Canada

A Mari usque ad Mare
Ibrahim

Re: Canada

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:Learn by example from the Canadians and get along.
Presumably you mean in general, not the ones on this forum.
Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

Ibrahim wrote:.
Typhoon wrote:.

Learn by example from the Canadians and get along.

seconded

Crocus sativus

Post by Crocus sativus »

I always liked Trudeau

hopefully he becomes Liberal Party leader and Canadian PM before (durian) Harper destroys Canada

إن شاء الله (amen)

Justin Trudeau is brushing off criticism about his upcoming keynote speech at an Islamic convention, saying he’s proud to be participating in the event.

His planned Dec. 22 appearance at the Reviving the Islamic Spirit event has been attacked by an anti-Islamism website and those complaints have been picked up by some mainstream media outlets.

[..]

When asked about the controversy, Trudeau said he doesn’t share the critics’ concerns and he accuses them of trafficking in misinformation. He said politicians from all parties have spoken at the annual Toronto event — including former New Democrat leader Jack Layton a few years ago.

“If there are concerns about some of the speakers that I’ve heard rumours about, I think there’s also a bit of misinformation,” Trudeau said during a news conference Monday in St-Jerome, Que.

“I’ve heard a number of people express concerns about this event that I certainly don’t understand and I don’t share…

“It’s a group of young people who’ve pulled this together. Most of the organizers are young Muslims who are looking at trying to bridge the gap between the reality for Muslim Canadians and mainstream Canada and I’m very proud to be able to contribute.”

The convention had 30,000 attendees in 2011 and at least as many are expected this year. The working title of Trudeau’s speech is: “Being Inclusive in Canada: Our Story, Our Politics, Our Future.”

A spokeswoman for the convention said the criticism is an example of broader fear-mongering about Muslims.

“Unfortunately, (such criticism) will always exist and I think the idea of a large congregation of Muslims gathering is often attached with speculation over the last decade or so,” Farhia Ahmed said Tuesday.

“There’s been wide speculation about whether or not Muslims are all terrorists… That’s also what the media has been portraying.”

She said the allegations about malicious activities linked to event speakers and sponsors have not been proven: “From the opinion of the organizing committee, most of it is fear-mongering,” Ahmed said.

The event, founded by young Canadian Muslims a decade ago, aims to promote a forum for people to hear different viewpoints related to Islam.

Ahmed said the organizers do not condone any negative behaviour, activities or anything related to terrorism. She could not immediately say whether any potential presenters had been turned away in the past for these concerns.

“Absolutely we would turn them down and have no relation with them,” she said.

Criticism of Trudeau’s appearance emerged on the website Point de Bascule Canada (or Tipping Point Canada), and the theme was picked up by a pair of popular radio stations in Montreal, one French and one English, and on the Sun News TV network.

Point de Bascule Canada calls itself an independent, non-partisan website that “defends our liberties by educating people on the Islamist threat.” The website did not immediately respond to an interview request.

all Zionist venom

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Canada is now, for the first time in its history, receiving significantly more immigration from the U.S. than it is losing

A penny-pinching United States is now retiring to its own shores —and this is a good thing for everyone

Heracleum Persicum

Native protests spread across Canada

Canada belongs to them, Apollonius, everybody else only guest

Harper destroying Canada, in bed with Zionist and now this

Pfui , Apollonius , Pfui

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Pfui , Apollonius , Pfui

So how are plans to return Iran back to the Zoroastrians progressing?

Should the Normans vacate Britain and return it to the Celts?

Should the Aryans vacate India and return it to the Dravidians?

Don't know why you obsess with this stuff as it's not going to happen.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

Typhoon wrote:So how are plans to return Iran back to the Zoroastrians progressing?
It's the same people, they simply converted to another religion.

Should the Normans vacate Britain and return it to the Celts?
The Normans beat the Anglo-Danes, who beat the Anglo-Saxons, who were invited over by the Romans, who beat the Celts. Modern English are mostly Saxons.

Should the Aryans vacate India and return it to the Dravidians?
This one's fine.

Don't know why you obsess with this stuff as it's not going to happen.
There is some value in pointing out all of the horrific incidents in Western history, since Western propagandists frequently cite similar events in the history of other peoples in the process of demonizing them and advocating violence against them.

