On Academia | Institutes of Higher and Lower Learning

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Re: On Academia | Institutes of Higher and Lower Learning

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I started to read this, but my amygdala kicked in, and I panicked and ran away from my computer..... safe for now.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

'The Rise of the "Trauma Essay" in College Applications | Tina Yong'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyD0m7JXgjA

MyD0m7JXgjA

How bizarre.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Disgusting.

What else can be said?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

On N. Chomsky.

New Criterion | A disgraceful career
Anyone who likes seeing such a celebrated leftist being skewered by his own words and arguments will enjoy much of this book hugely, but its overall effect is actually very sobering. What is it about Western intellectual culture, and American academic culture in particular, that has led so many potentially talented people to turn into such blind and hate-filled critics? There is no answer in this book, but it sure makes you wonder.
Self-loathing in Western academia is a wonder to behold.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

M. Hutchinson | Over the cliff with student debts
. . .

However, the principal driver of increased costs is the appalling administrative bloat, from which the colleges benefit either directly or through imposing fashionable wokery on the student body. Harvard had a 3 to 1 ratio of administrators to instructors in 2020, spending $45,000 per student on administration, around two thirds of the fees charged. Few if any of these administrators add any value to the educational experience, many of them damage it, and they bear the prime responsibility for the increase in real college tuition over the last 40 years.

A third problem with U.S. colleges today is the appalling corruption of the admissions system. One aspect of this was shut down by the Supreme Court in its decision in Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College, which has outlawed “affirmative action” practices that discriminated against Asian-American students in an extraordinarily similar manner to Harvard’s discrimination against Jewish students in the 1930s.

. . .
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

True Blue - M. Hutchinson | What should we do with higher education?
The current U.S. and British education systems are increasingly dysfunctional. Far too high a percentage of the population has been bullied into attending college, with very little benefit in most cases and with costs that have escalated several times faster than inflation or even incomes. The faculty and administration of top colleges are increasingly isolated from the political outlook of their fellow citizens – and increasingly unconstrained in forcing their warped worldview on the untrained youthful minds in their care. . . .

In attempting to structure a new higher education system, we must first determine what purpose it should serve. In this context, it is worth looking at the most long-lasting education system in human history: the Chinese system of examination for the mandarinate. This is usefully examined in a new book: Yasheng Huang’s “The Rise and Fall of the East” (© Yale University Press, 2023) which sets the system in relation to China’s current challenges.

The main mandarinate examination, the Keju, was established in AD 587, under the short-lived Sui dynasty; it was then developed further in the Tang and Song dynasties, where it reached its intellectual peak, before a hiatus under the Mongol Yuan, followed by a further numerical expansion to near-universality under the Ming and to a lesser extent Qing dynasties. It was abolished only in 1905, after a run of over 1,300 years.

. . .
A fascinating comparison.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Should I post James Lindsay YouTubes here or is that too much conspiracy?....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:08 am Should I post James Lindsay YouTubes here or is that too much conspiracy?....'>.......
Post 'em if you got 'em.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:46 am
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:08 am Should I post James Lindsay YouTubes here or is that too much conspiracy?....'>.......
Post 'em if you got 'em.
Let's start with The Strange Death of the University.....
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Elizabeth Magill resigns as Penn president after antisemitism backlash
University head drew scathing criticism for her testimony at a Congressional hearing on campus antisemitism
"One down, two to go".
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:05 am FT | Elizabeth Magill resigns as Penn president after antisemitism backlash
University head drew scathing criticism for her testimony at a Congressional hearing on campus antisemitism
"One down, two to go".
The search process should be interesting.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

their will be a special rorshach test of crafted AI images with hidden symbology in them
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Read the above and read also Scalia article and listened to his speech

https://www.nationalreview.com/bench-me ... holocaust/

This long story and not the right time to engage in this now

but

Interesting is, that all those bad things targeting Jews happened in Europe and West, by Christians

As if there was no "elite" and civilization (and academia) in "Muslim Andalusia" where for 100s of yrs Jewish people prospered or in Persia where Jews were happy for 2600 yrs.

As said all those bad things happened to our beloved Jews by you guys, and reason ain't the "rotten academia" and elite.

