Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 am
Typhoon wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:43 pm
Doc wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm
Typhoon wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:21 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:11 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHuZnfnUtI

Uranium 238 in a cloud chamber
Beautiful.

It was exactly this type of cloud chamber demonstration that sparked my interest in physics as a kid.
Yeah its pretty cool. I noticed there are rays showing up that appear to be from something other than the Uranium.
The other trails are due to cosmic rays and some trace natural background radiation.
Cosmic rays would have been my first answer until I realized that they don't reach the earth's surface. But I just looked it up and secondary particles from Cosmic ray collisions in the upper atmosphere are considered secondary cosmic rays. So I stand corrected in that I thought I was wrong but I wasn't. :P

Though given the frequency it is very concerning for health of astronauts and even commercial jet pilots.
radiation_dose_chart.png
radiation_dose_chart.png (87.43 KiB) Viewed 150 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:37 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:11 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHuZnfnUtI

Uranium 238 in a cloud chamber
Beautiful.

It was exactly this type of cloud chamber demonstration that sparked my interest in physics as a kid.
Yeah its pretty cool. I noticed there are rays showing up that appear to be from something other than the Uranium.
The other trails are due to cosmic rays and some trace natural background radiation.
Cosmic rays would have been my first answer until I realized that they don't reach the earth's surface. But I just looked it up and secondary particles from Cosmic ray collisions in the upper atmosphere are considered secondary cosmic rays. So I stand corrected in that I thought I was wrong but I wasn't. :P

Though given the frequency it is very concerning for health of astronauts and even commercial jet pilots.
radiation_dose_chart.png
Thanks !! This chart is a keeper.

Personally I prefer Seebert over Sievert.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/k4Hh7DFkQgsTCZHK8
As with four mountain ridges between it and anything that might get nuked. So after in WWIII, it should have fewer Sieverts than average. With plenty of relatively Sievert free fish to eat. :D
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:00 pm

Beautiful.

radiation_dose_chart.png

As with four mountain ridges between it and anything that might get nuked. So after in WWIII, it should have fewer Sieverts than average. With plenty of relatively Sievert free fish to eat. :D
Well, if nothing else, you'd end your days in a beautiful part of the USA.

From what I've read recently that region has been attracting retirees with its relatively low cost of living and inexpensive properties.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 pm
Doc wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:00 pm

radiation_dose_chart.png

Well, if nothing else, you'd end your days in a beautiful part of the USA.

From what I've read recently that region has been attracting retirees with its relatively low cost of living and inexpensive properties.
You can buy a lot more home there for much less money. Though the winters are a bit rough. I was looking at one place on top on a mountain that has access in the winter and sit right on the top of a 600 foot cliff. However at 2800 foot elevation the winter is even rougher. But a real amazing view.

In the valleys of course pretty much every property is surrounded by views of mountains if the trees don't obstruct them. Plus national and states forests every where and the lowest population density in the US east of the Mississippi River. My original interest in that area is my father used to take me there when I was very little quite often. Plus the area was my play ground in my teens and twenties.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros