Romania

Ibrahim

Re: Romania

Post by Ibrahim »

I don't even know if somebody already mentioned this, but I just found out about it and boy am I excited.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/3 ... ml#s217388
Romania New Year's Bear Ritual

While people across the globe gear up for New Year's Eve, the people of Romania have a very specific custom for doing so.

In a rural tradition, people wearing brightly colored costumes or animal furs travel to different houses dancing to ward off evil. According to the AP, the tradition is becoming urban as the economic downturn pushes the performers into the city to dance for money.

Check out the festivities in the town of Comanesti, Romania. Is this any crazier than your average New Year's Eve?
Pics after the jump, plus check out this champion:

YMix

Post by YMix »

Old pagan rituals, mostly involving bears (cu ursu') and goats (cu capra).

Traditional goat and masks.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Ymix wrote:Old pagan rituals, mostly involving bears (cu ursu') and goats (cu capra).
If you know of any good books on the subject in English please share.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:Old pagan rituals, mostly involving bears (cu ursu') and goats (cu capra).

Traditional goat and masks.
Nice work. Those would sell well in the US.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Economist | Hungary and Romania: Flag wars
A visitor to London would not expect to see a car sticker showing the British empire from India to Australia. A tourist in Paris would be equally surprised to see a map of France including Algeria and Tahiti.

Yet a decal of Greater Hungary is a surprisingly common sight on vehicles in Budapest. Before Hungary lost two thirds of its territories at the Treaty of Trianon in 1920, its borders, as part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, reached deep into present-day Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Ukraine and Croatia.

Almost a century later, the scars of Trianon are still raw, which is why a diplomatic war has erupted between Hungary and Romania. Earlier this month, Titus Corlatean, the Romanian foreign minister, threatened to expel Oszkár Füzes, the Hungarian ambassador to Romania.
The standard for those who dream about a Greater Whateverstan should be

1/ demonstrate that you manage what you have far better than anyone else managers their bit of planet;

2/ get over it and mind your own business
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Politicians from a country plagued by severe economic problems decide to stir some lavender with flags. Politicians from the other country are only too happy to respond and get their own political and economic crises off the front pages for a while. Nationalism has its uses.
It is now becoming clear that the dispute between Hungary and Romania over the Treaty of Trianon was only deep-frozen during the Communist era.
No, it wasn't. The Soviet Union played Hungary and Romania against each other for decades by promising to throw its support behind one or the other. They never allowed the matter to rest.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ibrahim wrote:If you know of any good books on the subject in English please share.
Hmmm, I'll see if I can find something.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Typhoon wrote:Economist | Hungary and Romania: Flag wars
A visitor to London would not expect to see a car sticker showing the British empire from India to Australia. A tourist in Paris would be equally surprised to see a map of France including Algeria and Tahiti.

Yet a decal of Greater Hungary is a surprisingly common sight on vehicles in Budapest. Before Hungary lost two thirds of its territories at the Treaty of Trianon in 1920, its borders, as part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, reached deep into present-day Romania, Slovakia, Serbia, Ukraine and Croatia.

Almost a century later, the scars of Trianon are still raw, which is why a diplomatic war has erupted between Hungary and Romania. Earlier this month, Titus Corlatean, the Romanian foreign minister, threatened to expel Oszkár Füzes, the Hungarian ambassador to Romania.
The standard for those who dream about a Greater Whateverstan should be

1/ demonstrate that you manage what you have far better than anyone else managers their bit of planet;

2/ get over it and mind your own business

viz. Gibraltar and "Las Islas Malvinas". Tahiti is still French, btw. Given how well it coped under "goulash Communism" in the latter days of the Soviet empire, and the fact that it is a cultured place, Hungary has really done very badly both economically and politically since 1989. Re Transylvania, a Hungarian minority was surrounded by Romanians, so it is difficult to see how any nationalistic solution could be ideal. Southern Slovakia was clearly Hungarian, but these days there are more jobs in Slovakia....

I gather that Transylvanians of all language communities feel themselves to be a cut above other Romanians anyway.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Torchwood wrote:I gather that Transylvanians of all language communities feel themselves to be a cut above other Romanians anyway.
That is correct.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Torchwood wrote:viz. Gibraltar and "Las Islas Malvinas".
It's pretty pathetic how they keep bringing it up. As long as a majority of the population in both places wishes to remain tied to the UK, they should shut up already.
Tahiti is still French, btw.
You'll probably agree with me that they're probably better off French.
Given how well it coped under "goulash Communism" in the latter days of the Soviet empire, and the fact that it is a cultured place, Hungary has really done very badly both economically and politically since 1989.
Yes. It's a huge disappointment.
Re Transylvania, a Hungarian minority was surrounded by Romanians, so it is difficult to see how any nationalistic solution could be ideal.
Agreed. Perhaps a bit more autonomy would be ideal.
Southern Slovakia was clearly Hungarian,
But this is mainly due to the Magyarization that took place during the period between the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 and World War I.

