Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:40 am My daughter is completely baffled by calculus. She’s not good at math and a poor prof.

Any resources y’all can recommend?
A "Russian Math" school if there is one in your area.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:01 pm
Doc wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:11 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:40 am My daughter is completely baffled by calculus. She’s not good at math and a poor prof.

Any resources y’all can recommend?
Tell her to do as many problems as possible. most text books have the answers in the back of the book to check against. There are also several Youtube videos that might help her.
They no longer use textbooks in college. Students are forced to pay access fees for online access that expires at the end of semester.
Do the have the work exercises and the answers in the online version? I say do the work exercises because i had a calculus professor that had rule that anyone that did all the exercises in the book that had the answers in the back would not fail. That seemed to work pretty well for the people that had a hard time with it. .

As far as the ebooks go the publishers are like the little french girl that sells her product but still has it. When my son was in school he had an online book that cost $750.00
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Starts with a Bang | What is the strongest material on Earth?
For millennia, diamonds were the hardest known material, but they only rank at #7 on the current list. Can you guess which material is #1?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

BT | Did Fermilab’s new result blow a hole in the Standard Model?
Fermilab's TeVatron just released the best mass measurement of the W-boson, ever. Here's what doesn't add up.
Ironically, I recently stated elsewhere that the field of fundamental high-energy particle physics [HEP] has gone from being the premier field to being moridbund within a generation.

Perhaps. Then again, perhaps not.

Is The CDF W Mass Measurement A Nail In The SM Coffin?
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... of-matter/
Information Could Be the Fifth State of Matter, Proving We Live in a Simulation

If true, this idea could even help us understand all of the dark matter in our universe.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-04-14/C ... index.html

Chinese scientists have realized the world's longest quantum secure direct communication (QSDC) of 100 kilometers

" quantum secure direct communication (QSDC) " can't be hacked .. nightmare for NSA
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:59 am .

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2022-04-14/C ... index.html

Chinese scientists have realized the world's longest quantum secure direct communication (QSDC) of 100 kilometers

" quantum secure direct communication (QSDC) " can't be hacked .. nightmare for NSA
Presumes that the US is not working on same. They are, as are other nations.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

This is the physics and mathematics thread.

Politics about tech goes elsewhere.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Albert Einstein explaining E=MC^2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecc8vfpm3C0

ecc8vfpm3C0
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

To build a larger particle collider or not to build a larger particle collider.

For.

Big Think | Can the new-and-improved Large Hadron Collider save particle physics?
The Standard Model may or may not be in trouble, but particle physics definitely needs saving. Here's what the new LHC can do.
Against.

Big Think | Please, don’t build another Large Hadron Collider
A next-generation LHC++ could cost $100 billion. Here's why such a machine could end up being a massive waste of money.
Backreaction | Did the W-boson just "break the standard model"?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 pm To build a larger particle collider or not to build a larger particle collider.

For.

Big Think | Can the new-and-improved Large Hadron Collider save particle physics?
The Standard Model may or may not be in trouble, but particle physics definitely needs saving. Here's what the new LHC can do.
Against.

Big Think | Please, don’t build another Large Hadron Collider
A next-generation LHC++ could cost $100 billion. Here's why such a machine could end up being a massive waste of money.
Backreaction | Did the W-boson just "break the standard model"?
Large atom smashers.... You can't live with them You can't live without them.

The real cost of not building the Super Collider in Texas was that so many particle physicists went to work on wall street to build fast trading and derivative algorithms. The only real benefit I can think of is that supercollider auto collision repair never got off the ground as well.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

American supercollider technology
https://youtu.be/7Evez3Q2GC0

7Evez3Q2GC0
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Physicists create ‘continuous time crystal’

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Re: Physicists create ‘continuous time crystal’

Post by Parodite »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:53 pm What is this?

https://scitechdaily.com/physicists-cre ... irst-time/
Idk, happy to let CS explain it to us. Sounds to me like for the first time they captured Schrodinger's cat both dead and alive, sealing the proof inside a crystal. To be observed and confirmed by... a very special guest. The decorum is to cohere or to decohere.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I had a time crystal once, but when I became used to my iPhone I quit wearing a watch.

