Computer Games

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Computer Games

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Prodeus looks like a lot of fun.

==================

We are still hackin' away at RDR2.

The whole thing is a trap-- I'm as stuck in this predicament as the pathetic outlaws who keep hoping for just one more big robbery, then they could give up the life.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/steam-deck-p ... ate-specs/

these are going to be awfully hard to ignore once the initial rush is over - unlike steams other hardware offerings this is highly compelling.

runs linux with 70% windows compatibility by default, you can install windows on it if you must, its a proper bit of open hardware with killer specs.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:26 am https://www.pcgamer.com/au/steam-deck-p ... ate-specs/

these are going to be awfully hard to ignore once the initial rush is over - unlike steams other hardware offerings this is highly compelling.

runs linux with 70% windows compatibility by default, you can install windows on it if you must, its a proper bit of open hardware with killer specs.
Only thing I heard about it so far was at this link, quoted in full below:

Steam Deck
I love PC gaming, but I don’t see the market for this. $400 minimal for this?

Why not get a laptop and/or tablet and just have a bluetooth controller with it?

PC Gamers do not like integrated hardware products. After all, that is the point of PC gaming in the first place. If PC gamers wanted integrated hardware products, they’d be buying macs.
I'll be keeping an eye on it for future emulation hacks which are probably already up and running :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

The switch form -- to simplify it-- is an attractive proposition.

One thing which bothers me from the photos, is the button place looks rough. But I (like many I assume) would just be moving the unit room to room/monitor to monitor.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

That opinion makes no sense. A laptop is an integrated hardware product.

But it does come with gaming controllers in a switch sized format.

Their is no waiting for emulators, its a first class pc with open hardware, all the linux and windows emulators already work on it.

It has a huge market i think, all the guys with huge steam libraries that had switch envy for both portability and plug into the tv socialbilty.

I predict its going to be sold out for ages.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:12 am That opinion makes no sense. A laptop is an integrated hardware product.

Their is no waiting for emulators, its a first class pc with open hardware, all the linux and windows emulators already work on it.

It has a huge market i think, all the guys with huge steam libraries that had switch envy for both portability and plug into the tv socialbilty.

oh it definitely undercuts a portion of Nintendo's market in a way Sony or Microsoft couldn't.

If the thing takes off a little bit, it's going to kill the "play the indie games on the go" bit of Nintendo's business.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 am The switch form -- to simplify it-- is an attractive proposition.

One thing which bothers me from the photos, is the button place looks rough. But I (like many I assume) would just be moving the unit room to room/monitor to monitor.
Yeh the button placements are possibly clumsy, thats a wait and see.

In console terms this baby is like sony releasing a switch that runs every game since the ps1

I still have all my 90s game on steam, im going to probably be a customer, this will be my lounge pc, like a tablet on steroids
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:15 am
noddy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:12 am That opinion makes no sense. A laptop is an integrated hardware product.

oh it definitely undercuts a portion of Nintendo's market in a way Sony or Microsoft couldn't.

If the thing takes off a little bit, it's going to kill the "play the indie games on the go" bit of Nintendo's business.
Nobody can touch the entire history of pc gaming as a software library.

Nintendo is the only one with enough exclusives to maintain relevance.

Xbox would be the most worried, it just runs a subset of pc games for console commercial reasons and those reasons are now meaningless

No more paying twice for a game.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Yea, in a sense. But it's been kinda obvious for the last decade that Microsoft wants out of console gaming (while keeping the brand name).

It was one big defensive maneuver anyway.

And they also clearly think they can undercut Valve with their Netflix/streaming-subscription model.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:15 am

Nobody can touch the entire history of pc gaming as a software library.

Nintendo is the only one with enough exclusives to maintain relevance.

Xbox would be the most worried, it just runs a subset of pc games for console commercial reasons and those reasons are now meaningless

No more paying twice for a game.
Right, no one has the software library of PC gaming.

==============

Underneath the sales bonanza driven in part by the pandemic, Nintendo is a mess.

I do not think one game they showed off during E3 is actually made in house. The closest is the new Warioware game, which is Intelligence Systems...which has acted as an auxiliary programming unit for Nintendo since the mid-80s.

It's like a HAL laboratories.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mario , zelda and pokemon (or somesuch) are all they need in terms of frontline games for young families

Thats christmas, birthday and time killer idle clicker covered.

Xbox gamepass will run on the steam console if you install windows on it

So microsoft loses and wins, either way.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

We've done it- RDR2 finished. My goodness.
noddy

Post by noddy »

100% complete finished, or couldnt be arsed doing the side missions finished ?
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:44 am 100% complete finished, or couldnt be arsed doing the side missions finished ?
88.2% is where we ended. There are a handful of collectables technically left.

We didn't catch any of the 13 legendary fish for example. We did occasionally gave it a try to catch at least one, but we weren't going to spend half an hour+ just sitting there fishing.

We finished almost every side mission with a few exceptions-- like there is a guy who wants those legendary fish...or as I read after the fact, there was one guy we met earlier we could meet with again during a lightning storm. If there was a cutscene attached to it, we did it.

I don't know how many are actual required for 100% but the game only requires a certain amount for 100%

Did all the stranger missions too, to the same effect and clearing out the rival gangs.

about 30 of the 90 challenges.

==========================

It is very, very good and a lot of the criticisms of it end up as nitpicks in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, it was just too much for me. It is a game which really demands immersion, and no matter how well it does it, that is a lot to ask. It took us three months and while a lot of those play sessions were 30 min to 1 hr, it was an almost daily grind.

It did feel like a grind to me after about a month in. I don't like living in another world.

