Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 am
On the other hand, the video about tacos and Marvel movies did fail to strike a chord.
its meta humour/injoke stuff based on youtube culture.

on one side are the "serious" arts types looking down their nose at the comic movies , on the other side are the man child angry types analysing the comic movies like they are serious arts, and getting upset at trivial details.

in an abstract way, he managed to poke at both sides.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

and here I was thinking it was a pasquinade :)

As Marty would say, if he just calmed down a bit and thought this through,

this guy quoting Adam Smith hits on something too:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:56 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:22 am
On the other hand, the video about tacos and Marvel movies did fail to strike a chord.
its meta humour/injoke stuff based on youtube culture.

on one side are the "serious" arts types looking down their nose at the comic movies , on the other side are the man child angry types analysing the comic movies like they are serious arts, and getting upset at trivial details.

in an abstract way, he managed to poke at both sides.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

The analogous term in Japanese for man-child [women-child?] is otaku which, for better or worse, Japan does not lack.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

35jJNyFuYKQ

'The White Tiger' blows colorism and the caste system wide open
- James Killough, pfc, 29 January 2021
https://www.purefilmcreative.com/killou ... -open.html

This year in particular the caste system is of paramount importance to Americans, even if most don’t realize it: Kamala Harris’ mother was a Tamil Brahmin. It’s the reason she’s so fair-skinned and aristocratic: Colorism, the social ranking of an individual by skin tone, is a huge part of the caste system, as it is in much of Black American culture. ...

... To my eyes as a man whose wife and brother-in-law are both North Indian/Aryan Brahmins, I didn’t need to look up what Harris’ mother’s caste was; it was obvious from Harris’ skin tone, despite the fact she’s half Black Jamaican and half Dravidian, as well as her bearing and articulate wit and brightness — it’s generally a bad idea to argue with certain kinds of Brahmins, and Kamala is one of them. ...

... I’m not using “was a Tamil Brahmin” only because Harris’ mother is deceased, but because she lost caste when she married an Untouchable. All non-Hindus are born “out of caste,” which is how we get the word ‘outcast’; therefore, all foreigners are Untouchables, Jamaicans included, even if Rastafarian culture is directly descended from esoteric Hinduism, as we can see from the sadhu-like dreadlocks… but never mind that tangent.

... My brother-in-law didn’t lose caste when he married my sister — he’s a man. The rule only affects women. Having said that, most temple pujaris can tell my white tigress of a wife has a direct line to Lord Shiva — she might be the odd exception to the caste-cancellation rule for women. But that’s just one of the reasons she’s married to a gay Untouchable.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:21 pm 35jJNyFuYKQ

'The White Tiger' blows colorism and the caste system wide open
- James Killough, pfc, 29 January 2021
https://www.purefilmcreative.com/killou ... -open.html
Excellent article Apollonius. Thanks for posting. I found this interesting:

" Colorism, the social ranking of an individual by skin tone, is a huge part of the caste system, as it is in much of Black American culture.

Colorism is alien to most Whites because, contrary to the orthodoxy of those woke non-Whites who are somehow able to speak about our experience, race and skin tone aren’t a preoccupation for the vast majority of us. It’s not because of what is known as “White fragility” — if an issue doesn’t doesn’t affect people directly it doesn’t deserve to be pondered in great depth. There are already too many other issues that engage White fight-or-flight instincts without adding the burden of fears and frustrations that don’t threaten us.
"

I guess as a member of a group that doesn't really consider skin color as a meaningful factor, simply because almost every other factor one can fathom is more influential in the quality of one's life, I'm kinda out of the woke loop. Kind of like discussing Tibetan pop music lyrics, "It's all Greek to me."

the article is also an excellent illustration of when one bets the farm on one's skin tone, and the skin tone of other people, there isn't any wiggle room to discuss other factors that may have a greater result on increasing the quality of life. Skill sets, responsibility, education, proficiency in arithmetic and language, punctuality, reliability, etc, all become methods of "avoiding a serious conversation about race."

