Cryptozoology

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Simple Minded

Re: Cryptozoology

Post by Simple Minded »

The only way to prove Bigfoot exists to most people these days will be if he posts a micro-aggression on social media and gets cancelled.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 am Yeah that 10% does make one wonder- wonder why nothing about these stories track with what we know about monkey-creatures or large mammals or ecosystems... :)
:D Get off the junk food diet Bro! You're addicted to the 90% True Believer Chem Cocktail!

Me thinks you know a lot less of about all of the above than you think. ;)

I understand your fear! Start thinking Bigfoot exists, and you'll be accused of Cultural Appropriation.... :P

"Stay in the White Lane Paleface!!!!!"
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

You're hung up on this knowing/belief aspect that I'm just not getting.

It doesn't matter what I know, or anyone's opinion of what I know, much including my own...

there are certain rules to how we describe creatures-- and bigfoot neither fits those rules nor the exceptions to the rules we all agree upon.

The right response to "I saw bigfoot" isn't "I believe/don't believe you"

It's "Now what do you mean by that?"

It's exactly like levitation- millions of accounts of levitation, but even if I saw someone levitate right in front of me-- it's something I couldn't speak towards because it fits none of our regular experience. The rules exclude it well beforehand-- (if they didn't, they would be unworkable; ) and it would be something in need of new rules.
NapLajoieonSteroids

In western scotland, people still meet fairies and leave out saucers for them to avoid more unchancy encounters. No one believes in any of it of course. Way too much ridicule would be involved if they did.

But not every encounter is from someone with a health issue or a fabulist.

While those people may be believable and sincere, it doesn't follow that there is enough to understand what they are trying to relate.

edit: let me change that a bit-- the ritual part of it has a sensibility to it while the encounter is all absence. Maybe some private thing of some type no one can really speak upon or about.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megafauna

many of these mythical creatures only went extinct 1 - 10 thousand years ago, which is well within our cultural story memories.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

the other aspect to giant mystical creatures is how much bigger we have gotten ourselves in the last century.

When ive been to colonial museums, the clothing collections are comically small, like school childrens, the english army was populated by protein deficient midgets, barely 5ft.

see how tiny we got as we changed from meat eating hunter gatherers into feeble grain eating vegetablarian farmers , then how that reverses as industrial meat farming comes into being.

large eagles to this day - not including the recently extinct mega eagles - can carry off sheep , a skinny 4ft something human is the same size.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Looking at a wall of armor for the English kings was striking because of how apparently teeny-tiny they all were, with the exception of the armor worn by a young Henry the VIII, whose build wouldn't have stood out next to a modern, athletic man.

-----------------

I don't know what it's like in the South Pacific with the indigenous population; but some of the South American indios who've migrated here have the same meatless tiny-ness.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Anecdotally, Japanese high schools kids seem to have gotten taller [and fatter] over the last several decades.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

The perfect meme:

I'll just sneak one more in here for us boutique sized guys :D :

Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 am
I don't know what it's like in the South Pacific with the indigenous population; but some of the South American indios who've migrated here have the same meatless tiny-ness.

the pacific islanders are shockingly protein deficient and short/small because of it.

these figures are skewed by the coastal tribes being much healthier due to access to fresh fish - the mountain people are really small and wiry.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:31 am The perfect meme:

https://pics.me.me/6ft-511-get-dunked-on-32146910.png

I'll just sneak one more in here for us boutique sized guys :D :

https://i.redd.it/mtkjix8k6hq01.jpg
*) banging my head on shop displays setup by midget women.
*) yoga contortions to use public transport or airplanes, followed by cramps and pins and needles due to lack of movement.

and now that ive got fat.

*) feet are a very long way away.

im only 6 ft 2 and 240 pounds, I cant imagine how it is for those big basketballer/footballer types.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I find interesting reports of late sightings of extinct, or thought extinct, species.

I know the Moa was thought spotted relatively recently

but the 1880 Alice Mackenzie sighting has a bit more likelihood, however slender.

