Canada

A Mari usque ad Mare
Doc

Re: Canada

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:The local crazies are unfortunately attracted to violent extremist organizations.

Should be:

"The local crazies are unfortunately attracted to violent crazy extremist organizations."

I think I said something a few months ago about ISIS types being societies' rejects.

Not to mention their cheering section:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa-sh ... -1.2809610
Mike789
Who benefited from Reichstag fire? Now ask yourself who benefits more from this attack, ISIS or Harper regime? The answer to this question will lead you to the true perpetrators.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reading the comment section of any item posted on the internet can make one despair for the future of humanity.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:Reading the comment section of any item posted on the internet can make one despair for the future of humanity.
Have you ever gone to youtube and looked at the truther videos?? Some are hilarious. There was one where the truther video maker was talking about how an airplane could not make the holes in the WTC that were made While a video in the back ground was of one of the planes going into the building making the hole.

Mostly people with way to much time on their hands "suffering" from attention (of them) deficit disorder.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Reading the comment section of any item posted on the internet can make one despair for the future of humanity.
Amen Bro!

Maybe the trick to people getting along well with each other is to make communication expensive, time consuming, and difficult.

In the old days one would hear "He said more than he knew!"

Is information age tech the ultimate WMD?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Amen Bro!

Maybe the trick to people getting along well with each other is to make communication expensive, time consuming, and difficult.

In the old days one would hear "He said more than he knew!"

Is information age tech the ultimate WMD?

It is the ultimate weapon of propaganda. I know this to be true because I heard it on the internet.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Looks like gun control failed yet again.
Any "high information user" with a rudimentary understanding of statistics would know that one can extrapolate exactly zero from a N = 1 sample.

Homicides involving firearms per 100,000 population per year [to 3 sig figs]

USA: 3.60

Canada: 0.51

Japan 0.00

The last thing any industrialized nation with a civil society needs is to import the peculiar ideology of Made in the USA problems.
Or more to the point how many people per 100,000 are killed by their own government per year?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Any "high information user" with a rudimentary understanding of statistics would know that one can extrapolate exactly zero from a N = 1 sample.

Japan 0.00

The last thing any industrialized nation with a civil society needs is to import the peculiar ideology of Made in the USA problems.
Or more to the point how many people per 100,000 are killed by their own government per year?
Not clear how this is more to the point, however:

Amnesty International: Death and Executions 2013
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Japan 0.00

Very interesting graph, but not my point. My question concerned killing of citizens by government that are not criminals.

For example 12 million people were killed in death camps by the Nazis. What if they all had guns? It certainly would have benefited the Jews of the Warsaw ghettos.

But in answer to my own question.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/NOTE1.HTM

150 million dead in the last century by government murderinging them. This does not count war.

If we take 6 billion (Total world pop in 2000) as the average total world population which is really a high estimate

Then take the 150 million dead and divide it out That works out to be 40 dead per 100000 people China *might* reach that level with executions But like I said the 40 per 100,000 is probably more like 80 per 100,000 due to the high estimate.

This does not count death by violent crime and victimization by violent crime that is not fatal.

Perhaps you noticed the extremely high dead rate in Chicago last year due to gun violence.

Chicago was required to allow people to have concealed carry gun permits by a Federal judge last year. DO you know what happened to Chicago's gun murder rate?

Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry applications surge

City sees fewer homicides, robberies, burglaries, car thefts as Illinois residents take arms
ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND APRIL 10-11--John W. Richardson, owner of Topeka Shooters' Supply in Topeka, Kan., demonstrates a holster that could be used to carry a concealed weapon at his gun shop Thursday, April 8, 1999. It is unlikely that a bill to legalize the concealed carry of a gun before the Kansas Legislature will make it past the desk of Gov. Bill Graves. Graves has vetoed a similar bill in the past. Missouri voters turned down the chance to carry a concealed weapon in an election earlier this week. (AP Photo/Topeka capital-Journal, Chris Ochsner)
ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND APRIL 10-11—John W. Richardson, owner of Topeka Shooters’ Supply in Topeka, Kan., demonstrates a holster that could be used to carry a concealed weapon at his gun shop Thursday, April 8, 1999. It is unlikely that a ... more >
By Kelly Riddell - The Washington Times - Sunday, August 24, 2014

An 86-year-old Illinois man with a concealed carry permit fired his weapon at an armed robbery suspect fleeing police last month, stopping the man in his tracks and allowing the police to make an arrest.