But this a long story.

BTW, somebody "deleted" my post here.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:05 am
"One down, two to go".

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/12/business ... index.html

New York

CNN

Embattled Harvard President Claudine Gay has gained the unanimous support of the university’s board, Harvard’s highest governing body said in a statement Tuesday, giving Gay significant cover to remain in her position after a tumultuous week in which many donors and politicians have called for her ouster.

“As members of the Harvard Corporation, we today reaffirm our support for President Gay’s continued leadership of Harvard University,” the statement from the Harvard Corporation said. “Our extensive deliberations affirm our confidence that President Gay is the right leader to help our community heal and to address the very serious societal issues we are facing.”
Gay was recruited to Harvard in 2006 as a professor of government.

Bravo

When .. "Ku Klux Klan" marches are free speech, when Koran burning and throwing Koran in toilet and flashing is "free speech" .. WHY should saying anti Zionism not same as anti-semitism NOT be free speech and be pro Genocide ? why should Palestinian writers have no right to exhibit on uPen campus ?

Remember Évian Conference, when nobody helped our beloved Jewish, now same happening to Pali .. how will history judge ? ? will doing to Palestinians what was done to Jews wash out Western sins so evident in Évian Conference.

Think how history will judge
Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

How unfortunate for Harvard. Harvard takes federal tax dollars. To do so it had to sign an agreement stating it agrees to not discriminate against people based on race nation origin and religion. In doing so it has opened itself up lawsuits and loss of Federal funding.
Harvard is trying very hard to back peddle on the religious discrimination their president. And getting called on it:
harvard.png
harvard.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 19053 times

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm
"One down, two to go".

New York

CNN

Embattled Harvard President Claudine Gay has gained the unanimous support of the university’s board, Harvard’s highest governing body said in a statement Tuesday, giving Gay significant cover to remain in her position after a tumultuous week in which many donors and politicians have called for her ouster.

“As members of the Harvard Corporation, we today reaffirm our support for President Gay’s continued leadership of Harvard University,” the statement from the Harvard Corporation said. “Our extensive deliberations affirm our confidence that President Gay is the right leader to help our community heal and to address the very serious societal issues we are facing.”

Bravo

When .. "Ku Klux Klan" marches are free speech, when Koran burning and throwing Koran in toilet and flashing is "free speech" .. WHY should saying anti Zionism not same as anti-semitism be free speech and pro Genocide ? why should Palestinian writers have no right to exhibit on uPen campus ?

Remember Évian Conference, when nobody helped our beloved Jewish, now same happening to Pali .. how will history judge ? ? will doing to Palestinians what was done to Jews wash out Western sins so evident in Évian Conference.

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:20 pm How unfortunate for Harvard. Harvard takes federal tax dollars. To do so it had to sign an agreement stating it agrees to not discriminate against people based on race nation origin and religion. In doing so it has opened itself up lawsuits and loss of Federal funding.
Harvard is trying very hard to back peddle on the religious discrimination their president. And getting called on it:

harvard.png

"One down, two to go".

New York

CNN

Bravo

When .. "Ku Klux Klan" marches are free speech, when Koran burning and throwing Koran in toilet and flashing is "free speech" .. WHY should saying anti Zionism not same as anti-semitism be free speech and pro Genocide ? why should Palestinian writers have no right to exhibit on uPen campus ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... en-wallace

Israel’s ‘killing rage’ will fuel conflict for 50 years, warns ex-UK defence secretary

Senior Tory criticises war methods in Gaza, saying they pose threat to Israel’s moral and legal authority

The Israeli government’s “killing rage” in Gaza poses a threat to the country’s moral and legal authority and will fuel conflict for another 50 years, the former UK defence secretary Ben Wallace has warned.

In an intervention that goes further than any other front-rank British politician in its criticism of Israel’s methods in the war, the senior Conservative MP wrote in the Daily Telegraph: “Going after Hamas is legitimate; obliterating vast swathes of Gaza is not. Using proportionate force is legal, but collective punishment and forced movement of civilians is not.”

He also criticised Israel’s new generation of “bull in a China shop” politicians for “crashing from one crisis to another”.

