Japan

Doc

Re: Japan

Post by Doc »

Next time you see someone carrying a Yamaha case, just stop and think for a moment. There may be a billionaire inside.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Meanwhile in Japan . . .

DB - Adelstein | Thief in the fire
There are so many scandals surrounding the government of Shinzo Abe and his party that protection is needed.
Who better than the man known as Abe’s “guardian deity?”
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Next time you see someone carrying a Yamaha case, just stop and think for a moment. There may be a billionaire inside.
:lol:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AsiaTime - Adelstein | Tokyo host bars take the heat for Covid-19 revival
Host bars and their disempowered women clients are proving a convenient scapegoat for the disease's persistence in Japan.
noddy

Post by noddy »

somewhere else on the forum, Colonel Sun joked that after India, Australias next millitary alliance would be Japan - both have now happened!

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... .html?btis
The Australian Space Agency, which was established in 2018, will develop a partnership with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency under the memorandum of co-operation.

Mr Morrison and Mr Abe will also discuss ways to deepen their defence and security ties in the wake of China upping its military exercises in the South China Sea.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm somewhere else on the forum, Colonel Sun joked that after India, Australias next millitary alliance would be Japan - both have now happened!

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/fede ... .html?btis
The Australian Space Agency, which was established in 2018, will develop a partnership with the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency under the memorandum of co-operation.

Mr Morrison and Mr Abe will also discuss ways to deepen their defence and security ties in the wake of China upping its military exercises in the South China Sea.
Permanent interests. Both Australia and Japan have no benefits, only disadvantages, in kowtowing to a belligerent CCP.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

JSCRC - Jake Adelstein | Japan’s Longest-Serving PM, Shinzo Abe, Quits in Bid to ‘Escape’ Potential Prosecution
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in his second time at bat lasted longer than anyone before him but he leaves office unable to stomach the job with the public unable to stomach him.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

CS,

Is BLM gaining any ground in Japan?

Have they painted "BRACK RIVES MATTA!" on any major streets over there?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:07 pm CS,

Is BLM gaining any ground in Japan?

Have they painted "BRACK RIVES MATTA!" on any major streets over there?

Enquiring minds want to know!
There were a few small protests, by the usual types, but they quickly lost momentum.

Street graffiti is frowned up by the authorities and the general public.

Shibuya official expresses frustration after American arrested for spraying graffiti
The boy, who arrived in Japan as a tourist on May 30, admitted to the allegations. “I wanted to leave my mark on Japan,” the suspect was quoted by police.
Standard J-perception of such goals:
An employee with a shop that was vandalized by graffiti expressed their frustration. “I think it is wrong to leave your mark if it means causing trouble for others,” said the employee.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

J-perceptions seem typically American, or vice versa. Only those with no skin in the game or no sense of community engage in destruction or defacing of property owned by others or publicly owned.

Public caning would be a nice punishment. Followed by repair (if they have skills) or paying for replacement. Barring that, it would be nice to see the stockade make a comeback.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:44 am J-perceptions seem typically American, or vice versa. Only those with no skin in the game or no sense of community engage in destruction or defacing of property owned by others or publicly owned.
I agree. However, that is not the impression one forms reading the US mainstream media - cities in the US are apparently experiencing spontaneous combustion.
Simple Minded wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:44 am Public caning would be a nice punishment. Followed by repair (if they have skills) or paying for replacement. Barring that, it would be nice to see the stockade make a comeback.
Caning is a Singaporean punishment.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:00 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:44 am J-perceptions seem typically American, or vice versa. Only those with no skin in the game or no sense of community engage in destruction or defacing of property owned by others or publicly owned.
I agree. However, that is not the impression one forms reading the US mainstream media - cities in the US are apparently experiencing spontaneous combustion.
I can't argue with any of that. That's why I like the Baskin-Robbins approach to Western Civilization. 39,000 zip codes, a couple million cultures, pick the ones you want, vote with your feet, and get on with life.
Simple Minded wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:44 am Public caning would be a nice punishment. Followed by repair (if they have skills) or paying for replacement. Barring that, it would be nice to see the stockade make a comeback.
Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:00 pmCaning is a Singaporean punishment.
Seems like not so long ago, most American parents were Singaporeans. I think I see a cause-effect relationship playing out.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This schmuck knows his business.

JSRC - Adelstein | Five-Year Civil War Has Wrecked the Supremacy of the Yakuza
“Five years ago, when the Yamaguchi-gumi split apart, the yakuza world had to reassess the meaning and importance of the bonds cemented by ritual sake drinking,” Takegaki said.

“When you ignore the precepts and rationale of the yakuza world, you call into question the entire structure of the society. This is why no (respectable) yakuza organization bonded with Kobe Yamaguchi-gumi.

“If you’ve drunk the sake, and become disenchanted with that oath of loyalty, then you should just leave the group and go straight. If you don’t have the stomach (to honor the pledge) then don’t drink the sake.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Japan's new PM Suga.

