Postmodernism and Critical Theory. Or why the Empress has no clothes.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
noddy

Re: Postmodernism. Or why the Empress has no clothes.

Post by noddy »

sure, for every white fragility fan we need a lobster fan i spose.

god forbid me ever having to pick a side in those particular spaces.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

put another way:

if one sees it, it's for them
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 am Space is a good way to put it; the material will find its level/like attracts like/yadayadayada...

condescending and true

not that I can do any better...very easy to go that route from the stands.
i spose its condescending, im not sure it is.

I truly cant fathom being a young boy, full of young boy instincts and trapped in a a concrete jungle of ordered humanity, smothered by the sensible ones.

poor buggers dont stand a chance - so on some levels its not condescending, its just realising they are finding the sniff of things they desperately need and it IS different and exciting to the risk averse and shallow world.

most of us gen x and olders cant see the point in those kinds of lessons, "sticks n stones" was still a common cultural viewpoint back in my formalitive years.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

.. and if somehow my world conspired to leave me trapped in a space of uptight middle class types squabbling over the colour of the patio curtains and that kind of thing..

... id be a candidate for white fragility too!
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I do think it is some condensation on my part because I am mindful that I'm not some sort of unaffected separate entity; there is enough heat generated to keep an eye out on the fire; and I do feel silly waving away people who put themselves out there.
noddy

Post by noddy »

their is a spate of troubled kids in my extrended network - work aquaintances and whatnot and in every case, the parent is a smothering, scared of life type.

poor kids in these environments dont stand a chance.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 am I do think it is some condensation on my part because I am mindful that I'm not some sort of unaffected separate entity; there is enough heat generated to keep an eye out on the fire; and I do feel silly waving away people who put themselves out there.

still, its not the *cause* its the self defence mechanism to experiencing it.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

You shall have no sympathy from me, I quite like interior designing-- it's like a big game of tetris with the addition of modelling :)
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 am You shall have sympathy from me, I quite like interior designing-- it's like a big game of tetris with the addition of modelling :)
it should and could be fun, but only if i was a carpenter and each fancy item was something i hand made.

the judgemental, expensive, shallow and downright scary world of the middle class women that obsess over it, no way.

the dead inside looks of the husbands dragged into funding the never ending improvements for other peoples opinions they dont care about - i get why Fight Club was made haha.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:43 am You shall have sympathy from me, I quite like interior designing-- it's like a big game of tetris with the addition of modelling :)
it should and could be fun, but only if i was a carpenter and each fancy item was something i hand made.

the judgemental, expensive, shallow and downright scary world of the middle class women that obsess over it, no way.

the dead inside looks of the husbands dragged into funding the never ending improvements for other peoples opinions they dont care about - i get why Fight Club was made haha.
That is the nightmare

but it's all part of riding the tiger
noddy

Post by noddy »

i was exagerating for comic effect.

mostly, if i have a couple of grand to spend that isnt going on bills or other nonsense - the last thing that enters my mind is house prettyness.

new toys every time, all the time.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

It's an old joke but anyone with eyes can see how quickly these things can get out of hand. :)

==========================

More on topic, the social psychology response is very much in its tradition of picking out the good father and warning against the smothering mother.

If its not coming from Jordan Peterson, it's coming from Jonathan Haidt; if not Haidt...and so on...

This is not some gnostic society-- it's Henry A. Murray again and again again-- psychology and its pride of place among the public intellectuals of progressive America is as much at stake as anything else.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:28 am most of us gen x and olders cant see the point in those kinds of lessons, "sticks n stones" was still a common cultural viewpoint back in my formalitive years.
To paraphrase a gen x author, "sticks n stones" is bunkum. Words do hurt; moreover the aphorism was only as good as the actual teaching of resiliency, which didn't take place on some large enough scale.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:13 am
noddy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:28 am most of us gen x and olders cant see the point in those kinds of lessons, "sticks n stones" was still a common cultural viewpoint back in my formalitive years.
To paraphrase a gen x author, "sticks n stones" is bunkum. Words do hurt; moreover the aphorism was only as good as the actual teaching of resiliency, which didn't take place on some large enough scale.
you cant live life by bumper stickers.

for me the phrase always was the thing that encapsulated a lot of lessons and introspection about who is saying it, why are they saying it, is it really about you, etc.

which is the thought process behind resillience, which as you said, isnt taught very well, or at all.

the fact that words do hurt became more important than the process by which you stop/minimise that happening - its considered victim blaming in this new world view to realise you do have some control over how you respond to other peoples nonsense.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yep.