Law enforcement authorities described the man as “a model citizen” who “helped others avoid being victims” at an AT&T store outside Chicago where he witnessed the holdup. The man, whose identity was withheld from the press, prevented others from entering the store during the theft.

PHOTOS: Best concealed carry handguns

Police said the robber harassed customers and pistol-whipped one.

Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low.

“It isn’t any coincidence crime rates started to go down when concealed carry was permitted. Just the idea that the criminals don’t know who’s armed and who isn’t has a deterrence effect,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association. “The police department hasn’t changed a single tactic — they haven’t announced a shift in policy or of course — and yet you have these incredible numbers.”

As of July 29 the state had 83,183 applications for concealed carry and had issued 68,549 licenses. By the end of the year, Mr. Pearson estimates, 100,000 Illinois citizens will be packing. When Illinois began processing requests in January, gun training and shooting classes — which are required for the application — were filling up before the rifle association was able to schedule them, Mr. Pearson said.

PHOTOS: Top 10 handguns in the U.S.

“The temperature would be 40 below, and you’d have these guys out on the range, having to crack off the ice from their guns to see the target,” Mr. Pearson said. “But they’d do it, because they were that passionate about getting their license.”

The demand has slowed this summer, but Mr. Pearson expects the state to issue about 300,000 concealed carry permits when all is said and done.

Illinois became the 50th state in the nation to issue concealed weapons permits. An individual permit costs about $600 and requires at least 16 hours of classes.

The Chicago Police Department has credited better police work as a reason for the lower crime rates this year. Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy noted the confiscation of more than 1,300 illegal guns in the first three months of the year, better police training and “intelligent policing strategies.”

The Chicago Police Department didn’t respond to a request for comment from The Washington Times.

However, the impact of concealed carry can’t be dismissed. Instead of creating more crimes, which many gun control advocates warn, increased concealed carry rates have coincided with lower rates of crime.

A July study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans have permits to carry concealed weapons, a 147 percent increase from 4.5 million seven years ago. Meanwhile, homicide and other violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

“There’s a lot of academic research that’s been done on this, and if you look at the peer-reviewed studies, the bottom line is a large majority find a benefit of concealed carry on crime rates — and, at worst, there’s no cost,” said John Lott Jr., president of the Crime Prevention Research Center based in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. “You can deter criminals with longer prison sentences and penalties, but arming people with the right to defend themselves with a gun is also a deterrence.”

Within Illinois, Cook County, which encompasses Chicago, has the state’s largest number of concealed carry applications, with 28,552 requests, according to the county’s website. Accounting for population, however, less than 1 percent are carrying.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... rry-gun-pe
Last edited by Doc on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Japan 0.00

Very interesting graph, but not my point. My question concerned killing of citizens by government that are not criminals.

For example 12 million people were killed in death camps by the Nazis. What if they all had guns? It certainly would have benefited the Jews of the Warsaw ghettos.
The people transported to the concentration camps were not aware that they were marked for mass murder.

Oh, sure. Guns are so effective against a highly organized and disciplined military well armed with firearms, flamethrowers, artillery, tanks, fighter planes, and dive bombers.
Doc wrote:But in answer to my own question.

150 million dead in the last century by government murderinging them. This does not count war.

If we take 6 billion (Total world pop in 2000) as the average total world population which is really a high estimate

Then take the 150 million dead and divide it out That works out to be 40 dead per 100000 people China *might* reach that level with executions But like I said the 40 per 100 is probably more like 80 per 100,000 due to the high estimate.

This does not count death by violent crime and victimization by violent crime that is not fatal.
Your point?
Doc wrote: Perhaps you noticed the extremely high dead rate in Chicago last year due to gun violence.
Media histrionics aside, I noticed that it is significantly lower than when I lived there:

Doc wrote:Chicago was required to allow people to have concealed carry gun permits by a Federal judge last year. DO you know what happened to Chicago's gun murder rate?