Notion Harvard, elite, are guilty for dramatic anti-Semitism rise is fooling oneself

People watching what is happening, and read the history .. they no I.D.I.O.T.S, they judge themselves and would not anymore swallow fake news and propaganda pushed down their throat, force fed with Israel lobby fake news, fake history and top to bottom fake stuff

People now can judge themselves.

That is why the young generation "world wide" are confronting the old fake stories.

In the good old days, News was "controlled" by Western backers of Zionism, Western Joe did not know what really going on .. now they know

The more time passes the more "dirt" will come out, gates are opening wide now.

-

Best way for Congress to fight anti-semitism is to summon some of those Harvard students, and, in open session debate them, why they sayin what they sayin .. on CSPAN .. this way all young generations can watch and judge who right who wrong

Attacking head of MIT or cutting donations (which are deducted from donor's taxes, meaning those are tax dollars) is admission of not having a valid case.

In final analysis, American Joe, American people, the general public must judge.

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:41 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:20 pm How unfortunate for Harvard. Harvard takes federal tax dollars. To do so it had to sign an agreement stating it agrees to not discriminate against people based on race nation origin and religion. In doing so it has opened itself up lawsuits and loss of Federal funding.

harvard.png

"One down, two to go".

New York

CNN

Bravo

You are conflating free speech US with war in the Missile East. They are not the same thing. My father once met a girl from Bosnia whose brother had been wounded fighting the Serbs She was allowed to accompany him to the US. My father asked her where she was from When she answered "Bosnia" He said Oh that is a good place to be **From**

Meaning of course that the violence and calls to violence (believe it or not HP) are not good. Seems like the entire Missile East is a good place to be **from** And what happens in the Missile East should stay in the Missile East.
I met a guy through work once that immigrated to Canada with his parents. He said at the first sit down dinner they had in Canada his father told him and his siblings. "We are no longer Dutch. Now we are Canadians"

Are you Canadian HP? Or are you Missile Eastern?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:12 pm
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:41 pm

harvard.png

"One down, two to go".

New York

CNN

Bravo

You are conflating free speech US with war in the Missile East. They are not the same thing. My father once met a girl from Bosnia whose brother had been wounded fighting the Serbs She was allowed to accompany him to the US. My father asked her where she was from When she answered "Bosnia" He said Oh that is a good place to be **From**

Meaning of course that the violence and calls to violence (believe it or not HP) are not good. Seems like the entire Missile East is a good place to be **from** And what happens in the Missile East should stay in the Missile East.
I met a guy through work once that immigrated to Canada with his parents. He said at the first sit down dinner they had in Canada his father told him and his siblings. "We are no longer Dutch. Now we are Canadians"

Are you Canadian HP? Or are you Missile Eastern?

Doc, consider HP an AI-Robot, chatbot .. what does matter whether HP Canadian or Japanese or Tibetan ?

Notion if one is Canadian or American or German one should tow that line lead to disasters in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam

Fact is now, all western media, correctly, report anti-Semitism in Western general public is skyrocketing. One must find out WHY

When Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon where crushing Spanish Jews bones, where did the Spanish Jews escape ? Not to America , not to France or Germany .. they escape to "Ottoman Empire".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... d86371198/

https://rpl.hds.harvard.edu/faq/judaism ... 92%20alone.

Roughly 100,000 Jews fled the 1492 Spanish expulsion under Queen Isabella, most of whom were drawn to the Ottoman Empire, 60,000 people arriving in 1492 alone.

Similar with aDolf time

Just bullying MIT or uPen or Harvard president to stop Anti-Semitism is self-kidding

It is a disservice for our beloved Jews, AND to Israel not to confront the real cause of surge in anti-semitism now.

Just sweeping the issue under the carpet will not stop anti-Semitism.

In Iran, Tehran, Esfahan, Yazd many Synagogues, non protected by police, non attacked .. Many old (some 1000 yrs old) Jewish cemetery, non protected by police and non touched .. all this despite since 40 yrs Israel saying wanting to bomb Iran :lol:

Heracleum Persicum

Seems WSJ changing course .. (sort of) defending Harvard's president Claudine-Gay

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/b ... y-b551f4a5

Listened to few clips of and about her .. I like her