Here's an interesting map

but these days there are more jobs in Slovakia....
Yes, and how well Slovakia has done since the velvet divorce has been a pleasant surprise.
I gather that Transylvanians of all language communities feel themselves to be a cut above other Romanians anyway.
I can't speak to that, but our resident Romania expert already has.
cultivate a white rose
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Who would have thought the Filly Steak and cheese would have been so popular overseas
Been busy doing stuff
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

How do you translate "throw under the bus" into Romanian? The literal translation does not seem quite satisfactory...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... e-18752392

Yup, the Americans leave, and the Poles and Romanians end up empty-handed with the irate neighbor ... bearing down on them.

I think the best I can translation I come up with is "Isi baga p...a"
YMix

Post by YMix »

Taboo wrote:How do you translate "throw under the bus" into Romanian? The literal translation does not seem quite satisfactory...
Lăsat cu curu-n baltă?
Yup, the Americans leave, and the Poles and Romanians end up empty-handed with the irate neighbor ... bearing down on them.
That would not be surprising. It's pretty much what I expected to happen from the beginning. Still, we're not there yet. Romania is still part of the US army's logistic chain and we still have a strategic alliance with it. Given that Romania has been under cyber attack for more than a year, you can bet that the US is heavily involved in this part of the conflict as well. Wikileaks showed many Romanian politicians reported regularly to the US ambassador and it's quite likely that part of the Romanian Intelligence Service (SRI) is still cooperating quite closely with the CIA. After all, we've done their dirty work torturing terrorism suspects.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Former US ambassador to Bucharest Mark Gitenstein is running for a seat on the Proprietatea Fund’s (FP) Committee of Representatives, being the first on the list of candidates in the elections scheduled on April 25. He was proposed by the Emerging Markets Country Fund investments fund, according to the information published on the FP website

Gitenstein is a lawyer by trade and was US ambassador to Bucharest for over three years. He finished his term in December last year and returned to the United States of America. Candidacies can be filed until April 3.

Proprietatea Fund shareholders will elect on April 25-26 two new members of the Committee of Representatives, considering that the terms of Sorin Mindrutescu (chairman of the Committee and head of Oracle) and Cristian Busu will expire on September 29. The terms of the new members will start on September 30.

The Committee of Representatives supervises the activity of American company Franklin Templeton, the Proprietatea Fund’s administrator. The other three members are the representatives of FP’s biggest shareholders. Elliott Associates, the biggest shareholder, is represented by Steven van Groningen, President Raiffeisen Bank, and by Piotr Rymaszewski, CEO of Poland’s Octava NFI investment management company. City of London, the Fund’s second biggest shareholder, is represented within the Committee by Julian Rupert Francis Healy.
But now I've seen the payoffs
Everywhere I look
Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Honest Politician - One who stays bought......

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:
Former US ambassador to Bucharest Mark Gitenstein is running for a seat on the Proprietatea Fund’s (FP) Committee of Representatives, being the first on the list of candidates in the elections scheduled on April 25. He was proposed by the Emerging Markets Country Fund investments fund, according to the information published on the FP website

Gitenstein is a lawyer by trade and was US ambassador to Bucharest for over three years. He finished his term in December last year and returned to the United States of America. Candidacies can be filed until April 3.

Proprietatea Fund shareholders will elect on April 25-26 two new members of the Committee of Representatives, considering that the terms of Sorin Mindrutescu (chairman of the Committee and head of Oracle) and Cristian Busu will expire on September 29. The terms of the new members will start on September 30.

