Hero's Revenge

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Doc

Hero's Revenge

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Hero's Revenge

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:54 pm Image
Should be in Best Finishing Moves topic.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 pm
Should be in Best Finishing Moves topic.
You are right. I never thought of that
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 pm Should be in Best Finishing Moves topic.
Agreed.

"Who is John Galt?"

"That's why I dynamited Cortlandt!"
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Meanwhile...... appropriate soundtrack:

K0jYPLgzLxI
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Doc

Post by Doc »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:02 pm Meanwhile...... appropriate soundtrack:

K0jYPLgzLxI
The number of guns are correct. Not sure when it was I last heard this song. Probably 1971. :P
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I know this was in a movie, but I also think it happened before, somewhere.... unless I'm confusing TV with reality yet again.

One could make the argument this is why we need National Common Sense Bulldozer control laws or that gun control laws should be more lax so people would not have to buy bulldozers to get revenge. Revenge could be more accurate and personal, with a lot less capital collateral damage.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:39 pm
I know this was in a movie, but I also think it happened before, somewhere.... unless I'm confusing TV with reality yet again.

One could make the argument this is why we need National Common Sense Bulldozer control laws or that gun control laws should be more lax so people would not have to buy bulldozers to get revenge. Revenge could be more accurate and personal, with a lot less capital collateral damage.
What about a plow share into tanks control law?
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Theodore Sturgeon first gave Killdozer life in 1944. I read the novel, it was great.....:D........

The TV science fiction movie happened in 1974 and was based on Sturgeon's novella, taking it out of the WWII scenario and upgrading Kill from a Caterpillar D7 to a D9.......

1r3y-SRsNPI
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Ebg2YnBj9II
Deep down I'm very superficial
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Maybe it's not movies......'>.........
Mass Shootings and the World Liberalism Made
The debate over more or less gun control completely misses the horrifying heart of the matter: the modern world breeds the nihilism behind mass shootings.

The explanations offered by journalists and politicians are always the same: online radicalization, video games, white supremacy, misogyny, loneliness, fatherlessness, lack of sex, lack of intimacy, lack of community. The left demands stricter gun control and red flag laws. The right, fearful the left may prevail, insists that the real issue is our mental health epidemic—the result, we hear, of all those antidepressants and antipsychotics being prescribed to fatherless young men—and that the solution is to arm schoolteachers and hire more on-campus cops.

We imagine that these killers have nothing to do with everyone else—that they are like a leper colony set apart from the rest of us, and every so often, one escapes and spreads his disease. We want to believe that because it makes us feel good. But the reality is that the smudge of nihilism’s fingerprints stains all things, everywhere.

It’s in the half-joking, half-serious proclamations of millennials who say they don’t want children because of the climate—because the world is beyond repair. It’s in the ubiquity of an even darker humor, the kind that was popularized by 4chan in the mid-2010s and captured the public imagination—the sort of things that can only be funny if life has lost any value.

It’s in the commingling of our leisure and anesthesia—we drink to escape, we exercise until we can’t feel anything, we propel ourselves into fantasy lives with fandom. It’s even, paradoxically, in our insistence on living “in the moment.” Nothing matters, so we may as well be happy with where we are. The darker side of “YOLO” is how it forecloses on the possibility that our lives matter in any grander sense, that we can be a part of a tradition that started long before we were born and will extend for ages after we die.
https://contra.substack.com/p/mass-shoo ... medium=web
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I tend to see the darkish experience and downsides of "nihilism" as withdrawal symptoms when a culture looses most of its contents with no alternatives sufficiently developed yet. The sense of emptiness that comes with these withdrawal symptoms is harmless and usually temporary.

Guys who decide to enter a school and gun down kids have climbed out of that emptiness already: to revenge and kill fills them most likely with a sense of great purpose and pleasure.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Or as I look at it, a manifestation of retributive justice......

To those that enjoy the innocence and happiness denied me, my ruined life and prospects are mocked by your presence so now I'll visit my revenge upon you........
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Maybe there is something to it. Visiting the empty desert and have your demons, delusions of grandeur crawling out of the dark cracks and crevasses ready to take over and direct your actions. In the narrative you look them right in the face and do a vicious stare down. Until they blink and leave. The problem of Nihilism is not the emptiness but losing the stare down. Revenge killers et-al lost. Jesus et-al won.

2208cGeYono
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:05 pm Maybe there is something to it. Visiting the empty desert and have your demons, delusions of grandeur crawling out of the dark cracks and crevasses ready to take over and direct your actions. In the narrative you look them right in the face and do a vicious stare down. Until they blink and leave. The problem of Nihilism is not the emptiness but losing the stare down. Revenge killers et-al lost. Jesus et-al won.

2208cGeYono
I wasn't sure where to put this but it seems to fit here as much as anywhere