Mainstream and social media matters

Doc

Re: Mainstream and social media matters

Post by Doc »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/candace- ... =mattwalsh
Candace Owens Suing Facebook Fact-Checkers For Defamation: ‘Not Going To Give Up And Sit Down’

Earlier this month, conservative author and commentator Candace Owens announced that she’s connected with big-name lawyers to sue Facebook fact-checkers, who allegedly flag “misinformation.”

“It is time to fact-check the fact-checkers,” Owens said in a video posted to Twitter. “I’m going to put these suckers through discovery and figure out what the relationship is that they have with Facebook.”

Giving an example of the censorship, Owens said one of her “opinions” concerning coronavirus, which was initially shared by a doctor, was “fact-checked” by the platform’s third party arbiters.

“Quite literally a doctor gave his opinion about COVID-19, which I shared, and Facebook issued a strike on my account because they said only information that they agree with about COVID-19 … was acceptable,” she said, as reported by Fox News.

Owens noted that the fact-checking led to her Facebook page being demonetized.

“I decided I was not going to give up and sit down,” she told her supporters, vowing to always use her platform to fight. “The fact-checkers … they are activists for the Left that shut down your speech if they don’t like it.”

The BLEXIT founder launched her own legal website to raise funds for the pricey battle.

“Our freedoms are being stripped away,” the site reads. “The overlords of Big Tech are determining what Americans can and cannot say, share, like, and post. Support our legal efforts today as we fight back against Facebook’s fact-checkers, confronting those who are suppressing free speech, thought, and expression across our great country.”

Facebook back in 2016 launched its third-party fact-checking programs back in 2016 to weed out supposed “disinformation,” though conservatives have time and again highlighted the strongly liberal bend of the fact-checkers.

“The fact-checkers apply ratings to content that range from ‘false,’ ‘altered’ and ‘missing context,'” Fox explains. “When such ratings are applied, Facebook may either reduce its distribution or add labels to notify users about additional reporting elsewhere.”

In one recent egregious case of biased censorship from Big Tech, for example, stories critical of the family of Democratic nominee Joe Biden from the New York Post were granted limited reach on Facebook and outright blocked from being shared or direct messaged on Twitter.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Glenn Greenwald | Demanding Silicon Valley Suppress “Hyper-Partisan Sites” in Favor of “Mainstream News” (The NYT) is a Fraud
The corporate news organizations masquerading as reliable and non-partisan are, in fact, as hyper-partisan as any sites on the internet, and spread as much misinformation.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Solomon Islands bans facebook.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-23/ ... y/12910786
The temporary ban will stay in place until laws can be passed that would govern user behaviour on Facebook.

It is not the first time a Pacific government has threatened to block the social media site — leaders in Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Samoa have all considered the same approach.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:41 am Solomon Islands bans facebook.

The temporary ban will stay in place until laws can be passed that would govern user behaviour on Facebook.

It is not the first time a Pacific government has threatened to block the social media site — leaders in Papua New Guinea, Fiji and Samoa have all considered the same approach.
Is it just me, or does censorship seem to be a virus spread by the Internet?

After people open up social media accounts, it seems one of the most popular things to do is cancel other people. Kinda Ironic.

Remember the good ole days, when you and I both cancelled each other, and neither one of us knew about it?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:44 pm
noddy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:41 am Solomon Islands bans facebook.

Is it just me, or does censorship seem to be a virus spread by the Internet?

After people open up social media accounts, it seems one of the most popular things to do is cancel other people. Kinda Ironic.

Remember the good ole days, when you and I both cancelled each other, and neither one of us knew about it?
it appears most countries are held together by ignorance at how much all the various sub cultures actually dislike each other.

social media removes those doubts.

the old media always filtered that stuff out as socially irresponsible, I doubt its going to remain free for all and abusive for much longer.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:33 am
it appears most countries are held together by ignorance at how much all the various sub cultures actually dislike each other.

social media removes those doubts.

the old media always filtered that stuff out as socially irresponsible, I doubt its going to remain free for all and abusive for much longer.
yep.

There's hating, there's indifference, and then there is "in yer face/you need to change" activism cause I care so much about "we."

Not much different than the good ole days of religious wars, when my god said "in order to be a good person I need to kill or covert the Unbelievers!"

