COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Simple Minded »

Reminds me of the coroner in Colorado who found out two people she pronounced as dying due to gunshot wounds were counted as COVID deaths.

Perverse financial incentives at play.

In the meantime, don't question the "Science." Especially when a politician tells you that questioning science is a bad thing. That's not what good proles, scientists, or rational people do....

https://www.westernjournal.com/mn-senat ... med-covid/
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:18 pm coronavirus-data-explorer.png

Colonel Sun, would you care to speculate as to why Japan's death rate is so low?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Apollonius wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Colonel Sun, would you care to speculate as to why Japan's death rate is so low?
Speculation.
Early and strict border closure.
Early adoption of the ubiquitous wearing of masks.

Shibuya crossing, the busiest pedestrian crossing in Tokyo:
lkIJYc4UH60

Detection of COVID-19 hotspots, contact tracing, and quarantine of those potentially affected.
No tradition of personal physical contact in business and social settings: shaking hands, hugging, Euro-kissing, etc.

One would think that given the high percentage of elderly, Japan would have been more impacted.
However, comorbidities such as obesity and diabetes are much less prevalent. Perhaps this is a factor. Who knows?

Finally, COVID-19 is perceived as being a health issue, not a political/cultural issue.

Having said that, the number of cases has been steadily increasing.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:51 am
Apollonius wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Speculation.

Shibuya crossing, the busiest pedestrian crossing in Tokyo:
lkIJYc4UH60

Detection of COVID-19 hotspots, contact tracing, and quarantine of those potentially affected.
No tradition of personal contact in business and social settings: shaking hands, hugging, Euro-kissing, etc.

One would think that given the high percentage of elderly, Japan would have been more impacted.
However, comorbidities such as obesity and diabetes are much less prevalent. Perhaps this is a factor. Who knows?

Finally, COVID-19 is perceived as being a health issue, not a political/cultural issue.

Having said that, the number of cases has been steadily increasing.
Thanks for posting CS. Those all sound like reasonable speculations to me.

Over here, I think our intellectual/political have decided that COVID is way too convenient, useful, and profitable to allow the science/medical professionals to have much of a say in how to deal with it.

COVID reaction in the US reminds me of the IRS using tax code to implement social engineering.

Once the tool is in your toolbox, might as well use it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

these are the 2 things Australia did as well, for similar results.

we also have new fresh runaway problems in the 2 most populous states but its all looking good to get us through to the Vax.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png
coronavirus-data-explorer.png (5.11 MiB) Viewed 1358 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

The most dangerous place to be to get covid is in your home

https://www.cdc.gov/library/covid19/121 ... pdate.html
Transmission heterogeneities, kinetics, and controllability of SARS-CoV-2external icon. Sun et al. Science (November 24, 2020).

Key findings:

Contact tracing in Hunan, China between January 16 and April 23, 2020 showed that 80% of secondary infections were traced back to 15% of SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals.
210 clusters were identified, representing 831 (71%) of cases.
Risk of transmission was associated with the type of contact, length of exposure, and timing of symptom onset (Figure).
Household contacts pose the highest risk of transmission before (aOR 2.20, 95% CI 1.39-3.49) and after (aOR 3.79, 95% CI 2.47-5.79) implementation of social distancing.
Healthcare contacts pose the lowest risk of transmission before (OR 0.15, 95% CI 0.03-0.68) and after (OR 0.10, 95% CI 0.01-0.90) social distancing.
Models suggest that complete and timely isolation/quarantine are insufficient, without other measures, to achieve pandemic control.

Methods: Records were linked from 1,178 SARS-CoV-2 patients and 15,648 of their close contacts with detailed exposure diaries collected via contact tracing to reconstruct transmission chains and identify epidemiologic clusters before and after lockdown began on January 25, 2020. The per-contact risk of transmission, with contact type, duration, symptoms, demographic factors, and different outbreak periods as covariates were modeled. The impact of population-level physical distancing, contact tracing, and timeliness of isolation/quarantine was also assessed. Limitations: Cluster investigation did not include genetic sequencing; estimates may not be generalizable.

Implications: Additional mitigation efforts may be advised within households while one or more members are in quarantine or isolation. Achieving SARS-CoV-2 pandemic control will require the synergistic efforts of case isolation, contact quarantine, and other population-level interventions.

Figure:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

doc,

Impressive amount of data, but using the CDC as a source? and the CDC using information from China as a source?

I remember when the "stay at home" lockdowns first started I told my wife "Theses mayors and governors who are telling people to stay at home have no idea whatsoever what the air quality is like in Fred's apartment building compared to the air quality in Fred's work place. Not much basis for making a sound decision."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:29 pm doc,

Impressive amount of data, but using the CDC as a source? and the CDC using information from China as a source?

I remember when the "stay at home" lockdowns first started I told my wife "Theses mayors and governors who are telling people to stay at home have no idea whatsoever what the air quality is like in Fred's apartment building compared to the air quality in Fred's work place. Not much basis for making a sound decision."
Yes you did say something to that effect.. My problem at the time was that the CCP-Virus was, at the time, a completely unknown quantity because the CCP was not releasing information about it. Even lying about. Like maybe it is all part of their 5th dimensional warfare. The evidence for that is not beyond doubt But there is more evidence than ever that it is true.

