Etymology

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Etymology

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Axe has been an accepted variant dialect in New Orleans for decades.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Since I'd rather not derail the UK thread:

Amusing to discover that the words "whore" and "kurwa" are thought to derive from the same reconstructed Proto-Indo-European *kéh₂ros, from *keh₂- (“to desire, to wish”). Along with the Latin word "carus/cara" (beloved).

Dan Alexe had an interesting piece about the word "pizda", whose original meaning seems to have been "as$". The reconstructed primitive form is (e)pi-sed, with "epi" meaning "on something/down" and the root "sed" being obviously related to the Latin "sedeo", the English "sit" and many other words with the same meaning. Interestingly, the word is connected with the archaic Sanskrit "pidayati" and the archaic Greek "piedzo", both meaning "to sit heavily/to press".

On a side note to the UK thread, I was somewhat surprised to discover that I could read and understand Neacșu's letter from 1521 with very little effort, once I figured out the way he wrote certain sounds.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Thanks for bumping this.

Ymix, how are you with other romance languages?
YMix

Post by YMix »

I'm decent with French and I have a very passing acquaintance with Spanish and Italian.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
NapLajoieonSteroids

YMix wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 am I'm decent with French and I have a very passing acquaintance with Spanish and Italian.
Considering the amount of Spanish speakers here, Spanish and Italian have been blurring together in my speech a lot. It's all scandente. Or deficiente in Spanish. Or as Google translates into Romanian- calitate inferioara- I'm sure there is a better way of doing that. :)

obss4QMmzcw
NapLajoieonSteroids

But what brought to mind the question was this video:

1xVkRh7mEe0

Which I haven't watched but, after first thinking the title kinda silly, I started thinking I don't think I've ever heard Romanian spoken. And that for myself, I'm not sure if I'd be able to pick anything out if I did.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

And the language video which gives me the chills?

TUSxq7KoTsM

_2ZDNgtAsbw

Why? Because business English is the apocalyptic future of the English language. It'll likely outlast the rest of the language (for the most part).

It already is the main language of a significant number of native English speakers and is crowding out the rest of the field.

I do not begrudge anyone who uses it for business purposes or follows that lady or anythin' like that. But it is particularly ugly, and it's the future. :lol:

Additionally, I don't like the name "Business English"- I don't think it describes it all that well; it's not like koine greek or vulgar latin which impresses on my mind a more subtantial image of what they were all about. Maybe it should be called "Sociopathic English" or "Commerce English" instead. :D
YMix

Post by YMix »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am Considering the amount of Spanish speakers here, Spanish and Italian have been blurring together in my speech a lot. It's all scandente. Or deficiente in Spanish. Or as Google translates into Romanian- calitate inferioara- I'm sure there is a better way of doing that. :)
obss4QMmzcw
The problem with this video is the list of words. Someone seems to have picked only words that Romanian retained from Latin. I recommend the second video, which I already know, because it does a much job of explaining the situation.
YMix

Post by YMix »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 amBecause business English is the apocalyptic future of the English language.
Corporatism and business English are the things that remind me most of communism.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 am And the language video which gives me the chills?

TUSxq7KoTsM

I do not begrudge anyone who uses it for business purposes or follows that lady or anythin' like that. But it is particularly ugly, and it's the future. :lol:
Agreed. It is much like "Political English" or "Legal English." Accepted form of verbiages in which no attempt is ever made at reaching a conclusion or solving problems, but a goal of never ending discussion and evasion.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 am
Additionally, I don't like the name "Business English"- I don't think it describes it all that well; it's not like koine greek or vulgar latin which impresses on my mind a more subtantial image of what they were all about. Maybe it should be called "Sociopathic English" or "Commerce English" instead. :D
I think it should be calling's "F**kin English." The F-word is a fine substitute for any number of verb and adjectives. Rarely is ever misunderstood.

Some cultures are far ahead of the northern hemisphere Anglos in language evolution. Eventually, the best and brightest of us will sound like this:
RUhBRlXC8LY

Don't sell yourself short and get discouraged, just takes proper guidance and some personal discipline:
Rm6zIfcS7xI
noddy

Post by noddy »

Cockney rhyming slang was invented to annoy and confuse the middle class and the swear words likewise - Australias scottish, irish and middle england origins are still pretty strong.

Corporate speak is diabolical, as is Doctor speak and Police speak.

Techno speak is equally as bad but im so inside on that Its hard to tell for me sometimes.

Acronyms are used by all and sundry to keep the outsiders, out, nothing dictates tribal affliation like word choices.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:28 am Cockney rhyming slang was invented to annoy and confuse the middle class and the swear words likewise - Australias scottish, irish and middle england origins are still pretty strong.

Corporate speak is diabolical, as is Doctor speak and Police speak.

Techno speak is equally as bad but im so inside on that Its hard to tell for me sometimes.

Acronyms are used by all and sundry to keep the outsiders, out, nothing dictates tribal affliation like word choices.
Well said. Throw religious speak in there as well.

Fashion is a close second. For example "bitch pants" and "man buns."

and those ever annoying Guy Fawkes masks.......
NapLajoieonSteroids

YMix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:29 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 am Considering the amount of Spanish speakers here, Spanish and Italian have been blurring together in my speech a lot. It's all scandente. Or deficiente in Spanish. Or as Google translates into Romanian- calitate inferioara- I'm sure there is a better way of doing that. :)
obss4QMmzcw
The problem with this video is the list of words. Someone seems to have picked only words that Romanian retained from Latin. I recommend the second video, which I already know, because it does a much job of explaining the situation.
:D I'm pretty sure it's the youtube equivalent of a rom-com. It's a meet cute where two people from two different backgrounds and locations find out that they share dozens of words in common, and fall in love 'cause the story calls for it, and it's quirky. By the end of the video, they will learn to live happily ever after by living by that vocabulary sheet. ;)

In the sequel, set in the future, it shall be a comedy of misunderstanding as their kids have reverse engineered Latin and now the whole family is at odds linguistically- but the kids will learn by the end that just because parents don't understand, doesn't mean they don't love'em- the whole thing will be called Cheaper A Dozen. ;)
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

YMix wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:32 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 amBecause business English is the apocalyptic future of the English language.
Corporatism and business English are the things that remind me most of communism.
I have heard this point before. There is something to this, and probably much to reflect upon.

I'd speculate that certain political eruptions, at least in words if not actions, are centered around this rupture between habituated English and the ever encroaching business-English.
YMix

Post by YMix »

OAAmwtdP1bE
YMix

Post by YMix »

Oj7a-p4psRA
noddy

Post by noddy »

love that kind of thing.

Australians when they do the full ocker, dropping syllables, get pretty close to that level of gibberish.

Funnily enough once you get used to it, you can still hear all the original words - seems the subtlely tonal languages like Chinese where developed by underclass redneck types.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

96235908_4345870942150283_6132537326670184448_n.jpg
96235908_4345870942150283_6132537326670184448_n.jpg (92.47 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

NapLajoieonSteroids

RAK87QMbw_0
NapLajoieonSteroids

8ue7iUZTTiw
NapLajoieonSteroids

ZAsNO9eXLgM
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

-VsmF9m_Nt8
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:54 pm ZAsNO9eXLgM
Reminds me of the Italian drinking toast "Cin cin" which sounds exactly like a common slang term for penis in Japanese.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.