"familiarity breeds contempt." "Absence makes the heart grow stronger." "When ignorance is bliss, it's folly to be wise."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

then there is the existential philosophical aspect.

If I tweet/post, and no one responds, agrees, disagrees, or cancels me, do I really exist?

the gods of the internet are the cruelest gods of them all.....
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:30 pm then there is the existential philosophical aspect.

If I tweet/post, and no one responds, agrees, disagrees, or cancels me, do I really exist?

the gods of the internet are the cruelest gods of them all.....
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | The Hunter Biden Business
The story the press ignored returns in time for Joe’s Presidency.
So Hunter Biden’s business is news after all. Who knew? Well, the New York Post did, and so did we and a few others.

But in October when the Post broke the story of an email, allegedly from Hunter Biden’s laptop, referring to a meeting he’d arranged between his father and an executive from a Ukrainian energy company, Democrats and most of the press told Americans it was Russian disinformation. The story was banned on Twitter. But with the election over, presto, even CNN’s Jake Tapper is a born-again bloodhound.

That is itself a scandal. When the younger Mr. Biden’s business relationships first surfaced—e.g., his highly paid position on the Burisma corporate board, despite no background in Ukraine or energy—it should have provoked serious reporting. Instead, the people who spent years claiming Donald Trump was a Russian agent ignored much stronger evidence that the younger Mr. Biden had been getting rich on his father’s name. He sometimes traveled to business meetings as a tag-along with his Vice President dad on Air Force II.

These latest reports are no surprise to Sens. Ron Johnson and Chuck Grassley, the chairmen of investigating Senate committees. In September they released a joint report detailing some of Hunter’s million-dollar dealings with politically connected foreigners. The report said they raised “serious counterintelligence and extortion concerns relating to Hunter Biden and his family.”

The press yawned. One who did not was our Kimberley Strassel. On Oct. 22 she wrote a column headlined “The Biden ‘Family Legacy,’” based on email and texts between Hunter and business partner Tony Bobulinski that suggest Joe Biden’s son knew exactly what he was cashing in on. At one point he reminded Mr. Bobulinksi that the heads of CEFC China Energy, a Shanghai-based conglomerate closely entwined with the Chinese government, are “coming to be MY partner to be partners with the Bidens.”

The story is impossible to ignore now that Hunter admitted Wednesday that the U.S. Attorney in Delaware “is investigating my tax affairs.” Other news outlets report the investigation is broader than taxes, covering subjects from securities fraud to money laundering. The investigation began in 2018, yet Hunter has been spared the leaks that plagued every investigation into Donald Trump’s finances and dealings. Credit to the Trump FBI and Justice Department for not leaking.

Hunter Biden says he did nothing wrong and an examination will clear his name. His father issued a statement saying, essentially, that he loves and trusts his son. No doubt. But even the press corps may awaken from its partisan slumbers to wonder if Hunter broke any laws or made himself vulnerable to influence or blackmail by adversaries such as China. The matter will certainly complicate life for whomever Mr. Biden nominates to be his Attorney General.
Doc

Post by Doc »

PTPreIUN2g0

Sears is hilarious. Dozens of like video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AwakenWithJP/videos
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Greenwald | How Silicon Valley, in a Show of Monopolistic Force, Destroyed Parler
In the last three months, tech giants have censored political speech and journalism to manipulate U.S. politics, while liberals, with virtual unanimity, have cheered.
It looked as if Parler had proven critics of Silicon Valley monopolistic power wrong. Their success showed that it was possible after all to create a new social media platform to compete with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And they did so by doing exactly what Silicon Valley defenders long insisted should be done: if you don’t like the rules imposed by tech giants, go create your own platform with different rules.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I heard just a few minutes of an interview with Edwin Black today. Fascinating and scary.

He is comparing what is happening to day to the rise of the Nazi's in Germany.

He noted that now the technology exists to perform most of the Holocaust virtually.

People can now be forced into virtual ghettos.

https://edwinblack.com/index.php?page=10168
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

@jack is the giant - Peter Wood, The Spectator, 12 January 2021
https://spectator.us/jack-dorsey-twitter-giant/

.. But where does Mr Dorsey get the authority to control our conversations? Who does he think he is, a college president?

