Japan

Ammianus

Re: Japan

Post by Ammianus »

Come to think of it, what are Mr. Hashimoto's thoughts regarding the recent "brouhaha" over the homeland of those goats?
Azrael

Election soon?

Post by Azrael »

It seems that there may be an election in Japan over the next few months. The LDP is picking a new leader to run against Noda and the Democratic Party.

Has anyone been following it?
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Re: Election soon?

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:It seems that there may be an election in Japan over the next few months. The LDP is picking a new leader to run against Noda and the Democratic Party.

Economist | The LDP shocks Japan and the region with its choice of a new leader

Who given new meaning to "running" for election.

Japanese politics is far too inbred.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Edelstein | It's Not Easy Being a Yakuza Boss

This investigative reporter does his homework.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Re: Election soon?

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:
Azrael wrote:It seems that there may be an election in Japan over the next few months. The LDP is picking a new leader to run against Noda and the Democratic Party.

Economist | The LDP shocks Japan and the region with its choice of a new leader

Who given new meaning to "running" for election.

Japanese politics is far too inbred.
I can't believe the LDP. A lot of them seem to be dumbasses. I actually like Noda somewhat. Most Japanese politicians lately I don't like. Japan deserves better.

I don't consider the replacement of Sadakazu Tanigaki with Abe to be an improvement.

Even Shigeru Ishiba would have been a better pick for the LDP, not that I particularly like him.
cultivate a white rose
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Japan’s tech giants are in a free fall

Japan is in an "Identity Crises"

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Other tech companies such as FujiFilm, Canon, and even Hitachi are doing well. FujiFilm, like Agfa, managed to reinvent itself. Kodak did not.

The article does touch upon a weakness, at least of traditional Japanese company thinking, of overvaluing hardware and undervaluing software.
Jnalum Persicum wrote:

Time will tell.
Jnalum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:
Other tech companies such as FujiFilm, Canon, and even Hitachi are doing well. FujiFilm, like Agfa, managed to reinvent itself. Kodak did not.

The article does touch upon a weakness, at least of traditional Japanese company thinking, of overvaluing hardware and undervaluing software.
Jnalum Persicum wrote:

Time will tell.
too simplistic and naive, software & hardware

waiting for the time to tell whether Japan in "identity crisis" or not, is neither wise, nor patriotic

Now is the time to decide Japan's "road ahead"

Japanese "nationalist" taking power, planing confrontation with China and Russia .. West and America promoting that

Who are Japan's friends, and, who are Japan must live next to for the next 100s of yrs ? ?

A mistake Colonel, a mistake

Japan's future does not lie in the west

and

that is the root of Japan's "Identity Crises"

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Jnalum Persicum wrote:

Time will tell.
too simplistic and naive, software & hardware

waiting for the time to tell whether Japan in "identity crisis" or not, is neither wise, nor patriotic

Now is the time to decide Japan's "road ahead"

Japanese "nationalist" taking power, planing confrontation with China and Russia .. West and America promoting that

Who are Japan's friends, and, who are Japan must live next to for the next 100s of yrs ? ?

A mistake Colonel, a mistake

Japan's future does not lie in the west

and

that is the root of Japan's "Identity Crises"

Japan is not experiencing an "Identiy Crisis". What it is experiencing is a generational conflict with a now older entranced generation resistant to change and innovation.

Histrionic nationalism never leads to anything good - in Japan or elsewhere.

China has far to many unresolved and festering internal problems to be worth considering as an ally at the same level as the US.

Relations with India are good.
Jnalum Persicum

Japan enjoys little international support for its "nationalization" of the Senkaku Islands, its ally the US is staying as far as possible from the issue

The Obama administration has decided not to state explicitly that the Senkaku Islands, which are under Japan's control but claimed by China, are subject to the Japan-US security treaty, in a shift from the position of George W Bush, sources said Monday. The administration of Barack Obama has already notified Japan of the change in policy, but Tokyo may have to take countermeasures in light of China's increasing activities in the East China Sea, according to the sources.

Look, Colonel

Japan a branch of China

why you buggin China ?

why the fight you can't win ?

Real silly

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:
Aren't individuals humans always in an "identity crises?" And if they aren't, their children or their parents are.... ;)

Why do we expect groups to be better at "self-defining" than the confused individual group members?

Hell, we can't even consistently define the words we use to label "us" and "them".... yet alone our or their identities..... :D

"The desire to live an imaginary life in the minds of others....."

Chaos is stability! :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:.

Japan enjoys little international support for its "nationalization" of the Senkaku Islands, its ally the US is staying as far as possible from the issue
The Obama administration has decided not to state explicitly that the Senkaku Islands, which are under Japan's control but claimed by China, are subject to the Japan-US security treaty, in a shift from the position of George W Bush, sources said Monday. The administration of Barack Obama has already notified Japan of the change in policy, but Tokyo may have to take countermeasures in light of China's increasing activities in the East China Sea, according to the sources.

Look, Colonel

Japan a branch of China
Sure it is. And Iran is a branch of Israel . . .
Jnalum Persicum wrote:
why you buggin China ?

. . .

