Cryptozoology

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
noddy

Re: Cryptozoology

Post by noddy »

After proclaiming Bigfoot a non topic in Australia and delegating it to bunyip and yowie myths, i discover from a secondary inlaw that its alive and kicking in certain circles.

https://thefortean.com/2018/07/21/the-n ... rom-jiggi/
Yowies are Australia’s Bigfoot, and the similarities of yowie reports to its US ‘relative’ are striking. In over 39 years of investigating Australian cases I’ve probably spoken to over 250 yowie witnesses, but I’m still no closer to understanding what these experiences represent. An undiscovered animal? Unlikely. Misidentification? Nothing in the Australian bush looks like a gorilla. Sociological phenomenon? Fine, but explain the many multiple witness sightings.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:After proclaiming Bigfoot a non topic in Australia and delegating it to bunyip and yowie myths, i discover from a secondary inlaw that its alive and kicking in certain circles.

Yowies are Australia’s Bigfoot, and the similarities of yowie reports to its US ‘relative’ are striking. In over 39 years of investigating Australian cases I’ve probably spoken to over 250 yowie witnesses, but I’m still no closer to understanding what these experiences represent. An undiscovered animal? Unlikely. Misidentification? Nothing in the Australian bush looks like a gorilla. Sociological phenomenon? Fine, but explain the many multiple witness sightings.
Can anyone really believe anything a Strayan says about anything? :P

Thanks for posting. Reminds me of the tales of Bigfoot witnesses who claim the Bigfoot calmly looked at them, and then, rather than running away or hiding as if they were scared (most reports), the Bigfoot casually took a few steps and melted away like smoke in the wind right in front of them in plain sight.

Which if true, might give rise to the Native American lore of Bigfoot as magical creatures, or the more modern versions of Bigfoot as inter-dimensional beings using portals, time travelers, or alien beings using advanced technology. Or even the tales of Bigfoot possessing hypnotic abilities.

Fun to wonder about, especially when a person who claims to be a former skeptic reports a sighting.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's like flood myths.

I was watching a secular video that tried to show that the Bible lied because they stole the myth from Gilgamesh and a few others. I was stunned when the video was over, because he left out 298 other flood myths.

Then I realized he did it on purpose.

When you get into the 200+ witness range, it gets problematic.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

my wife and I put three of these signs on our property
Attachments
bigfoot 1.jpg
bigfoot 1.jpg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

a friend bought one of these for my birthday, so it is also on our property
Attachments
bigfoot 2.jpg
bigfoot 2.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Found this one today, gotta get and hang AT LEAST ONE of these
Attachments
bigfoot 3.jpg
bigfoot 3.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

:D

Avoid eye contact. You can look at anything else.

Good stuff.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:Found this one today, gotta get and hang AT LEAST ONE of these

gold.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Simple Minded wrote:Found this one today, gotta get and hang AT LEAST ONE of these

the deed is done. I ordered three signs today.

I would assume the cost is tax deductible since it is related to preserving nature and/or preventing people from getting raped or sodomized by an endangered species, and property improvement.

One of these days I might post some pictures of the remnants of the dam or the relics we have found up there.

I would assume, for one who knows, the act of taking a picture with your iPhone and putting it on OTNOT is not difficult. But for those of us who don't put our life "on-the-line" (tm) (just our wisdom), it is a road untraveled.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

And no kissing on the lips, either.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

The client I was cleaning for today found a...... tree frog..... on her coffee maker on the kitchen counter. Somehow the connection between a sort of amphibian and brewing caffeinated beverages is a thing:

She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

currently reading this book:

https://www.amazon.com/YOWIE-Search-Aus ... B004OYTUNG

Very interesting descriptions of Strine topography and settlement history. Apparently, a significant number of people in Straya speak English. :P

Yowie descriptions are similar to North American Bigfoot sightings, yet with significant differences. Some Striners even claim frequent sightings similar to habituation sightings here. Similar topography, similar experiences.

If true, after a while, apparently Yowies and humans learn to co-exist and just ignore each other..... like all good neighbors.

However, if Yowies or Bigfoots ever start posting their political or religious views on the internet....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:After proclaiming Bigfoot a non topic in Australia and delegating it to bunyip and yowie myths, i discover from a secondary inlaw that its alive and kicking in certain circles.

Had completely forgotten the Forteans. Read one of his books a long time ago. Amusing stuff.

As for witnesses, it is now well known that witness testimony is rather unreliable.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Smithsonian |Why Do So Many People Still Want to Believe in Bigfoot?
The debate has been raging for half a century, which raises a question of its own. “How is it that the evidence has not gotten any better despite the exponential increase in the quantity and quality of cameras?” asks Benjamin Radford, a research fellow with the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry.
Quite.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:It's like flood myths.

I was watching a secular video that tried to show that the Bible lied because they stole the myth from Gilgamesh and a few others. I was stunned when the video was over, because he left out 298 other flood myths.

Then I realized he did it on purpose.

When you get into the 200+ witness range, it gets problematic.
Not really. The end of the last Ice Age was a time of cataclysmic floods around the planet.
Recognition of the Missoula flood helped other geologists identify similar landforms in Asia, Europe, Alaska, and the American Midwest, as well as on Mars. There is now compelling evidence for many gigantic ancient floods where glacial ice dams failed time and again: At the end of the last glaciation, some 10,000 years ago, giant ice-dammed lakes in Eurasia and North America repeatedly produced huge floods. In Siberia, rivers spilled over drainage divides and changed their courses. England’s fate as an island was sealed by erosion from glacial floods that carved the English Channel. These were not global deluges as described in the Genesis story of Noah, but were more focused catastrophic floods taking place throughout the world. They likely inspired stories like Noah’s in many cultures, passed down through generations.

