Complaints

Code of conduct, technical issues and problems, suggestions, and/or complaints
Typhoon

Re: Jinn, Goats and Trolls..........

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
monster_gardener wrote:
What does "Jap" mean which could be considered equally offensive?
Perhaps simply that Japanese people consider it offensive..... Perhaps something like calling a Black person a "nigger/nigga" even though "nigger" is simply a corruption of the Spanish word for the color black........
As the story goes, when British prisoners of war were punished for calling Japanese "Japs", they resorted to calling them "Nips", and that seemed to be alright... at least for a while... :D
Apparently it is Portuguese traders that are responsible for the eventual English exonym "Japan".

The [official] Japanese name for Japan is 日本 pronounced as "Nippon", hence the origin of the pejorative "Nips".

I recall meeting a Western colleague outside his hotel in Kyoto one chilly morning during rush hour to head off to a conference.

By way of conversation, as we joined the crush of commuters going to work, he commented on the weather that "It's a bit nippy out today."

He then realized the double meaning of what he had just said and looked at me in horror of having offended.

I looked at him, then at all the people hurrying about us, and doubled over with laughter.

Anyways, ethnic/religious/class/racial pejoratives have no place here.

Anyone who has a need to use them can, I'm sure, find another place on the internet to post.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Complaints

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:. . . everybody's happy, happy, happy. . .
CS . . . is dat you?

iWp1VOFQxKg
I had in mind a South Park episode that I watched during a trip to the US.

I9TeVdW8sYA
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:I recall meeting a Western colleague outside his hotel in Kyoto one chilly morning during rush hour to head off to a conference.

By way of conversation, as we joined the crush of commuters going to work, he commented on the weather that "It's a bit nippy out today."

He then realized the double meaning of what he had just said and looked at me in horror of having offended.

I looked at him, then at all the people hurrying about us, and doubled over with laughter.

Anyone who has a need to use them can, I'm sure, find another place on the internet to post.
So you can laugh it out everywhere except on this board...
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

As a native Floridian, I find being called a "Cracker" complimentary by those of any race. Being called a "queer ass" Cracker would be curious. I have black friends who disagree, and who deliberately avoid the term " Cracker" for their own reasons.

Avoiding terms the board finds offensive is not a problem, and it does not seem to be an issue for other board members either.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I recall meeting a Western colleague outside his hotel in Kyoto one chilly morning during rush hour to head off to a conference.

So you can laugh it out everywhere except on this board ...

CS, on record, sort of does not have a taste for Iran and Iranians .. must find his post admitting so and post here, was in Tinker forum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:.

Avoiding terms the board finds offensive is not a problem, and it does not seem to be an issue for other board members either.

different people could be sensitive for different "terms" .. Germans might not like NAZI , Mosche might not like Zionist, some might not like homo, blacks might want "African American" .. etc

"terms", as long as widely used, and not derogatory to a nation, indicating "a school, philosophy, a mindset" must be used .. NAZI or Zionism can not be omitted , "camel driver" should be omitted

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

So you can laugh it out everywhere except on this board ...

CS, on record, sort of does not have a taste for Iran and Iranians .. must find his post admitting so and post here, was in Tinker forumI'
Good luck in finding any such post.

Committing the logical fallacy of misapplying mathematical induction - judging an entire nation and people based on the posts of an individual - is not my way of thinking.

I remember asking my Iranian then girlfriend what she thought of the Revolutionary Guards after she returned from a trip back to Iran.

She replied, "They smell."
noddy

Post by noddy »

whats wrong with the school of thought behind camel driving ?

got lots of sympathy for the borderer types myself, i use white picket fence as derogatory language.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:whats wrong with the school of thought behind camel driving ?

got lots of sympathy for the borderer types myself, i use white picket fence as derogatory language.
"white" picket fence?