And she could very well fall under that category of "witness to the last member of a species"
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, those are huge over here - bunyip/yowie excitement never really caught on but we have so many recent extinctions, they are prone to bigfoot type manias.

the biggest of those is the tasmanian tiger - the thylacine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... n/13186806

again, it has plausible deniability as the west coast of tasmania is a truly hostile environment for humans, yet it also has many decades of keen people trying to find them, without a tiny bit of evidence.

in my state, the ornitholigists go wild for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_parrot .. a bird that barely exists, but they do have recent footage of.

its related to that famous new zealand nearly-extinct parrot, that raped the presenters head.

9T1vfsHYiKY
Last edited by noddy on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

we also have quite the mania for big cats - possibly evolved from feral housecats - with many reports of panthers

https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... 7a3ef061b9
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:00 am You're hung up on this knowing/belief aspect that I'm just not getting.

It doesn't matter what I know, or anyone's opinion of what I know, much including my own...

there are certain rules to how we describe creatures-- and bigfoot neither fits those rules nor the exceptions to the rules we all agree upon.

The right response to "I saw bigfoot" isn't "I believe/don't believe you"

It's "Now what do you mean by that?"

It's exactly like levitation- millions of accounts of levitation, but even if I saw someone levitate right in front of me-- it's something I couldn't speak towards because it fits none of our regular experience. The rules exclude it well beforehand-- (if they didn't, they would be unworkable; ) and it would be something in need of new rules.
My points exactly. You're stuck on it's beyond your ken, and "I (Napster) have no relevant knowledge in my database, therefore, no how, no way!"

Which is why, the people who see one say it is a life changing event (assuming, big word, they're not delusional or lying)! Some never go into the woods again. Mental breakdown that cause one to abandon recreation they have enjoyed for decades? Very well could be!

Pacific North West Native Americans claim they have existed for centuries and still do.
White Man: "No way no how!"
PNWNA: "That's why we don't bother to talk to you people."

Some people claim there are flying mammals out there who survive by eating hundreds of flying insects daily that they pluck out of the air in mid-flight, even though they are BLIND! That's insane! No one with half a brain would believe that crap!!!

I've given you the names of 3 researchers (who I have found interesting and credible, 2 IIRC have PhD's in Anthropology) that have researched the matter. If you have no interest, that's fine. I'm not interested enough in "converting you" to take the time to download what I have read. Especially when I know it does not meet the scientific standard of "proof."

On the other side of the coin, you and noddy both claim that video games today are far more sophisticated than Pac Man and Space Invaders. Yeah, right! :P

Cool stuff to argue for sure.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:17 am In western scotland, people still meet fairies and leave out saucers for them to avoid more unchancy encounters. No one believes in any of it of course. Way too much ridicule would be involved if they did.

But not every encounter is from someone with a health issue or a fabulist.

While those people may be believable and sincere, it doesn't follow that there is enough to understand what they are trying to relate.

edit: let me change that a bit-- the ritual part of it has a sensibility to it while the encounter is all absence. Maybe some private thing of some type no one can really speak upon or about.
That's a good analogy.

The Evangelist might start a sermon with "Have you heard the word of god lately?" But if the reply is "Yeah, of course, we had breakfast together this morning at the diner." there is going to be an unexpected conversation (conversion?).
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:27 am we also have quite the mania for big cats - possibly evolved from feral housecats - with many reports of panthers

Officially, mountain lions don't exist in VA and NC. But I know people who have seen them and took pictures.

I had a run in with what I think was a Bobcat or a Lynx at a distance of about 5 feet. But there was just enough ground cover there that I could not make a positive ID. He ws not happy about the close proximity, and make it clear I shouldn't try to pull back any branches to get a better look.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If you can't get behind the science, you should at least get behind the Social Justice Zeitgeist...

Bigfoot Lives Matter!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:52 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megafauna

many of these mythical creatures only went extinct 1 - 10 thousand years ago, which is well within our cultural story memories.
That is entirely possible. Hear enough warnings as kid about "Don't venture too far away from the campfire...." and your subconsciousness might continue working on the program without your conscious knowledge.

https://coolinterestingstuff.com/the-my ... odon-photo

These photos of course can be easily faked, but still entertaining.
Attachments
tbird3.jpg
tbird3.jpg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
tbird2.jpg
tbird2.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
tbird1.jpg
tbird1.jpg (64.5 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:27 am we also have quite the mania for big cats - possibly evolved from feral housecats - with many reports of panthers

Officially, mountain lions don't exist in VA and NC. But I know people who have seen them and took pictures.