The Committee of Representatives supervises the activity of American company Franklin Templeton, the Proprietatea Fund’s administrator. The other three members are the representatives of FP’s biggest shareholders. Elliott Associates, the biggest shareholder, is represented by Steven van Groningen, President Raiffeisen Bank, and by Piotr Rymaszewski, CEO of Poland’s Octava NFI investment management company. City of London, the Fund’s second biggest shareholder, is represented within the Committee by Julian Rupert Francis Healy.
Everywhere I look

Thank you Very Much for your post, YMix

Everywhere I look
[/quote]

Remembering Heinlein's definition of an honest politician: One who stays bought. ;)
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
YMix

Post by YMix »

Patrushev in Bucharest: Russia Resetting Relations with Romania?
Publication: Eurasia Daily Monitor Volume: 10 Issue: 118
June 21, 2013 03:15 PM
By: Vladimir Socor

The Barack Obama Administration’s first-term “reset” of the United States’ relations with Russia set in motion a trend in Europe. A number of European governments have adapted the US-Russia “reset” model to their specific situations, initiating similar processes bilaterally with Russia. In Western Europe, such initiatives have sometimes ignored or overstepped European Union and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) policies and solidarity. Countries in Central and Eastern Europe, however, can only do this at their peril. For those countries, closing ranks with allies is the only possible premise for improved relations with Russia.

Moving pre-emptively to “reset” relations is a poor basis for approaching Russia. The initiating government implicitly accepts responsibility for the unsatisfactory state of its relations with Moscow. By the same token, the initiator will bear the main burden for making the reset work as hoped-for. The initiating country, moreover, signals thereby that it needs Russia, more than Russia needs it. This underscores an imbalance of interests from the outset of this process, affecting its future course in Russia’s favor.

In Central and Eastern Europe, especially, this imbalance of interests will compound the imbalances in resources between Russia and the reset-initiating country. Such a country will typically seek energy supplies or market access in Russia. The Russians will often condition their response on being allowed to dominate specific economic sectors in the soliciting countries. Moscow will use this process to build up, in those countries, economic and political interest groups vested in special relationships with Russia, which are often incompatible with Western policies or norms. This poses special risks to countries with weak institutions in Central and Eastern Europe. There, the capacity to handle this challenge varies widely, from country to country and even between governing parties within the same country.

On June 17, Russia’s Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev visited with Romanian President Traian Basescu in Bucharest, undoubtedly at President Vladimir Putin’s instruction (Adevarul, June 18). This visit may prove the most consequential bilateral meeting after 22 chilly years, during which Romanian-Russian high-level contacts were exceedingly rare, and the overall relations difficult. Patrushev’s visit itself testifies to Basescu’s competent handling of this uneasy relationship.

First, Basescu has avoided the error of initiating a “reset” in Romanian-Russian relations. Instead, he has waited patiently until Moscow itself finally moved, if not to “reset,” then at least to defrost relations.

Second, Basescu has embarked on this exercise as a confirmed pro-US president, reflecting a solid public consensus about close ties with Washington. In accepting a Russian overture, Bucharest holds the cards of a bilateral strategic partnership with the United States that works effectively in Romania’s case.

Third, the president has successfully stabilized the internal situation after the 2012 political crisis. The Social-Democrat Party, dominant in the government, has learned to co-habitate with Basescu. Moscow had attempted to instigate Basescu’s removal from office during that crisis, attacking him as subservient to the West (see Vladimir Socor, “Voice of Russia Campaigns for Removal of Romanian President Basescu,” The Jamestown Foundation – Hot Issue series, August 20, 2012; and EDM, September 10, 2012).

Patrushev’s visit shows that Moscow has concluded that it must reach out to the incumbent Romanian leadership. It is no secret in Romania that Basescu’s effective work with the intelligence services made it possible to protect the constitutional order in 2012 and stabilize the internal situation, maintaining at the same time the services’ political neutrality.

On June 18, one day after Patrushev’s visit, John Brennan, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), met with Basescu and the Romanian internal and external intelligence chiefs in Bucharest. Brennan paid an unusual public tribute to the Romanian intelligence services’ “professionalism, competence, resolve, motivation, integrity and courage. Both SIE and SRI [the external and internal service, respectively] are truly remarkable, and we appreciate it” (Evenimentul Zilei, June 19).

Basescu’s national security adviser, Iulian Fota, told the press that Brennan’s and Patrushev’s visits are in no way equivalent. “Brennan’s visit is that of an ally. We do not equate the US and Russia; let no one imagine this” (Ziare.ro, June 19).

Patrushev and Fota signed a memorandum on cooperation between Russia’s Security Council and Romania’s Higher Council for the Country’s Defense. According to a summary for Romanian media, the document envisages cooperation against terrorists, transnational criminality and illicit trafficking of various types, money laundering and cyber crime.