City sees fewer homicides, robberies, burglaries, car thefts as Illinois residents take arms
ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND APRIL 10-11--John W. Richardson, owner of Topeka Shooters' Supply in Topeka, Kan., demonstrates a holster that could be used to carry a concealed weapon at his gun shop Thursday, April 8, 1999. It is unlikely that a bill to legalize the concealed carry of a gun before the Kansas Legislature will make it past the desk of Gov. Bill Graves. Graves has vetoed a similar bill in the past. Missouri voters turned down the chance to carry a concealed weapon in an election earlier this week. (AP Photo/Topeka capital-Journal, Chris Ochsner)
ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND APRIL 10-11—John W. Richardson, owner of Topeka Shooters’ Supply in Topeka, Kan., demonstrates a holster that could be used to carry a concealed weapon at his gun shop Thursday, April 8, 1999. It is unlikely that a ... more >

An 86-year-old Illinois man with a concealed carry permit fired his weapon at an armed robbery suspect fleeing police last month, stopping the man in his tracks and allowing the police to make an arrest.

Law enforcement authorities described the man as “a model citizen” who “helped others avoid being victims” at an AT&T store outside Chicago where he witnessed the holdup. The man, whose identity was withheld from the press, prevented others from entering the store during the theft.

Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low.

“It isn’t any coincidence crime rates started to go down when concealed carry was permitted. Just the idea that the criminals don’t know who’s armed and who isn’t has a deterrence effect,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association. “The police department hasn’t changed a single tactic — they haven’t announced a shift in policy or of course — and yet you have these incredible numbers.”

As of July 29 the state had 83,183 applications for concealed carry and had issued 68,549 licenses. By the end of the year, Mr. Pearson estimates, 100,000 Illinois citizens will be packing. When Illinois began processing requests in January, gun training and shooting classes — which are required for the application — were filling up before the rifle association was able to schedule them, Mr. Pearson said.

“The temperature would be 40 below, and you’d have these guys out on the range, having to crack off the ice from their guns to see the target,” Mr. Pearson said. “But they’d do it, because they were that passionate about getting their license.”

The demand has slowed this summer, but Mr. Pearson expects the state to issue about 300,000 concealed carry permits when all is said and done.

Illinois became the 50th state in the nation to issue concealed weapons permits. An individual permit costs about $600 and requires at least 16 hours of classes.

The Chicago Police Department has credited better police work as a reason for the lower crime rates this year. Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy noted the confiscation of more than 1,300 illegal guns in the first three months of the year, better police training and “intelligent policing strategies.”

The Chicago Police Department didn’t respond to a request for comment from The Washington Times.

However, the impact of concealed carry can’t be dismissed. Instead of creating more crimes, which many gun control advocates warn, increased concealed carry rates have coincided with lower rates of crime.

A July study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans have permits to carry concealed weapons, a 147 percent increase from 4.5 million seven years ago. Meanwhile, homicide and other violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

“There’s a lot of academic research that’s been done on this, and if you look at the peer-reviewed studies, the bottom line is a large majority find a benefit of concealed carry on crime rates — and, at worst, there’s no cost,” said John Lott Jr., president of the Crime Prevention Research Center based in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. “You can deter criminals with longer prison sentences and penalties, but arming people with the right to defend themselves with a gun is also a deterrence.”

Within Illinois, Cook County, which encompasses Chicago, has the state’s largest number of concealed carry applications, with 28,552 requests, according to the county’s website. Accounting for population, however, less than 1 percent are carrying.

The out-of-control homicide by firearms is a uniquely US problem among industrialized 1st world nations.
It's your unique problem, so you figure it out. Even better if you do it before my next upcoming annual trip to the US Midwest.

On the other hand, it is a non-issue for other industrialized nations, with civil societies, who have no need of Made-in-the-USA ideological so-called solutions to their non-existent problems. Including Canada.

Anyways, what does any of this have to do with the price of bacon in Canada?