Its also relevant to recent protests by First Nations groups in Canada regarding the failure of the Federal Government to fulfill treaty obligations dating back to the colonial period.
noddy

Post by noddy »

in australia the environmentalists and the aboriginals have become quite wedged on this

a) the mining companies worked out that payments to the aborigines seem to allay many of their concerns - its not exploitation if you are getting a cut of the profits.

b) the greens are quite over the top about humans damaging wilderness and this contradicts aboriginal hunting rights.

i do suspect canada will end up simmilar unless the mining companies are idiots... granted i only skim read the article but these issues appeared to be central to it.
ultracrepidarian
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:in australia the environmentalists and the aboriginals have become quite wedged on this

a) the mining companies worked out that payments to the aborigines seem to allay many of their concerns - its not exploitation if you are getting a cut of the profits.

b) the greens are quite over the top about humans damaging wilderness and this contradicts aboriginal hunting rights.

i do suspect canada will end up simmilar unless the mining companies are idiots... granted i only skim read the article but these issues appeared to be central to it.

At present one of the complaints of First Nations groups is that they don't have rights to resources on their lands, or that the definition of "their lands" was altered when resources were discovered. Revenues from resource exploitation are controlled by Provinces and the treaties are with the Federal government, further complicating matters.

I actually think they have an excellent point here, if indeed resources are located on lands granted to them in treaties. Reminded me of Edward Said's line about Arabs not really "deserving" the oil underneath them, and only white Europeans having the agency required to own things like oil.
noddy

Post by noddy »

australia seems to have moved past that stage, the places they gained landrights they gained full land rights so thusly the argument has evolved as i mentioned above.
ultracrepidarian
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:australia seems to have moved past that stage, the places they gained landrights they gained full land rights so thusly the argument has evolved as i mentioned above.

I know little about Australia's present legal situation vis the Aborigine population, and much more about the 20th century abuses of the Australian government, as this is more commonly depicted in films and documentaries. It seems like Australia once lagged behind Canada in addressing the rights of the native population, but has since pulled ahead of us on some of the main issues.

I suspect the First Nations of Canada would much rather duke it out with environmentalists than the Government of Alberta.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

Pfui , Apollonius , Pfui

Poor Sara (Palin), didn't know Africa a continent and not a nation :lol:

noddy wrote:.

.. its not exploitation if you are getting a cut of the profits.

Yes, noddy, yes .. all is economics, dollars and cents

Canada has 2 pipeline sending Oil and gas to US .. that oil is Indian Oil & Gas .. mineral rights are Indian and Canadian federal government must negotiate with Indigni to settle this .. otherwise Aborigine will take this to United Nation and Iran will back them in this :lol:

Those Alberta RedNeck, just arrived from Ireland and Scotland acting as if Oil & Gas their birthright, similar to those shithead Sheiks of Arabia .. I am on the record here and elsewhere saying that NATURAL resources of planet earth, oil, gas, air, sun, water, gold, diamond, copper and and and is G_D's gift to humanity (poor and rich), and, belong to all humans on planet earth

Pfui

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ibrahim wrote:
Typhoon wrote:So how are plans to return Iran back to the Zoroastrians progressing?
Not exactly.

Muslim conquest of Persia
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Pfui , Apollonius , Pfui

Poor Sara (Palin), didn't know Africa a continent and not a nation :lol:

Not exactly.

Muslim conquest of Persia

More to the point, unlike the Canadian aboriginals, the Zoroastrians are still experiencing deadly persecution today.

.. its not exploitation if you are getting a cut of the profits.

Yes, noddy, yes .. all is economics, dollars and cents

Canada has 2 pipeline sending Oil and gas to US .. that oil is Indian Oil & Gas .. mineral rights are Indian and Canadian federal government must negotiate with Indigni to settle this .. otherwise Aborigine will take this to United Nation and Iran will back them in this :lol:
I'm sure that Iran's supposed support keeps Canadian PM Harper awake at night.

Not.
Heracleum Persicum wrote: Those Alberta RedNeck, just arrived from Ireland and Scotland acting as if Oil & Gas their birthright, similar to those shithead Sheiks of Arabia .. I am on the record here and elsewhere saying that NATURAL resources of planet earth, oil, gas, air, sun, water, gold, diamond, copper and and and is G_D's gift to humanity (poor and rich), and, belong to all humans on planet earth

Pfui

So when is Iran going to start to distribute it's oil for free?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Off topic discussion of Persian history moved to the ME section - Iran thread.

