Blues Rock Guitar history

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Blues Rock Guitar history

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:now that ive had a bit of time with finally having the double vintage humbucker mid range thickness vs classic american strat single coil bellness I have dreams of hacking up my perfect compromise heh.

double pickup - single coil neck, humbucker bridge, with the middle position splitting the humbucker into single coil and out of phase joining it to the neck for that classic strat funky clean sound on the inbetweens.

think ill get a cheap chinesium telecaster kit to make it happen.
That is doable.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: I know it doesnt behave like a real tube amp , pushing large amounts of air around, but nothing does - included recording said amp and playing it on regular speakers at regular volumes.
True. Nothing can emulate standing in front of a roaring amp, not ever gonna happen.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

noddy wrote:on the flipside, Im hating DAW's .. with a passsion, their is something just wrong about them all for someone coming from a tape multitrack backgroud.

lack of physical buttons is a killer, too many options with too many buried features and crazy workflow tricks, too much latency, or worse, subtle fears of latency that may or may not be true.

i sure hope I get over this and grow to like them, Im limited to linux or windows and ones I can try for free.
The latency problem is one that either drives people mad or they find themselves totally insensitive to it. [talking more about the subtle differences and not the big, unworkable type of lags.]

The biggest latency problem I face now is with the free multitrack app I use on my cell phone to record ideas.

As per last update, it is either giving me an unacceptable amount of lag or; it's creating weird glitches and artifacts in certain frequencies which I only find after I transfer it over to the DAW
noddy

Post by noddy »

Im sure the worst of it is that im experiencing too many learning curves and frustrations simultaneously and my priority is lifting my musicianship back up to previous standards, which is its own source of "but i used to be able to do that" pain.

add to that my instinct on ADC/DAC chains and how badly things aiming for the minimum standard stack up (10 ms ? 44khz?) and it all just looks and feels ugly :)

I certainly dont miss tape nor wish to deal with its expense or probems but i do miss dedicted physical button interrfaces that do the subset of things I care about - it wil be a while before I want to make squarks and bleeps EDM with the grid editors.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Discussion reminds me of these:

oI7S5bwxX8w

9dkyqZdOlpc
noddy

Post by noddy »

heh, fun videos, tho the reverb and tremolo should be in the amp, which predates the tape version :)

I wasnt thinking of quite that historic an approach , just the lovely immediacy of the 8 track tape with mixing desk that was common in small studios in the 90's .. big dumb buttons that operate well when distracted and zero latency concerns.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:heh, fun videos, tho the reverb and tremolo should be in the amp, which predates the tape version :)

I wasnt thinking of quite that historic an approach , just the lovely immediacy of the 8 track tape with mixing desk that was common in small studios in the 90's .. big dumb buttons that operate well when distracted and zero latency concerns.
Yeah, I didn't think you were talkin' that far back in time. But it still came to mind.

This one too from a few months ago- it's a bit long but still kinda neat:

_Q-scxybnp0
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I was an early adopter of digital recording because cutting and pasting digitally is the way to go, and all I ever wanted was to make high quality demos. To go to the high end old fashioned reel tapes and the concomitant racks of tube processing and mega consoles at six figures never made sense to me at all.

As such I was happy to move over to a computer, put down tracks and flip them around easily. Yes it is not headache free, software and hardware comes and goes, becomes obsolete, is sometimes incompatible etc. But it's all inside a box.

But if I liked tape I would still be doing it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I have no time for expensive consumables (tapes) and the storage and failure of those.

doesnt mean I cant whine about the replacement and my current overload of learning not caring so much about clunky DAW interfaces when their is so much more interesting things to concentrate upon.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

back on topic.

the old fellows who could sing, do little solo's and play rythym good enough to dance to all by themselves

one of my fave albums back when i was learning was this guy, cant find the same performances on youtube.

lK5zYI86wIw
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

rh9N0SjJJlc
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote:back on topic.

the old fellows who could sing, do little solo's and play rythym good enough to dance to all by themselves

one of my fave albums back when i was learning was this guy, cant find the same performances on youtube.

lK5zYI86wIw
Fascinating. I've never played this kind of blues, or jazz or country of the same vintage, and I probably should. What fascinates me about this is making full arrangements on the guitar just using 6 strings. Your video he has a thumb pick and is banging out a bass and treble blend, which is a coordination exercise I never fully got into. More modern guitar style past the 60's completely left it behind, perhaps to our loss.