Real silly
For once I partly agree with you . . . that it was very silly to fan nationalist sentiment over these bits of rock . . . although the mob behaviour has been on the Chinese side.

The islands were privately owned by the Kurihara family of Japan.

The issue was not set into motion not by the national government, but by the looney governor of Tokyo, Ishihara who started the process of purchasing the islands.

For internal political reasons, the national government then decided to purchase the islands instead and that's when China started to have histrionics.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:The issue was not set into motion not by the national government, but by the looney governor of Tokyo, Ishihara who started the process of purchasing the islands.
Shintaro Ishihara, now governor of Tokyo, with Yukio Mishima

L'amour à 20 ans (Love at 20 years old) the Nouvelle Vague movie realized by François Truffaut, Shintaro Ishihara, Andrzej Wajda and others

...The guy has had a creative and interesting youth.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

We have a regular, hem...... arse munch...... and anybody that wishes to can on come over any time and punch him in the bits. Really. We don't mind.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:We have a regular, hem...... arse munch...... and anybody that wishes to can on come over any time and punch him in the bits. Really. We don't mind.......
Not worth it. The guy is impervious to argument.

MAhSSy4_7mc
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

instructive....... now, we know what we're dealing with........'>..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

iron ears, the deadliest form of gung fu.
ultracrepidarian
Jnalum Persicum

Extreme Energy Saving In Japan

Japanese families are voluntarily "amping down" their energy consumption by physically capping their circuit-breaker boxes.
@ the same time Americans buying bigger & bigger SUV

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:.

Extreme Energy Saving In Japan
Japanese families are voluntarily "amping down" their energy consumption by physically capping their circuit-breaker boxes.
@ the same time Americans buying bigger & bigger SUV

Many families and companies in Japan tend to be more frugal when using electricity.

These family snapshots are outliers as far as I know.

Meanwhile,

Ny5lpk6oJ-k

Jnalum Persicum

Look, Colonel

China is Japan's natural market .. endless market, endless consumers, rich consumers .. Everybody else pretty much broke

AND ? ?

Toyota, Honda China Sales Fall Sharply

why alienate China ? ?

"To be frank, we are very puzzled by this tension in Japan and China's relations," Mr. Okuda, now president of the state-owned Japan Bank for International Cooperation, said on the sidelines of an event at the annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank taking place in Tokyo.

As a result of those simmering political tensions, the three Japanese car makers temporarily closed their factories in China last month. Production at standard pre-crisis levels has yet to be resumed, with Nissan in Japan saying it is operating plants "flexibly" to respond to changes in demand.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Kyodo | Justice minister likely to quit over past yakuza ties
Justice Minister Keishu Tanaka is planning to step down after admitting to having had ties with an organized crime syndicate about 30 years ago,
a government source said Friday.
Jnalum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

Justice Minister Keishu Tanaka is planning to step down after admitting to having had ties with an organized crime syndicate about 30 years ago,

Have never understood why Japan could or would not wipe out Japanese organized crime syndicates

Japanese organized crime not as violent as American or Italian Mafia

My suspicion is, they part of the system .. intentionally

and

Colonel

What is SONY anymore good for ? in what field/product, they, still nemero uno .. hardly any .. they were sleeping behind the wheel .. everything today, including smart phone, tablet and and and, was in their domain and they missed it

Sony to Cut 2,000 Jobs, Shut Plant in Japan

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jnalum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:.

Have never understood why Japan could or would not wipe out Japanese organized crime syndicates

Japanese organized crime not as violent as American or Italian Mafia

My suspicion is, they part of the system .. intentionally
How perceptive of you . . .
Jnalum Persicum wrote:
and

Colonel

What is SONY anymore good for ? in what field/product, they, still nemero uno .. hardly any .. they were sleeping behind the wheel .. everything today, including smart phone, tablet and and and, was in their domain and they missed it

Sony to Cut 2,000 Jobs, Shut Plant in Japan

It is Son not Sony that you should be following.
Jnalum Persicum

Japan climbing in bed with Russia - From Kuriles with love

Russia, just next door to Japan, will take care of Japan's energy needs

and

China will be natural market for Japanese industry, know-how and goods

meaning

America losing influence

Jnalum Persicum

Tokyo Governor Quits to Form Political Party

Shintaro Ishihara, who recently played a key role in reviving a bitter territorial dispute with China, told a packed news conference that he wants to fix the nation's fiscal and political problems.

[..]

Ishihara, 80, angered China earlier this year when he proposed that Tokyo buy and develop a cluster of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea controlled by Japan but also claimed by China. The national government responded by buying some of the islands from their private owner, saying it would not develop them.

[..]

Ishihara is renowned for his outbursts against China, North Korea, foreigners, immigrants, women and even the French language. He once told reporters he "hates" the American icon Mickey Mouse for not having the "unique sensibility that Japan has."

Ishihara wrote the 1989 book, "The Japan that Can Say No," a best-selling paean to ultra-patriotism. He also has tried his hand at screen writing, authoring a film, released in 2007, "I Go to Die For You," that glorified so-called "kamikaze" pilots who flew suicide missions in the ending months of World War II.

Don't know good or bad