Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Musicology | Love 'em, Hate 'em

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Billy Joel Observations

Gotta admit, I like Pressure too, however cheesy. But like one of the comments say, he's definitely aping Bowie on that one.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:07 am i was aware of it all - didnt pay any attention to it however.
*from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave*

"I have been informed and we would like to assure people we are monitoring the situation."

last time I paid attention to Drake was what I believe was the first hit where the hook was "started from the bottom now we here, started from the bottom now the whole team is here."

Which was obviously an ear worm hook 'cause I remember it so well. But I thought the whole thing was very silly, even for rap. The guy has been an actor since he was in diapers, what is this definition of "bottom" being used.

However, the juxtaposition of the silly pop/party rapper is an ever more glum, serious, "important" rapper in Kendrick Lamar who just increasingly sucks. His bars are bad, the flow is bad, the beats he chooses are often poorly done.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:41 am
noddy wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:07 am i was aware of it all - didnt pay any attention to it however.
*from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave*

"I have been informed and we would like to assure people we are monitoring the situation."

last time I paid attention to Drake was what I believe was the first hit where the hook was "started from the bottom now we here, started from the bottom now the whole team is here."

Which was obviously an ear worm hook 'cause I remember it so well. But I thought the whole thing was very silly, even for rap. The guy has been an actor since he was in diapers, what is this definition of "bottom" being used.

However, the juxtaposition of the silly pop/party rapper is an ever more glum, serious, "important" rapper in Kendrick Lamar who just increasingly sucks. His bars are bad, the flow is bad, the beats he chooses are often poorly done.
Earnest humourlessness sucks the life out of everything.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

The bane of all millennial art and entertainment.

What got my attention was song 3 or so of Drake taunting Kendrick with an AI rendition of Tupac and Snoop Dogg. Has to be the first song to chart using AI voices?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

an old zappa interview mentioned Johhny Guitar Watson as the reason he started playing guitar, the guy is missing from the list of inspirational innovators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF6cZTlWfow

is super gritty playing, a total precursor to blues rock.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

That sounds great no matter how many times I hear it.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:54 am That sounds great no matter how many times I hear it.
Well this one leaves me in stitches.....'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:50 pm
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:54 am That sounds great no matter how many times I hear it.
I saw that one; found it so-so even if it left me in stitches.

Okay, I'll put a button on these groaners. :)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:35 am

Yt | The Typewriter
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://youtu.be/8qW44dgpUZw?si=7PNa5AeXEBqFU6Ap

Reminded me zappa wrote a song with johnny guitar
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

I feel cheated they dodnt keep sewing machine beat stable against the sequencer
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://youtu.be/sKZTdkvr4qo?si=iYREj2noaJcxKZsd

A washing machine enters the collection
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:22 am
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:35 am

Yt | The Typewriter
Fun
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

NapLajoieonSteroids

Interesting question from Dallas talk radio yesterday

What music made ~60 years ago could still sound fresh (ie like it was made today) to "virgin ears" today?

The conversation was sparked by Creedence Clearwater Revival...surging on streaming & now Top 50 on the charts!

I don't think the question is all that interesting but, CCR surging in the charts touches on what we were discussing a while ago in this thread.

--------

Maybe there isn't much to be gleaned from the chart but Ramones/Blondie representing California/New York is kinda interesting. That punk/new wave gets lumped into 'classic rock' along with thrash-metal Metallica is kinda interesting. There remains this weird, arbitrary divide for when classic rock ends and modern rock begins even as the pop rock songbook is pretty much closed and most of these 'modern' guys are pushing 60 now too.
NapLajoieonSteroids

The Band*- Yazoo Street Scandal

*it's a Dylan song and posted on his channel but it's an outtake from some studio session of the Band sans Dylan.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:15 am Image

Interesting question from Dallas talk radio yesterday

What music made ~60 years ago could still sound fresh (ie like it was made today) to "virgin ears" today?

The conversation was sparked by Creedence Clearwater Revival...surging on streaming & now Top 50 on the charts!

I don't think the question is all that interesting but, CCR surging in the charts touches on what we were discussing a while ago in this thread.

--------

Maybe there isn't much to be gleaned from the chart but Ramones/Blondie representing California/New York is kinda interesting.
When I think classic rock and California, The Doors come to mind, followed by Jefferson Airplane, the Beach Boys, and the RHCP.
That punk/new wave gets lumped into 'classic rock' along with thrash-metal Metallica is kinda interesting. There remains this weird, arbitrary divide for when classic rock ends and modern rock begins even as the pop rock songbook is pretty much closed and most of these 'modern' guys are pushing 60 now too.
Chrisse Hynde of new wave band The Pretenders is 72 and currently on tour. Deborah Harry of NWB Blondie is 79.
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh, all guitar music over 60 years has turned into classic rock, and metal is splintered into a million specific 'songs as genres'

according to that map, Im a texan.

coolest grandpas olds on the planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50eAv9tjvA
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

That Metallica and Judas Priest and to a lesser extent Guns N Roses are classic rock while contemporaries like, say REM or the Pixies, would feel weird under that label. We can come up with all sorts of reasons why the latter, even when played on classic rock stations, don't usually get the appellation. But there are odder, perhaps more similar contemporary pairings, like whatever arbitrary divide there is between Pearl Jam (not classic rock) and the Black Crowes (classic rock).

"Well a lot of that is marketing and how the bands market itself" Sure to a large extent. At the end of the day one is doing a Rolling Stones+ thing and the other is doing (early) a bit of the Doors and (later) The Who/Neil Young will Jimi Hendrix guitar licks. Even have the same producer for some of their bigger stuff.

But Billy Corgan can talk all day long about his classic rock influences and wanting to sound like Boston or Rush or Fleetwood Mac, and that's not "classic" rock.

Then there is U2, who completely straddle the line and any man on the street will place them in either camp without blinking. Or, like radio, split it down the middle. Joshua Tree is for classic rock radio; Achtung Baby tracks play on modern rock radio.

---------

Yes, it's all silly.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

From Jack White's new album

Jack White- Underground
NapLajoieonSteroids

Speaking of Pearl Jam, always speaking of Pearl Jam for some reason,

was talking to someone really into Pearl Jam and they had me go through the discography again, the first time in a very long time.

To his disappointment, I would still dump most of it myself.

The hold up is the album from 2000 or so:

Binaural

The binaural recording still sounds fantastic.
noddy

Post by noddy »

words like classic and vintage *are* rolling targets, and aggregations get bigger the furthur into the past things are.

classical music covers 500 years of stuff that is completely different in each era.

jazz and rock have a simmilar thing going on.
ultracrepidarian