RACIST! ;)

or would RURALIST! or URBANIST! or SUBURBANIST! be more appropriate? ;)

Amen to Typhoon & noddy for their attitudes. People without a sense of humor live in a hell of their own creation. Seems just!

as they say back home, "Genuflect em if they can't take a joke!"

I loved the nippy anecdote above. thanks! I miss the days when Americans thrived on ethic jokes and busting each others chops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0

Everyone loved hearing and telling jokes that made fun of their "group identity." Come to think of it, it was because most people back then considered the very concept of group identity itself to be somewhat of a joke.

Makes me feel sorry for the hypersensitive young'uns of today. Don't know what they are missing. Couple generations, those days will return.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Context

VXD8yOxIPB0

counts.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Simple Minded wrote:Makes me feel sorry for the hypersensitive young'uns of today. Don't know what they are missing. Couple generations, those days will return.
What generation would you say had the perfect blend of the ability to make racist jokes without any social consequences, but also treated minority groups like human beings? Can't realistically be any time before about 1969. What's the window?

On this forum group discrimination is routinely advocated, and occasionally approval or encouragement of individual or mass killings based on group identity. Slurs are relatively innocuous by comparison.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

It's a PC minefield. I learnt that one should not call them Eskimos but instead Inuit, but apparently some are not, and the only really collective term for native American (or "first nation") Arctic inhabitants is Eskimo....

This side of the pond, most of you will be aware that the most despised/discriminated against/parasitic dysfunctional culture in Europe (lets not argue it here...) is not Muslims but Gypsies , but you must call them Roma, but apparently some are Sinti, and no one else knows the difference.

Do you Americans object to "Yanks"? We make no distinction as to which side of the Mason-Dixon line you come from...
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Torchwood wrote:
Do you Americans object to "Yanks"?
No, but we would think you came of age in WWI.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Endovelico

Re: Why Canada and the U.S. Should Merge

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:A number of petty posts that contravene the SFRs have been deleted.

Q: Why did not you not move them into the Hell section?
A: It's a time consuming process and the deleted posts were not worth the effort.

Q: I'm not happy that the mods deleted what I spent time writing.
A: As far as the mods know, posting here is entirely voluntary. If anyone is not happy, then they are more than welcome to post elsewhere.
You have, once more, deleted a post in which I dared criticizing your impulsive moderation, if you can call it so. For an agnostic you do have some strange divine delusions... Do you think you are beyond criticism, or that publicly criticizing your actions is some form of sacrilege?...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: . . .

If there is an issue with people breaking the SFR then I have a suggestion. Why don't the moderators instead of moving or deleting the offending posts publicly ask the writers of the posts to move or delete them first? Just deleting posts without warning does more harm than good IMHO. IF they still will not move or delete the posts then everything is transparent leaving a lot less room for dissent. --Just my two cents
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Endovelico wrote:
Typhoon wrote:A number of petty posts that contravene the SFRs have been deleted.

A: It's a time consuming process and the deleted posts were not worth the effort.

A: As far as the mods know, posting here is entirely voluntary. If anyone is not happy, then they are more than welcome to post elsewhere.
You have, once more, deleted a post in which I dared criticizing your impulsive moderation, if you can call it so. For an agnostic you do have some strange divine delusions... Do you think you are beyond criticism, or that publicly criticizing your actions is some form of sacrilege?...
That's what this Complaints section is for.

The SFRs are, I think, both simple and clear.

This mod would much prefer not to have to spend time moderating this board,
however, if posters cannot self-moderate, then I will do it for them, as I have no interest
in paying for and maintaining a board that consists of spam and petty insults.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:

If there is an issue with people breaking the SFR then I have a suggestion. Why don't the moderators instead of moving or deleting the offending posts publicly ask the writers of the posts to move or delete them first? Just deleting posts without warning does more harm than good IMHO. IF they still will not move or delete the posts then everything is transparent leaving a lot less room for dissent. --Just my two cents
I've tried that and my experience is that I've met with resistance to such requests or replies such as
"I'll remove/modify my post if so and so removes/modifies theirs first".