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

CERN: SCIENCE? WE don't need no stinkin science.

Mock human sacrifice at Cern – video
They are now claiming it was a bad joke. They are correct.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://phys.org/news/2022-07-physicist ... ating.html
Physicists harness quantum 'time reversal' to measure vibrating atoms
by Jennifer Chu, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.livescience.com/fibonacci-m ... ns-of-time

Scientists blast atoms with Fibonacci laser to make an 'extra' dimension of time
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta | High-Temperature Superconductivity Understood at Last
A new atomic-scale experiment all but settles the origin of the strong form of superconductivity seen in cuprate crystals, confirming a 35-year-old theory.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://viralmvps.com/the-universe-is-n ... proved-it/
The Universe Is Not Locally Real, and the Physics Nobel Prize Winners Proved It
Viral MVPS
By
VIRAL MVPS
-

OCTOBER 6, 2022

One of many extra unsettling discoveries previously half century is that the universe shouldn’t be regionally actual. “Actual,” that means that objects have particular properties unbiased of statement—an apple may be pink even when nobody is trying; “native” means objects can solely be influenced by their environment, and that any affect can’t journey sooner than gentle. Investigations on the frontiers of quantum physics have discovered that this stuff can’t each be true. As a substitute, the proof reveals objects are not influenced solely by their environment they usually can also lack particular properties previous to measurement. As Albert Einstein famously bemoaned to a buddy, “Do you actually imagine the moon shouldn’t be there if you find yourself not taking a look at it?”

That is, in fact, deeply opposite to our on a regular basis experiences. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, the demise of native realism has made lots of people very offended and been extensively considered a foul transfer.

Blame for this achievement has now been laid squarely on the shoulders of three physicists: John Clauser, Alain Facet and Anton Zeilinger. They equally break up the 2022 Nobel Prize in Physics “for experiments with entangled photons, establishing the violation of Bell inequalities and pioneering quantum info science.” (“Bell inequalities” refers back to the pioneering work of the Northern Irish physicist John Stewart Bell, who laid the foundations for this 12 months’s Physics Nobel within the early Nineteen Sixties.) Colleagues agreed that the trio had it coming, deserving this reckoning for overthrowing actuality as we all know it. “It’s incredible information. It was lengthy overdue,” says Sandu Popescu, a quantum physicist on the College of Bristol. “With none doubt, the prize is well-deserved.”

“The experiments starting with the earliest certainly one of Clauser and persevering with alongside, present that these items isn’t simply philosophical, it’s actual—and like different actual issues, probably helpful,” says Charles Bennett, an eminent quantum researcher at IBM.

“Annually I believed, ‘oh, possibly that is the 12 months,’” says David Kaiser, a physicist and historian on the Massachusetts Institute of Expertise. “This 12 months, it actually was. It was very emotional—and really thrilling.”

Quantum foundations’ journey from fringe to favor was a protracted one. From about 1940 till as late as 1990, the subject was typically handled as philosophy at finest and crackpottery at worst. Many scientific journals refused to publish papers in quantum foundations, and tutorial positions indulging such investigations had been almost unattainable to come back by. In 1985, Popescu’s advisor warned him in opposition to a Ph.D. within the topic. “He mentioned ‘look, if you happen to do this, you’ll have enjoyable for 5 years, after which you can be jobless,’” Popescu says.

Right this moment, quantum info science is among the many most vibrant and impactful subfields in all of physics. It hyperlinks Einstein’s normal idea of relativity with quantum mechanics through the still-mysterious habits of black holes. It dictates the design and performance of quantum sensors, that are more and more getting used to check every little thing from earthquakes to darkish matter. And it clarifies the often-confusing nature of quantum entanglement, a phenomenon that’s pivotal to fashionable supplies science and that lies on the coronary heart of quantum computing.

