Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Typhoon

Re: Japan

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:No need for the "quotes". There's no conspiracy. I've made that mistake before a few times when replying to various posts, accidentally hitting "Edit" instead of "Quote".

One of the downsides of having mod capabilities. My apologies for the unintended edit.
I did that so many times. I hated it.
Maybe. But if you mistakenly edit a post, you can as easily un-edit it in order to restore it to its original form...
If one remembers exactly what the original post consisted of . . .
Hitting the edit button by mistake, instead of the quote button, I can understand. Subsequently hitting the submit button seems an excessive lack of attention...
I'm reminded of the observation of someone I met on holiday once who owned a resort that offered an all-inclusive package:
that people are far more likely to complain about a service that they receive [or perceive to receive] for free than one that they pay for.

Think whatever you like. At this point, I am no longer concerned about this specific incident.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Typhoon wrote:I'm reminded of the observation of someone I met on holiday once who owned a resort that offered an all-inclusive package:
that people are far more likely to complain about a service that they receive [or perceive to receive] for free than one that they pay for.
In my experience $ 45 an hour clients are more high-touch than $ 100 an hour clients.
Think whatever you like. At this point, I am no longer concerned about this specific incident.
I don't know if you do this, but the way to reclaim the post even after you submit, (Which is really easy to do), is use the back button to get back to the post before you edited it. You can copy it from the page and then you'll have to renest the quote tags and all that, which is a PITA, but it helps one reclaim the content at least.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
YMix

Post by YMix »

Endovelico wrote:Hitting the edit button by mistake, instead of the quote button, I can understand. Subsequently hitting the submit button seems an excessive lack of attention...
If you don't realize you've clicked the Edit button, there's no reason why you should hesitate before clicking Submit. I've done it myself a couple of times back on Tinker's board. See for example the private message below.
A mistake

Sent: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:54 pm
To: Hans Bulvai
I have accidentally edited your post with the Der Spiegel link in the Lybia thread by pressing Edit instead of Quote. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I'm still not used to having four buttons on a post. :oops:

You can post your link to the Der Spiegel again or ask Tinker to undo my change.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Enki wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I'm reminded of the observation of someone I met on holiday once who owned a resort that offered an all-inclusive package:
In my experience $ 45 an hour clients are more high-touch than $ 100 an hour clients.
I don't know if you do this, but the way to reclaim the post even after you submit, (Which is really easy to do), is use the back button to get back to the post before you edited it. You can copy it from the page and then you'll have to renest the quote tags and all that, which is a PITA, but it helps one reclaim the content at least.
Enki,

Thank you for your post. But some people find it very hard to admit they are wrong or have made a mistake. Or maybe it wasn't a mistake in the first place... Specially when they try to convince us that messing with a post of ours was a free service we should be thankful for...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Enki wrote:
Enki,

Thank you for your post. But some people find it very hard to admit they are wrong or have made a mistake.
You were provided with an admission of a mistake, an apology, and an explanation.

The explanation was subsequently confirmed by the other current mod and a former one.
Endovelico wrote:Or maybe it wasn't a mistake in the first place...

Specially when they try to convince us that messing with a post of ours was a free service we should be thankful for...
I'd say you're overthinking the issue - I don't work for the Kempeitai.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Re: Complaints

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Yeah the my tech issue was on my end. After a hard restore and a couple of days of reinstalling and resetting drivers following up a complete system restore this puppy is as lively as ever. Haven't had one screen freeze on me yet. I'm sure the wife and kids will find a way to install something that isn't suppose to be on this computer but in the mean time at least I know it wasn't this site that was the problem.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Since reinstalling all of my software and starting over I have installed a few add on's to my Mozilla browser and have found a few things that interest me. I recently added self destructing cookies to the browser and was surprised how many cookies there are on pages that I don't even open a link to. There are at times at least 4 cookies added to each page from sites like youtube and metacafe but there are also cookies from services such as the one that adds posting capabilities to the page such as the beautiful women thread. I never knew that there cookies were added to things imbedded within a page before.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:Since reinstalling all of my software and starting over I have installed a few add on's to my Mozilla browser and have found a few things that interest me. I recently added self destructing cookies to the browser and was surprised how many cookies there are on pages that I don't even open a link to. There are at times at least 4 cookies added to each page from sites like youtube and metacafe but there are also cookies from services such as the one that adds posting capabilities to the page such as the beautiful women thread. I never knew that there cookies were added to things imbedded within a page before.
Behavioural tracking has grown into a major behind the scenes industry.