The article also reminds me of:
1. Chris Rock's comments about Jussie Smollet: "What a waste of light skin!.... If I had that skin, I'd be running Hollywood!"
2. The white BLM protesters complaining about how POC's who aren't focused only on their skin color 24/7 really aren't "Black."
3. Biden saying "If you don't vote for me, you're not Black!"
4. John McWhorter's comment about these kids can learn anything they want at college, and they decide they only want to be "Black."
3. Al Sharpton's comments that Obama wasn't "Authentically Black!"
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:26 pm

I guess as a member of a group that doesn't really consider skin color as a meaningful factor, simply because almost every other factor one can fathom is more influential in the quality of one's life, I'm kinda out of the woke loop. Kind of like discussing Tibetan pop music lyrics, "It's all Greek to me."

the article is also an excellent illustration of when one bets the farm on one's skin tone, and the skin tone of other people, there isn't any wiggle room to discuss other factors that may have a greater result on increasing the quality of life. Skill sets, responsibility, education, proficiency in arithmetic and language, punctuality, reliability, etc, all become methods of "avoiding a serious conversation about race."

I'm growing increasingly weary of this whole race thing, not because I don't believe that races don't exist or that there are no differences between groups of people. I actually believe races are real and groups of people are really are different. Why is that a bad thing? And why does everyone have to be good at the same thing?

Today I posted about the imperial Chinese civil service examination system. You took the test and you passed or you didn't. Examiners didn't ask what ethnic group you belonged to.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:42 am

I'm growing increasingly weary of this whole race thing, not because I don't believe that races don't exist or that there are no differences between groups of people. I actually believe races are real and groups of people are really are different. Why is that a bad thing? And why does everyone have to be good at the same thing?

Today I posted about the imperial Chinese civil service examination system. You took the test and you passed or you didn't. Examiners didn't ask what ethnic group you belonged to.
Well said. Any thought process other than people are individuals, with each having their own unique talents, flaws, and perspectives seems inherently destructive and defeating, both on the level of the individual and for humanity.
noddy

Post by noddy »

...imperial Chinese civil service examination system. You took the test and you passed or you didn't. Examiners didn't ask what ethnic group you belonged to.
no need to ask, China is 90+% Han, and the other 10% living in the cracks, hoping not to draw attention to themselves.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Re: Steers, Queers, and Chicks with Sticks | The LGBT... Issue

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 am This stuff doesn't affect me much now that I'm officially old. If I ended up a widower I'd probably be a volcel. But that Korean show in particular looks hilarious, I wonder how one in the US might subscribe to a service which offers it?

Edit: Nevermind, I signed up for the Rakuten Viki free trial. This should be fun.

Edit2: All I get is "Something Went Wrong" when trying to watch. I guess Korean TV is too much for sensitive American eyes...
Suggest clearing your cache and reloading the site.

Otherwise, there are other "high sea" sites [to use noddy's term] specializing in streaming Asian videos - free.
One such extensive site is viewasian.co

However, one should have good anti-virus software installed as such sites continuously attempt to download viruses.
The cost of free.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Thanks Colonel, using a different browser cured the problem. I don't mind paying $5 for a while to see what it's all about.
NapLajoieonSteroids

doaQC-S8de8
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Two documentaries I have recently enjoyed:

IzgaNSWglwE

khwPVkoW8IE
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 am Two documentaries I have recently enjoyed:

IzgaNSWglwE

khwPVkoW8IE
second one is blocked in my country - i searched for the youtube code and it appears to be paid for only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzkfFKCPyU
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:54 am
second one is blocked in my country - i searched for the youtube code and it appears to be paid for only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBzkfFKCPyU
I've listened to a half dozen interviews with David Paulides, as well as read both his books about Bigfoot. Interesting cat. He is a retired police detective who never had any interest in Bigfoot until he was hired to look into it by an anonymous rich person.

His Missing 411 series of books are even more mystifying than Bigfoot. Some of his readers demand he come out and say that it is Bigfoot kidnapping people or aliens abducting people, but he refuses to offer explanations. He says "there is no proof of either, and I am just going to stick to presenting facts."