That's getting in the way of organizing my thoughts about the game.

Story-wise, I thought all the characters were great. As a cinema game-- it has to be among the best Triple AAA has done in a long time. The world as a whole was pretty amazing too.

Some of it was harmed by the very quick transition from the end of the main story to the post-game. That it happened so quickly is part of the reason I couldn't talk the missus into putting it down. Thankfully, that part really wasn't all that long.

And while a lot of people seem to complain about it, I got what they were going for, it was fine on its own; but it is a jarring tonal shift going from one story to the other.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

California and Five Other States Ban... Gaming Computers?

Trying to order one of the banned machines will trigger an alert: “This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states. Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled.”

The offending component would seem to be the power-hungry NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, but it’s no problem to order the card separately and install it yourself. I tried ordering one from Amazon without any hassle.
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2021/07 ... s-n1465203

Hardly surprising when you think that they don't even want you to have air conditioning.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:47 pm California and Five Other States Ban... Gaming Computers?

Trying to order one of the banned machines will trigger an alert: “This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states. Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled.”

The offending component would seem to be the power-hungry NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card, but it’s no problem to order the card separately and install it yourself. I tried ordering one from Amazon without any hassle.
https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2021/07 ... s-n1465203

Hardly surprising when you think that they don't even want you to have air conditioning.........
What next? Ban all those servers farms owned by Twitter Facebook and Google?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Doc wrote:What next? Ban all those servers farms owned by Twitter Facebook and Google?
If your Carbon Footprint Score is too low, it'll be YOU naked but for a loincloth and a Flabellum as long as you are tall, and then it will be FAN all those servers farms owned by Twitter, Facebook and Google....'>.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:27 am
noddy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:44 am 100% complete finished, or couldnt be arsed doing the side missions finished ?
88.2% is where we ended. There are a handful of collectables technically left.

We didn't catch any of the 13 legendary fish for example. We did occasionally gave it a try to catch at least one, but we weren't going to spend half an hour+ just sitting there fishing.

We finished almost every side mission with a few exceptions-- like there is a guy who wants those legendary fish...or as I read after the fact, there was one guy we met earlier we could meet with again during a lightning storm. If there was a cutscene attached to it, we did it.

I don't know how many are actual required for 100% but the game only requires a certain amount for 100%

Did all the stranger missions too, to the same effect and clearing out the rival gangs.

about 30 of the 90 challenges.

==========================

It is very, very good and a lot of the criticisms of it end up as nitpicks in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, it was just too much for me. It is a game which really demands immersion, and no matter how well it does it, that is a lot to ask. It took us three months and while a lot of those play sessions were 30 min to 1 hr, it was an almost daily grind.

It did feel like a grind to me after about a month in. I don't like living in another world.

That's getting in the way of organizing my thoughts about the game.

Story-wise, I thought all the characters were great. As a cinema game-- it has to be among the best Triple AAA has done in a long time. The world as a whole was pretty amazing too.

Some of it was harmed by the very quick transition from the end of the main story to the post-game. That it happened so quickly is part of the reason I couldn't talk the missus into putting it down. Thankfully, that part really wasn't all that long.

And while a lot of people seem to complain about it, I got what they were going for, it was fine on its own; but it is a jarring tonal shift going from one story to the other.

sounds somewhat simmilar to my red dead 1 experience - i mostly enjoyed it till the end, then it shifted into an epilogue and i faded out very quickly.

RD2 its out on PC now, but your commentary has left me feeling I probably wont play it until I get an inclination for immersive , life occupying games again, which isnt likely at this stage.

one thing that seems amazing in both games (and definately was ground breaking in the first) is the look and feel of the open world - just mindboggling good.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:47 pm California and Five Other States Ban... Gaming Computers?

genius.

these end-of-the-world nutters have zero limits to consequences or justifications, in their heads its end of the world, so nothing can stop them.

i think we have moved on from interesting times, into batshit loony times.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 am
one thing that seems amazing in both games (and definately was ground breaking in the first) is the look and feel of the open world - just mindboggling good.
It really is.

What I'd edit in here is that I still can't shake that it doesn't quite match Breath of the Wild.

Because of the attempts at keeping it realistic and because it is still tied to a cinematic missions-based game.

We did all sorts of exploring for the fun of it and came across little quirky things...but it's still space to get from point A to point B at the end of the day.

Excursions are just that, and exploration is a bonus (for the some who like doing that) before you get back to the real game.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yes, it wasnt complete or interesting as a place to venture - just spawning x wild animals every y minutes, or whatever.

the look of it was amazing, sometimes I would stop and appreciate the scenery while travelling, just like the real world.

it was the first time , and the last time, ive really done that in a video game - the crysis/farcry type things which are also of that nature, never triggered that response in me, it was always just video game.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

It's a good point, and Ubisoft is a perfect foil because they never quite manage it.

Yet, Ubisoft franchises are on much shorter cycles; what would Ubisoft Open World be like if they could do 10-15 year cycles between games?

===================

A0XbWUEv0Ho
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am
Doc wrote:What next? Ban all those servers farms owned by Twitter Facebook and Google?
If your Carbon Footprint Score is too low, it'll be YOU naked but for a loincloth and a Flabellum as long as you are tall, and then it will be FAN all those servers farms owned by Twitter, Facebook and Google....'>.....
Carbon footprint... Is that where one walks naked across a burning fire pit? :P
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Doc wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:23 pm
In the process of putting one out...... yeah, that may work.....;).......
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:47 am
Doc wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:23 pm
In the process of putting one out...... yeah, that may work.....;).......
I am thinking more like the hot tamilie method

4vP1D0fh2Y4 :D