Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
noddy wrote:https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/acoustic- ... ustasonic/

a hollow body telecaster with acoustic and electric pickups AND microphone in the body so you can do hipster drums.

I suspect its trying too hard to be hip because it costs too much for actual hipsters.

0e9QLaHEt-I
Pass on the used toilet paper aesthetic.
Lol true. I will pass as well, pardon the pun but Fender doesn't produce too many turds but this appears to be one.
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

That Fender is one brutal guitar. What were they thinking?
noddy

Post by noddy »

i saw one review that said its probably a good instrument for the background/rhythm guitarist in a pro gigging band that needs to switch acoustic/electric all the time and gets lavender sound through the PA anyway.

so it has a market, just maybe not a huge one.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

eh, I get that angle but there are so many better options for that, and with better sound.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.christies.com/features/Davi ... 637-3.aspx
On 20 June at Christie’s in New York, this iconic, solid-body electric guitar (estimate: $100,000-150,000) will be a highlight of The David Gilmour Guitar Collection, which comprises more than 120 instruments and focuses on a selection of his preferred Fender Broadcasters, Esquires, Telecasters and Stratocasters. Not only the largest and most comprehensive sale of guitars ever offered at auction, the collection details the musical history of one of the world’s most influential guitarists. All proceeds from the sale will benefit charitable causes.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

in other news, ive finally eliminated all latency from my DAW setup for recording audio and now am bashing my head against MIDI and synths with some dinky korg controllers I bought on a whim.

Im probably being masochistic, ive settled upon doing all this in linux to see if i can avoid windows.

---

my next problem, after the midi/synth setup will be recording acoustic guitar, the final piece of the puzzle.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

eQiiu2z-JoQ

this guy was ripping solos in the 50's , remember hearing him on an anthology many decades ago but somehow he always slips the discussions.

I liked his levels of attack, almost a good as Hubert Sumlin for making the notes the spit and snarl
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow.
NapLajoieonSteroids

In the Love'em/Hate'em thread, I brought up Guns N Roses's Chinese Democracy..and after becoming reaquainted with the album- I wanted to single out Robin Finck and Buckethead's guitar work on this song:

bgpblTxY9yA

May be stating the obvious but Finck is the first solo and Buckethead the second
noddy

Post by noddy »

I had a couple of cracks at listening to it but something never quite clicked, seems very unpolished , like a demo.

Ill have another listen on my proper speakers later, i might even attempt the rest of the album out of morbid curiosity.

--

listened to it cranked on better speakers, as rock should be.

song still kinda sucks for me, directionless.

first solo was fine, "services the song" .. second one was buckethead, and for whatever reason I cant get into his playing, even when its in contexts I enjoy.

best bit was brain drumming, huge fan, he is always laying down a solid groove.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:I had a couple of cracks at listening to it but something never quite clicked, seems very unpolished , like a demo.

Ill have another listen on my proper speakers later, i might even attempt the rest of the album out of morbid curiosity.

--

listened to it cranked on better speakers, as rock should be.

song still kinda sucks for me, directionless.

first solo was fine, "services the song" .. second one was buckethead, and for whatever reason I cant get into his playing, even when its in contexts I enjoy.

best bit was brain drumming, huge fan, he is always laying down a solid groove.
I agree 100% about the drumming.

I like that Buckethead solo; especially after the servicable Finck one.

I think it has a very solid form. How it was recorded and put together like a Frankenstein's monster over 14 years is unfortunate but the pieces are there; totally off the wall stophe/anti-strophe format, with a tragic greek chorus and no resolution, just demise through the blistering rage, matching the lyrical content- and the overall themes of the album.

Now whether it sucks or not is a matter of taste. It's not the best song on the album; or it is...like I said in the other thread, the album is more of an artifact of psychosis and almost beyond judgement.

But it's an interesting, tighter development of all those fantasia songs on the Use Your Illusions albums. If it came out in 1996 as it should've have, it would've been a hit. It would've been another hit with a really weird structure, this is a man who produces 9-minute one-verse hits that are compelling and clever [within context] though with dodgy quality. And--like you pointed out in the other thread-- so far afield from what people want: they want sleazy riff rock.
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
But it's an interesting, tighter development of all those fantasia songs on the Use Your Illusions albums. If it came out in 1996 as it should've have, it would've been a hit. It would've been another hit with a really weird structure, this is a man who produces 9-minute one-verse hits that are compelling and clever [within context] though with dodgy quality. And--like you pointed out in the other thread-- so far afield from what people want: they want sleazy riff rock.
funnily enough, this came up in my random playlist, and reminded me of being the same type of "mid tempo, epic rock" song, just done with an extra layer of focus and maybe even talent.

d8c2Tbj2haM

I think you give him too much credit, its not that folks only want the sleazy riff rock, its that everything else he does is not quite as good as it needs to be to survive on its own merits in that space.
maybe he needed more songwriters around him and less virtuoso players, his voice and ideas s could have perhaps flourished more, the virtuosi are notoriously bad at polishing a song, everything is just a vehicle for their chops.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
I think you give him too much credit, its not that folks only want the sleazy riff rock, its that everything else he does is not quite as good as it needs to be to survive on its own merits in that space.
maybe he needed more songwriters around him and less virtuoso players, his voice and ideas s could have perhaps flourished more, the virtuosi are notoriously bad at polishing a song, everything is just a vehicle for their chops.
I think you are ultimately right. I was just writing that sentiment in the more appropriate thread, 'cause I don't want to derail this one. That's part of the bathos; it never quite adds up. Still, I'm all for anyone going for it, even in failure. My point is that it's absolutely brazen to go from a Lynard Skynard ripoff to harder rockin' Meat Loaf; and to do so increasingly alone and against all sensibility- both a self-inflicted situation and one of happenstance- it's something else.