Briefing the media at the presidential palace after Patrushev’s visit, Basescu said that he could not comprehend Russia’s objections to the US anti-missile system, one of whose installations is being built in Romania’s southwest. Basescu had to explain again for Patrushev that the system is not directed against Russia, is inherently defensive, and does not warrant the provision of any “guarantees” such as Russia seeks. “What we can do is show what is written in the agreement with the US.”

Basescu raised the Transnistria conflict with Patrushev. “We could not fail to discuss a problem of such importance to Romania’s security. The Republic of Moldova must be whole, with the Chisinau government exercising full authority [over] the entire territory of that country.”

The president voiced his hope that Patrushev’s visit would be followed by more active political contacts and economic exchanges. Basescu expressed his willingness to visit Russia “if invited” (Evenimentul Zilei, June 18).

Such an invitation seems unlikely during Basescu’s remaining time in office until the end of 2014. However, Foreign Affairs Minister Titus Corlatean apparently is invited to Russia later this year, and Prime Minister Victor Ponta expects to visit Russia in 2014. Previous contacts at those levels took place in 2004 and 2009, respectively. Bucharest had sought more frequent exchanges of such visits. Moscow demurred, signaling its displeasure with Romania’s foreign policies, but also reflecting the relatively low priority of this relationship to both sides.

Russian-Romanian relations are generally marked by indifference on the Russian side, and indifference with caution and mistrust on the Romanian side. Quite apart from negative historical experience, Romanian perspectives are currently informed by Russia’s brutal pressures on the Republic of Moldova, by the Gazprom monopoly’s exorbitant prices charged to Romania, and by Moscow’s propaganda against the US missile shield in Romania—a project that, to Romanians, implies American military presence on the ground and commitment to the country’s security in the future. More consistently than any country in the region, Romania supports energy supply diversification projects with Western partners.

These contentious issues, while non-dramatic, are not being offset by anything significantly positive thus far in Russian-Romanian relations. Russian industrial investment in Romania is relatively modest, and the bilateral trade balance is hugely lopsided in Russia’s favor on account of natural gas. Apart from this, Russia and Romania have little to offer each other. They generally understand this and are therefore not driven by a sense of urgency to expand bilateral relations. Russian petrodollar-financed “soft power” may be spreading over other countries, but not in Romania to any significant degree thus far.

By this time, Moscow is apparently learning to live with Bucharest’s pro-Western strategic choices in foreign and security policies. Basescu has helped to institutionalize those policies firmly since 2005 as president. In Romania’s case, it is Moscow who seems to be initiating a “reset” of relations, hoping perhaps to shift their basis over time.
Not a bad article. However:

1) "Third, the president has successfully stabilized the internal situation after the 2012 political crisis." - No, he didn't. Basescu is a lame duck with close to zero influence on the Parliament. The situation was stabilized by the European Union (Merkel) who most likely threatened Prime Minister Ponta in no uncertain terms. Nearly one year after the unpleasant autumn of 2012, Ponta is still trying to make friends in Western Europe. His latest meeting with Merkel lasted... 4 minutes.

2) "By this time, Moscow is apparently learning to live with Bucharest’s" - By this time, Moscow is busy stirring up sh!t in Transnistria. By this time, Russian viruses, botnets and whatever have probably gathered everything worth knowing about Romania.
YMix

Post by YMix »

‘The Arab Spring, the Turkish Summer, The Romanian Autumn’: Romanian protests as a model of peaceful demonstration

The first line of the title is one of the slogans used by thousands of Romanian protesters who have taken to the streets of several Romanian cities, including the capital, Bucharest, for the fifth day consecutively. They oppose the government’s recent approval of a draft legislation on an open-pit cyanide-based mining project at Rosia Montana. According to Gabriel Resources Ltd., the Canadian company behind the scheme, the plan for the project is to dig up the estimated 314 tons of gold squirreled away in Rosia Montana using an astonishing amount of 40 tons of cyanide per day. The Romanian protesters expressed their resistance to the project and demanded the government’s resignation, while sending a similar warning signal to the opposition.

These protests can be considered a model of nonviolent resistance for environmental and non-environmental causes alike, through their focus on community education and awareness raising, their use of arts to promote their message and their strategically organized sit-ins. Facing a lack of TV coverage of their demonstrations, the protesters have found alternative outlets, such as social media platforms, to raise awareness about their actions. Apart from their international relevance, the protests mark a historic moment for Romania, as they not only capture the fact that the Romanian public is increasingly determined to make its voice heard and demand respect and proper representation by those in power, but also that it has learned how to effectively express its demands.