“What even makes a quantum pc ‘quantum’?” Nicole Yunger Halpern, a Nationwide Institute of Requirements and Expertise physicist, asks rhetorically. “One of the standard solutions is entanglement, and the principle cause why we perceive entanglement is the grand work participated in by Bell and these Nobel Prize–winners. With out that understanding of entanglement, we most likely wouldn’t be capable to notice quantum computer systems.”

For Whom the Bell Tolls
The difficulty with quantum mechanics was by no means that it made the improper predictions—in truth, the idea described the microscopic world splendidly nicely proper from the beginning when physicists devised it within the opening many years of the twentieth century.

What Einstein, Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen took difficulty with, specified by their iconic 1935 paper, was the idea’s uncomfortable implications for actuality. Their evaluation, identified by their initials EPR, centered on a thought experiment meant as an instance the absurdity of quantum mechanics; to point out how beneath sure situations the idea can break—or a minimum of ship nonsensical outcomes that battle with every little thing else we find out about actuality. A simplified and modernized model of EPR goes one thing like this: Pairs of particles are despatched off in numerous instructions from a typical supply, focused for 2 observers, Alice and Bob, every stationed at reverse ends of the photo voltaic system. Quantum mechanics dictates that it’s unattainable to know the spin, a quantum property of particular person particles previous to measurement. When Alice measures certainly one of her particles, she finds its spin to be both up or down. Her outcomes are random, and but, when she measures up, she immediately is aware of Bob’s corresponding particle have to be down. At first look, this isn’t so odd; maybe the particles are like a pair of socks—if Alice will get the precise sock, Bob will need to have the left.

However beneath quantum mechanics, particles are not like socks, and solely when measured do they choose a spin of up or down. That is EPR’s key conundrum: If Alice’s particles lack a spin till measurement, how then once they whiz previous Neptune do they know what Bob’s particles will do as they fly out of the photo voltaic system within the different route? Every time Alice measures, she successfully quizzes her particle on what Bob will get if he flips a coin: up, or down? The percentages of accurately predicting this even 200 occasions in a row are 1 in 1060—a quantity larger than all of the atoms within the photo voltaic system. But regardless of the billions of kilometers that separate the particle pairs, quantum mechanics says Alice’s particles can preserve accurately predicting, as if they had been telepathically linked to Bob’s particles.

Though meant to disclose the imperfections of quantum mechanics, when real-world variations of the EPR thought experiment are carried out the outcomes as a substitute reinforce the idea’s most mind-boggling tenets. Below quantum mechanics, nature shouldn’t be regionally actual—particles lack properties corresponding to spin up or spin down previous to measurement, and seemingly speak to at least one one other regardless of the gap.

Physicists skeptical of quantum mechanics proposed that there have been “hidden variables,” components that existed in some imperceptible degree of actuality beneath the subatomic realm that contained details about a particle’s future state. They hoped in hidden-variable theories, nature may recuperate the native realism denied to it by quantum mechanics.

“One would have thought that the arguments of Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen would produce a revolution at that second, and all people would have began engaged on hidden variables,” Popescu says.

Einstein’s “assault” on quantum mechanics, nonetheless, didn’t catch on amongst physicists, who by and huge accepted quantum mechanics as is. This was typically much less a considerate embrace of nonlocal actuality, and extra a need to not assume too exhausting whereas doing physics—a head-in-the-sand sentiment later summarized by the physicist David Mermin as a requirement to “shut up and calculate.”

The dearth of curiosity was pushed partially as a result of John von Neumann, a extremely regarded scientist, had in 1932 printed a mathematical proof ruling out hidden-variable theories. (Von Neumann’s proof, it have to be mentioned, was refuted simply three years later by a younger feminine mathematician, Grete Hermann, however on the time nobody appeared to note.)