I had a run in with what I think was a Bobcat or a Lynx at a distance of about 5 feet. But there was just enough ground cover there that I could not make a positive ID. He ws not happy about the close proximity, and make it clear I shouldn't try to pull back any branches to get a better look.
yeh, thats the funny part of the deadly australia meme - you guys and africa have real dangerous animals - or atleast used too ... depending on area.

we have red wolves (dingoes) but they are only as dangerous as domesticated dogs - sometimes you bump into an ugly one, the rest are fairly relaxed.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

I wont believe in bigfoot until one goes on a meth head rage through a small country town.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 5549bd61eb
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:10 am I wont believe in bigfoot until one goes on a meth head rage through a small country town.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 5549bd61eb
Black Bear?!?! That's RACIST!!!

The version I heard was after a Crips vs. Blood type turf was, the victorious Bigfoots decided to make an example of the bear who tried selling drugs in their neighborhood.

The real moral of the story is sometimes, even when you dress for success, it doesn't work out.

"The 40-year-old was carrying thousands in cash and two pistols, and he was wearing night vision goggles, a bulletproof vest, and Gucci loafers."

Even Napster knows that when you head out to the rough country, you should wear Gucci hiking boots, not loafers!
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:40 am I cant imagine how it is for those big basketballer/footballer types.
RfeVPxdSwaM

-----------------------------------------------

For men and land beasts alike, at certain sizes one just doesn't hide very well, isn't built to hide nor into the environment.

Plus, humans have a long track record of finding giant land beasts and driving them to extinction. We do not like the competition.

I think half the obsession with cloning the Wooly Mammoth is some sort of shadowy subconscious cultural memory thing of how much fun it was to hunt them down to begin with that we'd like an encore. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

May have been said in the article noddy posted, but if the Tasmanian Tiger were still around, one of them would've ended up as roadkill at some point.

I'm not too worried about that one though, that's high up on the list of creatures who will be cloned, along with the Wooly Mammoth.
NapLajoieonSteroids

There was a cryptid predator finally found in the 1980s-- the Kellas Cat:
The Kellas cat is a large black cat found in Scotland. It is an interspecific hybrid between the Scottish wildcat (Felis silvestris silvestris syn. Felis silvestris grampia) and the domestic cat (Felis catus). Once thought to be a mythological wild cat, with its few sightings dismissed as hoaxes, a specimen was killed in a snare by a gamekeeper in 1984[1][2] and found to be a hybrid between the Scottish wildcat and domestic cat.[3] It is not a formal cat breed, but a landrace of felid hybrids. It is named after the village of Kellas, Moray, where it was first found. The purported first live cat was caught by the Tomorrows World team and featured in the 1986 programme 'On the Trail of the Big Cat'.[citation needed]. The historian Charles Thomas speculated that the Pictish stone at Golspie may depict a Kellas cat.[4] The Golspie stone, now held at the Dunrobin Castle Museum, shows a cat-like creature standing on top of a salmon which may allude to the characteristics ascribed to a Kellas cat of catching fish while swimming in the river.[5]

A researcher at the National Museum of Scotland examined eight Kellas cat specimens.[5] One carcass was already in the Museum's collection; the remaining seven were supplied by Di Francis,[6] who is described by Thomas as a "writer, researcher and practical naturalist".[5] He identified one of the animals as a melanistic wildcat;[5] this juvenile male was the first wildcat ever documented as melanistic in Scotland.[7] Most of the other specimens examined were concluded to be hybrids but more closely aligned to the Scottish wildcat; only one hybrid leaned more towards a domestic cat.[7]

The Kellas cat is described as being twenty-four to thirty-six inches (61 to 91 cm) long, with powerful and long hind legs and a tail that can grow to be around twelve inches (30 cm) long; its weight ranges from five to fifteen pounds (2.3 to 6.8 kg).[citation needed] The animal snared in 1984 was fifteen inches (38 cm) to shoulder height and forty-three inches (110 cm) in length.[8] A specimen is kept in a museum in Elgin.[9] The Zoology Museum of the University of Aberdeen also holds a mounted specimen that was found during 2002 in the Insch area of Aberdeenshire.[10][11]
Of course, it's a lot easier to overlook when it doesn't look all that different from the rest of the cats.