Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Re: Microaggressions, trigger warnings, and emotional reasoning

Post by Typhoon »

Mises | What's with the Rich Kid Revolutionaries?

History rhyming.

In the 1970's, the left wing terrorist organizations typically originated in the universities and many, if not most, of the members were from the privileged bourgeoisie. Organizations such as the Italian Red Brigade, the German Baader Meinhof group, the American Weather Underground, and the Japanese Red Army. All of whom claimed to be engaging in revolutionary action on behalf of the proletariat.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:11 am Mises | What's with the Rich Kid Revolutionaries?

History rhyming.

In the 1970's, the left wing terrorist organizations typically originated in the universities and many, if not most, of the members were from the privileged bourgeoisie. Organizations such as the Italian Red Brigade, the German Baader Meinhof group, the American Weather Underground, and the Japanese Red Army. All of whom claimed to be engaging in revolutionary action on behalf of the proletariat.
"In Taibbi’s words “this is a 288-page book written by a Very Online Person in support of the idea that other people should loot, riot, and burn things in the real world.”

Excellent article CS. thanks for posting.

Seems like non-POC's are rioting because, as people of privilege, they have lost the cultural chicness of belonging to an oppressed group identity. If that does not feed the internal existential "I'm not special" threat monster of a 20-30 something stuck in their teenage mindset, nothing will.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:55 am
Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:11 am Mises | What's with the Rich Kid Revolutionaries?

History rhyming.

"In Taibbi’s words “this is a 288-page book written by a Very Online Person in support of the idea that other people should loot, riot, and burn things in the real world.”

Excellent article CS. thanks for posting.

Seems like non-POC's are rioting because, as people of privilege, they have lost the cultural chicness of belonging to an oppressed group identity. If that does not feed the internal existential "I'm not special" threat monster of a 20-30 something stuck in their teenage mindset, nothing will.
More rhyming history. The pre-Revolution Russian so-called intelligentsia.
In late Imperial Russia, liberals refused to criticize radicals on their left, even though those violent radicals were clearly intending to destroy what liberals ostensibly valued. . . . Morson writes:
Not just lawyers, teachers, doctors, and engineers, but even industrialists and bank directors raised money for the terrorists. Doing so signaled advanced opinion and good manners. A quote attributed to Lenin—“When we are ready to kill the capitalists, they will sell us the rope”—would have been more accurately rendered as: “They will buy us the rope and hire us to use it on them.” True to their word, when the Bolsheviks gained control, their organ of terror, the Cheka, “liquidated” members of all opposing parties, beginning with the Kadets. Why didn’t the liberals and businessmen see it coming?
Indeed, why is it today that some enlightened liberals regard rioters and looters as sympathetic figures? Morson’s remarks about the Russians shed light on the question.
American Conservative | Swallowing the "Pill of Murti-Bing"
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

What sticks out to me immediately is that she puts forward her most flattering photo-- good lighting, make-up/grooming well done; megawatt smile. It looks like to me that it is cropped just enough for one to tell a taller man is standing next to her and she has has her arm raised towards him or is positioning her body towards him.

It's a social media profile pic. One which is multi-purpose as it wouldn't look out of place from professional networking to dating sites.

That photo wasn't chosen arbitrarily; nor is it trying to convey something like the ol'Spengler message of the beautiful doesn't always equal the good.

It's a very typical "look how awesome I am" pic that millions of people aim for when picking these sorts of photos.

---------

So, it's the perfect opportunity for some jack@ss to ask her if she's signally that being a white supremacist= being young and awesome...and push it slightly from there until the meltdown. :D

---------

Really brings out how much of this is people making themselves the center of attention.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:29 am
I think noddy noted it better than anyone else.

White = racist by genetics, nothing you can do about it, might as well not bother trying to appease anyone who is miserable.

Very Liberating actually, this white privilege stuff.

Vaguely reminiscent of Original Sin, but with no Savior present or prescribed.

Unless of course, one includes going to college and studying something real.