The U.K.

YMix

Re: The U.K.

Post by YMix »

A YouGov survey found that Brexit is by far the most pressing constitutional matter for the Conservative rank-and-file, with most members claiming they would accept Scotland and Northern Ireland departing the Union if that was the price of the UK's exit from the European Union.
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-4949043
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

The line between utter devotion to a cause and mass hysteria/insanity is subjective. Is this a sign that Tories are simply stupid and/or mislead, that they are willing to stop at nothing to achieve their objective, or both?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Why would they care if Scotland and Ireland go back to being themselves ?

i find the dogmatic insistence that bigger groupings is better is pretty damn difficult to find in the actual world we live in, rather than the theoretical world of the folks with opinions - you can almost garuntee that the bigger the grouping the bigger the amount of poeple trapped in permenant, grinding poverty is and the worse the standard of living in terms of fresh air and good food is.

London will get shite, sucks to be London, everyone else probably wont notice so much and long term might end up better for not being part of the EU experiment, Its not like thats all streets paved with gold and win win for everyone.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:Why would they care if Scotland and Ireland go back to being themselves ?
Because it would reduce the country's position in the world even more, placing England firmly behind Germany and France. Brexit is not a rational decision to leave the EU, but one last ride into glory to show that the English "still got it". Like other major powers, England became great by freely exploiting the manpower and resources of other nations. I don't see how losing Scotland and Northern Ireland will help the English position and self-esteem. Especially if Scotland and Ireland end up doing quite well themselves.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats a bit cartoon villain for my understanding of it all - those forces in England have kind of devolved into the upper crust and the bankers, the former is withdrawn and embarrased about the commonwealth and the latter is London and the power brokers who wanted to remain, this brexit stuff is not the empire types, its the sick of the outside world types.

Scotland recently had the power to vote itself out, nobody was going to war over empire, nobody really cared.

the wonders of the modern world are available to anyone, we live in a globalised market, the only stress in my parts is high immigration putting housing under stress.. id vote for a smaller GDP every day of the week, it means nothing, the only thing thats real is how much of that GDP makes it to me and how high the cost of living is and these are not population related maths.

the folks that think they are always linked 1-1 and more population means the number is bigger for everyone have to make up lies and gibberish like per capita recession
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:this brexit stuff is not the empire types, its the sick of the outside world types.
I disagree. On the other hand, it's a complex enough issue that we could both be right.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

YMix wrote:
noddy wrote:this brexit stuff is not the empire types, its the sick of the outside world types.
I disagree. On the other hand, it's a complex enough issue that we could both be right.
Not too complex though: democracy in nation states is being hollowed out by various ideological, political and transnational economic forces that conspire alias naturally expand towards global monopoly.

4gVSHk3CAI4

Just a thought. Commercial marketing, adverstising and social media techinparticular, do naturally appeal to the more herd-mob like behavior, social needs and base reflexes of people. No wonder they choose sides of the regressed leftist illiberal identitarians because they are like an army of obedient soldiers and a solid consumer-base as well whose behavior is quite predictable.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Not too complex though: democracy in nation states is being hollowed out by various ideological, political and transnational economic forces that conspire alias naturally expand towards global monopoly.

4gVSHk3CAI4

Just a thought. Commercial marketing, adverstising and social media techinparticular, do naturally appeal to the more herd-mob like behavior, social needs and base reflexes of people. No wonder they choose sides of the regressed leftist illiberal identitarians because they are like an army of obedient soldiers and a solid consumer-base as well whose behavior is quite predictable.
Well said P. Modern tech promised more autonomy and localization for the little guy. As "we" got more interconnected, the little guy learned that once "we" became aware of his existence, "we" could not care less about him and his ideas, other than the aspect of controlling the strays who disagree with the herd.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Parodite wrote:Not too complex though: democracy in nation states is being hollowed out by various ideological, political and transnational economic forces that conspire alias naturally expand towards global monopoly.

