The Essence of the Cult of Abraham

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Ibrahim

Re: The Essence of the Cult of Abraham

Post by Ibrahim »

Torchwood wrote:
Ibrahim wrote:I've always found the various miracles of science to be very uninspiring. DNA, the scale of the cosmos, all these discoveries are scientifically valuable, but I don't find them particularly moving. Looking at the stars seems like a better pass-time than actual astronomy to me, at least in terms of therapeutic value.

Religion and history speak more to the human ego, which is a shrewd choice where humans are concerned.
If I look out at the stars and think: a bunch of apes have worked out how far those are (literally billions of miles in most cases), what they are made of, and how this universe evolved. Despite the gaps and errors yet to be discovered in our knowledge, this fills me with awe.

That's another way of looking at it too, just not mine. Some people who love art want to read all about the life and times of their favorite artists, and their inspirations and intents. I don't do that either, I only want to consider the works themselves. Knowing more about the measure or origins of something doesn't necessarily enhance it's aesthetic or emotional appeal, though it has practical applications.