Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by noddy »

One of those guys, Satriani or Vai, can't remember which- has sort of embraced his musicality-aloofness in a very meta way.
Vai, he went all in italian (*) mystical hippy.

4aINCu8CoTA

* i say that beacuse its a flavour that seems unique to that part of the world and he has got it strong.. i cant as yet put a proper identifying structure upon it for the porpoise of conversation.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:
One of those guys, Satriani or Vai, can't remember which- has sort of embraced his musicality-aloofness in a very meta way.
Vai, he went all in italian mystical hippy.

4aINCu8CoTA
That, I find kinda charming...so many of these guys are deadly serious
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, its the best of it no doubt, he has a sense of goofyness.

Satriani is just the endless noodle over bland backing tracks, I couldnt finish any of the ones i started.

7NJ_nzOckOQ
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ive been actively searching for new guitar work that i find interesting but the new stuff seems split between 3 genres i only find interesting in parts and not the whole.

their is the tippity tappity math rock endless argpeggios.
the ooh i learnt some funky chord indie stuff.
and the djent/modern metal thing, with overlaps between all three possible.

its all missing a certain something, I feel the need for a music that has the foot tapping, head nodding, bum wiggling factor that rock/blues/r&b/soul has had since the dawn of time but without the pentatonic cliches which perhaps have become a bit aurally tired.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I'm all about the doodling/noodling though--- the bizarre, (clearly) drug-induced doodles on the Rolling Stones Her Satanic Majesty's Request make for some interesting moments.

Then there is the post-punk, late Fugazi stuff I've posted about before with it's aggressive jagged noodling.

And of course Nirvana whose catalog is filled with pop songs and tense noodling

4W2xxKf8Yus

Or an ultimate pop-doodle song, Helter Skelter:

vWW2SzoAXMo
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I used to have an ear for it - listened to many thousands of hours of free jazz and also guitar soloing from various artists across the musical timeline.

somewhere along the line It all blurred into me feeling like I was listening to a practice session and i wanted to hear the condensed, refined, best of moments in a composition.

--

your added examples I wouldnt per se call noodling.

a solo , or background ambience that is part of the greater tune is different to an entire track of arpeggio/string skipping/scale running sequences.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:I used to have an ear for it - listened to many thousands of hours of free jazz and also guitar soloing from various artists across the musical timeline.

somewhere along the line It all blurred into me feeling like I was listening to a practice session and i wanted to hear the condensed, refined, best of moments in a composition.
This reads like a totally different noodle than what I have in mind.

This type of noodling, to me, is from people who should know better.

I'd also put most jam band, Phish type noodling in this category.

People who are technically proficient in a certain, conventional way shouldn't noodle/doodle. They hardly ever do it right unless they started out and developed strange habits around it.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: your added examples I wouldnt per se call noodling.

a solo , or background ambience that is part of the greater tune is different to an entire track of arpeggio/string skipping/scale running sequences.
your edit beat me to my post :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

improvisation is different to noodling, it hopefully has a touch of inspiration, it may also contain key moods or hooks previously worked out to add more flavour to the song.

when i use the word noodling im definately thinking of that pseudo-classical running of the arpeggios from folks who arent debussey.
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:I used to have an ear for it - listened to many thousands of hours of free jazz and also guitar soloing from various artists across the musical timeline.

This reads like a totally different noodle than what I have in mind.

This type of noodling, to me, is from people who should know better.

I'd also put most jam band, Phish type noodling in this category.