... There are places that Americans have come to accept where it is inadvisable to think independent thoughts or to say disagreeable things. We call those places institutions of higher education, and it makes perfect sense that those who seek to explore the higher reaches (or the lower depths) of learning should be sheltered from the opinions of those who have not mastered the intricacies of critical race theory, intersectionality and other transcendental truths.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 am I heard just a few minutes of an interview with Edwin Black today. Fascinating and scary.

He is comparing what is happening to day to the rise of the Nazi's in Germany.

He noted that now the technology exists to perform most of the Holocaust virtually.

People can now be forced into virtual ghettos.

https://edwinblack.com/index.php?page=10168
REALLY? YA THINK?

A meme I made 4/26/2016

134qhs.jpg
134qhs.jpg (151.99 KiB) Viewed 7075 times
I had another with the same picture "The Original SJW" but I can't find it. Not that Hitler was actually the original just to make the point that he was an SJW

The original reason I started looking at Progressive Ideas, actions, and Eugenics, Fascism and comparing with today was Black. Seems like someone posted about Black on the Spengler forum. It might have even been me.

Black got my attention as I am sensitive to the subject due to my History of WWII course in college taught by survivor, at the age of 12, of a Nazi death camp. Plus another course in Post WWII history by the guy that wrote the definitive book on the Kent State Massacre. His lectures on the nature of propaganda were excellent
EXPLOSIVE AND STUNNING. An explosive book… Backed by exhaustive research, Black’s case is simple and stunning: that IBM facilitated the identification and roundup of millions of Jews during the 12 years of the Third Reich… Black’s evidence may be the most damning to appear yet against a purported corporate accomplice.
– Michael Hirsh, Newsweek

BEYOND DISPUTE. Black clearly demonstrates that Nazi Germany employed IBM Hollerith punch-card machines to perform critical tasks in carrying out the Holocaust and the German war effort. He goes on to document that IBM managed to profit from Hitler’s state throughout its existence … Black establishes beyond dispute that IBM Hollerith machines significantly advanced Nazi efforts to exterminate Jewry … IBM and the Holocaust is a valuable contribution to our understanding of the Holocaust.
– Christopher Simpson, Washington Post Book World

SHOCKING. Thomas Watson chose to tabulate the Nazi census, to accept Hitler’s medal, and to fight for control of Dehomag. And he made other equally indefensible choices in his years of doing a profitable business counting Jews for Hitler—choices that are described in IBM and the Holocaust by Edwin Black. This is a shocking book. With the help of more than a hundred researchers working in archives in the U.S., Britain, Germany, France, and Israel, Edwin Black has documented a sordid relationship between this great American company and the Third Reich, one that extended into the war years.
–Jack Beatty, The Atlantic

EXHAUSTIVE RESEARCH. With exhaustive research, Black makes the case that IBM and Watson conspired with Nazi Germany to help automate the genocide of Europe’s Jews … Black’s book is so enlightening [because] it paints a richly textured picture of how a man [Watson], and an entire company, can ignore all sense of morality while not once transgressing the lines of business ethics. If nothing else, this book should be required reading for every first-year MBA student.
–Sam Jaffe, Businessweek

IBM and the Holocaust is the stunning story of IBM’s strategic alliance with Nazi Germany—beginning in 1933, in the first weeks that Hitler came to power, and continuing throughout World War II. As the Third Reich embarked upon its plan of conquest and genocide, IBM and its subsidiaries helped create enabling technologies, step-by-step, from the identification and cataloging programs of the 1930s to the selections of the 1940s.

Only after Jews were identified—a massive and complex task that Hitler wanted done immediately—could they be targeted for efficient asset confiscation, ghettoization, deportation, enslaved labor, and, ultimately, annihilation. It was a cross-tabulation and organizational challenge so monumental, it called for a computer. Of course, in the 1930s no computer existed.

But IBM’s Hollerith punch card technology did exist. Aided by the company’s custom-designed and constantly updated Hollerith systems, Hitler was able to automate his persecution of the Jews. Historians have always been amazed at the speed and accuracy with which the Nazis were able to identify and locate European Jewry. Until now, the pieces of this puzzle have never been fully assembled. The fact is, IBM technology was used to organize nearly everything in Germany and then Nazi Europe, from the identification of the Jews in censuses, registrations, and ancestral tracing programs to the running of railroads and organizing of concentration camp slave labor.

