Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Now, what news on the Rialto?
Mr. Perfect

Re: Gloom, Doom, or Boom? Finance and Economics

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Not a fan of STPN, first authorized in the waning day of the Bush II admin, however, it's easy to be a critic.
TARP was defeated by the GOP on the first pass. It passed by Democrat support.
What imaginative solutions do the Republicrats have in mind?
THis is an example of why I no longer do "substantive" posting. Republicans have been shouting from the rooftops our plans for years now, there really isn't excuse for not knowing what we want to do. Substance tends to be ignored, while crushing debate defeats tend to be the only things people actually learn from.

First of all Democrats have no imagination and no solutions. Republicans otoh understand that the imagination is in the hands of the American People, not central planners in Washington. The job of central planners is to get out of the way and let the American People do what we've always done, that is create wealth and prosperity at a level unmatched in human history.

Since we are looking to win the upcoming election people can find out then.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: In the 80's, much of the Reagan era prosperity was driven by deficit creating spending on non-consumable military good and services.
No it wasn't.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: THis is an example of why I no longer do "substantive" posting. Republicans have been shouting from the rooftops our plans for years now, there really isn't excuse for not knowing what we want to do. Substance tends to be ignored, while crushing debate defeats tend to be the only things people actually learn from.
The only ideas Republicans have been shouting from the rooftops are 1) tax cuts for the wealthy and 2) stripping the impoverished of the meager programs that help them survive. The last two big proposals the Republicans made were 1) privatization of social security and 2) Obamacare. Wah wah waaah.
First of all Democrats have no imagination and no solutions.
Maybe not. But they have proposals. People are more likely to be able to name Democratic policy initiatives. And that's one important reason why they keep winning in the long-run.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: The only ideas Republicans have been shouting from the rooftops are 1) tax cuts for the wealthy and 2) stripping the impoverished of the meager programs that help them survive.
Nope.
The last two big proposals the Republicans made were 1) privatization of social security and 2) Obamacare. Wah wah waaah.
Nope.
Maybe not. But they have proposals.
Nope.
People are more likely to be able to name Democratic policy initiatives.
Nope.
And that's one important reason why they keep winning in the long-run.
After this election we will have the Senate majority, the House majority, majority of governorships, majority of state legislators, majority of the Supreme Court. We will be the majority in every category, again.

The dominant political force from 1980 to 2006 was Conservatism. 2006-2014 will be the aberration in the long run.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:It's hard to imagine what additional services and products Americans could produce and sell to each other (and export abroad) that would return us to the level of prosperity of the 1980's.
That's why Democrts are headed for the ash heap. All those trillions in STPN, no results, no imagination.
If citing the 1980's recovery, which was attributable to a Carter-appointee if it could be attributed to anyone in government at all, is all you've got, then you've got neither imagination nor the facts on your side. As I pointed out, US post-WWII prosperity was built on unique, non-repeatable circumstances, and that goes for the 1980's, too. Let's take a look at what happened to the labor market between 1979 and 1989:

1. Goods-producing industries declined, largely due to pressure from cheap labor abroad. And this was more than a decade before China entered the picture. Construction (the beginning of the house-flipping era), printing and publishing, and IT were the only bright spots. We all know what happened to the first two. The last sector is the only one America still dominates but despite continuing to generate great wealth, it does not directly employ many people.

2. The service sector was the primary driver of jobs growth: wholesale and retail trade and distribution, "eating and drinking places" (i.e., the Olive Gardens and Applebees that constitute the US culinary landscape and which have no potential to create wealth), retail stores, and the two large categories of business and health services. Among the top 5 growing industries were "computer and data processing services" and "mortgage bankers and brokers". Starting to sound familiar...

By far, the industry that created the most jobs was "eating and drinking places", by a factor of 2 greater than the runners-up, "misc. business services" and "grocery stores". The 1980's were the decade that America began to dissipate what wealth it had built up on foreign-made trinkets, creating the illusion of economic growth. Maybe that's what you mean when you say imagination?

Wages growth slumped during the 1980's even as productivity increased. See Figure 1 on page 171 here. Meanwhile, consumer debt crept up through the decade (although it really took off in the mid 90's) and credit cards finally went mainstream and became profitable.

