Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Parodite

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Parodite »

Thanks, I read the chapter. I have the Feynman lectures always ready to study. Fantastic teacher he must have been.

Yes, probability amplitude. Instead of "superposition" I came to like the simple word sum of wave amplitudes. Like 4 = 2+2, instead of 4 = "2 being in 2 places at the same time" nonsense.

What's in a word or a sentence... but part of the problem I have with QM is the language used to communicate it. Suggestive-of-things-neither-understood-nor-empirically proved.

Jesus' cave was empty, so what happened between crucifixion and resurrection remains a mystery; he might have been in two places at the same time! Unfortunately momentum and location have to be dismissed as reliable indicators of his present whereabouts. Of course he could be anywhere by now; maybe still entangled with the holy spirit, or his mind in another region of the multiverse, or even back in a superposition with God. Heaven: where all is in a superposition. Where we are God and God is us, all is entangled with everything. Indivisible Unity. Until symmetry is broken once again and things start to decohere with a big bang. The Fall…

In the meantime, a thought popped up. Why isn’t gravity simply one side of a pancake and expansion of the universe the other side of same pancake?
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:40 pm Thanks, I read the chapter. I have the Feynman lectures always ready to study. Fantastic teacher he must have been.

Yes, probability amplitude. Instead of "superposition" I came to like the simple word sum of wave amplitudes. Like 4 = 2+2, instead of 4 = "2 being in 2 places at the same time" nonsense.

What's in a word or a sentence... but part of the problem I have with QM is the language used to communicate it. Suggestive-of-things-neither-understood-nor-empirically proved.

Jesus' cave was empty, so what happened between crucifixion and resurrection remains a mystery; he might have been in two places at the same time! Unfortunately momentum and location have to be dismissed as reliable indicators of his present whereabouts. Of course he could be anywhere by now; maybe still entangled with the holy spirit, or his mind in another region of the multiverse, or even back in a superposition with God. Heaven: where all is in a superposition. Where we are God and God is us, all is entangled with everything. Indivisible Unity. Until symmetry is broken once again and things start to decohere with a big bang. The Fall…

In the meantime, a thought popped up. Why isn’t gravity simply one side of a pancake and expansion of the universe the other side of same pancake?
I would propose that quantum particles are solitons of a long lasting nature. They combine into packets of energy known as mass. When they have a clear path they take it. Otherwise when they come to a fork in the path they take it.

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

"The End of Space-Time" Or Space time and Quantum Mechanics are crazy, but not crazy enough to be real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL77oOnrPzY

GL77oOnrPzY
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W39kfrxOSHg

W39kfrxOSHg

The issue, in short, is and always was since Einstein and Bohr were discussing these things, what properties can or should be assigned to some particle-wave phenomena propagating through spacetime before it is measured.

A wavefunction that mathematically describes the probability distribution of measured outcomes, many (like Sabina Hossenfelder and it looks like Penrose agrees, or at least is “skeptical” definite statements can be made) consider a non-physical property: it is merely a mathematical reality which gives you zero information about the quantum object itself as it exists independent of the math and before it is measured.

Others are of the opinion that it is suggestive of properties that include the quantum object plus the environment in which it propagates and is measured. (QFT)

That all information about anything is always indirect; every successful explanatory framework is “incomplete” in certain ways.

Some have speculated that hidden variables could be present (if not locally then non-locally), others have concluded that because the probabilistic wave function completely and accurately predicts the range of measurement outcomes, probability itself must be a physical property, which arises also naturally from Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:21 am "The End of Space-Time" Or Space time and Quantum Mechanics are crazy, but not crazy enough to be real.

GL77oOnrPzY
Purely speculative bullsh*t.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:52 am
Parodite wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:40 pm Thanks, I read the chapter. I have the Feynman lectures always ready to study. Fantastic teacher he must have been.

I would propose that quantum particles are solitons of a long lasting nature. They combine into packets of energy known as mass. When they have a clear path they take it. Otherwise when they come to a fork in the path they take it.

Two points:

You're not the first. See, for example, https://academic.oup.com/ptp/article/58/3/1014/1908232
Solitons only arise, to the best of my knowledge, in non-linear theories. QM, RQM, and QFT are linear theories in the sense that the principle of superposition applies. No deviation have been observed by experiment.

Equations or it doesn't count.

_____

Most lay people have no idea how tightly constrained is any new physics theory by basic principles, such as symmetries, and experimental observations.