The Mozilla add-on Ghostery will block such sites:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /ghostery/

Some sites have over 10 third-party trackers installing cookies.

I use the Chrome version.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Ghostery on the NY Post website. :)
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Thank you installed
Been busy doing stuff
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:Since reinstalling all of my software and starting over I have installed a few add on's to my Mozilla browser and have found a few things that interest me. I recently added self destructing cookies to the browser and was surprised how many cookies there are on pages that I don't even open a link to. There are at times at least 4 cookies added to each page from sites like youtube and metacafe but there are also cookies from services such as the one that adds posting capabilities to the page such as the beautiful women thread. I never knew that there cookies were added to things imbedded within a page before.
Behavioural tracking has grown into a major behind the scenes industry.

The Mozilla add-on Ghostery will block such sites:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /ghostery/

Some sites have over 10 third-party trackers installing cookies.

I use the Chrome version.
Some of them slow downloads of pages considerably as well.

At times a real PITA. But if you want to really stop from being tracked.

https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning .

You can even download it to a memory stick and put it in your pocket to use anywhere. The trick is to find a tor proxy server that is faster. Mostly ones on the same continent as you.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Public notice: the mods are tolerant of your stuff to a fault, however, if you use the derogatory term "Japs" again you will be immediately banned from this forum in perpetuity.
Why are some expressions considered more offensive than others, while being very similar in nature? Would a Frenchman object as strongly being called a "Frog"? Or a German a "Hun"? Or a Briton a "Limey"? Or an Australian a "Aussie"? Or a Spaniard a "Dago"?... While not being exactly friendly, I fail to see why they are so objectionable.
"Aussie" as far as I know is unoffensive as it is part of the Australian vernacular: to shorten words

umbrella -> brolly

sunglasses -> sunnies

electrician -> sparkies

The rest are not.

The internet is full of sites wherein posters devote their time and energy to calling each other names.

No interest in hosting yet another such site.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Public notice: the mods are tolerant of your stuff to a fault, however, if you use the derogatory term "Japs" again you will be immediately banned from this forum in perpetuity.
Why are some expressions considered more offensive than others, while being very similar in nature? Would a Frenchman object as strongly being called a "Frog"? Or a German a "Hun"? Or a Briton a "Limey"? Or an Australian a "Aussie"? Or a Spaniard a "Dago"?... While not being exactly friendly, I fail to see why they are so objectionable.
"Aussie" as far as I know is unoffensive as it is part of the Australian vernacular: to shorten words

umbrella -> brolly

sunglasses -> sunnies

electrician -> sparkies

The rest are not.

The internet is full of sites wherein posters devote their time and energy to calling each other names.

I'm not suggesting that we address each other in that manner, but I feel you overreacted to an expression which, although crude, cannot be considered as "name calling". You may claim that people who formerly used the word "Jap" meant to be offensive, but the word in itself is nothing more than short for Japanese. It's not objectively offensive and I'm sure Azari didn't mean to be offensive. At most he was clumsy in the choice of words. Threatening to expel him appeared therefore a bit excessive. We have learned in this forum to stay civil even when we disagree, and harsher expressions, when used, have never been taken too much at heart. Intelligent people are not easily offended, and we are all pretty intelligent, methinks. It would be a pity if our record of above average tolerance would be marred by some punitive action of that nature.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

This issue is not to be taken cavalierly. oh..... and other people object to it too.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

umbrella -> brolly

sunglasses -> sunnies

electrician -> sparkies

The rest are not.