Basically, the 80's were characterized by the giant sucking sound of Americans emptying their wallets. They were not a template for any sort of a functioning, sustainable economy. As far as ideas go, you had nothing then and you've got nothing now.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: If citing the 1980's recovery, which was attributable to a Carter-appointee
CS says it was Reagan buying tanks. Hopefully you guys can get together and work that out.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

I don't think he sees himself as arguing on behalf of any "team" (and neither do I, really). And while he may be wrong on the cause of the 80's illusion, he's certainly correct that the economy of the 80's was particular to that point in time and was not the result of any reproducible policy wizardry conjured up by Reagan and his 'voodoo economics' practitioners.

There just isn't really much to be learned from the 80's and anyway, you were too young back then to understand what was going on.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

By the 80's the US had learned the benefits of controlling a completely fiat reserve currency. Production could be bought abroad for bits of paper, and the internal economy turned to finance.

When a country can trade promises for steel and labor, there is going to be a boom.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It looks like then you've capitulated on all points, and as a result the American people continue to regard Reagan with Washington and Lincoln, as one of the greatest Presidents of all time. The more you lived when he was alive the more you like him, because you saw it all first hand. Greatness, American greatness.

Now as for you it is time to apologize for your lies and false charges.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote:It looks like then you've capitulated on all points,
If by "capitulated" you mean "defeated you" with facts, which you have been unable to refute, then yes, yes I did!
and as a result the American people continue to regard Reagan with Washington and Lincoln, as one of the greatest Presidents of all time
Reagan is widely reviled by as much as half of the population. He's certainly no Washington or Lincoln. And there is a persistent core of conservative Republicans and libertarians today who blame Lincoln and his pesky desire to maintain the integrity of the Union for laying the groundwork for the destruction of America as the Founding Fathers envisioned it. I don't claim to understand them.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:By the 80's the US had learned the benefits of controlling a completely fiat reserve currency. Production could be bought abroad for bits of paper, and the internal economy turned to finance.

When a country can trade promises for steel and labor, there is going to be a boom.
Fiat currency had been around for a long time. By the 1980's, the rest of the world was finally largely rebuilt from the destruction and dislocation wrought by Western imperialism and two world wars.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Zack Morris wrote:And there is a persistent core of conservative Republicans and libertarians today who blame Lincoln and his pesky desire to maintain the integrity of the Union for laying the groundwork for the destruction of America as the Founding Fathers envisioned it. I don't claim to understand them.
http://mises.org/daily/4887

Meh.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

YMix wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:And there is a persistent core of conservative Republicans and libertarians today who blame Lincoln and his pesky desire to maintain the integrity of the Union for laying the groundwork for the destruction of America as the Founding Fathers envisioned it. I don't claim to understand them.
http://mises.org/daily/4887

Meh.
Whoomp, there it is! That's exactly what I was referring to. This revisionist pap goes hand in hand with the similarly absurd notion that the Civil War wasn't fundamentally about slavery, a view that is surprisingly widespread among GOP-aligned "intellectuals".
YMix

Post by YMix »

Zack Morris wrote:Whoomp, there it is! That's exactly what I was referring to. This revisionist pap goes hand in hand with the similarly absurd notion that the Civil War wasn't fundamentally about slavery, a view that is surprisingly widespread among GOP-aligned "intellectuals".
Depends on what you mean. Lincoln's centralization is not revisionism. I can recommend this as a decent book on the issue and Koistinen's conclusion was that the Union won precisely because the government centralized power and mobilized the economy, while the Confederacy failed to do so. I'm sure there are many other books on the subject. From the other side of the political spectrum, Gore Vidal held the same opinion, namely that Lincoln was the last president of the "old republic" and the first president of a new and centralized kind of state.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Zack Morris wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:By the 80's the US had learned the benefits of controlling a completely fiat reserve currency. Production could be bought abroad for bits of paper, and the internal economy turned to finance.

Fiat currency had been around for a long time. By the 1980's, the rest of the world was finally largely rebuilt from the destruction and dislocation wrought by Western imperialism and two world wars.
No. Fiat currency as the international reserve currency started when Nixon closed the gold window.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Zack Morris wrote: If by "capitulated" you mean "defeated you" with facts, which you have been unable to refute, then yes, yes I did!
I guess I have to admit defeat. Now you only have to convince 72.99999999999% (see below) of the population. Good luck on your quest.
Reagan is widely reviled by as much as half of the population.
No he isn't. He is only reviled by small number of bitter USSR sympathizers who live in the bunker with you. Zack Morris, when 73% approve of you then that only leads to 27% being available for "reviling", and of course 27% is not half. And only a portion of the 27% "revile". So much for your grasp of "facts".
http://www.gallup.com/poll/11887/ronald ... eview.aspx

