Canada

A Mari usque ad Mare
Alexis

Anglophone terrorism in Québec?

Post by Alexis »

This... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19478694
:shock: :? :cry:
A gunman has brought chaos to a separatist election victory rally in the Canadian province of Quebec, killing one man and wounding another.

PQ leader Pauline Marois was giving a victory speech in Montreal when shots were heard at the back of the hall.
She was rushed off the stage and a man was later arrested.
The gunman's target was unclear but the suspect, said to be in his fifties, was later heard shouting in French "The English are waking up".
Two shots were reportedly fired. One man aged 45 was fatally wounded, another is in a critical condition in hospital. Both men had been working in the Metropolis concert hall when they were hit, reports said. A third man was taken to hospital in shock.

Hope (and guess) that it was a solitary madman, not the vanguard of a terrorist wave.
Milo

Re: Anglophone terrorism in Québec?

Post by Milo »

And he obviously wasn't an Anglophone.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

The madman was obviously an Anglophone, given his accent when shouting in French.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Four people found shot dead near Lake Annecy in France

Four people have been found shot dead in a British-registered vehicle near Lake Annecy in eastern France, local police have told the BBC News website.

[...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19494892
Oh my... it's coming...
Deep down I'm very superficial
Milo

Post by Milo »

Alexis wrote:The madman was obviously an Anglophone, given his accent when shouting in French.
Yes, you are right.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Just a nut with a gun, or a Canadian ultra-nationalist?
cultivate a white rose
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Can anyone flesh this out any further?
Censorship isn't necessary
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

There's no need to resort to violence in so civilized a country as Canada. Only a gangster or a lunatic would shed innocent blood.

And if it is lunacy, I would imagine that it is lunacy of a primarily psychiatric, rather than sociological, nature.
cultivate a white rose
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Milo wrote:And he obviously wasn't an Anglophone.

He was an Anglophone, which is to say somebody who speaks English as their first language, and his statements after the shooting (in French) indicate that he through he was acting on behalf of "the English" against separatist interests.

Though as further details have been related he appears to be an eccentric figure, and everybody has denounced the action so there is no new wave of anything being started by this incident.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Azrael wrote:Just a nut with a gun, or a Canadian ultra-nationalist?
He was a "gun nut," in that he owned many firearms, and operated a fishing and hunting resort which he was attempting to expand. Though his political views are so-far unarticulated beyond his shouting as he was arrested.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticN ... F520120906
Accused Quebec gunman an eccentric, kilt-wearing lodge owner
By Leila Lemghalef

MONTREAL (Reuters) - The gunman accused of opening fire outside a crowded political rally in Montreal this week was viewed as a kilt-wearing eccentric in his rural Quebec home, and was frustrated in his plans to expand his fishing lodge business, according to people who know him.

But local residents, in interviews with Reuters and other media, said they saw few clues of anything seriously amiss with Richard Henry Bain, 61, who appeared in a Montreal courtroom on Thursday to face 16 charges, including first-degree murder, attempted murder and arson.

Television images have showed police removing an assault rifle from the suspect's hands on the night of the attack. Prosecutor Eliane Perreault said he was carrying two weapons, had five more in his car and more than 20 firearms in total. All but one were registered, she said.
Apollonius

Canada: A multicultural Terri Schaivo

Post by Apollonius »

Does the state have the right to terminate the life of a person in a persistant vegetative state? What if the person is a child who was put in that persistantly vegetative state by their parents?

Two days ago the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the parents cannot sue the goverrment to keep her on life support:

Hundreds attend funeral for starved Edmonton child - CBC News, 22 September 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... neral.html

Hundreds of people gathered in an Edmonton mosque Saturday to pray over the the body of a young girl allegedly starved and beaten by her parents.

The toddler, who can only be identified at M, died Thursday night only hours after the Supreme Court of Canada denied a motion to keep her on life support.

Her parents, who also cannot be named, are facing several criminal charges and remain in custody.

In May, paramedics were called to the family's home where they found the child with a head injury and in cardiac arrest. Both the girl and her twin sister were severely malnourished. The second girl is recovering.

Both parents were allowed to attend the funeral while under guard, but were not allowed contact with one another.

The girl's mother was visibly distraught during the service, barely able to stand at times.

The Supreme Court of Canada on Wednesday rejected a stay of the Alberta Court of Appeal ruling that allowed doctors to remove "M" from a ventilator.