Considering the recent unfortunate events, be respectful of and civil to your neighbours and stay on topic.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

WzLXlQXQ3u8
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

p9rFprD_Qf4

Interesting.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Japan 0.00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
The people transported to the concentration camps were not aware that they were marked for mass murder.
When the deportations first began, members of the Jewish resistance movement met and decided not to fight the SS directives, believing that the Jews were being sent to labour camps and not to their deaths. By the end of 1942, Ghetto inhabitants learned that the deportations were part of an extermination process. Many of the remaining Jews decided to revolt.[11] The first armed resistance in the ghetto occurred in January 1943.[12] On the 19th of April 1943, Passover eve, the Germans entered the ghetto. The remaining Jews knew that the Germans would murder them and they decided to resist to the last man.[13] While the uprising was underway, the Bermuda Conference was held from April 19–29, 1943 to discuss the current Jewish refugee problem.[14] Discussions included the question of Jewish refugees who had been liberated by Allied forces and those who still remained within German-occupied Europe.[15][16]
Oh, sure. Guns are so effective against a highly organized and disciplined military well armed with firearms, flamethrowers, artillery, tanks, fighter planes, and dive bombers.
The people were aware that they were being shipped like cows to the concentration camps. In Poland the Jews in the Warsaw Ghettos held out for a month One of the first things the Nazis did was disarm all of the Jews in Germany and territory it controlled
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto_Uprising
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising (Yiddish: אױפֿשטאַנד אין װאַרשעװער געטאָ; Polish: powstanie w getcie warszawskim; German: Aufstand im Warschauer Ghetto) was the 1943 act of Jewish resistance that arose within the Warsaw Ghetto in German-occupied Poland during World War II, and which opposed Nazi Germany's final effort to transport the remaining Ghetto population to Treblinka extermination camp. The most significant portion of the rebellion took place from 19 April, and ended when the poorly armed and supplied resistance was crushed by the Germans, who officially finished their operation to liquidate the Ghetto on 16 May. It was the largest single revolt by Jews during World War II.[3]
Doc wrote:But in answer to my own question.

Then take the 150 million dead and divide it out That works out to be 40 dead per 100000 people China *might* reach that level with executions But like I said the 40 per 100 is probably more like 80 per 100,000 due to the high estimate.

Your point?
That if some one is concerned about guns as murder weapons they should be terrified by government. As the chances of death by government are so much higher
Doc wrote: Perhaps you noticed the extremely high dead rate in Chicago last year due to gun violence.
Media histrionics aside, I noticed that it is significantly lower than when I lived there:

They missed 2013 and 2014
2012: 516[40]
2013: 415[41]

A drop of 20% the same year that concealed carry is mandated by the courts.
Doc wrote:Chicago was required to allow people to have concealed carry gun permits by a Federal judge last year. DO you know what happened to Chicago's gun murder rate?

The out-of-control homicide by firearms is a uniquely US problem among industrialized 1st world nations.
[It's your unique problem, so you figure it out. Even better if you do it before my next upcoming annual trip to the US Midwest.[/quote]

Violent crime is higher in Europe than in the US. Gun Violence is much much higher in other parts of the world.
On the other hand, it is a non-issue for other industrialized nations, with civil societies, who have no need of Made-in-the-USA ideological so-called solutions to their non-existent problems. Including Canada.]/quote]

AS I said the violent crime rate is higher in Europe than the US.
Anyways, what does any of this have to do with the price of bacon in Canada?

Considering the recent unfortunate events, be respectful of and civil to your neighbours and stay on topic.
I don't see the posts now but I was replying to You replying to MR. on this issue.
Heracleum Persicum

Canada’s system of government is proving far superior to America’s

America and Canada gave the world two very different ways of achieving independence, for a world composed largely of colonies. Four of the six continents were colonized by European powers, 103 countries in all, and another 20-odd countries in Asia. Of them, 52 countries followed the Canadian model of a peaceful road to independence (forgetting the Irish and the unpleasantness in South Africa), as did another 20 former French colonies. Most of the remaining countries, especially in Latin America, followed the American example of a violent revolution to overthrow their colonial masters.