He's certainly no Washington or Lincoln.
Yes he certainly is.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/146183/ameri ... ident.aspx

Ahead of Presidents Day 2011, Americans are most likely to say Ronald Reagan was the nation's greatest president -- slightly ahead of Abraham Lincoln and Bill Clinton. Reagan, Lincoln, or John F. Kennedy has been at the top of this "greatest president" list each time this question has been asked in eight surveys over the last 12 years.
Hopefully you are getting some oxygen in your bunker.
And there is a persistent core of conservative Republicans and libertarians today who blame Lincoln and his pesky desire to maintain the integrity of the Union for laying the groundwork for the destruction of America as the Founding Fathers envisioned it. I don't claim to understand them.
I think you understand them very well. I think you wuld like it if the South was a different country.

You see Zack Morris, you are becoming a neocon Republican, like McCain and Rand Paul.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

I like how you've derailed the thread into an argument about how high Reagan scores in popularity contests. Anything to avoid shining light on the unsustainable, debt-fueled, underclass-creating economy of the 80's.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well it was the easiest way I could think of to illustrate how poorly you grasp facts. And your grasp of economics is worse than easily accessed commonly known polling data. Lo info bunker living does bite you in the end Zack Morris.

Look up how much debt and underclass obama created compared to Reagan and get back to me. We won't even get to sustainable.

And far past time for you to apologize for your lies and false charges.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Look up how much debt and underclass obama created compared to Reagan and get back to me. We won't even get to sustainable.
Zack may not have internet access in the bunker, so as someone living in a fact rich zone I'll go ahead and do it.

Total debt increase under Reagan= 1.9 trillion
Total debt increase under W Bush= 4 trillion
Total debt increase under obama= 10 trillion by end of term, more than all Presidents previous combined. "Spending our way out of bankruptcy". Financial genius Joe Biden. Remember obama said 4 trillion was unpatriotic.

Let me know if you have trouble finding obama years vs Reagan years. obama's years are actually worse than on this chart.

As for underclass. Hoosier, let me know if you have trouble reading this graph. Please compare Reagan years to obama years, as per your article. Seems to me that even Olive Garden jobs from Carter appointees would be better than this.

In case the graph is confusing, here are some typed words.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/ali ... 6-year-low
A record 92,269,000 Americans 16 and older did not participate in the labor force in August, as the labor force participation rate matched a 36-year low of 62.8 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The labor force participation rate has been as low as 62.8 percent in six of the last twelve months, but prior to last October had not fallen that low since 1978.
Zack Morris, if you can please share this information on underclass creation with your bunker mates.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-l ... tml#page=1
Long-term unemployed still at record levels.

The number and share of people out of work for more than six months, the so-called long-term unemployed, remain at historically high levels.

Of the 3 million long-term jobless today, about one-third have been unemployed for more than two years, Labor Department data show. A small minority — roughly 100,000 Americans like Perry — have been actively looking for at least five years.

They might be called the super long-term unemployed. While others have quit looking, taken early retirement or entered disability rolls, these workers have pressed on year after year despite the increasingly long odds of finding a new job.
After almost 6 years of obama the shovel man spending our way out of bankruptcy.

So on the subject of facts, please take some time to absorb, and understand them./
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

On sustainability. This is what the CBO has to say.

http://www.gop.com/news/research/cbo-co ... -reformed/
The Nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) Warned Tuesday That The Long-Term Outlook For The National Debt Remains Dire, Despite A Near-Term Drop In The Deficit That Has Been Lauded By The Obama Administration.”

Because Federal Debt Is Already Unusually High Relative To GDP, Further Increases In Debt Could Be Especially Harmful

Unless Changes Are Made, “Additional Spending Would Contribute To Rising Budget Deficits Starting In A Few Years, Causing Federal Debt To Swell From A Level That Is Already Very High Relative To The Size Of The Economy.”

By 2038, The “Trajectory For Federal Debt Would Ultimately Be Unsustainable".
Please pass this common knowledge around the bunker.
Last edited by Mr. Perfect on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Here are some real time consequences of these factual realities. If even the Huffington Post is getting this data one wonders how tight the bunker is down in there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/3 ... 00284.html
Americans with the strongest opinions about the country's most divisive issues are largely unhappy with how President Barack Obama is handling them, an ominous sign for Democrats hoping to retain control of Congress in the fall elections.