[Yes, I also contributed to the OT diversion. Mea culpa. ]

Let's keep the Canadian thread on topic with discussions of Canadian issues.
Heracleum Persicum

Vancouver housing market 2nd least affordable on planet

. . median house price divided by gross before-tax annual median household income. The higher the measure the more unaffordable.

Vancouver's median multiple was 9.5, with its median house price of $621,300 on household income of $65,200.

all Chinese money

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

. . median house price divided by gross before-tax annual median household income. The higher the measure the more unaffordable.

Vancouver's median multiple was 9.5, with its median house price of $621,300 on household income of $65,200.

all Chinese money

My impression of Vancouver was that it was situated in a remarkably beautiful natural location. Wonderful if one enjoys spending time outdoors.

However, in terms of things to do, I preferred Montreal and Toronto.
noddy

Post by noddy »

canada and australia both are riding massive housing bubbles on the back of chinese resource frenzies.

not going to end well for those who have thrown too much money at it... however it does create a delightful dissonance between believing in capitalism and house prices always going up and then needing the central management authoritarian chinese to pay for it all.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

all Chinese money

My impression of Vancouver was that it was situated in a remarkably beautiful natural location. Wonderful if one enjoys spending time outdoors.

your impression is correct

Vancouver a bedroom community, for retirement .. and , too much rain makes things too lame, sort of impotent

Real fun is Montreal .. Colonial Brits & French exiled all the hookers to Montreal :lol: .. so, the girls have it all in their blood, really wild, real fun loving sweeties.

canada and australia both are riding massive housing bubbles on the back of chinese resource frenzies.

not going to end well for those who have thrown too much money at it... however it does create a delightful dissonance between believing in capitalism and house prices always going up and then needing the central management authoritarian chinese to pay for it all.

Yes again

Chinese come with luggage full of $$$ .. when they say Cash it means really cash .. CC, Vancouver airport has special room for that

Average household income in Vancouver is below 60K .. average house in Vancouver is C$ 1+ million, for
$ 600K you get a garage :lol:

Lots of Canadians that their houses were worth 200K , selling now to Chinese for $ 3 million and moving to Phoenix Arizona or Palm desert, icing on the cake being now C$ stronger than U$ (less than 5 yrs ago 1U$=1.6 C$) .. idea being, let the (Chinese) suckers have it

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:

all Chinese money

your impression is correct

Vancouver a bedroom community, for retirement .. and , too much rain makes things too lame, sort of impotent

Real fun is Montreal .. Colonial Brits & French exiled all the hookers to Montreal :lol: .. so, the girls have it all in their blood, really wild, real fun loving sweeties.

Yes again

Chinese come with luggage full of $$$ .. when they say Cash it means really cash .. CC, Vancouver airport has special room for that

Average household income in Vancouver is below 60K .. average house in Vancouver is C$ 1+ million, for
$ 600K you get a garage :lol:

Lots of Canadians that their houses were worth 200K , selling now to Chinese for $ 3 million and moving to Phoenix Arizona or Palm desert, icing on the cake being now C$ stronger than U$ (less than 5 yrs ago 1U$=1.6 C$) .. idea being, let the (Chinese) suckers have it

There's even an online game . . .

Vancouver Crack Shack or Mansion?
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

noddy wrote:canada and australia both are riding massive housing bubbles on the back of chinese resource frenzies.

Its actually not too bad in Toronto, but Vancouver's hyperactive market makes no sense to anyone. I played the little online game and didn't even get half correct, and I used to live there.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

How does native funding work? - Daniel Schwartz, CBC News, 6 February 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... e-faq.html

The recent Idle No More protests, as well as Attawapiskat chief Theresa Spence’s 45-day hunger strike, have raised awareness of native issues.

One of the most complicated and misunderstood issues is the subject of native funding, which stems largely from the relationship between governments and aboriginal peoples. The history of that relationship has determined how various aspects of what we are calling aboriginal finance work — or don't work.

In an attempt to clarify the most important and most misunderstood issues, and to try to challenge some myths, CBC News spoke to experts in the field of aboriginal finance.

One is Daniel Wilson, a former senior director of strategic policy and planning for the Assembly of First Nations and before that, a Canadian diplomat. He describes himself as having Mi’kmaq, Acadian and Irish heritage.

