The Donald....the newest savior.....

Typhoon

Re: The Donald....the newest savior.....

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:
Typhoon wrote: Given that the pretext of "global warming" is the one most likely to sway the scientifically challenged bureaucrats,
it may be a cynical but clever move to get his way.
Typhoon,

Good grief - Trump would say anything to get his way? I'm shocked! :o

Alex.
The "anything" bit is your projection.

Anyways, a reasonable strategy if one has to deal with bureaucratic twits: using their own ideological blinders against them.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:awww not fair. doesnt count if you dont put it out in public.

apparently they guy id vote for is still irrelevant but polling stronger each year.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ls/484151/

The liberatarians, as currently constructed, are just a pot&immigration uber alles party full of tree house builders. As for Mr.Johnson, he's another with a potted understanding looking for access to the hothouse flowers.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 55751.html
The Libertarian Party convention saw an unexpected striptease after a candidate for the party chair began dancing and stripping down to a thong during his two minute speech.
looks like a group focused on the real issues to me.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

Typhoon wrote: Given that the pretext of "global warming" is the one most likely to sway the scientifically challenged bureaucrats,
it may be a cynical but clever move to get his way.
Typhoon,

Good grief, Donald Trump would use a "pretext" to get his way? I'm shocked! :o ;)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/pretext

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Donald Trump has told Californians that there is no drought. According to him, politicians are misusing their water, which he will restore to them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... de4414f435

Is anyone going to believe this?

Alex.
noddy

Post by noddy »

before we discuss words like 'drought' we need to come to an understanding of what is in fact 'normal'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/scien ... .html?_r=0
The drought, now in its fourth year, is by many measures the worst since the state began keeping records of temperature and precipitation in the 1800s. And with a population now close to 39 million and a thirsty, $50 billion agricultural industry, California has been affected more by this drought than by any previous one.

But scientists say that in the more ancient past, California and the Southwest occasionally had even worse droughts — so-called megadroughts — that lasted decades. At least in parts of California, in two cases in the last 1,200 years, these dry spells lingered for up to two centuries.

The new normal, scientists say, may in fact be an old one.

perhaps an arid land with droughts that last centuries shouldnt be wasting water on an agriculture business that cant sustain itself, perhaps the government should reallocate it more wisely.

the science is backing him, its up to you to choose between the facts and the progressive faith.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

noddy wrote: perhaps an arid land with droughts that last centuries ...
nod,

I agree with you that Trump was factually incorrect to claim that "There is no drought" in California.

The question of whether scarce water during a drought should be prioritised for agricultural purposes or golf links is a different matter of course, and one for Californians to debate.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... california

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_in_California

Alex.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:before we discuss words like 'drought' we need to come to an understanding of what is in fact 'normal'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/scien ... .html?_r=0
The drought, now in its fourth year, is by many measures the worst since the state began keeping records of temperature and precipitation in the 1800s. And with a population now close to 39 million and a thirsty, $50 billion agricultural industry, California has been affected more by this drought than by any previous one.

But scientists say that in the more ancient past, California and the Southwest occasionally had even worse droughts — so-called megadroughts — that lasted decades. At least in parts of California, in two cases in the last 1,200 years, these dry spells lingered for up to two centuries.

The new normal, scientists say, may in fact be an old one.

perhaps an arid land with droughts that last centuries shouldnt be wasting water on an agriculture business that cant sustain itself, perhaps the government should reallocate it more wisely.

the science is backing him, its up to you to choose between the facts and the progressive faith.
Beat me to it. Still, don't know what a President would do with a state issue like this.

California is also hampered by the rather intractable water property rights which have been a problem in California since the US took it over. The only difference is that right now, their luck in absorbing nonsense has run out.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Or as our Doc posted not too long ago, Are the livelihoods of millions worth the lives 6 fish?

California is full of humbug in this regard. Their agricultural use of the land is ridiculously inefficient (a portion of the land can and should be pastoral- not to mention they underdeveloped in water saving technologies,) the golf links&perfect lawn culture is inefficient, then they waste water on a sundry list of pet causes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

manolo wrote:
nod,

I agree with you that Trump was factually incorrect to claim that "There is no drought" in California.

The question of whether scarce water during a drought should be prioritised for agricultural purposes or golf links is a different matter of course, and one for Californians to debate.

Alex.
I agree that its incorrect to talk of drought in a dry place as if it means the same thing as drought in a wet place, it most certainly is factually incorrect to claim califorinia should be wetter than it currently is.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
manolo wrote:
nod,

Alex.
I agree that its incorrect to talk of drought in a dry place as if it means the same thing as drought in a wet place, it most certainly is factually incorrect to claim califorinia should be wetter than it currently is.
Quite.

By geological standards, California is not especially dry at the moment.

Blaming the current situation on "man-made climate change" is just more pseudoscience woo:

At a minimum, green lawns should be replaced by indigenous plants.

Water in California was even the basis of a great movie:

ppGd-2nEOVQ
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

victor Davis Hansen has more than a few columns on water usage & management in CA.