I also liked the mic placements. In TV performances of that vintage there were a lot of lip syncs but sometimes it was live with no mic stands anywhere. Looks like they just used big room mics out of frame.

This guy is a lot like your guy. You can get lost in there.

85BvT5X6WSo
noddy

Post by noddy »

He is also excellent, as are many of the travis picking/ bluegrass guys.

the only guy in our post 60's list who built a career off that style , is probably Knopfler.

mCHyMvNlZJw

Im finding a real desire in learning how to do all that now, its a way I want to break out of the ruts I had last time and nothing beats entertaining yourself as a first priority - also avoids the BRAIN NUMBING MULTITRACK Q#W$)UI!@#$R*U!#)$*!@#
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: Im finding a real desire in learning how to do all that now, its a way I want to break out of the ruts
Yeah
noddy

Post by noddy »

2V0kbcZKbG8
kHtwF-gpluc

of course instead of using all your fingers, you can try just 2.

aZ308aOOX04
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Django. I've been down that rabbit hole more than once and he always spits me back out.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Fascinating. I've never played this kind of blues, or jazz or country of the same vintage, and I probably should. What fascinates me about this is making full arrangements on the guitar just using 6 strings. Your video he has a thumb pick and is banging out a bass and treble blend, which is a coordination exercise I never fully got into. More modern guitar style past the 60's completely left it behind, perhaps to our loss.
To elaborate, with the advent of the rock band bass and treble parts got split up between the bass guitar and treble guitar. As such, an artform was lost.

As an amateur I'm endlessly fascinated by guitar arrangements, where a complete orchestration can be created with 2 hands and 6 strings. Someone who knows how to do that, it may be the highest form of guitar playing. It's magical.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote: Fascinating. I've never played this kind of blues, or jazz or country of the same vintage, and I probably should. What fascinates me about this is making full arrangements on the guitar just using 6 strings. Your video he has a thumb pick and is banging out a bass and treble blend, which is a coordination exercise I never fully got into. More modern guitar style past the 60's completely left it behind, perhaps to our loss.
To elaborate, with the advent of the rock band bass and treble parts got split up between the bass guitar and treble guitar. As such, an artform was lost.

As an amateur I'm endlessly fascinated by guitar arrangements, where a complete orchestration can be created with 2 hands and 6 strings. Someone who knows how to do that, it may be the highest form of guitar playing. It's magical.
yah, it has that magical quality you get from imposed limitations - piano can sorta play a completely different left hand to right hand, within the dexterity limitations of the player.

guitar requires a cunning compromise and understanding of the big picture to work within the capabilities of the left hand and the 6 strings and whats physically possible, their is a musical skill to knowing which notes can be dropped and which are core to the song.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

speaking of Jimmy Page being an A-Grade businessman with an eye to bank vaults.

https://www.sundragonamp.com/
Sundragon is the result of a collaboration between Jimmy Page, Perry Margouleff and Mitch Colby. It is a faithful recreation of the amp Jimmy Page used exclusively to create the groundbreaking sounds on Led Zeppelin 1 and other notable recordings such as the solo on Stairway to Heaven.
take your stairway to heaven game up a notch, with a recreation of the actual amp used!
A limited edition run of 50 hand built amps will be made throughout 2019, all signed by Jimmy Page.
50 lucky accountants and dentists with PRS and butter scotch telecaster collections.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Wow.
noddy

Post by noddy »

but wait - there is more!

you can get the jimmy page telecaster to go with it :) :) :)

ulEugtz0FY4
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/acoustic- ... ustasonic/

a hollow body telecaster with acoustic and electric pickups AND microphone in the body so you can do hipster drums.

I suspect its trying too hard to be hip because it costs too much for actual hipsters.

0e9QLaHEt-I
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Pre shred but almost there

bhm_R6NrAhI
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/acoustic- ... ustasonic/

a hollow body telecaster with acoustic and electric pickups AND microphone in the body so you can do hipster drums.

I suspect its trying too hard to be hip because it costs too much for actual hipsters.

0e9QLaHEt-I
Pass on the used toilet paper aesthetic.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

PBK_El9Ti8w
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.