Another is Harold Calla, chairman of the First Nations Financial Management Board, which he helped establish in 2006 to provide First Nations with the tools of modern fiscal management. A certified general accountant and a certified aboriginal financial manager, Calla is a member of the Squamish First Nation in North Vancouver. ...

The most popular comments:
As a Canadian of Native decent who does not live on a Reservation. but has relatives who do, I think that the current situation with the Canadian native population in regards to funding for reserves, needs to have two clear objectives - transparency and accountability.

The transparency and accountability applies to both the Federal Government, and the Natives who are responsible for the spending of the money.

As it stands no one really knows why some bands get the amount of funding that they do from the Federal government, and once the money gets to the bands no one really knows how the money is spent.

Clear and transparent guidelines for are needed for the Federal funding, and once the money is funded, detailed records of how the money is spent and who it goes to need to be kept and made public.

Until this happens there will always be resentment and suspicion for all parties concerned.

Most Canadians want to see the situation for Canadian natives to improve, the problem is the there is just too much secrecy and confusion from the Federal government in regards to funding, and from the Native chiefs on just how and where the money is spent.

Natives should look to themselves for solutions instead of demanding more from the the government.

As long as they have a corrupt/broken chief system, and a culture of dependence they will never truly have control over their own lives.

I do not understand why indians feel their gouvernment cares less about them more than other Canadians, last I looked nobody was concerned about my housing.

This is based on living the first nations experience, based on reality.

The Chief and Council gets all the money from the Feds who get it from the taxpayers...who are taxed at some of the highest rates in the WORLD.

Chief and Council are to allocate the funding to education, housing, seniors, health, infrastructure, economic development, etc

The funding finds its way via Chief and Council to numerous other destinations called "black holes" where receipts go missing if any exist at all.

Where receipts do exist, there are expense claims for conferences, business trips, entertainment, personal satellite dishes and expensive top of the line brand new SUVs. If you want to see a parking lot with the most expensive cars of the year, drop in on a Chiefs meeting.

Recommend that in future Feds send cheques to each person who is entitled much like is done with CPP so they can feed themselves and make housing improvements but only after they gain the right to own their own houses (the Band owns all the land and houses globally at present).

Chief and Council should have very little funding to play with only for items that improve the global health and standards of the community.Feds to blame for not building accountablitiy into their funding model. Auditor General substantiates that.

When I leave the city I depart from Horseshoe Bay where the ferries leave for points north and west. To get there you cross over the Lion’s Gate Bridge, which is Vancouver’s version of the Golden Gate Bridge: it looks similar (a big suspension bridge); it was even built in the same year, and you’re way up in the air. As you make the descent to the North Shore, if you’re not driving and travelling by bus like I usually do, you can look down on one of the most valuable pieces of property in the whole country directly underneath. Some of this is a fashionable and expensive mall, which is also on Squamish First Nation land leased to the mall, but five years ago, what had been mostly vacant land was turned into a housing development. All of the homes are monster houses, easily 4000 sq. ft. They would sell for a million dollars each, or they would people took care of them. Just a few years after Natives from the band who owns the property moved in, they are already starting to look more than a little bedraggled. There are no gardens. Not a single shrub. Three or four last year’s model of SUVs in the driveways and clutter everywhere. It’s already looking junky.

I think part of the problem is that under the Indian Act, Natives are not allowed to actually own homes on reserve land, or at least not allowed to sell them. The original intent was to prevent the reserves from being sold off piecemeal to outsiders, but the result is that no one so much as washes the windows or cleans the gutters*. Why bother? The only reward you’ll reap is the scorn of your neighbours who will accuse you of trying to act like a white man.

* Reminds me of travelling through East Germany during the mid-eighties. With the exception of some showcase developments in the centre of Berlin, the windows hadn't been washed since 1945.
Last edited by Apollonius on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

Ottawa gives nod to west-to-east oil pipeline - CBC News, 2 February 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... eline.html

The federal government is firming up its support of two projects that would see oil from Alberta piped to Atlantic Canada.

Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said he gave a tentative nod to one proposal in a meeting with industry giant Irving Oil.

"I met with Arthur Irving (Irving Oil's chairman) and expressed the support of the government of Canada, in principle, for this initiative," Oliver said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

TransCanada Corp. wants to convert an existing, underused natural gas line to bring oil from Western Canada to Quebec and New Brunswick.

