Cryptozoology

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Cryptozoology

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

And the rise of the cellphone cameras perfectly coincides with an ever increasing perfection of video-fakery.

So who can trust video anymore?
noddy

Post by noddy »

only for professionals with access to movie quality VFX gear - advertising agencies are the poster children for that.

currently the consumer level cellphone ability has apparently lowered the alien/cryptid claim count.

i should dig and confirm that i spose.

----
nope. https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/43707 ... otherwise/

still, its harder to get belief in those claims without pictures/video now.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Speaking of film footage:

usNW2WW6rbw
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:only for professionals with access to movie quality VFX gear - advertising agencies are the poster children for that.

currently the consumer level cellphone ability has apparently lowered the alien/cryptid claim count.

i should dig and confirm that i spose.

----
nope. https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/43707 ... otherwise/

still, its harder to get belief in those claims without pictures/video now.
I think it says more about us than anything to do with the subject. We're not as impressed with the technology as we used to be. And so the audience pool becomes much, much smaller- a mixed multitude of people interested in the subject, the mystery-quester types and the nuts&delusional crowd (with some natural overlap between the three).

Without a fad to tip the scales a bit- the amount of people who care about these things eliminates 99% of the population.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Beyond cell phones is that hunters and other naturalists have flooded the woods with trail cams and drones. There have been significant finds of animals living where they weren't believed to be (normally wolverines and the like, nothing sexy).

But no squatch or werewolves.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

and that.

australia recently did have a species thought extinct for over a century make a comeback but it was small and camouflaged and only came out at night.

a grass colored nocturnal parrot which lives in the grasss, in the scrublands near the desert - a prime candidate for beating all the aforementioned modern forces - even then a naturalist managed to catch one on camera whilst looking for something else.

perhaps another reason for my inherit scepticism of bigfoot/squatch is we have them aswell - the bunyip and yowie - however they are firmly in the mythological tales from aboriginals and old itinerants and their is no real body of people who believe otherwise.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
their is a meme somewhere about how the rise in cellphone camera/videos has sucked the life out of the alien and cryptid market because "pictures or it didnt happen" is the new attitude :)
agreed. modern tech even makes pictures or video suspect. reality? whose?

I have probably read 20 books or so on the various forms of Bigfoot since childhood. as entertainment, not as a religious belief. "researcher's" "theories" range from ancient species of ape to human species to alien. Native American beliefs are interesting, "oh, yeah, everyone knows they are out there.... except white people. those fools."

granted like ancient aliens or ufologists, 90% of what Bigfoot True Believers present is hype and hokum. but the other 10% remains. the serious researchers just present data without speculation. as always the human reaction to any information presented is interesting and reveals more about the observer than the presenter. knowledge is not needed to form opinions.

reminds me of my AGW believing friends, ask them if they have ever used a thermometer that measures temperature to 0.1 degree to try to measure the temperature inside their house, and they look at you like that is irrelevant to "scientists" measuring the temp of the Earth to 0.1 degree.

also similar to Hilary vs. Trump in 2016. experts say "it can't happen." prior to the election, 40% of the calls to talk radio shows were common travelers who said based on lawn signs and bumper stickers "I think Trump is going to win."

I don't expect proof of Bigfoot to ever be presented or accepted, but if it ever is, I would not be surprised. sometimes opinions depend upon which sources one reads. some sources make one wonder, other sources make one doubt.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue May 29, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

New species are continuously being discovered.

2018 ESF Top 10 New Species

Crytozoology makes for entertaining myths, but I find it far less interesting.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

an interesting experiment would be to drop 1,000's of smart phones into Bigfoot sighting hotspots and see if they start posting selfies or blogging.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

That is really thinking outside the box.
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If one reads the Bigfoot info supplied by Native Americans, they claim Sasquatch is a rouge tribe of Indians.

Maybe I could make a nice paycheck by claiming discrimination cause Native Americans are being denied internet access.

White people are so racist. If they ain't putting you down, they're denying you exist!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:That is really thinking outside the box.
there's two types of people out there, problem solvers and reality deniers...... :P

If you have the time, I'd love to hear a few details of your brother's best friend's sighting. time of day, time of year, location, distance, size, what the creature was doing, what your brother's best friend was doing, was he a believer prior to the sighting, etc.

In related crypto-news some claim POTUS is neither establishment republican or democrat..... but a new species of politician..... perhaps even an evolutionary mutant leap..... ;)
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

For SM.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti ... 54154.html
Lawrenceburg

Bigfoot didn’t show up in downtown Lawrenceburg Saturday, unless you count the guy in the hairy suit, but a lot of Bigfoot believers did.

The city hosted the inaugural Wildman Days festival this weekend, focused on the creature — also called Sasquatch and other names — that some say isn’t real but others believe in with a passion.

Count among the believers Daniel Lee Smith, a retired coal miner who drove more than five hours from Elkins, W.V., to attend the festival.

Smith, whose father called him Daniel Boone because he stayed in the woods so much as a kid, said he has seen a Sasquatch several times, heard them growl and whoop, and even had rocks thrown at him by a creature to warn him to stay clear.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/arti ... rylink=cpy
HOZ39XDmBl0
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Thanks Mr. P.