Quantum mechanics’ drawback of nonlocal realism would languish in a complacent stupor for one more three many years till being decisively shattered by Bell. From the beginning of his profession, Bell was bothered by the quantum orthodoxy and sympathetic towards hidden variable theories. Inspiration struck him in 1952, when he realized of a viable nonlocal hidden-variable interpretation of quantum mechanics devised by fellow physicist David Bohm—one thing von Neumann had claimed was unattainable. Bell mulled the concepts over for years, as a aspect mission to his principal job working as a particle physicist at CERN.

In 1964, Bell rediscovered the identical flaws in von Neumann’s argument that Hermann had. After which, in a triumph of rigorous pondering, Bell concocted a theorem that dragged the query of hidden variables from its metaphysical quagmire onto the concrete floor of experiment.

Usually, hidden-variable theories and quantum mechanics predict indistinguishable experimental outcomes. What Bell realized is that beneath exact circumstances, an empirical discrepancy between the 2 can emerge. Within the eponymous Bell check (an evolution of the EPR thought experiment), Alice and Bob obtain the identical paired particles, however now they every have two totally different detector settings—A and a, B and b. These detector settings enable Alice and Bob to ask the particles totally different questions; a further trick to throw off their obvious telepathy. In native hidden-variable theories, the place their state is preordained and nothing hyperlinks them, particles can’t outsmart this additional step, they usually can’t all the time obtain the right correlation the place Alice measures spin down when Bob measures spin up (and vice versa). However in quantum mechanics, particles stay linked and much more correlated than they may ever be in native hidden-variable theories. They’re, in a phrase, entangled.

Measuring the correlation a number of occasions for a lot of particle pairs, subsequently, may show which idea was right. If the correlation remained under a restrict derived from Bell’s theorem, this might recommend hidden variables had been actual; if it exceeded Bell’s restrict, then the mind-boggling tenets of quantum mechanics would reign supreme. And but, despite its potential to assist decide the very nature of actuality, after being printed in a comparatively obscure journal Bell’s theorem languished unnoticed for years.

The Bell Tolls for Thee
In 1967, John Clauser, then a graduate scholar at Columbia College, by accident stumbled throughout a library copy of Bell’s paper and have become enthralled by the potential of proving hidden-variable theories right. Clauser wrote to Bell two years later, asking if anybody had truly carried out the check. Clauser’s letter was among the many first suggestions Bell had obtained.

With Bell’s encouragement, 5 years later Clauser and his graduate scholar Stuart Freedman carried out the primary Bell check. Clauser had secured permission from his supervisors, however little in the best way of funds, so he turned, as he mentioned in a later interview, adept at “dumpster diving” to safe tools—a few of which he and Freedman then duct-taped collectively. In Clauser’s setup—a kayak-sized equipment requiring cautious tuning by hand—pairs of photons had been despatched in reverse instructions towards detectors that would measure their state, or polarization.

Sadly for Clauser and his infatuation with hidden variables, as soon as he and Freedman accomplished their evaluation, they may not assist however conclude that that they had discovered sturdy proof in opposition to them. Nonetheless, the consequence was hardly conclusive, due to varied “loopholes” within the experiment that conceivably may enable the affect of hidden variables to slide via undetected. Probably the most regarding of those was the locality loophole: if both the photon supply or the detectors may have one way or the other shared info (a believable feat throughout the confines of a kayak-sized object), the ensuing measured correlations may nonetheless emerge from hidden variables. As Kaiser places it pithily, if Alice tweets at Bob which detector setting she’s in, that interference makes ruling out hidden variables unattainable.

Closing the locality loophole is simpler mentioned than carried out. The detector setting have to be rapidly modified whereas photons are on the fly—“rapidly” that means in a matter of mere nanoseconds. In 1976, a younger French professional in optics, Alain Facet, proposed a manner for doing this ultra-speedy change. His group’s experimental outcomes, printed in 1982, solely bolstered Clauser’s outcomes: native hidden variables appeared extraordinarily unlikely. “Maybe Nature shouldn’t be so queer as quantum mechanics,” Bell wrote in response to Facet’s preliminary outcomes. “However the experimental scenario shouldn’t be very encouraging from this viewpoint.”

