Cricket | A bit of a sticky wicket

And they're off . . .
Simple Minded

Re: Cricket | A bit of a sticky wicket

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: "A hopeless romantic received a harsh lesson about love after he proudly flaunted a T-shirt from his ex-girlfriend. The man thought it was “beautiful” that his ex gave him the shirt with the words “BHENCHOD,” according to his friend on social media.Nov 2, 2017
Man thinks T-shirt gifted by ex-girlfriend means 'I love you'
https://nypost.com/2017/.../man-thinks- ... -love-you/
haha thats awesome :)

their are a few 'chod variations, with chod being f*cker - madarchod with madar == mother is also common, as is a full array of animals, so listen for any "chod" ness when eating indian.

chutiya is cnut, but australian rules and not american rules, a general purpose "bastard!" in usage.

the nice bit is they come out with the accents in the right place to become drop in replacements.
only is some parts of the US would sister fooker be an insult.
In Arkansas, a common joke is
then Scotty said "Hey Joe cmon over here. I want you to meet my wife and my sister."
So I walked over there. But there was only one woman standing next to Scotty.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yah, its the problem you get when secret mens business is broadcast on global television.

many men, from most cultures, when away from the sensible folks love a good lavender stir and a bit of obnoxious gutter talk, especially in competitive games against opposition you have known for years.

it doesnt always translate well to dinner time television in middle class households.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:yah, its the problem you get when secret mens business is broadcast on global television.

many men, from most cultures, when away from the sensible folks love a good lavender stir and a bit of obnoxious gutter talk, especially in competitive games against opposition you have known for years.

it doesnt always translate well to dinner time television in middle class households.
yep. even the most well cultured, when among their peers, often get playfully combative and insulting. as a French co-worker would say "for the French, conversation is a competitive sport." she is a tomboy and can take it as well as she can dish it out.

nor does it translate well via social media/internet. "common ground" is a very interesting and apt expression. I think wiseasses can often recognize and ID each other from across the room in a matter of milliseconds.

when there is no common ground, it's all inkblots. some people's inkblots suck.

there should be an ap for interpreting cyber-inkblots.
noddy

Post by noddy »

hah, inkblot controversy again, this time a Pakistani guy mumbled "the black guy is lucky, his mum must be doing voodoo" and it got caught by the microphones.
vwohuqh347c21.jpg
vwohuqh347c21.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
the apology is great, "sorry i got caught"
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:hah, inkblot controversy again, this time a Pakistani guy mumbled "the black guy is lucky, his mum must be doing voodoo" and it got caught by the microphones.

the apology is great, "sorry i got caught"
I'd respect his apology more if it was:

"Why don't all you white people sod off and quit trying to impose your white manners and white culture on us non-white people? If we adopt your manners, the next thing that will happen is you'll be accusing us of cultural appropriation!"

Wouldn't been a nice turn of play, instantly changing from nasty oppressor to sympathetic victim.

"I'm sorry I got caught" sounds like Merkin white oppressor cultural appropriation to me. :P
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.justwatch.com/au/tv-show/cr ... ai-indians

netflix has a vageuly interesting documentary on the indian IPL tournament - which is the biggest and craziest tournament in the world in terms of money/viewership/time

It only lasts 6 weeks (with a 2 week training lead in) and some guys can make upwards of several million USD in base wages before even the sponsorship and advertising money kicks in - for players from south africa or the caribbean they can make more in 1 month than a lifetime in their local leagues.

The teams are made up of 8 indians and 4 superstar overseas players, so this means you get local kids coming up against the best of the best which creates crazy situations of skills mismatch, yet also kids turning into heros.

the worst bit of the doco is the actual game footage is barely shown and badly edited so as a cricket fan It was annoying to get a few snippets of game without context.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cricket/commen ... hilarious/

cant find the youtubes of this but its amateur cricket in its full glory.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/Cricket/commen ... hilarious/

the cricket gods seem a vengeful lot. pro sports will never be as entertaining as amateur sports. possible exceptions for music, religion, and politics. oh yeah, and Climate Science.

in our business we used to have a form called an "FFU" for Field Follow Up. The forms were completed whenever a service error happened. yep. You guessed it. They quickly became known as Field genuflect Up forms, so they had to be changed to Condition Reports.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
in our business we used to have a form called an "FFU" for Field Follow Up. The forms were completed whenever a service error happened. yep. You guessed it. They quickly became known as Field genuflect Up forms, so they had to be changed to Condition Reports.
heh.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.sportsmax.tv/index.php/cric ... odi-status
The United States have now attained One-Day International status for the first time in their history, thanks in large part to former West Indies and Jamaica opener, Xavier Marshall.

Marshall scored an even 100 during the USA’s World Cricket League Division Two match against Hong Kong at United Cricket Club in Namibia.
a bunch of second teir Caribbean players and Indian immigrants have got america into the world ODI tournament, albeit, division 2.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:

the cricket gods seem a vengeful lot. pro sports will never be as entertaining as amateur sports. possible exceptions for music, religion, and politics. oh yeah, and Climate Science.

Back in the US, a colleague used to write FUBAR on malfunctioning apparatus.
Not finding this word in any English dictionary, I asked him what it meat and learned something knew.

Have continued to use the Japanese phonetic - katakana version: フーバー because I liked the sentiment behind the expression so much.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the other 2 american millitary words from a simmilar origin are clusterf*ck and shitstorm, both equally great at rolling off the tongue.

the latter was even adopted by the germans , https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23142660
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Back in the US, a colleague used to write FUBAR on malfunctioning apparatus.
Not finding this word in any English dictionary, I asked him what it meat and learned something knew.

