Northern Europe Vs Southern Europe

Simple Minded

Re: Northern Europe Vs Southern Europe

Post by Simple Minded »

Endovelico wrote:
Parodite wrote:Gosh Endo, you might even one day empathise with us if things go on like this.
Let me tell you a story:

Some years ago I was working for a financial institution and I had an interview, near Lisbon, with the Swedish manager of a Swedish firm in Portugal. The meeting was scheduled for 12 noon. I was at his office at the appointed time and the Swede arrived 30 minutes late. It was Spring and he looked quite cheerful, a big smile on his face, and no apology whatsoever for being late! I realized he had been completely subverted by our ways, forgetting that while we enjoy life we can also be on time... He thought that enjoying life and being on time were incompatible... That's when I realized we could beat them... :D
maybe he just went out for a nooner with a southern belle...

or as the Borg say "you will be assimilated..... resistance is futile....
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Hey! The North hardly whines... more a Southern thingie :P
Right-e-o. The South wines, the North beers . . .
Oddly enough, in the US, the north wines while the south beers........

almost common ground...
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Parodite wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Parodite wrote:Gosh Endo, you might even one day empathise with us if things go on like this.
Let me tell you a story:

Some years ago I was working for a financial institution and I had an interview, near Lisbon, with the Swedish manager of a Swedish firm in Portugal. The meeting was scheduled for 12 noon. I was at his office at the appointed time and the Swede arrived 30 minutes late. It was Spring and he looked quite cheerful, a big smile on his face, and no apology whatsoever for being late! I realized he had been completely subverted by our ways, forgetting that while we enjoy life we can also be on time... He thought that enjoying life and being on time were incompatible... That's when I realized we could beat them... :D
:D Now I wonder what happens when a Southerner has an appointment in Sweden...probably much too early so he will be home before his warm and sunny siesta?
A warm and sunny "siesta" ("sesta" in Portuguese) in Sweden?... :shock:
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Endovelico wrote:
Parodite wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Let me tell you a story:

:D Now I wonder what happens when a Southerner has an appointment in Sweden...probably much too early so he will be home before his warm and sunny siesta?
A warm and sunny "siesta" ("sesta" in Portuguese) in Sweden?... :shock:
Thought he'd take the first flight back to the South where the good life is ;)
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Re: Better or Worse?

Post by YMix »

monster_gardener wrote:Honest Questions:

Better or Worse Overall: Soviet times or now.....?
This is a huge question. I could not do it justice in a couple of words. :)
What that is important to you is better or worse?

Getting better or worse?
What's important to me is getting worse.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Re: Better or Worse?

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:Honest Questions:

Better or Worse Overall: Soviet times or now.....?
What that is important to you is better or worse?

Getting better or worse?
Thank You VERY MUCH for Your Post and Maintaining the Forum, YMix

Please feel free to say on........ Many words are good too....
Again, please feel free to say more if you are willing....

Right now I am imagining something like Dmitri Orlov's description of how Russia managed to muddle through after the fall of the Soviet Union.....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

This Southerner's vision about Europe explains why I am a Northern free market libertarian who doesn't want to live in a United States of Europe. With such deluded minds there is no common future. Only perpetual war in the parliament.
Did The Dutch Start The End Of Social Europe?

The Dutch government’s recent announcement that the welfare state will be substituted by an undefined “participative society” may be the news story of the year — or at least deserves to be. No doubt the headlines oversimplify as usual. But the alarm is sounding: if the Dutch, who are a paradigm of wealth, efficiency, and democracy and are at home in the globalised world, declare the European social model defunct, what can we expect in politically hobbled, closed societies like ours? How not to be depressed if we are told that the havoc wrought by austerity policies will mean the unsustainability of the chief hallmarks of the EU social model, which we see as a natural aspiration for any individual or nation? Does this mean that Europe will no longer progress, that it has hit a ceiling and can now only recede?

[...]
Deep down I'm very superficial
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Parodite wrote:This Southerner's vision about Europe explains why I am a Northern free market libertarian who doesn't want to live in a United States of Europe. With such deluded minds there is no common future. Only perpetual war in the parliament.
Did The Dutch Start The End Of Social Europe?

The Dutch government’s recent announcement that the welfare state will be substituted by an undefined “participative society” may be the news story of the year — or at least deserves to be. No doubt the headlines oversimplify as usual. But the alarm is sounding: if the Dutch, who are a paradigm of wealth, efficiency, and democracy and are at home in the globalised world, declare the European social model defunct, what can we expect in politically hobbled, closed societies like ours? How not to be depressed if we are told that the havoc wrought by austerity policies will mean the unsustainability of the chief hallmarks of the EU social model, which we see as a natural aspiration for any individual or nation? Does this mean that Europe will no longer progress, that it has hit a ceiling and can now only recede?

[...]
I suppose Northern Europeans can always rebuild some kind of Hanseatic League dedicated to the greatest possible exploitation of anyone not fortunate enough to live in their cold and soggy countries.