My kind of people. Salt of the Earth.

Not to mention they have more credibility than those "experts" who claimed Hilary would win the POTUS election in 2016. ;)

Hmmm six degrees of Kevin Bacon...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degre ... evin_Bacon

yet there is only three degrees of separation from you to Bigfoot. :P

Kinda tells ya sumthin.....

So tell me about your brother's friend's sighting.... Was he a doubter before his sighting? Or was he like a religious person who really wanted to believe, then one day he found validation?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote:T
Not to mention they have more credibility than those "experts" who claimed Hilary would win the POTUS election in 2016. ;)
:D :D :D :D

you are right about that.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: So tell me about your brother's friend's sighting.... Was he a doubter before his sighting? Or was he like a religious person who really wanted to believe, then one day he found validation?
My older brother had a best friend. Still best friends, kind of, they stay in touch.

He was maybe 10, and we all lived in the forest, and one day, don't know time of day, time of year, but the story was that he was out in a horse pasture and bigfoot ran through it. Maybe a 3 second encounter.

Now, he could have been making up a story as a kid but last time I heard he still sticks to it. I just emailed my brother to know if he has any details.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

A stranger story by far, is when I was in my early 20's I was kicking around with some crew from college and I ran into some people that knew me as a small child at a social gathering. More importantly they were friends of my parents, we lived in this town until I was about 4 then moved to the next county, but they knew us from that first town.

So I'm in my early 20's, have no recollection of these people and they start talking about my parents. Then after several minutes they started to talk about a bigfoot experience they had. They were in a cabin in the woods and pinned in by bigfoot that were throwing rocks and trees and screaming at them for maybe 2 days. They said they didn't feel threatened but just didn't want to escalate so they laid low. It was a husband and wife corroborating the story, and I never asked them to tell it to me.

I was in my early 20's so I didn't know what to make of it, there was no internet or anything, so it was just a weird story. I'm sure you remember urban legends, before they were called that.

10 years later it occurred to me to ask my parents if they knew these people, see if they were weirdos or whatever. They didn't know who I was talking about. So it was lost to the ether.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Cool story Mr. P. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the Ape Canyon story.

Listed here: http://www.bigfootencounters.com/classics/beck.htm

If anyone asks, I tell them I think Bigfoot does exist..... based on what I have read. Of course, most disagree, and state that I am nuts, to which I usually reply "Of course you do, you have not read what I have read."

Of course odds are against Bigfoot existing, but tens of thousands of sightings over centuries...... sure they could all be nuts, but that belief takes a lot of the mystery out of life. Same with belief in God, or in aliens visiting Earth.

I think it says more about the individual's comfort zone than about facts or science.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Personally I don't believe, but if one was found tomorrow I would not be surprised. Tbh if I had a sighting I would not tell anyone because I would not expect them to believe me.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

The fungus is humongous......'>.......

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141114 ... -the-world

But really, isn't this bending the concept of what an organism is?...........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Personally I don't believe, but if one was found tomorrow I would not be surprised. Tbh if I had a sighting I would not tell anyone because I would not expect them to believe me.
Perfectly understandable. That is probably also the mindset of many people who have had a religious epiphany. You are trying to explain the concept of color to a blind person.

If I had a sighting, I would view it as a privilege, my own special gift, and probably not share it with more than a handful of close friends. Like so many other aspects of life, it would be like trying to share a sunset, or the joy of interacting with nature or an animal with one who does not appreciate sunsets, nature, or animals. Makes one wonder if the real number of sightings is 5, 10, 100, times or more than the reported number of sightings.

The habituation tales come to mind. The mother sees them, the kids interact with them, and the father refuses to look because there is nothing to see. Meanwhile, some neighbors are cool with it, some are scared, and everyone refuses to talk about it.

Then there is the property management aspect of it. Seeing a Bigfoot on your property (farm, logging property, mine, etc) and reporting it, or even worse, proving it exists, would probably result in the complete loss of your right to use your property as you see fit. It would be worse than finding a spotted owl's nest on your proposed home site. Damn shame, this used to be your personal quiet spot where you could commune with nature.

It is much like the number of times a gun is used to stop a crime or an assault. Some say dozens of times more than reported, simply due to ease of avoiding the hassle/stigma/legal repercussions by simply not reporting the crime.

That is the sad/amusing/wonderful aspect of humans IMSMO, the filters we employ, both consciously and unconsciously, and our ability to form opinions, even in the absence of knowledge. We can be our own best friends or our own worst enemies.
Mr. Perfect

Re: The fungus is humongous......'>.......

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Image

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141114 ... -the-world

But really, isn't this bending the concept of what an organism is?...........
I attend mycology conferences almost monthly and we basically know nothing about fungus.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

That's scary to think that a relatively simple organism could be part of the infrastructure of our environment, if not our being.....'>........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Exploring the oceans depths
What will we find in the twilight zone: the vast, mysterious, virtually unexplored realm hundreds of meters below the ocean's surface? Heidi M. Sosik of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution wants to find out. In this wonder-filled talk, she shares her plan to investigate these uncharted waters, which may hold a million new species and 90 percent of the world's fish biomass, using submersible technology.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.