I'm not suggesting that we address each other in that manner, but I feel you overreacted to an expression which, although crude, cannot be considered as "name calling". You may claim that people who formerly used the word "Jap" meant to be offensive, but the word in itself is nothing more than short for Japanese. It's not objectively offensive and I'm sure Azari didn't mean to be offensive. At most he was clumsy in the choice of words. Threatening to expel him appeared therefore a bit excessive. We have learned in this forum to stay civil even when we disagree, and harsher expressions, when used, have never been taken too much at heart. Intelligent people are not easily offended, and we are all pretty intelligent, methinks. It would be a pity if our record of above average tolerance would be marred by some punitive action of that nature.

There are expression that are used for a specific "mindset" for a specific "time period"

NAZI were people from MARS who did those things and represented not only fascism but racism and and and that not only prevailed in Germany but pretty much all over the western world of that time .. they not same as Germans of today

"Japs" too is an expression of people who came from MARS and did all those things in China and needed "comfort woman" and many things of that sort, with mindset of "imperial Japan" same as Nazi Germany

There are many expression of that sort that "represent" a SCHOOL (of culture) and are now common use in language

Saying "Japs" intentionally means to differentiate from Japanese , meant saying they not same people

but, this beyond the point here

Azari has the feeling, Colonel looking only for excuse to bug Azari .. hurting feelings is not Persian culture, Pomegranates pride themselves in their civilization .. Azari was intimately involved with German AND Japanese culture, educated in German hemisphere and made the money with Japan, "looks up" to those 2 cultures

Would recommend to Colonel Sun, YMix and everybody else on this fora to read THIS to realize whom you dealing with .. "educate from crib to grave" (Moh the pedophile) :lol:

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
The day ALI is banned for the use of something as relatively innocuous as "Jap" is the day I'm gone as well. Consider the name-calling by Ibs—liar, racist, etc., etc., etc.—talk about straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel!
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
The day ALI is banned for the use of something as relatively innocuous as "Jap" is the day I'm gone as well. Consider the name-calling by Ibs—liar, racist, etc., etc., etc.—talk about straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel!
If you have an objection to a post then PM the mods the link [faster than flagging]

Otherwise,

No PMS -> no complaints -> everybody's happy, happy, happy.

You end up spending most of your time in Hell, anyways.

Predestination?
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:
If you have an objection to a post then PM the mods the link [faster than flagging]

Otherwise,

No PMS -> no complaints -> everybody's happy, happy, happy.

You end up spending most of your time in Hell, anyways.

Predestination?
Strange way of reacting to a honest bit of criticism...
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:You end up spending most of your time in Hell, anyways.

Predestination?

Nope . . bad company.

Every time I post something in my area of interest some dick-head gets it dragged into Hell by calling me a liar, racist, dumb, stupid, you-name-it, and I'm insane enough to reply.

What's the definition of insanity? . . doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? . . :oops:
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:. . . everybody's happy, happy, happy. . .
CS . . . is dat you?

iWp1VOFQxKg
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

A word for Azari.......

Post by monster_gardener »

Thank You VERY MUCH for Maintaining the Forum, Typhoon and YMix.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your patience with those of us here including me who sometimes act like Depraved, Sinful Egotistical Chaos Monkeys....... :roll:

I am a Japanophile but I am not Japanese so some words do not have the same sting for me just like being called a "cabron*" does not have the same impact if Spanish is not your first language.....

That said, FWIW given that I too sometimes take up the admin's time :roll: , I would like to put in a word for Azari.

Azari has a different/unique viewpoint with which I OFTEN disagree....

But I find disagreeing with Azari to be an agreeable ;) experience compared to other disagreement I have here......

I think that the Forum would be less if he were not here...... Still great........But less

I hope that if Azari does transgress similarly again, mercy of some sort would be shown rather than a perpetual ban......

*goat
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Endovelico

Re: A word for Azari.......