In nine of 15 issues examined in an Associated Press-GfK Poll this month, more Americans who expressed intense interest in a problem voiced strong opposition to Obama's work on it, including the economy, unemployment, federal deficits and terrorism. They were about evenly split over the president's efforts on five issues and strongly approved of his direction on just one: U.S. relationships with other countries.

In another danger sign for Democrats, most Americans extremely concerned about 10 of the issues say they will vote for the Republican candidate in their local House race. Only those highly interested in the environment lean toward the Democrats.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

More data from reality. The economic numbers are the relevant here but lots of other interesting facts in here also.
Republicans lead on their traditional issues too, such as national defense (+38) and the federal deficit (+18), both highs for this series — but those issues are more relevant in polling. Even more relevant than those are the economy, for which Republicans have a +10 advantage. In the 2006 midterms, Democrats had a +13 advantage. On taxes, Republicans have a narrow edge at +4. On the issues that matter most to voters in this cycle — the economy, taxes, national security — Republicans are peaking while Democrats are fading.

Even more surprising is a new Republican edge on immigration. That has flipped from a D+5 to an R+7 over the last nine months, no doubt fueled by the present border crisis and the lack of action to stem it from the Obama administration.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

ZM and Mr. P. Argue all you want, but don't make it personal. Keep it civil.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Zack Morris wrote: If citing the 1980's recovery, which was attributable to a Carter-appointee
CS says it was Reagan buying tanks. Hopefully you guys can get together and work that out.
I would never join a team that would accept me as a member . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Total debt increase under Reagan= 1.9 trillion
Total debt increase under W Bush= 4 trillion
Total debt increase under obama= 10 trillion by end of term, more than all Presidents previous combined. "Spending our way out of bankruptcy". Financial genius Joe Biden. Remember obama said 4 trillion was unpatriotic.
What does this have to do with Reagan-era policies, their impact on the economy then, and their usefulness now? Nothing. The national debt is not yet having any meaningful impact on the US economy and investment therein. Interest rates are at historic lows globally. There is no inflation. The United States remains the preferred destination for foreign and domestic investment dollars by a wide margin.

Will the debt have an impact down the road? Probably. When? No one knows for sure, but not in the near term given the relatively inferior shape of the rest of the world.

If anything, the US is awash with access to cheap money to finance new ventures as evidenced by the frothy technology sector and the booming oil/natural gas sector. A reduction in the deficit and the debt are not pertinent to this particular discussion because these things did not happen under Reagan, either.
A 3% drop resulting from the worst recession since the 1940's, just as the baby boomers head toward retirement. What inferences can be drawn from this regarding Reagan-style policies (whatever those are, because you've sure failed to demonstrate a grasp of the 1980's economy) will have to be spelled out to me. Reagan didn't face this sort of a situation. And given the nature of business cycles, it will take years for this to correct itself even if all the "right" steps are taken.

Here's the labor force participation rate in better context:
latest_numbers_LNS11300000_1970_2014_all_period_M08_data.gif
latest_numbers_LNS11300000_1970_2014_all_period_M08_data.gif (5.85 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
I got this directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Why did you truncate your plot? Between January 1976 and 1980, the participation rate grew by 2.7%. Between 1980 and 1990, it grew by 2.8%. By your logic, Carter puts Reagan to shame and the 1970's were the best of times in Amerca. And note the very clear inflection point during the 1990's, well before W. and Obama. Do you understand why this happened and why the upward trend in labor force participation peaked?

Now that I've demolished your argument, let's stick to the point.
The number and share of people out of work for more than six months, the so-called long-term unemployed, remain at historically high levels.

Of the 3 million long-term jobless today, about one-third have been unemployed for more than two years, Labor Department data show. A small minority — roughly 100,000 Americans like Perry — have been actively looking for at least five years.

They might be called the super long-term unemployed. While others have quit looking, taken early retirement or entered disability rolls, these workers have pressed on year after year despite the increasingly long odds of finding a new job.
All true but none of it reinforces your point. I posted a very detailed and purely factual analysis of the 1980's economy showing that there was nothing remarkable about that one-trick pony. The 1980's were an era of wage stagnation, low-skill retail and food industry job growth, and a one-time expansion in trade and wholesale driven by importing technology from Japan and cheap goods from elsewhere.

The 1980's were the era of strip malls, shopping malls, and retail stores: KMart, Walmart, Shopco, Mervyn's, Circuit City, Marshall's, Ross, Sears, etc., etc., etc. Many of these are now defunct because the factory-to-consumer pipeline has been decimated by the Internet, which continues to thrive in the United States.