The parents face charges of aggravated assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessities of life.

More charges could be laid after the results of a toxicology report are completed, which police say could take a few weeks.

Some background:

Starved girl taken off life-support dies - CBC News, 21 September 2012
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -dies.html

Paramedics were called to the family's home in May where they found the child with a head injury and in cardiac arrest.

Both the girl and her twin sister were severely malnourished.

While her sister is recovering, doctors said M's brain damage was so severe that she would never regain consciousness.

The child's parents are being held in jail, facing charges of aggravated assault, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to provide the necessities of life.

I wonder what happens to the surviving sister? Her parents, who could not be named to protect the identity of a minor, could now face murder charges, in which case we'll get to learn more about them. But maybe this is too multicultural to be called murder.
Enki

Re: Canada: A multicultural Terri Schaivo

Post by Enki »

I think the more important question is, "Can flesh persisting in a vegetative state be considered a 'person'?" Is there personhood in the absence of consciousness?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Enki wrote:I think the more important question is, "Can flesh persisting in a vegetative state be considered a 'person'?" Is there personhood in the absence of consciousness?

This is the crux of it to me. What is the benefit of keeping someone alive in this situation? What is particularly odd to me is that it is overwhelmingly religious people who support using medical science to keep souls tethered to broken bodies indefinitely for some undisclosed purpose, dressed up as the "sanctity of life."

The almost certainly criminal conduct of the parents is a secondary issue. They have been charged and will be prosecuted, which is sufficient. While it is always disgusting to read about, a criminal prosecutor or anybody working in family law will tell you that parents abuse or kill their children with depressing regularity.

I don't see what "mutliculturalism" has to do with the case, or why it has been mentioned.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Ibrahim wrote: This is the crux of it to me. What is the benefit of keeping someone alive in this situation? What is particularly odd to me is that it is overwhelmingly religious people who support using medical science to keep souls tethered to broken bodies indefinitely for some undisclosed purpose, dressed up as the "sanctity of life."
What is always interesting to me is the argument of 'You can't play God.", when you want to pull the plug, when in actuality it is playing God to KEEP them on life-support. People don't seem to think very deeply about the fact that we potentially can keep EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING alive in a persistent vegetative state forever given infinite resources. By why would we want to? Do we want to become a society where all we do is keep these corpses alive?

The almost certainly criminal conduct of the parents is a secondary issue. They have been charged and will be prosecuted, which is sufficient. While it is always disgusting to read about, a criminal prosecutor or anybody working in family law will tell you that parents abuse or kill their children with depressing regularity.
Yes, it is. There was a scene in Breaking Bad of a little kid with two junky parents that broke my heart. Reminded me of my best friend in Middle-School who I knew after he was adopted. He ended up in prison, and is probably there for the duration now.
I don't see what "mutliculturalism" has to do with the case, or why it has been mentioned.
Right.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Post by monster_gardener »

Ibrahim wrote:
Enki wrote:I think the more important question is, "Can flesh persisting in a vegetative state be considered a 'person'?" Is there personhood in the absence of consciousness?

This is the crux of it to me. What is the benefit of keeping someone alive in this situation? What is particularly odd to me is that it is overwhelmingly religious people who support using medical science to keep souls tethered to broken bodies indefinitely for some undisclosed purpose, dressed up as the "sanctity of life."

Thank You Very Much for your post, Enki & Ibrahim.
What is particularly odd to me is that it is overwhelmingly religious people who support using medical science to keep souls tethered to broken bodies indefinitely for some undisclosed purpose, dressed up as the "sanctity of life."
Not so odd when sometimes they come back..... Remembering a fireman in a coma for years who came back briefly before dying for the final time..........

As to the religious aspect........ If you are a believer in an eternal Hell.......... Any chance to get right with G_d is priceless........

Even if not eternal........ It can seem that way....... Sort of like the timer on the toothbrush...... ;) :shock:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11483138/ns ... GC9CqB6-So

The almost certainly criminal conduct of the parents is a secondary issue.
Really? :roll: Secondary???? :roll:

In that case is the death of ME people killed by drone & other Uz military attacks secondary to fact that the money could be better spent here at home on repairing bridges or on a robust Space Program with a Meteor Protection Program......