Interesting perspectives from a fifth generation farmer/historian with a Phd.

http://victorhanson.com/wordpress/

as others have noted, humans are one of the few species that knowingly will soil their own nests.
manolo

Post by manolo »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Beat me to it. Still, don't know what a President would do with a state issue like this.
Nap,

Duckin' Donald has the answers you require. :)

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: ...as others have noted, humans are one of the few species that knowingly will soil their own nests.
SM,

I think about this when I am attending to Felix, our Syrian hamster.

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: ...as others have noted, humans are one of the few species that knowingly will soil their own nests.
SM,

Alex.
Vote Brexit while you still can! Syria has run out of rapists and are sending hamsters!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
SM,

Alex.
Alex,

Cause the hedgehogs all have English accents?

I've read about the immigration crises over there. FWIW, I consider you to be a better man than the hypocritical bastards who claim to be pro-immigration humanitarians, but they don't take any refugees into their homes. Scum they are!

Did you screen first to find out if they were Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Democrat, or Republican? Are you buying Kosher or Halal hamster food?

kudos!

New puppy picked her own name on Friday, Maggie! I assume she wants to be an Iron Lady...
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
manolo wrote:
SM,

Alex.
Vote Brexit while you still can! Syria has run out of rapists and are sending hamsters!
dont be so flippant, ive heard richard gere has a horror story to tell about the dangers of swarthy rodents.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
manolo wrote:
SM,

Alex.
dont be so flippant, ive heard richard gere has a horror story to tell about the dangers of swarthy rodents.
In terms starting malevolent gossip that grew into a cultural meme and finally into an urban legend,

the Gere vs gerbil rumour is a work of pure evil genius.
Snopes.

The rumor's spread was aided by an anonymous prankster who, not long after the film Pretty Woman led to a tremendous increase in Gere's popularity, flooded fax machines in Hollywood with a phony "press release" purportedly issued by the Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, claiming that Gere had "abused" a gerbil. But, as a reporter from the National Enquirer found when he attempted to track down the gerbil story, there were no facts to be had.
The poor fellow. Long after his films have been forgotten, his name will still be associated with "gerbiling".

However, I digress . . .
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:awww not fair. doesnt count if you dont put it out in public.

apparently they guy id vote for is still irrelevant but polling stronger each year.

http://www.ontheissues.org/Gary_Johnson.htm
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... ls/484151/

The liberatarians, as currently constructed, are just a pot&immigration uber alles party full of tree house builders. As for Mr.Johnson, he's another with a potted understanding looking for access to the hothouse flowers.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 55751.html
The Libertarian Party convention saw an unexpected striptease after a candidate for the party chair began dancing and stripping down to a thong during his two minute speech.
looks like a group focused on the real issues to me.
Who doesn't want a President who can thong-bomb a press gathering at the drop of a hat?
noddy

Post by noddy »

colonel sun: blah blah facts blah

napster: https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+abbott+speedos
(australias recently deposed conservative leader had a thing for budgie smugglers in public appearances)
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Another happy day in Trump world. :)

The former head of the CIA has claimed that Trump is ‘feeding ISIS’ with his anti-muslim rhetoric.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mic ... f=politics

Is this claim true?

Alex.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I see Ymix is putting us on double secret probation and Alex is winning arguments in his head.

But others are the ridiculous ones. ;)
A simple re-calibration will change those perceptions...... ;)

Isn't that where all of us win arguments? Except the losers?
It depends on the math. I think I could show you mathematically that in theory you can win so many arguments that your opponents will exclaim, "You're out of your mind!" Thus proving that you can indeed win arguments outside your own head. ;)
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:hah. probably true, i was under the vague impression he did have state power once and did a decent job of it.

the basic stance of "do what you will but dont expect me to pay for it" that the economic conservative libertarians have is the closest to my worldview.

makes me a 10%er, if only i could piss off that pesky 90% :P
(This isn't all directed at you noddy, I'm using your post as a jumping off point because you touch on something I think a lot of people believe- they can get conservative ends by libertarian means- that I don't fully understand.)

The thing about libertarians is that there are never around when you need them and they'll always fold when it comes to practicing what they preach. 'Cause there are too many of them that have their own pet issue that is an exception to their nighwatchmen, anything goes mentality. And the party has no way to compromise these positions between people because at heart they uphold the same rotten principles that are eating away at any decency in the political portside.

And what I mean by that goes beyond my own preferences to an increasing inability of people to cope with the ambivalence and ambiguities which are apart of life. And you see it in all political sets- (since we're talkin' American politics here I'll use American terms) the Republicans are not immune. It's just by nature and disposition that it is slower in an omnibus party with social and financial conservatives to express itself as the dominant attitude of its politicos, its affluent and its aspirational....but by God, are they trying their darnedest for it to be so. And that's before we get to the increasingly obnoxious and self-promoting alt-right and that box of misfits...