The world had thus two models to choose from, and the lucky ones picked that of Canada. For those unhappy countries which thought that independence must be won by generals on horseback, the military became a political player, one that regularly assumed the reins of power when democracy seemed messy. That wasn’t so much a worry in countries which followed the peaceful Canadian example. The only man on horseback in Canadian history was that idiotic popinjay, Sir Francis Bond Head, in 1837.

Canada had simply waited out Britain until it tired of its imperial responsibilities. Before Canada gained self-government, between 1849 and 1867, the mother country heavily subsidized the colony, and when the British finally woke up to the fact that this wasn’t a paying proposition for them they were only too happy to let the colony go its own way. As for the Canadians, they had discovered that there was such a thing as a profitable colonialism, and began a long tradition of free riding on a more powerful country to pay for its military defence, until at last that no longer seemed to work. And when that happened the Canadians promptly slapped a tariff on British goods. The Whig tradition in Canada, in which a group of valiant Canadian reformers wrestled independence from a domineering overlord, is simply hogwash, and betrays a very non-Canadian and juvenile envy for America’s revolutionary tradition.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:
Have you ever gone to youtube and looked at the truther videos?? Some are hilarious. There was one where the truther video maker was talking about how an airplane could not make the holes in the WTC that were made While a video in the back ground was of one of the planes going into the building making the hole.

Mostly people with way to much time on their hands "suffering" from attention (of them) deficit disorder.
Einstein was wrong. There's a quote [mis?]attributed to him about the infinity of the universe and human stupidity.

He forgot to include the human ego.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NYT | Canada’s Forced Schooling of Aboriginal Children Was ‘Cultural Genocide,’ Report Finds
OTTAWA — Canada’s former policy of forcibly removing aboriginal children from their families for schooling “can best be described as ‘cultural genocide.’ ”

That is the conclusion reached by the country’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission after six years of intensive research, including 6,750 interviews. The commission published a summary version on Tuesday of what will ultimately be a multivolume report, documenting widespread physical, cultural and sexual abuse at government-sponsored residential schools that Indian, Inuit and other indigenous children were forced to attend.

The schools, financed by the government but run largely by churches, were in operation for more than a century, from 1883 until the last one closed in 1998.

The commission documented that at least 3,201 students died while attending the schools, many because of mistreatment or neglect, in the first comprehensive tally of such deaths.

The report linked the abuses at the schools, which came to broad public attention over the last four decades, to social, health, economic and emotional problems affecting many indigenous Canadians today. It concluded that although some teachers and administrators at the schools were well intentioned, the overriding motive for the program was economic, not educational.
Well, at least they, the Canadians, investigated and made public this issue.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

The commission published a summary version on Tuesday of what will ultimately be a multivolume report, documenting widespread physical, cultural and sexual abuse at government-sponsored residential schools that Indian, Inuit and other indigenous children were forced to attend.

An important question is then raised as to whether the Canadian government would have been judged more harshly had it done nothing, because physical, cultural and sexual abuse was (and remains) rampant, that is to say, much more widespread in First Nations communities than it was at residential schools.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote:
The commission published a summary version on Tuesday of what will ultimately be a multivolume report, documenting widespread physical, cultural and sexual abuse at government-sponsored residential schools that Indian, Inuit and other indigenous children were forced to attend.

An important question is then raised as to whether the Canadian government would have been judged more harshly had it done nothing, because physical, cultural and sexual abuse was (and remains) rampant, that is to say, much more widespread in First Nations communities than it was at residential schools.
Was? Is?

Evidence?
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Was?
I posted just one example of this today in the Happy Indigenous Day of Remembrance! thread today, but if people aren't acquainted with practices described in the anthropological literature it's probably because the media certainly isn't interested and neither are lawyers or politicians.

Is?

For Native American women, scourge of rape, rare justice - Timothy Williams, New York Times, 22 May 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/us/na ... -rape.html

In South Dakota, Indians make up 10 percent of the population, but account for 40 percent of the victims of sexual assault. Alaska Natives are 15 percent of that state’s population, but constitute 61 percent of its victims of sexual assault.
The Justice Department did not prosecute 65 percent of the rape cases on Indian reservations in 2011. And though the department said it had mandated extra training for prosecutors and directed each field office to develop its own plan to help reduce violence against women, some advocates for Native American women said they no longer pressed victims to report rapes.