However I did not call for mandatory lock downs. I did not call for people being arrested because they **might be** infected with the CCP-virus. Like is being done in LA(900 people so far removed from parties being held inside private homes) and Maryland and the NY legislature is trying to do in NY IE arrest people for **Possibly** being infected for any communicable disease that could cause someone somewhere to die and hold them indefinitely until it is proven they are not infected.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Every now and then, you encounter someone who looks like a walking potential COVID-19 fatality....

https://www.ibtimes.sg/cosmopolitan-acc ... d-19-54650
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:22 pm Every now and then, you encounter someone who looks like a walking potential COVID-19 fatality....

So when can we expect Twitter and Facebook to cancel the accounts of Cosmopolitan for spreading false COVID-1984 info?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (5.11 MiB) Viewed 1277 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:22 pm Every now and then, you encounter someone who looks like a walking potential COVID-19 fatality....

Aside from increased risk of serious complications from COVID-19, obesity leads a wide range of serious health risks.

US CDC | Health Risks of Being Overweight.

share-of-deaths-obesity.png
share-of-deaths-obesity.png (4.91 MiB) Viewed 1275 times
death-rate-from-obesity.png
death-rate-from-obesity.png (5.64 MiB) Viewed 1275 times

It is another bizarre aspect of the current [US] culture that obesity is being rationalized.

In Japan, being overweight and obese is still quite rare.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Obesity rates between the US and Canada are very similar. COVID death rate in US is 2.5 times higher than Canada?

I wonder if Canada is offering financial incentives to claim co-morbidity deaths as COVID deaths.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm Obesity rates between the US and Canada are very similar. COVID death rate in US is 2.5 times higher than Canada?

I wonder if Canada is offering financial incentives to claim co-morbidity deaths as COVID deaths.
Or perhaps the Canucks are wearing masks and avoid close social interactions more.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:50 pm
Simple Minded wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:00 pm Obesity rates between the US and Canada are very similar. COVID death rate in US is 2.5 times higher than Canada?

Or perhaps the Canucks are wearing masks and avoid close social interactions more.
That's possible. Perhaps a "business deal done on a handshake" isn't a tradition up there, or just due to colder weather, thicker clothes, culture, etc.

A friend postulated that it was due to Canada being less sparsely populated. Could be, but most of their population is within 100 miles of the US border.

It would be fascinating to see COVID deaths broken down by zip code and correlated to gun violence, immigrant population, education, income, and population density.

I wonder if violent criminals are canonized in Canada.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NYC, smallpox, 1947: Come get your shot.

NYC, COVID-19, 2021: Fill out this convoluted online form, up to 51 questions, upload your insurance card, alphabetize your utensil drawer, and sing the entirety of "Kashmir" into your phone, in Hungarian.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm

NYC, COVID-19, 2021: Fill out this convoluted online form, up to 51 questions, upload your insurance card, alphabetize your utensil drawer, and sing the entirety of "Kashmir" into your phone, in Hungarian.
In comparison to California NY is doing great.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/californi ... -across-us
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm

IIRC, in 1947 they vaccinated 6 million people in 30 days. Then again, in the olden days, they built the Empire State Building in 420 days.

13 days after the election, NYC had only counted 60% of the votes cast.

Priorities:
1. Count votes.
2. Get Trump out of office.
3. Eliminate the more important epidemic of social injustice.
4. Paint Black Lives Matter on streets.
5. Tear down statues.
6. Vaccinate against COVID.

Nothing good happens by accident. Ya gotta have a plan!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (5.12 MiB) Viewed 1160 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

coronavirus-data-explorer.png (5.16 MiB) Viewed 1110 times
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Trump is gone, and within a week:

Big Dem cities decide it is now ok to open restaurants and bars.

The WHO cautions about the high false positive rate of PCR COVID tests

The Lancet retracts and reverses study on hydrochloroquine, saying it is a safe, inexpensive and effective cure for COVID.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:42 pm Trump is gone, and within a week:

. . .

The Lancet retracts and reverses study on hydrochloroquine, saying it is a safe, inexpensive and effective cure for COVID.
Reference and direct link to "The Lancet" please.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

2021 - Nov - 23 | 4:22 PM EST

Global deaths attributed to COVID-19: 2,116,101

Between neonatal disorders and digestive diseases.

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png (607.2 KiB) Viewed 1090 times

US deaths attributed to COVID-19: 416,735

Between dementia and cancers.

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png (551.15 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

"Most of them will have lung disease caused by COVID-19," he told MedPage Today, "but in a significant proportion of people who have positive COVID-19 testing in life, they will die of another pathology. I had a person with type 2 diabetes who was unable to get his insulin and he basically died from diabetes ketoacidosis. Even though he had tested positive for COVID-19, his death was deemed to be a diabetic death, not a COVID-19 death."
"Autopsy has played an important role in the COVID-19 pandemic almost from the very start of the pandemic," Williamson said. "Autopsy informs our understanding of disease, ensures that the therapies that we are employing medically and surgically are effective in targeting and dealing with the diseases. Autopsies provide important information for families so they can understand what happened to their loved ones and proceed through the grieving process and hopefully come to closure. Autopsy also plays a vital role in quality assurance of medical care, and autopsy plays a very important role in assuring accurate public health data in terms of death certification."
https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/cap/89142

They have to be careful. Devaluating the metric of determination is like devaluating the currency. Once you fudge the line between 'death with' and 'death from' Factor X, you can't go back........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........