No mobile phones with motion-stabilized HD video to record the events at the time, only oral history which was incorporated into various religions and adopted by later ones. In the same spirit as Spike Milligan's [brilliant] war memoirs. His Prologue

"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others of whom I made the most careful and particular enquiry."

~ Thucydides. Peloponnesian War.

"I've just jazzed mine up a little."

~ Milligan. World War II.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Smithsonian |Why Do So Many People Still Want to Believe in Bigfoot?
The debate has been raging for half a century, which raises a question of its own. “How is it that the evidence has not gotten any better despite the exponential increase in the quantity and quality of cameras?” asks Benjamin Radford, a research fellow with the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry.
Quite.

excellent article. I can agree with the following:

"Some people see these cryptohominids as symbols of pure freedom, living by instinct and foiling every effort to pin them down. To search for Bigfoot in the forest is to taste that freedom. On the trail, you become extra-attuned to nature: the smell of scat, the sounds of breaking branches, the curious impressions in the dirt. As long as there are wild places in America, Bigfoot remains a possibility that, to its most ardent proponents, cannot be disproved.

The hunt for Bigfoot emulates an earlier mode of discovery, when new knowledge was not the product of advanced degrees and expensive machinery but rather curiosity, bravery, patience and survival. In the 19th century, the American landscape revealed its majesties to ordinary settlers pushing westward into territory unmapped by Europeans. To track Bigfoot today is to channel that frontier spirit (as well as to appropriate Native American traditions)."

But.... since the Smithsonian is part of the cover up, and they have recovered Bigfoot bodies in their freezer, what would you expect them to publish? ;)

I worked with an astronomer at NRAO, his whole career was dedicated to describing the different frequencies of radiation and their sources. He could not discuss even the possibility of intelligent life in space for even a millisecond, without risking damage to his professional credibility. Sounded worse than the most oppressive church police. I thought, "How sad and dry is that line of work?"

But for him it was not sad or dry, he considered himself an explorer. Someday, he may very make a break thru discovery. I suspect many if not most researchers are of the same mindset as Bigfoot hunters, they all are driven by a sense of wonder, and maybe even by the desire to be the next Columbus.

I suspect that the reason for so much junk science these days. Hard to get funding for decades of research without some sensational claims every couple years to keep the money flowing.
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:currently reading this book:

https://www.amazon.com/YOWIE-Search-Aus ... B004OYTUNG

Very interesting descriptions of Strine topography and settlement history. Apparently, a significant number of people in Straya speak English. :P
yehnah, cunts as mad as a cutsnake and has a few roos loose in the back paddock.
Simple Minded wrote: Yowie descriptions are similar to North American Bigfoot sightings, yet with significant differences. Some Striners even claim frequent sightings similar to habituation sightings here. Similar topography, similar experiences.

If true, after a while, apparently Yowies and humans learn to co-exist and just ignore each other..... like all good neighbors.

However, if Yowies or Bigfoots ever start posting their political or religious views on the internet....
ill bow to your superior Yowie knowledge, im as blissfully ignorant as ever :)

we also have the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip .. which is my favourite, it sounds better when you call people bunyip, it has a more forceful ring to it.

they are more monster like and lurk in swamps.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

yehnah, cunts as mad as a cutsnake and has a few roos loose in the back paddock.
Simple Minded wrote:

ill bow to your superior Yowie knowledge, im as blissfully ignorant as ever :)

we also have the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip .. which is my favourite, it sounds better when you call people bunyip, it has a more forceful ring to it.

they are more monster like and lurk in swamps.
patience my child, acquiring knowledge takes time. ;)

over here, we call the bunyips "white people."

A lot of the cases they list take place in the part of Straya which should be called North South West.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
I saw a few episodes of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_People

and i have enjoyed many a story about https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/top/?t=all
Simple Minded wrote: A lot of the cases they list take place in the part of Straya which should be called North South West.
westraya is bestraya.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
I saw a few episodes of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_People

and i have enjoyed many a story about https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/top/?t=all
Simple Minded wrote: A lot of the cases they list take place in the part of Straya which should be called North South West.
westraya is bestraya.
insane white people is a well documented phenomena.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Outsiders-Season ... 124&chn=ps

the more normal ones, the kind you want as neighbors, live on mountains, or tramp thru the woods looking for large primates. the real wack jobs post crap on the internet trying to convince everyone else they are smarter, more moral, better than the rest of humanity.
the latter are fine when they are in their basements and you are outside.

Seriously (?) though, the most interesting sightings IMSMO are the long time skeptics who come face to face with one and suddenly believe. very similar to a religious conversion/epiphany.

lonely person who decided to lie in order to join the cool kids club?
peer pressure?
desire to be unique?
person whose switch just flipped from sane to insane? conspiracies theories abound among both skeptics and believers.

"My wife won't let me go camping with the boys, cause she said it is just an excuse to drink beer and act like a teenager. So I tell her we are going Bigfoot hunting!"
"Fine, don't forget your cooler and leave the guns at home please."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

for all those doubters who claim there are no good Bigfoot videos:

-S5PYj60gZU

j39qWfynuZY
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Careful with antibiotics I guess, but this is still real far off the grid:

https://start.att.net/player/category/n ... _ac-zazoom
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

This might be a stretch to call crypto..... it certainly is skrewing with animals......'>.......

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/could-sna ... er-health/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

42356066_10156552833011000_2750921931703189504_n.jpg
42356066_10156552833011000_2750921931703189504_n.jpg (61.63 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

42369878_938853699636204_7877947070089265152_n.jpg
42369878_938853699636204_7877947070089265152_n.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 2821 times