They have been charged and will be prosecuted, which is sufficient.
Which is why it is NOT a secondary issue........ If the facts are as they seem someone needs to get Life WithOut Parole (LWOP).....
that parents abuse or kill their children with depressing regularity.
But we aren't as bad as some other social predators like Lions for instance..........

And IMVHO we may be better than we have been..... Remembering the Romans and their high rates of infanticide... For that matter a Roman paterfamilias could legally kill his grown children.... :shock: :o
The letter "M" as in Mosque, Muslim, and Multicultural....... ;)

And more sadly in this case, Murder.........

Muslims aren't the the only ones to do this sort of thing (see above) but Honor Killing has been a recent dank and drowning topic in cool Canada.........

F-FchYO1Ebw

Hx0CTwMLT8w

z2uVGRxxwEw

They all got only a rather lenient 25 years....... IMVHO LWOP would have been more appropriate...........

Actually the mosque was rather brave to allow such notorious non members, though presumably Muslims, to have the funeral there...... And actually attend........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Jnalum Persicum

Canada

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Canadian aboriginal leader Terry Nelson in Tehran

. . “We are going to go where we need to go to be able to have the voice of the First Nations heard. We have tried very hard to open up human rights issues and we have sent lots of documentations to various embassies. The Iranian Embassy was the only embassy to respond. But we had sent our information to the Americans, the British, the French and the Italians and none of them would respond,” . .

[..]

. . “There are 600 murdered and missing native women in Canada…For over a hundred years, the British legislation, the Canadian Union Act makes indigenous person living on a government reservation legally incompetent,” . .

Saying Canadian Oil belongs to Aborigi ..

and

demanding Iran help Canadian Abrogini become member of OPEC (and probably separate from Canada)

wxXZ8xMvrM4

Typhoon

Canada

Post by Typhoon »

Should have it's own thread. No?

After all, it's big enough. :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener

CANDU Attitude

Typhoon wrote:Should have it's own thread.

After all, it's big enough. :wink:
Thank You Very Much for the Thread, Typhoon.

Quite Right!

Seconded!

Sometimes described as America Without Caffeine but really Canada does do somethings better than Uz does ;)

I really like their CANDU attitude/idea about Nuclear Power........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reactor

Something we Uz and others should be imitating........
Apollonius

Re: Canada

Post by Apollonius »

Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the People's Republic of China

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-ag ... =en&view=d

Stand up to the sell-out to China - Green Party of Canada
http://www.greenparty.ca/stop-the-sellout?sid=74732

What Has Harper Done?

On September 9th, Prime Minister Stephen Harper signed an agreement with China, the Canada-China Investment Treaty. The agreement was kept from the Canadian public and Parliament until September 26th, 2012, when it was quietly made public, tabled in the House of Commons. No press release. No technical briefing. The deal is set for automatic approval. No vote or debate will take place in the House. Once tabled in the House, the clock started ticking. 21 sitting days from September 26 (October 31), this treaty will bind Canada.

Red Carpet for China

So what is the Canada-China Investment Treaty? Simply put, it is the most significant trade agreement signed by Canada since NAFTA. Only this time our “partner” is the communist government in Beijing, an authoritarian regime with an appalling record on human rights –and it isn’t getting better. This deal requires that Chinese government-owned companies be treated exactly the same as Canadian companies operating in Canada. Once in force, it lasts a minimum of 15 years. If a future government wants to get out of it, a one year notice is required – and even once the treaty is cancelled, any existing Chinese operations in Canada are guaranteed another 15 years of the treaty’s benefits. ...

1. Open bar for Chinese state-owned enterprises
The Canada-China Investment Treaty means easier takeovers of Canadian assets, especially in the resource sector. In the context of the possible takeover of Nexen by the Chinese National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC), it is crucial that we collectively pause to consider the wisdom of granting Chinese state-owned enterprises (SOEs) such an easy access to our natural resources.

2. The right for China to claim damages over Canadian laws
The Canada-China Investment Treaty allows Chinese companies (including state-owned enterprises) to sue the Government of Canada over decisions that can limit or reduce their expectation of profits. In treaty language, this is called “tantamount to expropriation.” China can claim damages against Canada for decisions at the municipal, provincial, territorial or federal level. Even decisions of our courts can give rise to damages. The damage claims start with six months of diplomatic negotiation. If that fails, damage claims move to arbitration – behind closed doors.

