Walter Williams's Social Security Solution

Interested in trading social security benefits for 40 acres of land in Alaska or Nevada?

Yes
10%
No
10%
Maybe
20%
Only in Alaska
No votes
Only in Nevada
No votes
Depends on where the land is........ Especially how close to a road my land is to be.........
20%
I want a mule too
10%
Mule?.... I want a new pickup truck too
30%

Total votes: 10

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Walter Williams's Social Security Solution

Post by monster_gardener »

Walter Williams was subbing for Rush Limbaugh today. He mentioned his solution/temp fix for Social Security........

Offering Senior Citizens willing to give up their social security benefits between 40 to 100 acres of government land in places like Nevada and Alaska......

Williams claims that he is willing to do this......... no matter where the land is located...........
I believe that a person who is 65 years old and has been forced into Social Security is owed something. But the question is, Who owes it to him?

Congress has spent every penny of his Social Security “contribution.”

Young workers have no obligation to be fleeced in order to make up for the dishonesty and dereliction of Congress.

The tragedy is that most seniors just want their money and couldn’t care less about whom Congress takes it from.

Here’s what might be a temporary fix: The federal government owns huge quantities of wasting assets — assets that are not producing anything — 650 million acres of land, almost 30 percent of the land area of the United States.

In exchange for those who choose to opt out of Social Security and forsake any future claim, why not pay them off with 40 or so acres of land? Doing so would give us breathing room to develop a free choice method to finance retirement.

http://lubbockonline.com/editorial-colu ... _ZdA1KBWSo

oYbiMarL2Ps
'I will exchange all of my Social Security payments in the future for a hundred acres of land in Alaska anywhere -- and they can keep the mule they promised my ancestors'
Not sure about the idea.........

Reminds me of the old homesteading program.......... Little House on the Prairie / Laura Ingalls Wilder/Melissa Gilbert ;) etc.........

Except with old folks doing the homesteading... :shock: :lol: .............
What would probably happen is that it would get sold or given to the younger folks.......

Also reminds of what I read happened in San Diego after a Republican Mayor overspent the City into a financial crisis hosting the Republican National Convention some years ago....... Had to sell off a lot of City owned land to solve it........ IIRC parks/parts there of........
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Alph

Re: Walter Williams's Social Security Solution

Post by Alph »

Good idea.

I'd accept that. And it would spur economic development.

But it won't happen because it would hurt land prices.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Forty acres of raw land up here in Alaska is no country for old men.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Marcus wrote:Forty acres of raw land up here in Alaska is no country for old men.
I was about to say that. I don't think Walt has been to either place. He has no idea.

Alph, damn good to see you. We could use some economic sanity hereabouts.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:Forty acres of raw land up here in Alaska is no country for old men.
It's no country for most young men either.

However, that may be the genius of the proposal.

Solves two societal problems in one swoop :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:
It's no country for most young men either. . .
Who is it who likes to quip that just sayin' something don't make it so? . . . :shock:

Ever been here?

Lotsa folks would disagree with you . . . ;)

JP9dDSqG1h0
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Alph

Post by Alph »

Forty acres is forty acres. It doesn't matter if the recipients live there themselves. Plenty will sell it to logging concerns, mining concerns, survivalists, digital age frontiersmen or whoever. (I'd take mine in Nevada. It might be a desert, but I can get an air conditioner and a solar panel.)

But none of that matters. What matters is that the government would get that massive overhanging debt off its books and produce some, maybe not a lot but some, economic growth.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
It's no country for most young men either. . .
Who is it who likes to quip that just sayin' something don't make it so? . . . :shock:

Ever been here?

Lotsa folks would disagree with you . . . ;)

. . .
I suppose one could interpret my comment as you did.

