Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Movies + TV series: Past and New Recommendation

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Beating on Disney a bit more:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:32 am
Alec_Guinness.jpg
Alec_Guinness.jpg (146.91 KiB) Viewed 646 times

Perceptive observation by Sir Alec Guinness.

My favourite performance by him is as George Smiley in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "Smiley's People".

Second is his role as Yevgraf Zhicago in "Dr. Zhivago".

Forget that he was in "Star Wars" until again reminded.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

10 AM showing and not only was it surprisingly packed, this young woman was impressively cosplaying in the theater lobby as Winona Ryder's character at the end of the first film in that elaborate red wedding dress.

But what of the movie? Well...it exists. Hah.

Michael Keaton could roll out of bed and play the cartoon character. And like the first film, they don't overexpose him with too much screen time.

There are glimmers of the old singular and oddball directing that Tim Burton used to do decades ago. But there is no center of gravity to keep it going. The weakest bits are really weak.

Which includes the narrative. There is some interesting ideas scattered about but it seems every actor was promised their own b-story and so the whole is occupied with fulfilling that. A number of characters should've been cut from the script even before filming. Monica Bellucci is the epitome of Tim Burton siphoning off money from the budget and giving it to his current girlfriend.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:55 pm Commentary | Streaming and Screaming
I'd be willing to be more generous about the old Mr.Ed writer in the story. He probably contributed material for 60+ episodes of Mr. Ed but due to the pecking order, that wouldn't reflect in any official documentation.