If we go through the Democratic Party platform, we'd be hard pressed to find an issue that isn't decided around establishing more patron-client relations or increasing rent-seeking behaviors or adjudicating issues depending on who is or isn't a mascot group. It's a way of circumventing legislative rule on all scales as a means to avoid having to make a choice (or compromise) on any issue which has no clear cut solution. The other trick to be found is to hide themselves in status or word games that only the articulate can keep up with. Being articulate and deft enough to keep up with these games has little to do with smarts or wisdom but it sure looks impressive when you lack the confidence to make any choices in life.

And the same goes for the libertarians, who have their own status and word games; but in practice, prefer the courts over legislative bodies, adhere to fashionable class prejudices, assume their own superiority, view the relationship between gov't and its people as a patron-client situation....All you have to do is read a Tyler Cowens' or Peter Thiel, and its really hard to see the utility of the libertarian label or how its going to bring about some alternative to American liberal hegemony.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue May 31, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:colonel sun: blah blah facts blah

napster: https://www.google.com/search?q=tony+abbott+speedos
(australias recently deposed conservative leader had a thing for budgie smugglers in public appearances)
Amen. Facts, facts, facts, that'll destroy the intellectual Bilderberg front group called OTNOT quicker than........ something really quick.

If the Gere/gerbil thing involved cocaine, and body cavities, it reminds me of the old joke about San Francisco:
What did the brown gerbil say to the white gerbil? You must be new in town!

I'm starting to re-assess Alex's altruistic motives for importing refugee Syrian hamsters. :o :shock:

Could a selfless individual really love a hamster?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I see Ymix is putting us on double secret probation and Alex is winning arguments in his head.

But others are the ridiculous ones. ;)
A simple re-calibration will change those perceptions...... ;)

Isn't that where all of us win arguments? Except the losers?
It depends on the math. I think I could show you mathematically that in theory you can win so many arguments that your opponents will exclaim, "You're out of your mind!" Thus proving that you can indeed win arguments outside your own head. ;)
:lol:

touche' (French for good point!)

Modifying the old bromide about not arguing with idiots to don't argue with smart people either..... :P
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:hah. probably true, i was under the vague impression he did have state power once and did a decent job of it.

the basic stance of "do what you will but dont expect me to pay for it" that the economic conservative libertarians have is the closest to my worldview.

makes me a 10%er, if only i could piss off that pesky 90% :P
(This isn't all directed at you noddy, I'm using your post as a jumping off point because you touch on something I think a lot of people believe- they can get conservative ends by libertarian means- that I don't fully understand.)

The thing about libertarians is that there are never around when you need them and they'll always fold when it comes to practicing what they preach. 'Cause there are too many of them that have their own pet issue that is an exception to their nighwatchmen, anything goes mentality. And the party has no way to compromise these positions between people because at heart they uphold the same rotten principles that are eating away at any decency in the political portside.

And what I mean by that goes beyond my own preferences to an increasing inability of people to cope with the ambivalence and ambiguities which are apart of life. And you see it in all political sets- (since we're talkin' American politics here I'll use American terms) the Republicans are not immune. It's just by nature and disposition that it is slower in an omnibus party with social and financial conservatives to express itself as the dominant attitude of its politicos, its affluent and its aspirational....but by God, are they trying their darnedest for it to be so. And that's before we get to the increasingly obnoxious and self-promoting alt-right and that box of misfits...

If we go through the Democratic Party platform, we'd be hard pressed to find an issue that isn't decided around establishing more patron-client relations or increasing rent-seeking behaviors or adjudicating issues depending on who is or isn't a mascot group. It's a way of circumventing legislative rule on all scales as a means to avoid having to make a choice (or compromise) on any issue which has no clear cut solution. The other trick to be found is to hide themselves in status or word games that only the articulate can keep up with. Being articulate and deft enough to keep up with these games has little to do with smarts or wisdom but it sure looks impressive when you lack the confidence to make any choices in life.

And the same goes for the libertarians, who have their own status and word games; but in practice, prefer the courts over legislative bodies, adhere to fashionable class prejudices, assume their own superiority, view the relationship between gov't and its people as a patron-client situation....All you have to do is read a Tyler Cowens' or Peter Thiel, and its really hard to see the utility of the libertarian label or how its going to bring about some alternative to American liberal hegemony.

all valid observations from my perspective - its difficult with labels, especially when it comes to talking across the anglosphere variations of them.

in australia 'small el liberal' is your classic small government,socially tolerant blah without the guns and god part that america favours so the groupings and parralells are not easy to draw.

big el Liberal is your neocon, internationalist type conservative in an unholy alliance with the social conservatives, so that group is somewhat more simmilar.

your death of the big tent observation is very true, except how could one express such a point of view in this context......... triangulator?!

surely a big tent person is cough.. liberal|libertarian :P

sometimes i wonder if all the words and descriptors and groupings are just clumsy rose coloured dreams of how it was before government got quite so big, before we lost our comfy little schizophrenias between public appearance and private behaviours that the older world handled so much better.

~insert one of spenglers better old pieces on the benefits of catholic hypocrisy here~
Last edited by noddy on Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian