Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:ill take cock waving , cartoon strutting rock all day every day over mopey, whiney, sooky lala modern rock.

stairway to heaven is horrid, id put it next to american pie as a parody of music and best burned in a fire and forgotten.
I've heard Stairway to Heaven 10,000 too many times.

On the other hand, I can listen to Fool in the Rain repeatedly:

Zp-LBD_q0sQ

Bonham's drumming on this recording never ceases to amaze me.

The other LZ song I can listen to repeatedly is D'yer Mak'er.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Bonham is a beast, alongside the james brown band, one of the most sampled people in music history.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
as for the wimpy modern rock...rock has lost all its masculine mojo. Which is a bad thing.

But as far as I can see cock rock and mopey are cut from the same perverse cloth and exist as a tandem.
gangsta rap took all the cartoon macho and rock went to the self loathing goth's.

so its all still happenign, it just depends on what the various demographics are up to - the self loathing thing is seemingly compulsory for inner city white boys.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:
as for the wimpy modern rock...rock has lost all its masculine mojo. Which is a bad thing.

But as far as I can see cock rock and mopey are cut from the same perverse cloth and exist as a tandem.
gangsta rap took all the cartoon macho and rock went to the self loathing goth's.

so its all still happenign, it just depends on what the various demographics are up to - the self loathing thing is seemingly compulsory for inner city white boys.
Reminds me of the late Patrice O'Neal's bit about Radiohead's Creep:

v1qKy4cMPUI

Of course it's a bit ironic that the most famous cover of it by Prince:

hAzzRQe6lms

who not only does it better, but changes the lyrics to get rid of the self-pitying- transcending both the original and the song the original ripped off.
NapLajoieonSteroids

And to tie it all together- Eric Clapton, Prince playing guitar on covers, weepiness&cockiness, blues-based rock guitar and solos:

there is the now famous performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" :

6SFNW5F8K9Y
noddy

Post by noddy »

the evolution of blues->rock guitar music which of course didnt go that route was the black sabbath played too fast -> thrash chain, with megadeth, slayer, pantera, lamb of god etc

hugely cartoon and off in its own space, away from mainstream music.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post moved to the musciology thread
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Blues Rock peaked in the 90's and I really dont know any modern players that are worth listening too.

playing the standard licks with the o-face , no matter how well, isnt going to cut it against the recordings of those that invented them.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:the evolution of blues->rock guitar music which of course didn't go that route was the black sabbath played too fast -> thrash chain, with megadeth, slayer, pantera, lamb of god etc

Indeed.

WIKqgE4BwAY
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Back to the topic.

M0J_ffTcPv4
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

One of my favourite recorded blues performances:

PBK_El9Ti8w
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Old school and, what was then, new school.

P3qfTk730Cw

By the time I got to the CBL, Muddy Waters was a few years gone.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I saw Albert King live, he knew how to work a room, the band looked scared of him.

2Py37G9qsfY

and the best lyric ever - "if i didnt have bad luck, I wouldnt have no luck at all"
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

aaah billy

db94lyKYOcg
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:Blues Rock peaked in the 90's and I really dont know any modern players that are worth listening too.

playing the standard licks with the o-face , no matter how well, isnt going to cut it against the recordings of those that invented them.
The same could be argued about blues-rock cousin, modern R&B.

D'Angelo's 2000 album was probably the last one that really stands out without being hip-hop/electronica/disco dipping it's toes.

The difference being that in the former, the direction was to get more energetic and rush the beat until the swing collapses

whereas

The latter has become so diffuse and so far behind the beat (without slipping into heavy syncopation) that it's almost absurd rhythm is in the name.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: playing the standard licks with the o-face , no matter how well, isnt going to cut it against the recordings of those that invented them.
That explains one side of the stage; but how does it explain the other? The average listener isn't going to be familiar with all the licks and recordings- and a recorded record is a whole kettle of worms...

I was listening to an old interview with the pianist Bill Evans a few weeks ago, had to be sometime in the late 60s or maybe the early 70s; and the interviewer gave him some form of "what do you make of the youth and their "rock" music?" In the sort of leading way, looking for a "rock is crap" quote.

The short of his answer (as I recall) was that rock music was doing a wonderful service by introducing the concept of "a beat" to the young folks. Never before had so many people been well schooled in the very basics of a pulse and how to find it. Then he went on to say that it was up to them to get beyond that and yadayadayada...

that's not really the important part- I think he was spot on with the beat comment, itself. The most popular, universal instrument is the voice and the 4/4 beat is quickly obvious (even if some people don't really get the backbeat).

There are now genres of popular music that give you those two elements in the most immediate form.

Nothing else has a shot.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I love Stairway to Heaven. I might have a different attitude about it though.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote: playing the standard licks with the o-face , no matter how well, isnt going to cut it against the recordings of those that invented them.
That explains one side of the stage; but how does it explain the other? The average listener isn't going to be familiar with all the licks and recordings- and a recorded record is a whole kettle of worms...

I was listening to an old interview with the pianist Bill Evans a few weeks ago, had to be sometime in the late 60s or maybe the early 70s; and the interviewer gave him some form of "what do you make of the youth and their "rock" music?" In the sort of leading way, looking for a "rock is crap" quote.

The short of his answer (as I recall) was that rock music was doing a wonderful service by introducing the concept of "a beat" to the young folks. Never before had so many people been well schooled in the very basics of a pulse and how to find it. Then he went on to say that it was up to them to get beyond that and yadayadayada...

that's not really the important part- I think he was spot on with the beat comment, itself. The most popular, universal instrument is the voice and the 4/4 beat is quickly obvious (even if some people don't really get the backbeat).

There are now genres of popular music that give you those two elements in the most immediate form.

Nothing else has a shot.
boths sides of the stage are quite linked.

the kids growing up react to the parents music and rock kind of ate itself and vomited over its shoes with hair metal.

you are right about voice/beat and rap supplied that better than up and down strum rock, or atleast it did till they ran out of 70's rock, funk and disco samples.

--

I do think RnB and soul struggle to compete with the back catalog, once you have Aretha Franklin or Bill Withers or James Brown or Curtis Mayfield as reference points its hard not be an also ran, as per the blues/rock dudes in this thread.
Last edited by noddy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote:
noddy wrote:the evolution of blues->rock guitar music which of course didn't go that route was the black sabbath played too fast -> thrash chain, with megadeth, slayer, pantera, lamb of god etc

Indeed.

WIKqgE4BwAY

glorious.

Im not sure how much I could listen to but it has a place in the extended play list :)
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I love Stairway to Heaven. I might have a different attitude about it though.
to be fair, I struggle with all ballads, especially overblown ones that start with acoustic guitar and escalate like a romcom into an orgy of orchestral indulgence.

so its not stairway to heavens fault, its also the billion bad clones it spawned and the abuse in overplaying it has received for the last few decades, i just glaze over.

led zep in riff rock mode is a wonderful thing, with bonham and page doing what they do best..
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I love Stairway to Heaven. I might have a different attitude about it though.
There's only a Stairway to Heaven, but there's a Highway to Hell.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote:
We interrupt our regular programming to bring you the national anthem of SimpleMindedStan. Protesters who kneel will be ignored.

JsxavPANO8s
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Colonel Sun wrote:
Tells you something about anticipated capacity requirements.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

kuseBljHhVA
noddy

Post by noddy »

nice summary, brings in fresh reference points.
ultracrepidarian