Agreed.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Parodite wrote:
YMix wrote:

4gVSHk3CAI4

Yes, that is human nature. What is missing is the fact that all depends on truth, justice, mercy and dare I say a non-contingent righteousness? We can throw all politics into the wind of post-modernism, but righteousness must remain the origin.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:Well said P. Modern tech promised more autonomy and localization for the little guy. As "we" got more interconnected, the little guy learned that once "we" became aware of his existence, "we" could not care less about him and his ideas, other than the aspect of controlling the strays who disagree with the herd.
The herd of rugged individuals! ;) Looks like being a contrarian at all times is the only antidote to the loss of "me" in some "we". Even to the point of being chronically at odds with oneself at all times. Extreme ruggedness. Forever dying, always being born again. :shock:
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Yes, that is human nature. What is missing is the fact that all depends on truth, justice, mercy and dare I say a non-contingent righteousness? We can throw all politics into the wind of post-modernism, but righteousness must remain the origin.
What you mean with rightenousness? Is it more than a good sense of fairness and the ability to empathise with other sentient beings? It seems to me that also the origin is always some sort of a mixed bag of tasty and nasty stuff plus ever shifting potentialities. Sinners can become saints and vice versa etc. Human nature doesn't seem to a constant. "The devil" I would say is God having a bad day.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I struggle to see the mythical time period in which most folks were super informed and democracy wasnt hollow.

I see the opposite,before the internet we had a highly restricted subset of media feeding the whole country a narrow, sensibl viewpoint which kept everyone on much the same page when it comes to arguments, this makes everyone comfortable that everyone thinks the rules are the same and they can trust the other people.

now, their are alt-right and anti-fa and greeny loons and all sorts who arent centre right types and that creates much paranoia about "what the others think"
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

in more positive news, one of Londons prime exports, parties for rich arabs, is still going strong.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 7908e91ac7
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Well said P. Modern tech promised more autonomy and localization for the little guy. As "we" got more interconnected, the little guy learned that once "we" became aware of his existence, "we" could not care less about him and his ideas, other than the aspect of controlling the strays who disagree with the herd.
The herd of rugged individuals! ;) Looks like being a contrarian at all times is the only antidote to the loss of "me" in some "we". Even to the point of being chronically at odds with oneself at all times. Extreme ruggedness. Forever dying, always being born again. :shock:
amen. rugged individualists should not search internet social media in search of virtual hugs of support.

"I" was a victim, so I joined a "we are victims" political action committee/support group to gain some political muscle and a sense of recognition. Then "I" got lost in the ever expanding crowd. "I" felt bad about being a victim, then "I" felt worse when I became part of the mob and my self-identity ceased to exist. social justice destroyed my sense of personal justice. it's so unfair.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:I struggle to see the mythical time period in which most folks were super informed and democracy wasnt hollow.

I see the opposite,before the internet we had a highly restricted subset of media feeding the whole country a narrow, sensibl viewpoint which kept everyone on much the same page when it comes to arguments, this makes everyone comfortable that everyone thinks the rules are the same and they can trust the other people.

now, their are alt-right and anti-fa and greeny loons and all sorts who arent centre right types and that creates much paranoia about "what the others think"
amen. the good ole days were "I know most of the world agrees with me, cause I only socialize with about 20 people." vs. the modern era of "several billion people think I'm a racist/misogynist/_____-o-phobe."

ignorance of the existence of those who disagree with you is bliss.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:in more positive news, one of Londons prime exports, parties for rich arabs, is still going strong.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... 7908e91ac7
some times the friend of my friend is my enemy.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:I struggle to see the mythical time period in which most folks were super informed and democracy wasnt hollow.

amen. the good ole days were "I know most of the world agrees with me, cause I only socialize with about 20 people." vs. the modern era of "several billion people think I'm a racist/misogynist/_____-o-phobe."

ignorance of the existence of those who disagree with you is bliss.
yah, very little evidence that any group, anywhere actually wants multiculture in its proper, multiple cultures form - scratch deep enough and most turn into fans of multi racial at best.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillette | Cometh the hour, cometh the man