I noted earlier in this thread my support for this proposal. Here's where the Harper double-cross works for something I approve. He lets the Chinese buy a major tar sands development company, then tells them they won't be able to pipe the oil to China, but we might buy it-- if the price is right.
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

comment #1 wrote: As a Canadian of Native decent who does not live on a Reservation. but has relatives who do, I think that the current situation with the Canadian native population in regards to funding for reserves, needs to have two clear objectives - transparency and accountability.

The transparency and accountability applies to both the Federal Government, and the Natives who are responsible for the spending of the money.

As it stands no one really knows why some bands get the amount of funding that they do from the Federal government, and once the money gets to the bands no one really knows how the money is spent.

Clear and transparent guidelines for are needed for the Federal funding, and once the money is funded, detailed records of how the money is spent and who it goes to need to be kept and made public.

Until this happens there will always be resentment and suspicion for all parties concerned.

Most Canadians want to see the situation for Canadian natives to improve, the problem is the there is just too much secrecy and confusion from the Federal government in regards to funding, and from the Native chiefs on just how and where the money is spent.
This is the position of most sensible people, though I dispute that "most" Canadians want to see conditions approve. Most never think about it, and have no idea what the conditions are.

comment #2 wrote:Natives should look to themselves for solutions instead of demanding more from the the government.

As long as they have a corrupt/broken chief system, and a culture of dependence they will never truly have control over their own lives.
They are operating under treaties sighed generations ago, or statues that are descended from legislation of that era. The present arrangement was not the idea of any person alive today, and they did not request this arrangement.

comment #3 wrote:I do not understand why indians feel their gouvernment cares less about them more than other Canadians, last I looked nobody was concerned about my housing.
This is the ignorance I was talking about in comment #1. The conditions of First Nations people are frequently 3rd world, and their life expectancy and other indicators are substantially lower than the rest of the population. The government clearly cares less about them, which reflects the attitudes of Canadians as a whole, who don't know or care about them either.

Plus you can cherry-pick some choice lines from the historical records of Parliament about "Indians" if you want to talk about the attitudes of the government historically.

comment #4 wrote:This is based on living the first nations experience, based on reality.

The Chief and Council gets all the money from the Feds who get it from the taxpayers...who are taxed at some of the highest rates in the WORLD.

Chief and Council are to allocate the funding to education, housing, seniors, health, infrastructure, economic development, etc

The funding finds its way via Chief and Council to numerous other destinations called "black holes" where receipts go missing if any exist at all.

Where receipts do exist, there are expense claims for conferences, business trips, entertainment, personal satellite dishes and expensive top of the line brand new SUVs. If you want to see a parking lot with the most expensive cars of the year, drop in on a Chiefs meeting.

Recommend that in future Feds send cheques to each person who is entitled much like is done with CPP so they can feed themselves and make housing improvements but only after they gain the right to own their own houses (the Band owns all the land and houses globally at present).

Chief and Council should have very little funding to play with only for items that improve the global health and standards of the community.Feds to blame for not building accountablitiy into their funding model. Auditor General substantiates that.
Again, true enough. Mismanagement and corruption on the part of tribal leadership is a major issue. Though, and I don't think this is what the commenter here is suggesting, that is hardly an excuse for some of the conditions that exist.

Appollonius wrote:I think part of the problem is that under the Indian Act, Natives are not allowed to actually own homes on reserve land, or at least not allowed to sell them. The original intent was to prevent the reserves from being sold off piecemeal to outsiders, but the result is that no one so much as washes the windows or cleans the gutters*. Why bother? The only reward you’ll reap is the scorn of your neighbours who will accuse you of trying to act like a white man.
I'm not opposed to changing laws regarding private ownership on reservations, but some provision still needs to be made for preventing tribal lands from being sold off to opportunistic outside interests, or obviously this would reduce reservations to nothing (though this is more of an issue in some locations than others).

As for cleanliness, this is one of those double-standard arguments where people ascribe behavior to others they would never engage in themselves. There is no reason for aboriginal residences to look worse than any other rental property, but the issues common to poverty exacerbate the situation. Endemic rates of depression, mental illness, addiction, and lack of resources have more to do with it than simple disregard, or the association of painting or repairing windows with "acting white."
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Ibrahim wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Learn by example from the Canadians and get along.

:lol: :lol:

Amen. One of those statements so obvious.... that someone had to say it!!!!