.

It's been one of the hardest things to combat, from my vantage point.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, the all or nothing viewpoints are frustrating.

on one side it was the no lockdown, let people deal with it in isolation views which ignored how hard it was to make that happen and on the other its one death is too many sheltered middle class folk looking for total lockdown till zero risk.

in my reality, we needed a short lockdown for the medical folks to adjust and learn the disease and also for the various business's to create a system the at risk could isolate themselves properly without needing any help from anyone else.

we have that now, full steam ahead - all shops have isolation protocols for home shopping , the at risk can now handle it themselves and if they do go to hospital, the doctors know how to keep them alive.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I've found it helpful to get people on board in our network by emphasizing that we are 'preparing for' and not 'protecting against' the virus. We are not avoiding it, we are practicing ways to minimize our exposures as best as we are able.

And our greatest abilities to help ourselves were tied to consistency.

-Consistency in hygiene

-Consistency in diet

-Consistency in exercise&rest

-Consistency with travel [if necessary]

-Consistency in monitoring ourselves

If people want superstitions on top of that, I have been reticent to push against it. Arguing the point that the soap they like isn't magical in the midst of thing is not productive.

=============

To that, popular science has not been helpful. All these experts&amateurs going through media outlets and throwing statistics around have not been helpful.

Maybe to the extent of getting people to be aware that something is going on; but it's very hard for some people to climb off the 'abstractions ledge'
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

good points noddy and Napster. but horribly antiquated thinking. or rather only valid in some zip codes.

watching the news, it appears the experts and authorities in some strange far away lands have found the best prevention for COVID-19 overwhelming the local health care system is large public gatherings where the yuge masses of people throw bricks thru windows, set cars on fire, steal sh1t, and beat up strangers never would have met if they weren't practicing their religion.

seems like a religious ritual required by some ancient, tribal belief system. far be it from me to criticize the ancient belief systems of the aggrieved.

in the good ole days, we used to sacrifice virgins or set a goat on fire. too few goats or virgins in NYC these days I guess......

on the plus side, not only does the religion solve COVID-19, it local property more affordable....
Attachments
coronariot.jpg
coronariot.jpg (132.94 KiB) Viewed 672 times
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:20 pm good points noddy and Napster. but horribly antiquated thinking. or rather only valid in some zip codes.

watching the news, it appears the experts and authorities in some strange far away lands have found the best prevention for COVID-19 overwhelming the local health care system is large public gatherings where the yuge masses of people throw bricks thru windows, set cars on fire, steal sh1t, and beat up strangers never would have met if they weren't practicing their religion.

seems like a religious ritual required by some ancient, tribal belief system. far be it from me to criticize the ancient belief systems of the aggrieved.

in the good ole days, we used to sacrifice virgins or set a goat on fire. too few goats or virgins in NYC these days I guess......
calls to mind a passage in Defoe’s Journal of the Plague

Wearing charms, philtres, exorcisms, amulets, and I know not what preparations, to fortify the body with them against the plague; as if the plague was not the hand of God, but a kind of possession of an evil spirit, and that it was to be kept off with crossings, signs of the zodiac, papers tied up with so many knots, and certain words or figures written on them, as particularly the word Abracadabra, formed in triangle or pyramid... Others had the Jesuits' mark in a cross: I H S...

I might spend a great deal of time in my exclamations against the follies, and indeed the wickedness, of those things, in a time of such danger, in a matter of such consequences as this, of a national infection. But my memorandums of these things relate rather to take notice only of the fact, and mention only that it was so. How the poor people found the insufficiency of those things, and how many of them were afterwards carried away in the dead-carts and thrown into the common graves of every parish with these hellish charms and trumpery hanging about their necks, remains to be spoken of as we go along.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:35 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:20 pm good points noddy and Napster. but horribly antiquated thinking. or rather only valid in some zip codes.

calls to mind a passage in Defoe’s Journal of the Plague

Wearing charms, philtres, exorcisms, amulets, and I know not what preparations, to fortify the body with them against the plague; as if the plague was not the hand of God, but a kind of possession of an evil spirit, and that it was to be kept off with crossings, signs of the zodiac, papers tied up with so many knots, and certain words or figures written on them, as particularly the word Abracadabra, formed in triangle or pyramid... Others had the Jesuits' mark in a cross: I H S...

I might spend a great deal of time in my exclamations against the follies, and indeed the wickedness, of those things, in a time of such danger, in a matter of such consequences as this, of a national infection. But my memorandums of these things relate rather to take notice only of the fact, and mention only that it was so. How the poor people found the insufficiency of those things, and how many of them were afterwards carried away in the dead-carts and thrown into the common graves of every parish with these hellish charms and trumpery hanging about their necks, remains to be spoken of as we go along.
are you saying Black Lives Matter t-shirts cause corona virus?