People who are technically proficient in a certain, conventional way shouldn't noodle/doodle. They hardly ever do it right unless they started out and developed strange habits around it.

yah, I cant imagine listening to phish.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:improvisation is different to noodling, it hopefully has a touch of inspiration, it may also contain key moods or hooks previously worked out to add more flavour to the song.

when i use the word noodling im definately thinking of that pseudo-classical running of the arpeggios from folks who arent debussey.
Un-Debussy would make a fine album name.
noddy

Post by noddy »

eo32AE_xHSA

for some reason i suffered through 40 minutes of this to learn what we had already discussed.

nothing beats a big tube amp for moving air around and having the music punch you in the face while you play it.
nothing beats a small amp for cranking it up loud , provided you have a studio
nothing beats a modelling amp for just recording the damn guitar and controlling the in room volume, plus you get a million different sounds.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:improvisation is different to noodling, it hopefully has a touch of inspiration, it may also contain key moods or hooks previously worked out to add more flavour to the song.

Un-Debussy would make a fine album name.
i expect it on soundcloud any day now but im worried , does that mean lots of arpeggios or none ?
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:yeh, its the best of it no doubt, he has a sense of goofyness.

Satriani is just the endless noodle over bland backing tracks, I couldnt finish any of the ones i started.

7NJ_nzOckOQ
This sounds exactly like someone I just had to arrange/record for- almost down to the tone- except more limited/sloppy.

We have 179 minutes of it recorded of one long wank.

There was this disconnect. To be fair, it wasn't just solo- but getting him to craft something which was sensible to his chord progression was just not happening. And he did not want assistance.

--------------------------

And it goes to the larger point- the way people hear music and are motivated to play music is a real fascinating thing.

Guitar-athletics is as much neurological as anything.
noddy

Post by noddy »

haha, commiserations. that would be painful.

back to my earlier point - the thing that the best jazz, or the best blues, or the best rock solos have is that the backing rhythm is cool and keeps you interested even if/when the solo drifts in and out of boring.

a good riff chugging or a funky backbeat hides a multitude of sins and hardly any of these virtuoso types have any ear at all for that aspect of the medium.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:haha, commiserations. that would be painful.

back to my earlier point - the thing that the best jazz, or the best blues, or the best rock solos have is that the backing rhythm is cool and keeps you interested even if/when the solo drifts in and out of boring.

a good riff chugging or a funky backbeat hides a multitude of sins and hardly any of these virtuoso types have any ear at all for that aspect of the medium.
To reiterate what I said earlier: Jimi Hendrix was an amazing listener
noddy

Post by noddy »

hendrix always got the rhythm chugging before switching to solos and regularly dropped back into rhythm when he sensed it was being neglected, which was a trick that SRV copied and many of these other fellows dont seem to have an ear for.

that approach goes back to the one man band blues guys like lightning hopkins or john lee hooker - the need to keep peoples feet tapping overriding the need to wank - for them the solo's just filled in the bits they didnt have lyrics for.

... once again we are back to the ones who played pubs/clubs long enough to learn what keeps the crowd alive.

the flipside of that is the guys like Tommy Emmanuel and some of the other hyper virtuoso pickers, whom the olympic event of getting more and more technical until the crowd goes into shock kept them alive in those same pubs and clubs.

only a very small pool of people has that level of proficiency, by definition - being that if it was common, it wouldnt have that daredevil sense of almost-failure, the energy which a virtuoso thrives on pushing.

you cant be an almost-virtuoso because take away the high wire act and nothing is left.

qQhECkexmSI

its as much like watching Evel Knievel as music, as you said, the reasons people play is varied.

----

this is the magic madness I believe Mr P is referring too in Jimmy Page that flows through to Van Halen - Heartbreaker to Eruption - the edge of falling apart, hendrix didnt really go there much.

JSs6YOPKTFo
ultracrepidarian
kmich

Post by kmich »

NU5xA6ty0a4
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:eo32AE_xHSA

for some reason i suffered through 40 minutes of this to learn what we had already discussed.

nothing beats a big tube amp for moving air around and having the music punch you in the face while you play it.
nothing beats a small amp for cranking it up loud , provided you have a studio
nothing beats a modelling amp for just recording the damn guitar and controlling the in room volume, plus you get a million different sounds.
I've found that Rick Beato and guy on the left, for whatever reason, are never as informative and interesting together, as they are solo.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
... once again we are back to the ones who played pubs/clubs long enough to learn what keeps the crowd alive.

the flipside of that is the guys like Tommy Emmanuel and some of the other hyper virtuoso pickers, whom the olympic event of getting more and more technical until the crowd goes into shock kept them alive in those same pubs and clubs.