I'll elaborate: most young whose only experience is urban living would find such a place a challenge to survive, let alone thrive.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:. . most young who only experience is urban living would find such a place a challenge to survive, let alone thrive.
With that caveat in mind, I couldn't agree more . . this country can kill you in a New York second if you forget where you are . .
The Law Of The Yukon

This is the law of the Yukon, and ever she makes it plain:
"Send not your foolish and feeble; send me your strong and your sane --
Strong for the red rage of battle; sane for I harry them sore;
Send me men girt for the combat, men who are grit to the core;
Swift as the panther in triumph, fierce as the bear in defeat,
Sired of a bulldog parent, steeled in the furnace heat.
Send me the best of your breeding, lend me your chosen ones;
Them will I take to my bosom, them will I call my sons;
Them will I gild with my treasure, them will I glut with my meat;
But the others -- the misfits, the failures -- I trample under my feet.
Dissolute, damned and despairful, crippled and palsied and slain,
Ye would send me the spawn of your gutters -- Go! take back your spawn again.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

WTF are a bunch of old bastards with diabetes going to do with 40 acres of uninhabitable Nevada desert?
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:WTF are a bunch of old bastards with diabetes going to do with 40 acres of uninhabitable Nevada desert?
Die, one presumes.

Thereby solving the government's boomer healthcare and retirement obligations with one swoop.

Alph does have a point regarding leasing the land for mineral rights, lumbering, farming, etc.

However, this would probably only apply to a small fraction of the land, akin to winning the lottery.
Juggernaut Nihilism

Post by Juggernaut Nihilism »

Typhoon wrote:
Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:WTF are a bunch of old bastards with diabetes going to do with 40 acres of uninhabitable Nevada desert?
Die, one presumes.

Thereby solving the government's boomer healthcare and retirement obligations with one swoop.

Alph does have a point regarding leasing the land for mineral rights, lumbering, farming, etc.

However, this would probably only apply to a small fraction of the land, akin to winning the lottery.
If there were minerals to be had in the wasteland northeast of Vegas, our government would have already sold it for $1.00 to some asshole with a lobbyist or two. Alaska maybe, but I'm certain the government would survey the land before assigning it, to avoid accusations of unfairne... why are we even talking about this? It will never happen and should only exist as an opening to several jokes that end with horrible things happening to old people, and involving bears or gila monsters.
"The fundamental rule of political analysis from the point of psychology is, follow the sacredness, and around it is a ring of motivated ignorance."
Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

I wonder where one would get water in the Nevada desert?
monster_gardener

Somes from Deep Wells.....

Zack Morris wrote:I wonder where one would get water in the Nevada desert?

Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack.

Sometimes from a well pulling from more than 100 feet below...........
monster_gardener

Bright & Unusual Minds... Bears, Bares, Bars & Gila Monsters

Juggernaut Nihilism wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Die, one presumes.

If there were minerals to be had in the wasteland northeast of Vegas, our government would have already sold it for $1.00 to some asshole with a lobbyist or two. Alaska maybe, but I'm certain the government would survey the land before assigning it, to avoid accusations of unfairne... why are we even talking about this? It will never happen and should only exist as an opening to several jokes that end with horrible things happening to old people, and involving bears or gila monsters.

Thank You Very Much for Your Post, Juggernaut.
why are we even talking about this?
Because I wanted to get the opinions of IMVHO some of the Brightest and perhaps most Unusual Minds on the Web for which I thank all who have contributed......

several jokes that end with horrible things happening to old people, and involving bears or gila monsters.
I've heard lots of jokes about Bears/Bares/Bars ;) ......... but I am very low on jokes about Gila Monsters ;) ......

Maybe we should work on some...........

Hmmmmnnnnnnnnn

Name one good thing about Gila Hank the Gila Monster......

He supports the 2nd Amendment........ ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Iq0rZn8HFmQ
Nastarana

Re: Somes from Deep Wells.....

Post by Nastarana »

monster_gardener wrote:
Zack Morris wrote:I wonder where one would get water in the Nevada desert?

Thank you Very Much for your post, Zack.

Sometimes from a well pulling from more than 100 feet below...........
You set up as many garbage barrels around your property as you can get your hands on. Then you spend your winter shovelling snow into same, hoping for enough water to irrigate your summer garden. Then the yuppie transplants running your city and/or county govt. make snow saving illegal because it lowers the water table. Never mind that irrigation of gardens causes the water to sink right back into the land.