3. Secret hearings
The Canada-China Investment Treaty would allow Chinese investors to sue Canada outside of Canadian courts. Special arbitrators would take the decisions. These arbitrators, unlike judges, do not have secure tenures or set salaries. Their decision cannot be subject to judicial review. And the arbitrations are to be secret. Even the fact they are happening is to be secret.

4. Limit right to be heard
Only the federal government is allowed to take part in the arbitration process. Provincial governments or Canadian companies, even if their interests are affected, do not have the right to voice their concerns during the arbitration process.

5. China’s obsession for secrecy
The Canada-China Investment Agreement makes Chinese lawsuits secret . At any time, we will not know if we are being sued and who will decide the case. We will not know what our government is saying on our behalf. We will not know if Canada has been ordered to change government decisions. This is a complete U-turn for Canada who has always insisted on complete openness in investor-state arbitration, for example when signing the Canada-US-Mexico free trade deal.

6. Restrictions on our use of our own resources
The Canada-China Investment Treaty requires that if, in the future, Canada wants to conserve natural resources (fisheries, water, oil, uranium, forests -- everything is covered), and reduce Chinese access to these resources, we are only allowed to do so to the extent we limit our own use of those natural resources.
Jnalum Persicum

Apollonius wrote:.

What Has Harper Done?

On September 9th, Prime Minister Stephen Harper signed an agreement with China, the Canada-China Investment Treaty. The agreement was kept from the Canadian public and Parliament until September 26th, 2012, when it was quietly made public, tabled in the House of Commons. No press release. No technical briefing. The deal is set for automatic approval. No vote or debate will take place in the House. Once tabled in the House, the clock started ticking. 21 sitting days from September 26 (October 31), this treaty will bind Canada.

Red Carpet for China

So what is the Canada-China Investment Treaty? Simply put, it is the most significant trade agreement signed by Canada since NAFTA. Only this time our “partner” is the communist government in Beijing, an authoritarian regime with an appalling record on human rights –and it isn’t getting better. This deal requires that Chinese government-owned companies be treated exactly the same as Canadian companies operating in Canada. Once in force, it lasts a minimum of 15 years. If a future government wants to get out of it, a one year notice is required – and even once the treaty is cancelled, any existing Chinese operations in Canada are guaranteed another 15 years of the treaty’s benefits. ...

The Canada-China Investment Treaty means easier takeovers of Canadian assets, especially in the resource sector. In the context of the possible takeover of Nexen by the Chinese National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC), it is crucial that we collectively pause to consider the wisdom of granting Chinese state-owned enterprises (SOEs) such an easy access to our natural resources.

The Canada-China Investment Treaty allows Chinese companies (including state-owned enterprises) to sue the Government of Canada over decisions that can limit or reduce their expectation of profits. In treaty language, this is called “tantamount to expropriation.” China can claim damages against Canada for decisions at the municipal, provincial, territorial or federal level. Even decisions of our courts can give rise to damages. The damage claims start with six months of diplomatic negotiation. If that fails, damage claims move to arbitration – behind closed doors.

3. Secret hearings
The Canada-China Investment Treaty would allow Chinese investors to sue Canada outside of Canadian courts. Special arbitrators would take the decisions. These arbitrators, unlike judges, do not have secure tenures or set salaries. Their decision cannot be subject to judicial review. And the arbitrations are to be secret. Even the fact they are happening is to be secret.

Only the federal government is allowed to take part in the arbitration process. Provincial governments or Canadian companies, even if their interests are affected, do not have the right to voice their concerns during the arbitration process.

The Canada-China Investment Agreement makes Chinese lawsuits secret . At any time, we will not know if we are being sued and who will decide the case. We will not know what our government is saying on our behalf. We will not know if Canada has been ordered to change government decisions. This is a complete U-turn for Canada who has always insisted on complete openness in investor-state arbitration, for example when signing the Canada-US-Mexico free trade deal.

The Canada-China Investment Treaty requires that if, in the future, Canada wants to conserve natural resources (fisheries, water, oil, uranium, forests -- everything is covered), and reduce Chinese access to these resources, we are only allowed to do so to the extent we limit our own use of those natural resources.

look , Apollonius

Lets be frank , what does Canada have ? ?