Different loopholes, nonetheless, nonetheless remained—and, alas, Bell died in 1990 with out witnessing their closure. Even Facet’s experiment had not absolutely dominated out native results as a result of it happened over too small a distance. Equally, as Clauser and others had realized, if Alice and Bob weren’t ensured to detect an unbiased consultant pattern of particles, they may attain the improper conclusions.

Nobody pounced to shut these loopholes with extra gusto than Anton Zeilinger, an bold, gregarious Austrian physicist. In 1998, he and his group improved on Facet’s earlier work by conducting a Bell check over a then-unprecedented distance of almost half a kilometer. The period of divining actuality’s nonlocality from kayak-sized experiments had drawn to an in depth. Lastly, in 2013, Zeilinger’s group took the subsequent logical step, tackling a number of loopholes on the identical time.

“Earlier than quantum mechanics, I truly was inquisitive about engineering. I like constructing issues with my palms,” says Marissa Giustina, a quantum researcher at Google who labored with Zeilinger. “Looking back, a loophole-free Bell experiment is a big systems-engineering mission.” One requirement for creating an experiment closing a number of loopholes was discovering a superbly straight, unoccupied 60-meter tunnel with entry to fiber optic cables. Because it turned out, the dungeon of Vienna’s Hofburg palace was an nearly supreme setting—except for being caked with a century’s price of mud. Their outcomes, printed in 2015, coincided with comparable assessments from two different teams that additionally discovered quantum mechanics as flawless as ever.

Bell’s Check Reaches the Stars
One nice last loophole remained to be closed, or a minimum of narrowed. Any prior bodily connection between parts, regardless of how distant previously, has the potential of interfering with the validity of a Bell check’s outcomes. If Alice shakes Bob’s hand previous to departing on a spaceship, they share a previous. It’s seemingly implausible {that a} native hidden-variable idea would exploit these loopholes, however nonetheless doable.

In 2017, a group together with Kaiser and Zeilinger carried out a cosmic Bell check. Utilizing telescopes within the Canary Islands, the group sourced its random choices for detector settings from stars sufficiently far aside within the sky that gentle from one wouldn’t attain the opposite for a whole bunch of years, making certain a centuries-spanning hole of their shared cosmic previous. But even then, quantum mechanics once more proved triumphant.

One of many principal difficulties in explaining the significance of Bell assessments to the general public—in addition to to skeptical physicists—is the notion that the veracity of quantum mechanics was a foregone conclusion. In spite of everything, researchers have measured many key points of quantum mechanics to a precision of larger than 10 elements in a billion. “I truly didn’t wish to work on it. I believed, like, ‘Come on; that is outdated physics. Everyone knows what’s going to occur,’” Giustina says. However the accuracy of quantum mechanics couldn’t rule out the potential of native hidden variables; solely Bell assessments may do this.

“What drew every of those Nobel recipients to the subject, and what drew John Bell himself, to the subject was certainly [the question], ‘Can the world work that manner?’” Kaiser says. “And the way do we actually know with confidence?” What Bell assessments enable physicists to do is take away the bias of anthropocentric aesthetic judgments from the equation; purging from their work the elements of human cognition that recoil at the potential of eerily inexplicable entanglement, or that scoff at hidden-variable theories as simply extra debates over what number of angels might dance on the top of a pin. The award honors Clauser, Facet and Zeilinger, however it’s testomony to all of the researchers who had been unhappy with superficial explanations about quantum mechanics, and who requested their questions even when doing so was unpopular.

“Bell assessments,” Giustina concludes, “are a really helpful manner of taking a look at actuality.”
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I predict a complete failure of quantum computing. Until the technology is proven to work with real calculations done.

The terrible possibility that entanglement, superposition, eigenstates.. are not physically real in the way they are usually understood. I think Niels Bohr himself warned not make claims about the state of a system independent of measurement. And Einstein had his own reasons for claiming quantum mechanics is incomplete. It appears nobody took these warnings of the two Giants of physics seriously.