IBM and its German subsidiary custom-designed complex solutions, one by one, anticipating the Reich’s needs. They did not merely sell the machines and walk away. Instead, IBM leased these machines for high fees and became the sole source of the billions of punch cards Hitler needed.

IBM and the Holocaust takes you through the carefully crafted corporate collusion with the Third Reich, as well as the structured deniability of oral agreements, undated letters, and the Geneva intermediaries—all undertaken as the newspapers blazed with accounts of persecution and destruction.

Just as compelling is the human drama of one of our century’s greatest minds, IBM founder Thomas Watson, who cooperated with the Nazis for the sake of profit.

Only with IBM’s technologic assistance was Hitler able to achieve the staggering numbers of the Holocaust. Edwin Black has now uncovered one of the last great mysteries of Germany’s war against the Jews—how did Hitler get the names?
Here is my rule:
If someone tells you to "follow the science" you are most likely talking to a Fascist. AKA a Progressive. 100% if they don't know enough about the science to give a straight answer in answering questions that point to inconsistencies in "the sceince"

is a Progressive-Fascism A fusion of , Pseudo science, Academia, Communism and the highest of the upper class. IE "How to Better Mankind Through Science" Which invokes "The Common Good" as the excuse to do genocide. Eugenics was first practiced in the US at the beginning of the 20th century

"IBM and the Holocaust"

ZyrbDnes5ZY

Here is a video trailer on Black's War Against the Weak" - The Movie
qFqxeeMGIRk

An earlier (youtube) version by the same name but unattributed to Black covering the same subject(I think it was a documentary by college studentsloosley based on Black's book)
IaH0Ws8RtSc

But lets not be hasty in judgement. Let's wait until non woke businesses are required to be clearly identified on their virtual store fronts.

Too many historians blame the German people for that. One of Hitler's first acts in his first 100 days was to federalize all police under the central government. Ad laws after the burning of the reichtstag Police stations were then set up as temporary concentration camps. Anyone that voiced descent against Hitler was arrested. So blaming the German people for supporting Hitler is in a great majority of cases blaming the victims.

The German people lost WWII But the fascists just went under ground. Talk of Eugenics was changed intentionally to things like "Planned Parenthood"
And then "Global Warming"

Today's situation is different because unlike the current establishment the The German Establishment of the early 1930's gave power to Hitler because they thought they could control him. With Biden's decline in mental function plus his ethical problems mean they probably can control him. Some of his statements have indicated that he plans to resign as POTUS at some point due to his "health". If not to be removed under the 25th amendment should he exceed his usefulness but not want to leave office. In either case to be replaced by Kamala "for the people" Harris.

COVID-19 is the new "Global Warming"
"Social credit score" is the IBM new punch card technology
"Woke" is the new "Aryan race"
"free speech" is the new "hate Speech"
Censorship is the new "Free speech"
"War" is the new "Peace"
"Anti-Fascism" is the new "Fascism"

Easy template -- just substitute whatever undesirable label you want for "Moron" and "Feeble Minded" and "Intelligence" As exampled below

https://www.salon.com/2006/03/04/bruinius/
But how do you solve a problem like the moron(racist)? These poor people, for one, weren't easy to spot. "Feeblemindednes("White supremacist")," the medical condition from which morons("Racists) suffered, was chiefly manifested by subtle, difficult-to-diagnose symptoms, such as poor judgment and a susceptibility to deviance. The only way to tell if you were dealing with a certifiable moron(Racist) -- an actual medical term -- was by administering an intelligence("diversity") questionnaire (an early version of the IQ test), which scientists believed could accurately assess a patient's "mental age." Unlike idiots and imbeciles (who were characterized by significant, obvious mental defects), morons("Racist"), who were grown-ups who showed mental ages that were far below their physical maturity, might do well in school, they might hold down jobs, and they might even manage to raise children -- but all this was to be thought of as a ruse, because sooner or later, they'd go astray.
It took Hitler 100 days to go from a parliamentarian democracy to a dictatorship.
So I guess we'll just have to wait for the first 100 days to find out what is in them :roll:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:19 pm Greenwald | How Silicon Valley, in a Show of Monopolistic Force, Destroyed Parler
In the last three months, tech giants have censored political speech and journalism to manipulate U.S. politics, while liberals, with virtual unanimity, have cheered.
It looked as if Parler had proven critics of Silicon Valley monopolistic power wrong. Their success showed that it was possible after all to create a new social media platform to compete with Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And they did so by doing exactly what Silicon Valley defenders long insisted should be done: if you don’t like the rules imposed by tech giants, go create your own platform with different rules.