Have continued to use the Japanese phonetic - katakana version: フーバー because I liked the sentiment behind the expression so much.
You gotta love the universal aspect of human nature and language. Though I suspect the Aussies are the true master of the word f**k.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the other 2 american millitary words from a simmilar origin are clusterf*ck and shitstorm, both equally great at rolling off the tongue.

the latter was even adopted by the germans , https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23142660
I did not know those terms had a US origin. And so many intellectuals claim we have made no meaningful contribution to high culture.

Well, "F**k them and the horse they rode in on!"

Very similar to clusterf**k are the terms "goat rope" or "circle jerk."
noddy

Post by noddy »

ZqXWWkHacUY

cricketers are adding baseball hitting to their array of shots.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:ZqXWWkHacUY

cricketers are adding baseball hitting to their array of shots.
too cool. looks like a combination of a golf swing and a baseball swing.

just the accents of the announcers alone makes cricket a more interesting sport for the viewer than baseball, IMSMO.
noddy

Post by noddy »

World Cup starts in a week or so, should be a cracker, barring the fact this year they took alot of character off by only allowing the top 10 teams to play.

England are home town favourites, Australia and India close behind, so all games between those 3 should be top notch.

Lots of late nights for me
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

it starts tommorow, ill put world cup predictions here so i can laugh at myself later.

* England and West Indies have stacked teams of batters and a belief they can make more runs than they lose from the relatively poor bowling
- I say the back half of the tournament when the stress and pressure is high, the teams with top notch bowling attacks will destroy them.

* Australia and India have traditionally balanced teams of top notch batters and bowlers but both have soggy middle/late order hitting so can be exposed
- I say they probably should be the finalists unless the above big hitting teams knock em down early, both are too dependant on top order batting.

* South Africa has an excellent bowling attack but the batting isnt that exciting and relies too heavily on a couple of guys
- wont survive a whole tournament without some of the other batters playing better than their history suggests.

* New Zealand and Afhganistan plucky underdogs, couple of worldclass players in batting and bowling but not enough to win consistently
- Afghanistan in particular is a wonder story, trained in refugee camps and capable of beating the best on a good day, came out of nowhere to be in the world cup.

* Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh - just not good enough this iteration , Sri Lanka will be lucky to win a single game.

this leaves me with Aus, England, India as the faves - England with the home advantage and Aus/India with the balanced team advantage.

West Indies, South Africa and New Zealand are fighting for my 4th spot in the finals and of them South Africa or West Indies has the biggest darkhorse upset potential - ill choose the Saffers.

Australia, England, India and then South Africa will be the final order.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Oh Well, half way through and my predictions are 50/50.

right
-----
India and England are the strongest teams and England is suspect against good bowling, India is pretty much the best team across the 11 players.
Australia's soggy middle/late order hitting is going to cost us the tournament , it will take a brilliant performance from some key players to hide this deficiency, so it will be luck rather than quality that lets us be competitive.

wrong
--------
South Africa choked harder than even I could imagine, we all thought they were over that but nope, still cant handle the big stage.
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-South-Af ... ng-special

New Zealand is the 4th best team and might well beat Australia on a good day, like us they have half a team of world class quality and half a team of unreliables.

The West Indies have their moments but their hit or die lack of technique doesnt cut it against good bowling.

---

the ripping leg spinner that starts at about 20 seconds into this is top stuff - drifts and curves heavily to the left, bounces and grips, then darts off too the right.

i0xfzzUqXtA
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Khd6ZHBAIbcisi0ZeWOuKOllMpVUZo5DKc1TuiMxkuA.jpg
Khd6ZHBAIbcisi0ZeWOuKOllMpVUZo5DKc1TuiMxkuA.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
its not complicated, a handful of positions , then modifiers for closer in, furthur away, in 2 dimensions.

my favourite is "silly" .. which is very close to the batsmen and somewhat dangerous.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 am
---

the ripping leg spinner that starts at about 20 seconds into this is top stuff - drifts and curves heavily to the left, bounces and grips, then darts off too the right.

i0xfzzUqXtA
Cool stuff. Thanks for posting. Much more entertaining than American baseball.

I suspect institutional racism is the only reason why it is not popular in the US.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am Khd6ZHBAIbcisi0ZeWOuKOllMpVUZo5DKc1TuiMxkuA.jpg

its not complicated, a handful of positions , then modifiers for closer in, furthur away, in 2 dimensions.

my favourite is "silly" .. which is very close to the batsmen and somewhat dangerous.
No base running? Scoring is based only on hitting the ball? Points scored for where the ball lands?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 pm
noddy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am Khd6ZHBAIbcisi0ZeWOuKOllMpVUZo5DKc1TuiMxkuA.jpg

No base running? Scoring is based only on hitting the ball? Points scored for where the ball lands?
only 2 bases - one where the batter is, the other where the pitcher is , we have 2 batters at the same time and they swap ends to score runs.

then home runs come in 2 flavours - over the fence on the full is 6, on the ground is 4.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

There oughta be a cricket primer. Or a book Cricket for Dummies......
Juno

Post by Juno »

Are the rules of cricket an invention of Charles Dodgson or is that just a rumor?
Proud Member International Brotherhood of Bullfighters, Rodeo Clowns, and Barrelmen, Local 17