Right.

But where are we at when there are no clubs and pubs? The scary thing is going places where everyone is nowhere near being present.
you cant be an almost-virtuoso because take away the high wire act and nothing is left.
Considering 19th century violin contests/capriccio- there is no room for the almost-virtuouso but there is room for the almost-composer.

Or the guy who has composer on hand.
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote: But where are we at when there are no clubs and pubs? The scary thing is going places where everyone is nowhere near being present.
increasingly internalized and cerebral music of musicians amusing other musicians and pop descending into bland madness.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Considering 19th century violin contests/capriccio- there is no room for the almost-virtuouso but there is room for the almost-composer.

Or the guy who has composer on hand.
all the shred stuff is of the same nature , no matter which century you find it.

currently the fashion has moved onto diva vocal gymanstics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGXVoMlYPs
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I only recently found out that constant Led Zeppelin on classic rock radio is a NY thing; and that no Zeppelin song is in the top 15 of most played rock songs in the United States.

And that Aerosmith actually holds the top 2 spots with Dream On and Sweet Emotion. 3rd is Hendrix with All Along the Watchtower, 4th is AC/DC with You Should Me All Night Long and 5th is More than a Feeling by Boston.

On Youtube, only Linkin Park has crossed the 1 billion mark for a rock band...unless we're counting Maroon 5

Spotify doesn't seem to have an easy list to decipher but they did reveal their top twenty played rock bands globally:
1)Coldplay
2)Twenty One Pilots
3)The Beatles
4)Linkin Park
5)Red Hot Chili Peppers
6)Panic! At the Disco
7)Metallica
8)Artic Monkey
9)Queen
10)Fall Out Boy
11)Green Day
12)AC/DC
13)Pink Floyd
14)Blink 182
15)Paramore
16)Guns N Roses
17)Nirvana
18)The Rolling Stones
19)The 1975
20)Kings of Leon
and in the US:
1. Twenty One Pilots
2. Imagine Dragons
3. Coldplay
4. Panic! At The Disco
5. The Beatles
6. Fall Out Boy
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers
8. Linkin Park
9. Blink-182
10. Metallica
11. Green Day
12. The 1975
13. Paramore
14. Five Finger Death Punch
15. Queen
16. Led Zeppelin
17. AC/DC
18. Pink Floyd
19. Arctic Monkeys
20. Mumford & Sons
21. Three Days Grace
NapLajoieonSteroids

My point is when it comes to developing broadly popular guitar sounds, that's a pretty good map of where listeners are at.

What are the common threads?

There are several legacy bands; a few contemporary-ish pop hitmakers who are either more electronica (Imagine Dragons/21 Pilots/and stretching the definition of contemporary, Linkin Park) or soft/stadium focused (Coldplay); lots of bands with garage/bar-band/punk roots.
NapLajoieonSteroids

626pNZB8xXE

Scrapper Blackwell completely slipped my mind but he deserves some recognition when talking about the roots of guitar blues.

He leans more to the jazz-blues line but his Kokomo Blues was later reworked into "Sweet Home Chicago" by Robert Johnson

gZXUSh4Gku4
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

William Bunch played guitar, but on most of his recordings he played piano. He knew or untilised a limited number of riffs and his recorded repertoire can be reduced to basically two melodies or modal progressions or whatever you want to call them, yet I find him infinitely fascinating:

43ZqJUosJG4

https://www.discogs.com/artist/313004-Peetie-Wheatstraw

The classic blue label Decca version I know well:

Ka9weyUzeMw

The uptempo modal version:

EqY03NHDMNo
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........