A profile of the new PM Boris Johnson.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:Quillette | Cometh the hour, cometh the man

A profile of the new PM Boris Johnson.
" I never read the proclamations of generals before battle, the speeches of flihrers and prime ministers, the solidarity songs of public schools and left-wing political parties, national anthems, Temperance tracts, papal encyclicals and sermons against gambling and contraception, without seeming to hear in the background a chorus of raspberries from all the millions of common men to whom these high sentiments make no appeal. "

Very interesting profile. Thanks for posting. In the best of all possible worlds, Trump wins in 2020, and Boris Johnson becomes POTUS in 2024.

This sounds familiar. From the comments:
Charlie
July 23, 2019
Since the 1930s and especially after Suez in 1956 the dominant voice in public affairs has been pessimistic, effete, self hating, impractical, priggish , metropolitan , conceited with a belief in their moral and intellectual superiority. They are convinced of the perpetual decline of Britain because they lack the daring, drive and ingenuity which builds civilisations. Theyperceive that because they are timid, effete and impractical and have thrown in the towel, then this should be the fate of Britain. The men tend to be scared of the blue collar types because they are physically weak. Boris is physically robust with a classically trained mind which is brilliant and can joke with blue collar men and women and his ebullient sense of humour mean he can quickly develop a rapport with people of West Indian and African descent. Many of the priggish effete types though claiming not to be snobs or racist usually look down on white blue collar people and are physically scared in the presence of solidly built men of West Indian and West African descent. Many feeble left types continuous use of the word racist is because they are physically scared of non-whites and wish to hide it.
Boris is an optimist, who has zest for life and plays the clown because if he did not, those physically weaker, smaller and intellectually inferior would be intimidated. Western Society has had the affluence to enable large numbers of intellectually mediocre and physically feeble types to dominate public discourse and create society in their image. It is fairly easy to define intelligence, fitness, sporting skill, musical skill, physical bravery or even beauty and proved wrong. However, once a person considers themselves moral and morally superior to others it is almost impossible to prove them wrong as it is not measurable. If moral superiority goes with a belief in intellectual superiority it almost impossible to prove them wrong. Thus those who hate Boris because they fear and hate him and conceal these emotions under a cloak of moral and intellectual superiority. Those who oppose Boris have done nothing to improve the quality of life of the poorest; he reduced the murder rate which is the greatest form of inequality.
Boris is the optimistic intellectually bright, robust, resilient type who is needed in pioneer societies.
Most left types and even many conservatives from the middle class are pessimists because they are full of fear, from which develops self hatred and hatred to that that which shows them to be fearful and inadequate to overcoming the challenges of life. It is one thing to be fearful, full of self hatred, inadequate to life’s challenges; but is even worse when somebody by their actions demonstrates that persons, fear, inadequacy and self hated.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

EzfsYej23zI
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:17 pm Reuters | Queen Elizabeth approves British parliament suspension

It's her prorogative.
Also it is apparently something that has happened regularly for a very long time, which is not something I learned from popular media reporting.

Would like to hear more about it from someone who is familiar.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

So, how 'bout that tattered British constitution?...

That eternal curmudgeon Peter Hitchens wrote, years ago now, that the referendum was a disaster in the making:

First, it was offered in bad faith-- as Mr.Cameron couldn't possibly see it passing and threw it out there as a cynical calculation to keep together a collapsing Tory party.

Second, no one in Parliament wishes to carry it out. That includes Mr. Johnston, who as often recorded supported Brexit, thinking it a loser, for his own ambitions.

Third, it opens up all sorts of questions about the the relation between the people and parliament; parliament and the queen, so on and so forth. A referendum, if I am recalling Mr.Hitchens' position correctly, is an extra-constitutional novelty with little bearing to convention and the order of things in the United Kingdom. It only opens the door to mischief and the further destruction of the old order.

==================

Considering where it is at today, Hitchens's objections from years ago look prescient.