More at the link
New York:

Tokyo:

Washington DC:

Berlin, the Romanian Embassy:

Probably above Bucharest:

Bucharest, day 8
YMix

Post by YMix »

Solidarity action by Gezi protestors from İstanbul for the people who are resisting againts golding mining in Rosia Montana in Romania.

eS0BCCzzzzU

Video from the protests:

pIB66dr-JRQ

Bucharest, above the Magheru Avenue, as the column marches below.

Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Jean shorts? I thought Europeans were supposed to have class and style.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The only man who ever truly rocked the jean short. It's for him and him alone. Note the difference in pictures, Low T vs plenty of T.

Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YMix

Post by YMix »

As of yesterday, the Rosia Montana gold mining project seems to have met its end. Crin Antonescu, president of the Senate and leader of the National Liberal Party (PNL), declared his opposition to the project, thus forcing Prime Minister Victor Ponta, of the Social Democratic Party (PSD), to say that the only thing left is to see the bill defeated swiftly in the Parliament.

The PNL and PSD are partners in an uneasy coalition (USL) and this move on Antonescu's part is, in my opinion, an attempt to win some popularity (too late for that) and to teach Ponta and the PSD that the PNL can still make their lives hard. Following the tradition of Romanian political coalitions, the USL members have been drifting apart and stabbing each other in the back since they got to power.
Romanian PM says Rosia Montana gold mine is ‘case closed’, expects Parliament majority to reject it after a week of protests

The Rosia Montana gold mining project has been declared ‘case closed’ by Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta, who said the week long street protests in Bucharest and across Romania had achieved their aim.

The PM said there was no discussion within the Social Liberal Union (USL) about rejecting the project but political leaders did speak before the decision was made.

The PM’s announcement came an hour after USL co-leader and speaker of the Romanian Senate Crin Antonescu said he opposed the draft law which permitted Rosia Montana Gold Corporation to extract gold from the central Romanian town.

As the Government had approved the draft bill, it was the Parliament’s turn to approve or reject the project.

But, preempting the vote, the PM said the best solution was for Parliament to reject the proposal. Considering that there is a parliament majority against the project, it will most likely not pass.

The PM however warned that Romania could face a lawsuit from the investor, Canadian firm Gabriel Resources, the majority shareholder in the gold mining firm Rosia Montana Gold Corporation, which has been pursuing this project since 1998.

But the Government should be exempt from any fault, according to the PM, who earlier explained the Government approved the gold mining project and left it for the Parliament to decide mainly to protect itself from a potential law suit, after years of delaying a decision.

The statements came after a week of street protests in Bucharest and in other large Romanian cities, where thousands of people took to the streets against the use of cyanide and its impact on the environment, should the Rosia Montana project be approved.
YMix

Post by YMix »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Oh, and this:
Huge Treasure Discovered Near Ramnicu Valcea, Romania

Over 50 kilograms of Ottoman silver coins were discovered by a local in Goleşti, Valcea county, Romania. These coins are from the beginning of the 15th century, when Sultan Murat the IInd ruled, and the authorities are now recovering this important treasure stated Daniel Barbu, the Culture Minister.

Buried for over six centuries, these coins, called “aspri” or “accee”, are indeed really valuable. In their time, a person could have purchased an important and big property in Wallachia.

The coins circulated in that period in the Ottoman Empire, as well as in the Romanian Countries, Hungary and Italy.

The National Museum of History said that this treasure is the largest hoard of silver found and recovered in Romania and entered into a public collection. After the complete recovery of this hoard, the museum will host a press conference with more details about the treasure.

Also, in the area where this treasure was discovered – by accident – by the local, there will be further archaeological excavation.

It also appears that the local who discovered the treasure and announced the authorities will receive a significant reward after curators will estimate the value of the treasure.

It seems that this period is one with great archaeological discoveries all over the world – as recently in Africa was discovered Gondwana’s oldest land-living creature. There was another important discovery made in Romania recently: a 20,000-year-old stone pendant found in Eastern Romania.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Jean shorts? I thought Europeans were supposed to have class and style.
Looks okay to me.
Mr. Perfect wrote:The only man who ever truly rocked the jean short. It's for him and him alone. Note the difference in pictures, Low T vs plenty of T.
While there's certainly nothing wrong with your admiration for sweaty, brawny men in tight jean shorts, I'll pass.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Watch that homophobia. In the US jean shorts are for what we call "Walmart people".