========

Mr.Bungle is unfair comparison for a lot of reasons.

I can't think of a good comparison group/person--in success or failure.
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:
this guy was ripping solos in the 50's , remember hearing him on an anthology many decades ago but somehow he always slips the discussions.

I liked his levels of attack, almost a good as Hubert Sumlin for making the notes the spit and snarl
jF6cZTlWfow

found the original one that i loved back in when I was going hard on this stuff.

the spit and snarl are in top form.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

That is definitively legit.

I was interested in an intellectual exercise. These are pretty old, has everyone seen them?

x_M9zWORBuA
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So this is something I know less about than you guys I'm sure but it's fascinating to this topic, that is "deconstruction".

The "shred" series I put up previously was wildly entertaining at the time but I didn't think too much about it.

However this guy has caused me a lot of problems. Astonishingly accomplished technical player but every atom and neurological impulse in his body is derivative and cliche, and I came to realize he was doing the shred series in real life.

Osc55C7iZSo

Here he is more recently, nothing has changed.

mQ9WYAIz4vI
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

So deconstruction is very interesting. I think people do it impulsively anmd subconsciously. It's like a pathogens taking out a weak organism. I think you can do it without realizing it, as below. Sometimes it becomes a shtick and stops working, but it's hard to overcome when it's legit.

I'm pretty sure this bro doesn't really realize what he's doing, which makes it more damning.

EEIC0vvh56c

I would like your thoughts. I've often thought the Hotel California exit solo rides the line between legit and parody.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

A bit over the top.......'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:That is definitively legit.

I was interested in an intellectual exercise. These are pretty old, has everyone seen them?

x_M9zWORBuA
that is wonderfully hideous, I hadnt seen it before.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:So this is something I know less about than you guys I'm sure but it's fascinating to this topic, that is "deconstruction".

The "shred" series I put up previously was wildly entertaining at the time but I didn't think too much about it.

However this guy has caused me a lot of problems. Astonishingly accomplished technical player but every atom and neurological impulse in his body is derivative and cliche, and I came to realize he was doing the shred series in real life.

hideously hideous.

and yeh, derivative and cliche you can get away with (in a beer garden band) , provided you can even put the damn cliched licks in the correct order, this guy didnt really even get that bit right... probably should have stuck to being a SRV/Gary Moore cover band and playing the solos note for note :)

John Mayer and that Bonamassa wally arent much better, but they do probably satisfy that lowest hurdle of background music in a beer garden.

I cant see any chance of that type of guitar becoming popular again, the aforementioned 90's guys updated the old sound with a modern sensibility and high level of proficiency and musicality , aping them generically is not going to work.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:So deconstruction is very interesting. I think people do it impulsively anmd subconsciously. It's like a pathogens taking out a weak organism. I think you can do it without realizing it, as below. Sometimes it becomes a shtick and stops working, but it's hard to overcome when it's legit.

I'm pretty sure this bro doesn't really realize what he's doing, which makes it more damning.

I would like your thoughts. I've often thought the Hotel California exit solo rides the line between legit and parody.
I cant really comment on that because I virulently dislike all aspects of Soft Rock and the bands that defecate into that cesspool.

i believe that historically it can all be blamed on the beach boys and endless re-interpretations of their cheesier numbers and id put beach boys close to parody in the first place.

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:A bit over the top.......'>........
stevie t is one of the 'yoo toob personalities' that gets forced on your if you watch a guitar video - it is over the top but he is also doing a piss take on the ultra macho guitar posers so it has a certain charm in tiny doses.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

INXYLGOFrTc

Metallica Shreds
NapLajoieonSteroids

Mr. Perfect wrote:So this is something I know less about than you guys I'm sure but it's fascinating to this topic, that is "deconstruction".

Osc55C7iZSo

mQ9WYAIz4vI
Not to defend this guy, 'cause he's so far afield of anything I'd say is tasteful

But he's a pretty good example of people approaching rock guitar as an athletic exercise.

And there is a long tradition of that sort of thing...but it's odd with a blues based context. It doesn't only seem foreign but wrong or missing the point.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

absolutely, the guitar world is quite terrible for that, however i fear the orgasm face, big bend and shake the guitar "ive got the feelz" thing is worse if their isnt any good phrasing and connection to the "pocket"

on a related aspect, I rewatched the peak shred fellows like satriani and vai the other night after not listening to it for several decades to see how it sounded to my current ear.

it was terrible, far worse than my memory - the thing i noticed most is the lack of any pulse , a floaty, bland rhythm that allows the noodling to stream freely without concern for holding together a beat.

rock or blues without a pulse is just , wrong.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:absolutely, the guitar world is quite terrible for that, however i fear the orgasm face, big bend and shake the guitar "ive got the feelz" thing is worse if their isnt any good phrasing and connection to the "pocket"

on a related aspect, I rewatched the peak shred fellows like satriani and vai the other night after not listening to it for several decades to see how it sounded to my current ear.

it was terrible, far worse than my memory - the thing i noticed most is the lack of any pulse , a floaty, bland rhythm that allows the noodling to stream freely without concern for holding together a beat.

rock or blues without a pulse is just , wrong.
One of those guys, Satriani or Vai, can't remember which- has sort of embraced his musicality-aloofness in a very meta way.