138311832_239930470873522_2733036696223598476_n.jpg
138311832_239930470873522_2733036696223598476_n.jpg (88.61 KiB) Viewed 7063 times

Enki

Post by Enki »

Has anyone gone back to look at the historical postings where you are all this up in arms when social media was censoring Isis?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Enki wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm Has anyone gone back to look at the historical postings where you are all this up in arms when social media was censoring Isis?
I haven't but I'm sure the same reasoning applies. The devil you know is less dangerous than the one you don't.....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Enki wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm Has anyone gone back to look at the historical postings where you are all this up in arms when social media was censoring Isis?
the market has spoken. apparently.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:51 am
I haven't but I'm sure the same reasoning applies. The devil you know is less dangerous than the one you don't.....'>.......
or... more accurately, "Better the devil you can imagine than the devil you can't imagine, or of which you are ignorant!"
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 am
the market has spoken. apparently.
It's the modern, virtual version of Mutual Assured Destruction or Weapons of Mad Destruction that made the good ole days better than today!

No way, this is not gonna work out well in the long run.

"Peple destroying property and killing people is bad," is now a bi-partisan idea!

No one thought like that when Trump was president.

Some day, we will be able to speak the I-word in public again.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Everyone knows Parler will be back online right?

I love that the guy who runs Pirate Bay is making fun of Parler for being offline. His Twitter threads about it are hilarious. Basically the gist is that his website run by a bunch of junkies and turned off more than any other website in history is still kicking after 20 years. Those Parler dudes are pussies.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 am Everyone knows Parler will be back online right?

I love that the guy who runs Pirate Bay is making fun of Parler for being offline. His Twitter threads about it are hilarious. Basically the gist is that his website run by a bunch of junkies and turned off more than any other website in history is still kicking after 20 years. Those Parler dudes are pussies.
Yeah I heard that one. Junkies say the darnest things. I seem to remember Zack claiming that conservatives have no right to complain about social media's left wing bias and being censored on them. That they should set up their own social media sites. :roll:

Parler may or may not be back on at some point. Probably after Trump has left the White House. It wasvalued at 1 billion dollars before it was deleted from the internet.. As I said previously Twitter just became on of Amazon's biggest customers..... I guess will have to wait for the outcome of the lawsuit. Hopefully that will happen before the Democrats Stack the SCOTUS with 6 more justices as they say they intend to do....

VI-4Bzwm9oI

I was intending to link to another video from Dave Rubin interviewing Dan Bongino just today Bogino is one of Parler's biggest investors. But it seems to have disappeared from Youtube. At least despite several searches I can't find it. Strange...

I figured out why I couldn't find it. I was watch Dave Rubin on my TV. Youtube took me to Glenn Beck afterwards is how I came across the video

ji2pyO4fFwA

My bad

So how many newspapers and news outlets do you figure Amazon provides cloud services for?
Enki

Post by Enki »

A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.
Why Forbes won't respect any PR firm that hires from the Trump administration.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:29 pm
A Truth Reckoning: Why We’re Holding Those Who Lied For Trump Accountable

So what’s the parallel in the dark arts of communication? Simple: Don’t let the chronic liars cash in on their dishonesty. Press secretaries like Joe Lockhart, Ari Fleischer and Jay Carney, who left the White House with their reputations in various stages of intact, made millions taking their skills — and credibility — to corporate America. Trump’s liars don’t merit that same golden parachute. Let it be known to the business world: Hire any of Trump’s fellow fabulists above, and Forbes will assume that everything your company or firm talks about is a lie. We’re going to scrutinize, double-check, investigate with the same skepticism we’d approach a Trump tweet. Want to ensure the world’s biggest business media brand approaches you as a potential funnel of disinformation? Then hire away.
Why Forbes won't respect any PR firm that hires from the Trump administration.
Thank you for making my point.