Research In Motion (RIMM) already in toilet .. Northern Telecom chairs & table auctioned

and

Bombardier probably will leave Canada with Quebec separating

that is it

the rest

was

cutting the trees and shipping to US

and

now

shipping Oil and Gas and Potash and and and to China and US

China and America paying for your Hot-Dog, Apollonius

why you complaining ?

Harper doing what any Canadian PM would have and should do

so

sit down and get over with it

monster_gardener

Creepy Canadian Concord with China????

Apollonius wrote:Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of the People's Republic of China

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-ag ... =en&view=d

Stand up to the sell-out to China - Green Party of Canada

What Has Harper Done?

Red Carpet for China

3. Secret hearings

Thank You VERY Much for your post, Appolonius.

I may be misunderstanding but ..........WOW! If this is true it sounds BAD! ...........
The agreement was kept from the Canadian public and Parliament until September 26th, 2012, when it was quietly made public, tabled in the House of Commons. No press release. No technical briefing. The deal is set for automatic approval. No vote or debate will take place in the House. Once tabled in the House, the clock started ticking. 21 sitting days from September 26 (October 31), this treaty will bind Canada.
Worse than Fast Track in Uz............
What the Devil is going on in Canada :shock: :roll: ........

I thought that the Canadians had a bit more sense than we Uz often do.......

What the Devil may be quite appropriate, as this damned treaty is set to go into effect on Halloween :twisted: :evil: ........

What is Canada getting out of this?..............

How much/what are the Chinese paying Harper is my first reaction.................

Wondering if something like this is coming to Uz next..........

Hannity was bitching yesterday on his radio show about Obama deferring to unions over trade treaties that 'strengthen our friends'........

I am often suspicious of Green Party politics but at first whiff, something smells..........
Jnalum Persicum

Re: Creepy Canadian Concord with China????

monster_gardener wrote:.

What the Devil is going on in Canada :shock: :roll: ........

Monster, ever heard of "Money talks" ? ? ?

Chinese, pretty much, only one who not broke

Did you miss only after Merkel went to Beijing she visited Greece telling "don't worry be happy" ?

Chinese now financing everybody, America runs on Chinese money, Europe runs on Chinese money .. why should Canada be an exception

prepare yourself for getting for your dollar only half Canadian loony, pretty much there (thanks to Chicago boys)

Harper might be a redneck, but he no durian .. he knows where the wind blows

monster_gardener wrote:.

I thought that the Canadians had a bit more sense than we Uz often do.......

Yes, they have (more sense)

you still in "we the greatest" mode

Don't like Harper, not at all .. but, he understands the realities

and

Monster

China needs all the resources Canada has .. AND CAN PAY FOR IT (nobody else can, including you guys .. AND .. Canada no Arab, you gotto pay for :lol: )

ever thought, come a time, Canada might not accept greenback for that 2.5 million barrel of Oil
daily flowing to you by Enbridge Pipeline if Bernanke keep printing and printing
and printing ?

Milo

Post by Milo »

Quebec will never separate, because it is impossible for them to do so. For example, most of their land is owned by aboriginals and so isn't even under provincial jurisdiction. There are plenty of other excellent reasons to think that separatism is no more than a fashionable political designer label.
That treaty with China will be torn up as soon as it is inconvenient to honour it (treaties signed only by the feds can be disavowed by the provinces or thrown out by the courts etc.). Actually China is likely to wind up being screwed if they count on such a treaty.
anderson

Post by anderson »

Milo wrote:Quebec will never separate, because it is impossible for them to do so. For example, most of their land is owned by aboriginals and so isn't even under provincial jurisdiction. There are plenty of other excellent reasons to think that separatism is no more than a fashionable political designer label.
That treaty with China will be torn up as soon as it is inconvenient to honour it (treaties signed only by the feds can be disavowed by the provinces or thrown out by the courts etc.). Actually China is likely to wind up being screwed if they count on such a treaty.
Not to mention inevitable attempts by the City of Montreal and other regions to "de-separate."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

anderson wrote:
Milo wrote:Quebec will never separate, because it is impossible for them to do so. For example, most of their land is owned by aboriginals and so isn't even under provincial jurisdiction. There are plenty of other excellent reasons to think that separatism is no more than a fashionable political designer label.
Not to mention inevitable attempts by the City of Montreal and other regions to "de-separate."
I assume that time and demographics are not on the side of les seperatistes.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.