Strangely enough, just last week I heard him talking about a couple cases mentioned in the above documentary. Most bizarre one was how photographing a "Predator" with a cell phone created a picture with a bizarre, non-standard pixel count. I have no idea if that is all BS or not, but interesting.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 am Two documentaries I have recently enjoyed:

IzgaNSWglwE

Interesting commentary in this one that the UFO phenomena increased rapidly after the US started testing Atom and Hydrogen bombs.

"If the multi-dimensional model of the universe is correct, are we causing more damage in their dimensions than in our own."
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582782/

Hell or High Water - a neo western by the same writer as Sicario.

wasnt expecting to like it, but enjoyed how they managed to squeeze a trope laden classic western into the modern world.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The Spectator | No wonder viewers are boycotting the Oscars
The Oscars are in trouble. People are switching off in their millions. A paltry 9.85 million Americans tuned in to the 93rd Oscars on Sunday evening.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the wokeness doesnt help but that only alienates the older generation who happen to be the last remaning folks who think movies are special.

underneath all the theories is the fact movies arent high class entertainment anymore and younger folks have moved to serialised tv or games or social media or a multitude of options that give better bang for your entertainment buck.

the movie format is such that only a few story types can be told without it being predictable - the 3 act story is highly restricting.

you cant introduce new characters past half way, you cant have complex character arcs, and most importantly, its relatively high cost for only 1-2 hrs of enteratinment, serialised stories cost the same for 10 hrs of a season and computer games can last days and weeks.

its young folks that throw their disposable income at entertainment, its young folks which rule that world.

TikTok has more relevance to young folks than hollywood does.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

K6qGwmXZtsE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Tip of the hat to noddy for the "Resident Alien" recommendation.

Recently watched the 3rd season of "Babylon Berlin".

cjaU8XWhJFw

A bit different than the 1st two seasons, but still outstanding in my view.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Ju-OBU7uTyc

The start of one of my favorite subplots in movies: Getting the craft to run on 20 Amps.

3SB_HHp8U9M
NapLajoieonSteroids

An interview with Captain Lovell on the 50th anniversary of the mission:

Rz5VHD55Vyw
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech66 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:46 pm Thanks Colonel, using a different browser cured the problem. I don't mind paying $5 for a while to see what it's all about.
Did you find it entertaining or did you kiss five bucks goodbye?
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:01 am
crashtech66 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:46 pm Thanks Colonel, using a different browser cured the problem. I don't mind paying $5 for a while to see what it's all about.
Yeah, I actually did find "Mr. Queen" interesting and entertaining. The man in woman's body was really just kind of a gimmick, and as the show went on it became much less of the focus of the story. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, since I'm obviously missing lots of cultural context, but in the end I got invested in the story and was rooting for the protagonists. Of particular fascination for me were the sets and costumes, beautiful stuff. The show, instead of focusing on anything to with trans, was more of an irreverent spin on a particular genre (name I forget) that's focused on the Joseon Dynasty. It was all rather conservative, really, given the premise.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech66 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:35 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:01 am
Yeah, I actually did find "Mr. Queen" interesting and entertaining. The man in woman's body was really just kind of a gimmick, and as the show went on it became much less of the focus of the story. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, since I'm obviously missing lots of cultural context, but in the end I got invested in the story and was rooting for the protagonists. Of particular fascination for me were the sets and costumes, beautiful stuff. The show, instead of focusing on anything to with trans, was more of an irreverent spin on a particular genre (name I forget) that's focused on the Joseon Dynasty. It was all rather conservative, really, given the premise.
The gender switch has now become a trope in E Asian dramas. "Mr. Queen" is one of the better/funnier versions.
Time travel being another trope.

If your Viki account is still active, I can suggest the following K-dramas

"Couple or Trouble", a 2005 series based on the same premise as the American film "Overboard" with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell

and

"My Love from a Star", a recent series, with a sci-fi component