AsiaTImes - Adelstein | How Suga will and won’t change Japan
Japan’s likely incoming premier [now officially LDP head] is a poor guy made good, a tireless worker and a dangerous opponent
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | Meet Japan’s new PM — installed by a gray coup of party insiders
There’s a good chance that nothing that occurs in the new Japanese PM’s tenure will be nearly as interesting as how he got the job in the first place. While not quite in the Belarusian league, Yoshihide Suga’s victory in the ruling Liberal Democratic party leadership election was nonetheless a stitch-up of staggering brazenness for a law-governed democracy.

Suga, 71, the former Chief Cabinet Secretary in Shinzō Abe’s administration, would probably have lost out to rival Shigeru Ishiba had the election been held in the normal way, with all party members given a vote. But Suga’s cause was massively boosted when the party’s secretary general Toshihiro Nikai decided that in a time of ‘emergency’ the franchise should be limited to parliamentary members only, among whom Suga is popular.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Plausable deniability.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... p6500.html
Part Description: Cock Assy-Front Heater
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 pm The Spectator | Meet Japan’s new PM — installed by a gray coup of party insiders
There’s a good chance that nothing that occurs in the new Japanese PM’s tenure will be nearly as interesting as how he got the job in the first place. While not quite in the Belarusian league, Yoshihide Suga’s victory in the ruling Liberal Democratic party leadership election was nonetheless a stitch-up of staggering brazenness for a law-governed democracy.

Suga, 71, the former Chief Cabinet Secretary in Shinzō Abe’s administration, would probably have lost out to rival Shigeru Ishiba had the election been held in the normal way, with all party members given a vote. But Suga’s cause was massively boosted when the party’s secretary general Toshihiro Nikai decided that in a time of ‘emergency’ the franchise should be limited to parliamentary members only, among whom Suga is popular.
the upcoming chaos associated with mail in voting for POTUS should make this look almost professionally competent.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:06 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:29 pm The Spectator | Meet Japan’s new PM — installed by a gray coup of party insiders

the upcoming chaos associated with mail in voting for POTUS should make this look almost professionally competent.
Suga is now officially PM.

Well, it makes the US Democratic party's so-called superdelegates small beer by comparison.

I hope, for the sake of the US, that the upcoming POTUS election is a landslide win for one of the two factions.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator US | Nike Japan’s lecturing was bound to backfire
Nike Japan’s lecturing was bound to backfire
David Ogilvy once said that ‘a good advertisement is one that sells the product without drawing attention to itself’. If so, the new Nike ad currently running in Japan is about as big a failure as you can get. It has certainly drawn plenty of attention to itself, producing more angry denunciations than sales.

. . .

One reason the Nike ad may have been so badly received here is that the Japanese are simply not used to this kind of advertising. Japanese commercials, often far more entertaining than the programs which interrupt them, are blissfully free of this sort of sermonizing. In fact, they are one of the things I feel nostalgic about when I return to the UK, knowing that as soon as I deplane at Heathrow I will be relentlessly battered around the head with messages of diversity from every billboard, poster, and TV commercial I encounter. And it won’t stop until I get back to Japan.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nikkei Asia | Olympic chief sexism row mirrors Japan's 'village politics'
LDP's antiquated hierarchy cannot shelter former PM out of sync with the times
I disagree. Unfortunately, it can and it will.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:35 pm The Spectator US | Nike Japan’s lecturing was bound to backfire
Nike Japan’s lecturing was bound to backfire
David Ogilvy once said that ‘a good advertisement is one that sells the product without drawing attention to itself’. If so, the new Nike ad currently running in Japan is about as big a failure as you can get. It has certainly drawn plenty of attention to itself, producing more angry denunciations than sales.

. . .

One reason the Nike ad may have been so badly received here is that the Japanese are simply not used to this kind of advertising. Japanese commercials, often far more entertaining than the programs which interrupt them, are blissfully free of this sort of sermonizing. In fact, they are one of the things I feel nostalgic about when I return to the UK, knowing that as soon as I deplane at Heathrow I will be relentlessly battered around the head with messages of diversity from every billboard, poster, and TV commercial I encounter. And it won’t stop until I get back to Japan.
Thanks for posting CS. I wonder if those ads are working anywhere. If so, with whom?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 am Nikkei Asia | Olympic chief sexism row mirrors Japan's 'village politics'
Well, I was wrong.

Seems that near instant global dissemination of news can have an impact, even in the insular LDP.

Nikkei Asia | Tokyo scrambles to find new Olympic chief after Mori resigns
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:58 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 am Nikkei Asia | Olympic chief sexism row mirrors Japan's 'village politics'
Well, I was wrong.

Seems that near instant global dissemination of news can have an impact, even in the insular LDP.

Nikkei Asia | Tokyo scrambles to find new Olympic chief after Mori resigns
In his position (pun intended), I would not have resigned. I would have pushed to make sexual harassment an officially sanctioned Olympic sport.