Important lesson is some control and not total control; and why that's ultimately a good thing.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:13 am
you cant live life by bumper stickers.

for me the phrase always was the thing that encapsulated a lot of lessons and introspection about who is saying it, why are they saying it, is it really about you, etc.

which is the thought process behind resillience, which as you said, isnt taught very well, or at all.

the fact that words do hurt became more important than the process by which you stop/minimise that happening - its considered victim blaming in this new world view to realise you do have some control over how you respond to other peoples nonsense.
Well said. Adolescent and teenage against now lasts into the late 40's for the children of doting parents who never thought it was their responsibility to raise adults rather than raise children. It's a cultural thang.

"Using this doll, show me where the person on the internet touched you......"

Elenor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Ayn Rand: "Your sanction is the only power they have over you!"

Viktor Frankl: "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose!"

SimpleMinded: "Offense is always in the receiver, not the transmitter!"

My Brother: "There's a lot of assholes out there. You gonna let them all get to you?"

Jimmy Dore on Tucker Carlson the other night: "Did you ever get hit with an adjective? The other day, I got hit in the head with a noun."

As the Great philosopher Cher noted: "Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes!"
noddy

Post by noddy »

buahhahaha.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I do feel sorry for Richard Dawkins losing his awards and transitioning into an officially purged pariah.

Dawkins' insensitivity (there's a loaded term), for me, gets nowhere near a list of annoyances.

But he's got a good decade of stepping on the same rakes while expecting different results (or maybe he likes this sort of attention???) then walking it all back and agreeing with whatever the mob is mad at him for.

Gets to a point where it highlights his foolishness and vanity and how much of a wimp he actually is. But, most of us on top of this soil are like that, or would be if put into that situation.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I dont particularly.

losing the approval of the wokelings shouldnt be a concern to a blunt honest person - if he wishes to maintain that persona.

we had a great moment here the other day - our local obnoxious humour group (the chaser) who usually pick on politicians decided the wokelings needed a prod so they started a fake petition against "fairy bread" being homephobic and anti australian, all the usual suspects lined up to support it.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/good-ne ... -petition/
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 am
Gets to a point where it highlights his foolishness and vanity and how much of a wimp he actually is. But, most of us on top of this soil are like that, or would be if put into that situation.
threats to his uni funding are probably always lurking and triggering his compassionate rollbacks :)
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Definitely.

Can't live in an ivory tower if you can't afford the ivory (and being defenestrated from the tower window.)
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

It's always good to get it from the horse's (other) mouth....'>.....
Regrettably, Richard Dawkins has over the past several years accumulated a history of making statements that use the guise of scientific discourse to demean marginalized groups, an approach antithetical to humanist values. His latest statement implies that the identities of transgender individuals are fraudulent, while also simultaneously attacking Black identity as one that can be assumed when convenient. His subsequent attempts at clarification are inadequate and convey neither sensitivity nor sincerity.
https://americanhumanist.org/news/ameri ... d-dawkins/
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 pm It's always good to get it from the horse's (other) mouth....'>.....
Regrettably, Richard Dawkins has over the past several years accumulated a history of making statements that use the guise of scientific discourse to demean marginalized groups, an approach antithetical to humanist values. His latest statement implies that the identities of transgender individuals are fraudulent, while also simultaneously attacking Black identity as one that can be assumed when convenient. His subsequent attempts at clarification are inadequate and convey neither sensitivity nor sincerity.
https://americanhumanist.org/news/ameri ... d-dawkins/

Fashion is fickle..... especially these days!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Buddy: "even I can't help some people...."
Attachments
emotional animal.jpg
emotional animal.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 1549 times