That's what makes it so challenging . . . and fun.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:12 am
Doc wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:21 am "The End of Space-Time" Or Space time and Quantum Mechanics are crazy, but not crazy enough to be real.

GL77oOnrPzY
Yeah I imagined as much. Though it is a seminar at Max Planck.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:41 am

GL77oOnrPzY
There's a lot of it going around.

To paraphrase Allen Ginsberg, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by supersymmetry, string theory, multiverses, etm."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:41 am
Doc wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:41 am

GL77oOnrPzY
There's a lot of it going around.

To paraphrase Allen Ginsberg, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by supersymmetry, string theory, multiverses, etm."
Yeah history is full of similar situations. In the Semiconductor industry you don't even have to be to waste your time. A research might work very long hours for year only to find the technology being developed has been made obsolete before it is even ready for market.
Otherwise it struck me a long time ago that if there were multiverses(not saying there are) they might all just be part of the same wave function as our universe.
Doc

Post by Doc »

A number so big ,if you held it your brain, your brain would collapse into a black hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IkaetPoBZM

_IkaetPoBZM
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Seems like the link is broken
This appears to be the correct URL

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang ... particles/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:35 pm
Seems like the link is broken
This appears to be the correct URL

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang ... particles/
Fixed. Thank you.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Siegel | The truth about wormholes and quantum computers

I find this business of hyper-hype rather depressing.
Doc

Post by Doc »

This is really Quasi ;p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le_ORQZzkmE

le_ORQZzkmE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Follow the evidence where ever it leads.

Certainly not endorsing everything said in the video but it makes me think just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF03FN37i5w

sF03FN37i5w
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I like Sheldrake for what and the way he does it. However.... (je m'excuse)... from the video I'm not convinced I should read his book since he doesn't have changed his mind on anything compared with ~ 25 years ago. The same daydreams about morphic resonance etc. Now he added "habits" to make reality appear ("feel") less mechanistic. Changing constants is fair play though. But it seems to me change can only be measured relative to some constant/zero axis.

On consciousness/mind he is as confused as the rest of them, trying to explain things backwards as usual. Despite his new-agey efforts to make physics taste less mechanical, he thinks exactly the same as any of the materialist die-hards he opposes or a creationist who believes in an intelligent creator: they are all and still are naive realists.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Sheldrake is trying to build a heuristic model around morphic resonance. Trying to put consciousness in a philosophical black box.

I don’t think he is looking for probative evidence. Simple supposition will suffice.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:10 pm Sheldrake is trying to build a heuristic model around morphic resonance. Trying to put consciousness in a philosophical black box.

I don’t think he is looking for probative evidence. Simple supposition will suffice.
While this guy has been hung up on "morphic resonance" during the last several decades, neuroscience and biophysics, in general, have made enormous progress.

Quanta Mag | When Does the Brain Operate at Peak Performance?
The critical brain hypothesis suggests that neural networks do their best work when connections are not too weak or too strong.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Requiem for a string: Charting the rise and fall of a theory of everything
String theory was supposed to explain all of [fundamental] physics. What went wrong?
This article, uncharacteristically, pulls no punches
Four years later, the Higgs was found. Supersymmetry was not. It’s now 15 years later, and there are still no signs of supersymmetry.

In fact, all the “easy” versions of supersymmetry have been ruled out, and many of the more complicated ones, too. The dearth of evidence has slaughtered so many members of the supersymmetric family that the whole idea is on very shaky ground, with physicists beginning to have conferences with titles like “Beyond Supersymmetry” and “Oh My God, I Think I Wasted My Career.”
stating the part that is not be be spoken out load.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 am Requiem for a string: Charting the rise and fall of a theory of everything
String theory was supposed to explain all of [fundamental] physics. What went wrong?
This article, uncharacteristically, pulls no punches
Four years later, the Higgs was found. Supersymmetry was not. It’s now 15 years later, and there are still no signs of supersymmetry.

In fact, all the “easy” versions of supersymmetry have been ruled out, and many of the more complicated ones, too. The dearth of evidence has slaughtered so many members of the supersymmetric family that the whole idea is on very shaky ground, with physicists beginning to have conferences with titles like “Beyond Supersymmetry” and “Oh My God, I Think I Wasted My Career.”
stating the part that is not be be spoken out load.
One question that bugs me that I have never seen anyone talk about After decoherence is there recoherence? IE does the wave function come back from collapse ? And if so how long does it take? And if it doesn't, does that mean our understanding of "wave particle duality" is very different than what is imagined by Schrodinger's cat?