“I feel bad saying that,” said Sarah Deer, a law professor at William Mitchell College of Law in Minnesota and an authority on violent crime on reservations. “But it compounds the trauma if you are willing to stand up and testify and they can’t help you.”

Despite the low rates of arrests and prosecutions, convicted sexual offenders are abundant on tribal lands. The Rosebud Sioux Reservation in South Dakota, with about 25,000 people, is home to 99 Class 3 sex offenders, those deemed most likely to commit sex crimes after their release from prison. The Tohono O’odham tribe’s reservation in Arizona, where about 15,000 people live, has 184, according to the Justice Department.

By comparison, Boston, with a population of 618,000, has 252 Class 3 offenders. Minneapolis, with a population of 383,000, has 101, according to the local police. ...

See also:

Foster children counted in Canadian census for 1st time - CBC News, 30 September 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... ldren.html

When a child protection agency is called and an investigation is triggered, First Nations children are nearly five times more likely to be investigated and 12 times more likely to be placed in foster care than non-First Nations kids, Trocme said. In some provinces, they represent more than 80 per cent of children in foster care.

Native communities have by far the greatest problem with neglect and abuse within families anywhere in this country. It follows the same pattern you see in the U.S., where rates of child neglect and abuse, and abuse and assault against women are at least an order of magnitude greater than average.

In effect, residential schools offered some kind of solution to a problem that was considerably worse 100 years ago but continues to this very day. A high percentage of Native kids suffer incidents of neglect and abuse which cannot be ignored even if we'd rather do just that, and so we put these kids in foster care, often away from the community.

There's a call by "activists" to investigate the "missing and murdered Aboriginal women" in Canada. I don't expect anything to come of this because the great majority of missing and murdered women are cases involving Native people only. Young women and gay people are particularly vulnerable. The level of hostility and abuse towards them can be so intense that they are frequently compelled to leave such comforts that life on the reserve might offer (in terms of financial and family support, etc.) just to escape people who persecute and abuse them as long as they stay. In the most general sense this is not really an Aboriginal problem; it's a problem with small "in-bred" communities, where conformity and allegiance to the small clique who wield some power and influence is the overriding factor. Here in this province, a parallel non-Native example is the community of Bountiful, which is run by fundamentalist Mormon child abusers.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Odd how aboriginal societies not only survived, but thrived before the arrival of the Europeans.

Afterward

How Europeans brought sickness to the New World
In the Americas, the arrival of Europeans brought disease, war, and slavery to many indigenous peoples.
So the aboriginal cultures are decimated, creating all sorts of problems, thereby justifying further intervention.

How very convenient.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

So there is a also election going on in Canada . . .

DG6fhub9HDQ
Heracleum Persicum

I'm voting for "Liberals" .. for "Justin Trudeau"

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Why?

A Canadian friend observed that Justin Trudeau inherited his mother's good looks . . . and her brains.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Why ?

NYT : The Closing of the Canadian Mind

Americans have traditionally looked to Canada as a liberal haven, with gun control, universal health care and good public education.

But the nine and half years of Mr. Harper’s tenure have seen the slow-motion erosion of that reputation for open, responsible government. His stance has been a know-nothing conservatism, applied broadly and effectively. He has consistently limited the capacity of the public to understand what its government is doing, cloaking himself and his Conservative Party in an entitled secrecy, and the country in ignorance.

His relationship to the press is one of outright hostility. At his notoriously brief news conferences, his handlers vet every journalist, picking and choosing who can ask questions. In the usual give-and-take between press and politicians, the hurly-burly of any healthy democracy, he has simply removed the give.

Mr. Harper’s war against science has been even more damaging to the capacity of Canadians to know what their government is doing. The prime minister’s base of support is Alberta, a western province financially dependent on the oil industry, and he has been dedicated to protecting petrochemical companies from having their feelings hurt by any inconvenient research.

In 2012, he tried to defund government research centers in the High Arctic, and placed Canadian environmental scientists under gag orders. That year, National Research Council members were barred from discussing their work on snowfall with the media. Scientists for the governmental agency Environment Canada, under threat of losing their jobs, have been banned from discussing their research without political approval. Mentions of federal climate change research in the Canadian press have dropped 80 percent. The union that represents federal scientists and other professionals has, for the first time in its history, abandoned neutrality to campaign against Mr. Harper.

His active promotion of ignorance extends into the functions of government itself. Most shockingly, he ended the mandatory long-form census, a decision protested by nearly 500 organizations in Canada, including the Canadian Medical Association, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and the Canadian Catholic Council of Bishops. In the age of information, he has stripped Canada of its capacity to gather information about itself. The Harper years have seen a subtle darkening of Canadian life.

The darkness has resulted, organically, in one of the most scandal-plagued administrations in Canadian history. Mr. Harper’s tenure coincided with the scandal of Rob Ford, the mayor of Toronto who admitted to smoking crack while in office and whose secret life came to light only when Gawker, an American website, broke the story. In a famous video at a Ford family barbecue, Mr. Harper praised the Fords as a “Conservative political dynasty.”

Mr. Harper’s appointments to the Senate — which in Canada is a mercifully impotent body employed strictly for political payoffs — have proved greedier than the norm. Mr. Harper’s chief of staff was forced out for paying off a senator who fudged his expenses. The Mounties have pressed criminal charges.

After the 2011 election, a Conservative staffer, Michael Sona, was convicted of using robocalls to send voters to the wrong polling places in Guelph, Ontario. In the words of the judge, he was guilty of “callous and blatant disregard for the right of people to vote.” In advance of this election, instead of such petty ploys, the Canadian Conservatives have passed the Fair Elections Act, a law with a classically Orwellian title, which not only needlessly tightens the requirements for voting but also has restricted the chief executive of Elections Canada from promoting the act of voting. Mr. Harper seems to think that his job is to prevent democracy.

But the worst of the Harper years is that all this secrecy and informational control have been at the service of no larger vision for the country. The policies that he has undertaken have been negligible — more irritating distractions than substantial changes. He is “tough on crime,” and so he has built more prisons at great expense at the exact moment when even American conservatives have realized that over-incarceration causes more problems than it solves. Then there is a new law that allows the government to revoke citizenship for dual citizens convicted of terrorism or high treason — effectively creating levels of Canadianness and problems where none existed.

For a man who insists on such intense control, the prime minister has not managed to control much that matters. The argument for all this secrecy was a technocratic impulse — he imagined Canada as a kind of Singapore, only more polite and rule abiding.

The major foreign policy goal of his tenure was the Keystone Pipeline, which Mr. Harper ultimately failed to deliver. The Canadian dollar has returned to the low levels that once earned it the title of the northern peso. Despite being left in a luxurious position of strength after the global recession, he coasted on what he knew: oil. In the run-up to the election, the Bank of Canada has announced that Canada just had two straight quarters of contraction — the technical definition of a recession. He has been a poor manager by any metric.

Modern Canada was made by "Trudeau and his Montreal gang" .. Anglos had never "big Ambitions" for Canada, Canadian political elite B4 Trudeau was pretty much same mindset as South Africa's.

Trudeau made Canada what Canada is today

Harper destroyed a lot

Typhoon wrote:
A Canadian friend observed that Justin Trudeau inherited his mother's good looks . . . and her brains .

Well, CS, friends a mirror of you yourself.

Margaret nice girl .. Pierre f*cked many beauties, but he chose her to have babies of.

Pierre Trudeau created the modern Canada, he solidified "Canadian Bill of Rights", B4 him it was "No Jews, No Orientals and no Dogs".

Change your friend, CS

Heracleum Persicum

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Resource extraction economies/companies make less money when prices fall? That's news?

Obama f**ked Canada buy not building pipeline?

Canada f**ked? Canada not paradise?

Canadians think therir PM's are good or evil gods similar to POTUSes?

Given the opportunity to get a fat paycheck, Canadians behave and act similarly to Americans? I thought they were better. I thought they had created paradise up there.

What a disaster....

When did all this happen?

Gramma used to say don't put all your eggs in one basket..... Make hay while the sun shines...... Save some money for a rainy day......

Elect Gramma!!!!