Quantum computing is a rogue quasi technology of type: holy ghost squared by the inverse of Maria gives a Jesus during measurement. That is: one in every 7 measurements. In the other 6 cases you get ordinary babies or latter day saints. Or maybe Jesus collapsed in the cross and his hole life turned out to be a superposition of various possibilities, included a groundstate=0 and never really happened. Not a rush to quantum gold, just a rush to get more money to waste on a fiction.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:56 pm I predict a complete failure of quantum computing. Until the technology is proven to work with real calculations done.

The terrible possibility that entanglement, superposition, eigenstates.. are not physically real in the way they are usually understood. I think Niels Bohr himself warned not make claims about the state of a system independent of measurement. And Einstein had his own reasons for claiming quantum mechanics is incomplete. It appears nobody took these warnings of the two Giants of physics seriously.

Quantum computing is a rogue quasi technology of type: holy ghost squared by the inverse of Maria gives a Jesus during measurement. That is: one in every 7 measurements. In the other 6 cases you get ordinary babies or latter day saints. Or maybe Jesus collapsed in the cross and his hole life turned out to be a superposition of various possibilities, included a groundstate=0 and never really happened. Not a rush to quantum gold, just a rush to get more money to waste on a fiction.
Google the UK and China have had successes with Quantum computers.

I have another idea about the nature of quantum reality. Probably, in all likelihood, nothing but a bonehead idea. I need to think about it some more. Gives me something to do in my spare time anyway. :D
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Doc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:16 am Google the UK and China have had successes with Quantum computers.

I have another idea about the nature of quantum reality. Probably, in all likelihood, nothing but a bonehead idea. I need to think about it some more. Gives me something to do in my spare time anyway. :D
Cool, looking forward to it. :)

As for q computing, I find hard to believe I could be right as it would mean thousands of people way better educated on qm than me are wrong. But I have zero skin the game and like keep it that way :D

I only found that engineers succeeded keeping a number of "q-bits" in a "superposition" at near zero Kelvin or using photon technology. But keeping something in a superposition only means it exists-persists in a blackbox where the wave function has not "collapsed" yet. To extract real calculations is a next phase and has not been achieved, as far as I can tell but could be wrong.

The point is that the physical state of "superposition" is assumed to be real/understood.The good news is that the effort to make quantum computing a reality can therefore also be understood as a test to see if superposition is something real, or a mere theoretical artefact. I would put my money on the latter.

My amateur level guesswork about qm is that the concept of wave-particle duality is useless. It seems to me that all is waves and fields, where a particle is a specific stable interference pattern. I suspect "superposition" and probablity are superstitions that arise in the particle-church. I'm from the wave-church for now.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:27 pm
Doc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:16 am Google the UK and China have had successes with Quantum computers.

Cool, looking forward to it. :)

As for q computing, I find hard to believe I could be right as it would mean thousands of people way better educated on qm than me are wrong. But I have zero skin the game and like keep it that way :D

I only found that engineers succeeded keeping a number of "q-bits" in a "superposition" at near zero Kelvin or using photon technology. But keeping something in a superposition only means it exists-persists in a blackbox where the wave function has not "collapsed" yet. To extract real calculations is a next phase and has not been achieved, as far as I can tell but could be wrong.

The point is that the physical state of "superposition" is assumed to be real/understood.The good news is that the effort to make quantum computing a reality can therefore also be understood as a test to see if superposition is something real, or a mere theoretical artefact. I would put my money on the latter.

My amateur level guesswork about qm is that the concept of wave-particle duality is useless. It seems to me that all is waves and fields, where a particle is a specific stable interference pattern. I suspect "superposition" and probablity are superstitions that arise in the particle-church. I'm from the wave-church for now.
I am just learning as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ3bPUKo5zc

lZ3bPUKo5zc

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/8-04-quantu ... ring-2013/