Post by Endovelico »

monster_gardener wrote:I hope that if Azari does transgress similarly again, mercy of some sort would be shown rather than a perpetual ban......
This is completely misplaced. We know Azari and know he is not an offensive person. Knowing he is not offensive and certainly means no offense, to allow oneself to feel offended by something he says or writes is a bit silly.

By the way, "cabrón" is a man whose wife cheats on him and he doesn't seem to mind or be able to react. One can understand a Spaniard macho feeling a bit offended at the implication... What does "Jap" mean which could be considered equally offensive?...
Heracleum Persicum

Re: A word for Azari.......

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Endovelico wrote:.
monster_gardener wrote:.

I hope that if Azari does transgress similarly again, mercy of some sort would be shown rather than a perpetual ban......

This is completely misplaced. We know Azari and know he is not an offensive person. Knowing he is not offensive and certainly means no offense, to allow oneself to feel offended by something he says or writes is a bit silly.

In contemporary history, last 150 years, many atrocities were committed by nations that must be reminded, debated, analyses .. if not, not only same thing will happen again, but values, morals, just & unjust etc etc will be perverted, leading to much bigger human catastrophes to come

Calling things what they are, being honest to history, shows the greatness and shows that nations not same as B4

When "comfort woman" mentioned, Colonel comes with American military report saying those woman were hookers .. when atrocities mentioned in China, threatening word is uttered

and

Mr. Colonel Sun .. don't forget .. a fora consists of "Participants" AND the quality of participants, without which you might be talking to yourself in "beautiful Woman" thread

In that sense, I do not appreciate being said what and how to say it .. NAZI, JAP, ZIONIST, NEOCON, COMMI, SOZI, FASCIST and and are legitimate commonly used proverb and nothing wrong with it .. Nazi not derogatory for German nation, not same as calling Arabs "Camel driver" as that implies belittling Arabs

I do not regret saying whatever I said last few yrs on this fora .. I stand to each single word I said

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Jinn, Goats and Trolls..........

Post by monster_gardener »

Endovelico wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:I hope that if Azari does transgress similarly again, mercy of some sort would be shown rather than a perpetual ban......

By the way, "cabrón" is a man whose wife cheats on him and he doesn't seem to mind or be able to react. One can understand a Spaniard macho feeling a bit offended at the implication... What does "Jap" mean which could be considered equally offensive?...
Thank You Very Much for your post, Endo.

This is completely misplaced.
Perhaps......... But I hope not.........
We know Azari and know he is not an offensive person. Knowing he is not offensive and certainly means no offense, to allow oneself to feel offended by something he says or writes is a bit silly.
I may be wrong, but IMVHO when Depraved Sinful, Egotistical Chaos Monkeys interact with each other, offense is almost inevitable unless GREAT care is taken.

I offend with some frequency.......... ;) :roll: ;)

Recalling what almost got Aladdin killed by his Jinn servant & friend in the Arabian Nights stories......
By the way, "cabrón" is a man whose wife cheats on him and he doesn't seem to mind or be able to react.
True..... Or that he doesn't know it........

But literally it means "goat" and usually one does not want to be a goat unless one is able to beDevil one's foes by so being.......

Or to Gruffly ;) defeat a Troll..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff

Though better a goat than a hornless sheep.......
What does "Jap" mean which could be considered equally offensive?
LzzrdGrrl has touched a couple of terms.........

Perhaps simply that Japanese people consider it offensive..... Perhaps something like calling a Black person a "nigger/nigga" even though "nigger" is simply a corruption of the Spanish word for the color black........

In any case, I would highly recommend avoiding its use on the Forum........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Endovelico

Re: Jinn, Goats and Trolls..........

Post by Endovelico »

monster_gardener wrote:
What does "Jap" mean which could be considered equally offensive?
Perhaps simply that Japanese people consider it offensive..... Perhaps something like calling a Black person a "nigger/nigga" even though "nigger" is simply a corruption of the Spanish word for the color black........
As the story goes, when British prisoners of war were punished for calling Japanese "Japs", they resorted to calling them "Nips", and that seemed to be alright... at least for a while... :D