No interest and time in mediating a protracted negotiation over each post.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I've tried that and my experience is that I've met with resistance to such requests or replies such as
"I'll remove/modify my post if so and so removes/modifies theirs first".

No interest and time in mediating a protracted negotiation over each post.

There should be no need for negotiation. You give a warning to move or delete a post and that should be that. If they think their post is worthwhile they can move it If not delete it. If they do not want to act then my experience is that it should be moved rather than deleted since their impolite post is there for all to see and judged. Which says something about the nature of the post and the poster. No one is perfect. Some are less so than others. One of my faults is I love writing headlines.. IE one liners. I think they can be hilarious. Also, I think that they can get people to think on a higher plain sometimes. However that does not go well with the idea of fewer threads. So I generally try to keep them to a minimum number. But like I said just my two cents.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Repost, Endo. I respect your opinions, and I believe most others do as well.

You must admit many useless posts have been sent up lately. Sometimes pruning is not perfect, but without it the plant will bear meagre fruit. Just repost.

Teresa of Ávila
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Typhoon wrote:(...)I have no interest in paying for and maintaining a board that consists of spam and petty insults.
That's a wild exaggeration. Besides, I have been occasionally insulted and I have never asked for the insults to be removed. We live in an imperfect world and I'm sure we all can put up with some aggravation. Anything is preferable to having someone playing censor. Besides, our board is most of the times pretty free of such rudeness.
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:.

Repost, Endo. I respect your opinions, and I believe most others do as well.

You must admit many useless posts have been sent up lately. Sometimes pruning is not perfect, but without it the plant will bear meagre fruit. Just repost.

Endo among those with most meaningful posts .. have not seen a single post of Endo deserving intervention .. high regard for his opinion and views

Not always, but more than sometimes CS is biased, he not fair towards everything coming from (that) specific geographic region :)

BTW, CS, FYI, Roman numbers have no "ZERO", and, as such, can not be divided .. and .. what you call "Arabic number" ain't Arabic, it is "Indian" that Pomegranates took over and cultivated, Kharazmi and other Pomegranates Giants in reality made computing possible, Algebra and Algorithm and all the rest .. Persia (and, maybe, Greece) is where science was born, you guys were in "Witchcraft" cultivation

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Thanks to Col. Sun/Typhoon for his Time & Money

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:
Endovelico wrote:

That's what this Complaints section is for.

The SFRs are, I think, both simple and clear.

This mod would much prefer not to have to spend time moderating this board,
however, if posters cannot self-moderate, then I will do it for them, as I have no interest
in paying for and maintaining a board that consists of spam and petty insults.
Thank YOU VERY MUCH for maintaining the Forum, Admins, Typhoon & YMix
I have no interest in paying for and maintaining a board that consists of spam and petty insults.
I knew that maintaining the forum took time but I did NOT know that you were paying money for it!

Thanks again.

Your friend & admirer,

Monster Gardener.
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Re: Christ as a capitalist

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I would like to say that I think the mod action is unwarranted, this is not about Christ as a Capitalist, this is about a particular verse of scripture that has been debated for centuries, that is about the rich, and not capitalism, or socialism. I would like to request that the thread be restored.
Censorship isn't necessary
Typhoon

Re: Christ as a capitalist

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I would like to say that I think the mod action is unwarranted, this is not about Christ as a Capitalist, this is about a particular verse of scripture that has been debated for centuries, that is about the rich, and not capitalism, or socialism. I would like to request that the thread be restored.
The two topics are sufficient similar to warrant a single thread.

The mods won't split hairs over points of theology, however, they will both split posts and merge threads as necessary.
Heracleum Persicum

when I want to upload, attach a picture, this comes up
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
what does it mean ?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

It means it's rather pissed off and won't upload another attachment unless you slip it a fiver.....'>>.....
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........