Sailing

And they're off . . .
Typhoon

Sport

Post by Typhoon »

FT |Trimaran smashes round-the-world record

NcsgAC-HF3k
French sailor Loïck Peyron and his crew of 13 broke the world record for circumnavigating the globe nonstop under sail at the weekend in their trimaran Banque Populaire V, winning the Jules Verne trophy in a time of just 45 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 53 seconds.

Helped by onshore weather forecasters using satellite imagery, and the development of lightweight multihull boats that travel as fast as petrol-driven speedboats but use only the wind, sailors such as Mr Peyron have sharply reduced the time taken to go around the world by sea in recent years. The journey used to take months.

“There was a time when one couldn’t imagine doing it in less than 80 days. It was thought a crazy thing,” Mr Peyron, 52, said after completing the journey of 29,002 nautical miles at an average speed of 26.51 knots.

“Now, a few years later, it’s 45 days, and in a few years it’ll be less. Even this boat is capable of doing it in less, with slightly better weather conditions to shorten the distance.”

Banque Populaire beat the previous record set in 2010 by Groupama III, another French boat, by nearly three days, and also set other sailing records during the journey.
France is home to many of the world’s fastest long-distance sailors, and Brian Thompson, a British crew member, described Mr Peyron as “the best multihull sailor there is”.
aKUwK4NOUs8
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Antipatros

Re: Sport

Post by Antipatros »

Some of us are old enough to remember the brigantine Yankee and its many voyages around the world. A classic National Geographic special featured it, to the delight of millions. These two brigantines are named after its owners.

Racing Square Riggers- Exy Johnson vs Irving Johnson
Sx8WzlVKLps
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

America's Cup

mvxtqUvWIvc
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Shelagh Mackenzie and Kent Nason, Singlehanders (1982)

49 min 25 s

http://www.nfb.ca/film/singlehanders/
Follow 2 Canadians, Bob Lush and Mike Birch, aboard their yachts during the 1980 Observer Singlehanded Transatlantic Race. More than a record of this prestigious international sailing event, the resulting film is the starting point for an epic of challenge and determination.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Azrael

Re: Sailing

Post by Azrael »

Volvo Ocean Race round the World
cultivate a white rose
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Y6KxfSPeJeo
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Wonderful.

Thanks for posting.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

icu1Lk6flKc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

54425446_10157320289352454_5484135863568826368_n.jpg
54425446_10157320289352454_5484135863568826368_n.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
noddy

Post by noddy »

i get proper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian_horror from the deep ocean, cant intellectualise my way out of it, only suffer it.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

0lA51LSm9f4

No serious injuries among the crew. The boat will need a bit of work.

I595VdiBLRo
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Prada Cup final. First team to win 7 races earns the right to compete against New Zealand for the America's Cup.

Day 2. Italy 4 | UK 0

_T4rIljV1r0
noddy

Post by noddy »

heres a ship you need work songs for.
ship.jpg
ship.jpg (267.74 KiB) Viewed 3329 times
http://abrushwithsail.blogspot.com/2012 ... tward.html

this photo is the susanne
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A beautiful schooner.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Prada Cup.

Italy 7 | UK 1

Italy wins 7 races and is now the challenger against New Zealand for the America's Cup.

cVWwiPsaa74
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

rules_of_yacth_racing_n.jpg
rules_of_yacth_racing_n.jpg (167.03 KiB) Viewed 2924 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I have participated in 3 regattas. The only part I ever understood was the 4AM phone call saying, “Nonc! We need ballast! Can you get here?”
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

L8eq8hoUhBE
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Sailing boats look beautiful looking at .. but they extremely uncomfortable .. they only good for fanatic spartan sailing enthusiast.

Good to look at, from a distance.
noddy

Post by noddy »

without wishing to piss in the punchbowl, its one of the things i agree with azari about.

looks much better than experiencing it - i loved pottering around tropical islands in calm conditions but caught in big ocean swells, I hated every moment of it and wanted to die.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Coming abou….THWOCK!

Some of my best times were getting laid on a Hobie Cat in High School. We had a drive-in theatre visible from the lake. No sound from the movie so we made our own.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila