Mainstream and social media matters

Doc

Re: Mainstream and social media matters

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 am Taki's Mag | ‘Truth’ Over Facts
Can a society carry on when it is ruled by giant toddlers obsessed with fantasy stories, rather than adults doing the hard work of governing a people? What happens when a significant portion of the people collectively realize that the people in charge are dangerously nuts? At some point the script will demand an answer, and it will not involve strong female leads riding a dragon. It will be much worse.
The Script:

A lot of this is being driven by Establishment politicians whose current fashion is wearing brown pants. The media is just corrupt because the corrupt politicians are pushing them to be corrupt. Joe Biden is not alone in corruption. Not even close to being alone.

"There is evidence now....that Judge Sullivan is acting at the behest and behalf of Obama"

sFMk48KA608
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 am Taki's Mag | ‘Truth’ Over Facts
Can a society carry on when it is ruled by giant toddlers obsessed with fantasy stories, rather than adults doing the hard work of governing a people? What happens when a significant portion of the people collectively realize that the people in charge are dangerously nuts? At some point the script will demand an answer, and it will not involve strong female leads riding a dragon. It will be much worse.
Excellent article. Thanks for posting. Over the last 20 years, I have read more than a few opinions who claim that when journalism students are asked why they decided to pursue journalism as a career, the overwhelming reposes is "I want to change the world!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

UnHerd | How hysterical punditry failed America
“This is not a drill. The Reichstag is burning,” blared a five-alarm-fire warning in the Washington Post by Dana Milbank, who may want to consider a title change from “columnist” to “in-house hysteric”. Not to be outdone, establishment weather-vane Thomas Friedman joined the fray in the New York Times with an equally shocking exhortation: “I can’t say this any more clearly,” he hyperventilated. “Our democracy is in terrible danger — more danger than it has been since the Civil War, more danger than after Pearl Harbor, more danger than during the Cuban missile crisis […]”.

If these fevered prognostications even bore the faintest resemblance to political conditions in the United States, it might seem a bit odd that the pundits in question have since moved on to other subjects. Or to put it this way: if they really believed their own fantastical rhetoric, shouldn’t they have spent the past few weeks taking action more tangible than rattling off a few throwaway columns and browsing Twitter? Not that any “resistance” brigade composed of pallid middle-aged journalists would be especially formidable on the battlefield, but the point is that their conduct doesn’t come anywhere close to matching the incredible alarmism of their words.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 pm UnHerd | How hysterical punditry failed America
“This is not a drill. The Reichstag is burning,” blared a five-alarm-fire warning in the Washington Post by Dana Milbank, who may want to consider a title change from “columnist” to “in-house hysteric”. Not to be outdone, establishment weather-vane Thomas Friedman joined the fray in the New York Times with an equally shocking exhortation: “I can’t say this any more clearly,” he hyperventilated. “Our democracy is in terrible danger — more danger than it has been since the Civil War, more danger than after Pearl Harbor, more danger than during the Cuban missile crisis […]”.

If these fevered prognostications even bore the faintest resemblance to political conditions in the United States, it might seem a bit odd that the pundits in question have since moved on to other subjects. Or to put it this way: if they really believed their own fantastical rhetoric, shouldn’t they have spent the past few weeks taking action more tangible than rattling off a few throwaway columns and browsing Twitter? Not that any “resistance” brigade composed of pallid middle-aged journalists would be especially formidable on the battlefield, but the point is that their conduct doesn’t come anywhere close to matching the incredible alarmism of their words.
Thanks for posting. The sky is falling! Happens every 4 years. Once Trump is gone, withdrawal symptoms will be very painful for many.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A search for the "Wall Street Journal" on Facebook came with the following warning

FB_warning.png
FB_warning.png (810.42 KiB) Viewed 3198 times

Wow. The American chattering classes have gone completely off the rails.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A succinct explanation from Glenn Greenwald re the Biden documents:

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm A search for the "Wall Street Journal" on Facebook came with the following warning

FB_warning.png

I thought the train de-railed about 11 years ago. Eve more de-railed now. Some needs to test the water supply in the big cities where the MSM are headquartered.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm A succinct explanation from Glenn Greenwald re the Biden documents:

Agreed. I have heard several talking heads discussing this over the last few days. Many MSM talking head have huge self-loathing guilt complexes.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm A search for the "Wall Street Journal" on Facebook came with the following warning

FB_warning.png

Why are they advertising for the WSJ? I thought the CCP was better than that at censoring...

https://nypost.com/2020/10/20/meet-your ... k-censors/
Meet your (Chinese) Facebook censors

By Sohrab Ahmari

October 20, 2020 | 8:04pm | Updated

China is one of the most censorious societies on Earth. So what better place for ­Facebook to recruit social media censors?

There are at least half a dozen “Chinese nationals who are working on censorship,” a former Facebook insider told me last week. “So at some point, they [Facebook bosses] thought, ‘Hey, we’re going to get them H-1B visas so they can do this work.’ ”

The insider shared an internal directory of the team that does much of this work. It’s called Hate-Speech Engineering (George Orwell, call your office), and most of its members are based at Facebook’s offices in Seattle. Many have Ph.D.s, and their work is extremely complex, involving machine learning — teaching “computers how to learn and act without being explicitly programmed,” as the techy website DeepAI.org puts it.

When it comes to censorship on social media, that means “teaching” the Facebook code so certain content ends up at the top of your newsfeed, a feat that earns the firm’s software wizards discretionary bonuses, per the ex-insider. It also means making sure other content “shows up dead-last.”
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/10/ ... d-warning/

Twitter Locks Account of Ric Grenell over Voter Fraud Warning
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

NapLajoieonSteroids

Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.christianpost.com/news/face ... atire.html
Facebook demonetizes Babylon Bee over Mazie Hirono satire piece

As social media censorship has drawn increased scrutiny among congressional Republicans, Facebook has demonetized the satirical Christian website The Babylon Bee over a piece about Democratic Sen. Mazie Hirono.

The satirical piece, titled, “Senator Hirono Demands ACB Be Weighed Against A Duck To See If She Is A Witch,” was published the day after the Hawaii senator asked Supreme Court nominee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett, whether she had ever committed or been accused of sexual assault or harassment, and scolded her for using the term “sexual preference,” even though the world was also used by Democrats.

The satirical piece said: “After two days of Amy Coney Barrett gracefully and stoically answering questions with perfect recall and no notes, suspicions grew on Capitol Hill that she might be a practitioner of the dark arts.”

The piece also featured many fictitious quotes from Hirono.

“Oh, she’s a witch alright, just look at her! Just look at the way she’s dressed and how she’s so much prettier and smarter than us! She’s in league with Beelzebub himself, I just know it! We must burn her!” Hirono was sarcastically quoted as saying.

The article went on to detail how Hirono “pulled a live duck out of a massive burlap sack next to her” and declared: “In addition to being a senator, I am also quite wise in the ways of science. Everyone knows witches burn because they are made of wood. I think I read that somewhere. Wood floats and so do ducks—so logically, if Amy Coney Barrett weighs as much as this duck I found in the reflection pool outside, she is a witch and must be burned.”

Babylon Bee CEO Seth Dillon addressed the demonetization on Twitter Tuesday, saying Facebook claimed that the article “incites violence.”

“It’s literally a regurgitated joke from a Monty Python movie!” he stressed.
Free CP Newsletters

Join over 250,000 others to get the top stories curated daily, plus special offers!
Free CP Newsletters

Join over 250,000 others to get the top stories curated daily, plus special offers!

“In what universe does a fictional quote as part of an obvious joke constitute a genuine incitement to violence? How does context not come into play here?” he asked. “They’re asking us to edit the article and not speak publicly about internal content reviews.”

In what universe does a fictional quote as part of an obvious joke constitute a genuine incitement to violence? How does context not come into play here? They're asking us to edit the article and not speak publicly about internal content reviews. Oops, did I just tweet this?
— Seth Dillon (@SethDillon) October 20, 2020

Dillon proceeded to accuse Facebook of a double standard, citing the fact that the social media giant did not label a Black Lives Matter leader’s promise to “burn down the system” if the organization’s demands were not met as an attempt to incite violence.

He vowed that The Babylon Bee “will not be editing the article to get our page’s monetization reinstated.”

In a subsequent tweet, Dillon declared “We don’t even need Facebook. They only account for like 70 percent of our traffic.”

We will not be editing the article to get our page's monetization reinstated. We will, however, be talking to the media about this. Send your inquiries my way: seth@babylonbee.com
— Seth Dillon (@SethDillon) October 20, 2020
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

So when are people and organizations going to learn to abandon social media?

It's like the only problem with getting shitfaced drunk, is the resultant hangover!

"Seems like no matter what I do, I can't get rid of my hangover pain!"
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:01 pm So when are people and organizations going to learn to abandon social media?
When they have lost everything

It's like the only problem with getting shitfaced drunk, is the resultant hangover!

"Seems like no matter what I do, I can't get rid of my hangover pain!"
Personally I have not only given up Twitter and don't do Facebook but I have blocked all of their tracking and other apps. If I really want to see a page that breaks because of it, in a new window, I select which apps I give temporary permission to . https://noscript.net/
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Pew Research | Differences in How Democrats and Republicans Behave on Twitter

PDL_10.15.20_twitter.party-00-0.png
PDL_10.15.20_twitter.party-00-0.png (185.95 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Off the Wall

Mike [Rowe]
Can you please share your thoughts about why Facebook suppressed the story about Joe Biden’s emails? It’s hard to know what to believe anymore.

Fran Marsh
[DEAR MS. MARSH, THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS SITE, PENDING FURTHER REVIEW. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER, WHEN WE’VE HAD TIME TO CONFIRM ITS ACCURACY. THANKS! FACEBOOK. 😀]

Just kidding, Fran. Facebook doesn’t check my posts for factual accuracy. At least, I don’t think they do. But what if they did? Would it comfort you to know that everything I write had been fact-checked? Would Facebook’s “seal of approval,” make this page a more credible source of information?
For those who haven’t heard, Facebook and Twitter recently suppressed a front page story in the New York Post that claims Hunter Biden’s personal computer is in the hands of the FBI, along with tens of thousands of emails, some of which appear to claim that Joe Biden was profiting from business deals with foreign governments while serving as Vice President. If the claims are true, the damage to Joe Biden’s campaign could be devastating. However, if the claims are false, the impact could still be very damaging. As Mark Twain said, “a lie can get halfway around the world before the truth has time to put its pants on,” and two weeks before an election, a lie is a dangerous thing. For that reason, Facebook and Twitter apparently decided to suppress the Post article until the claims therein could be confirmed. Consequently, some people are congratulating both companies for taking a stand against the spread of “fake news,” while others are condemning the decision as the very definition of hypocrisy, given the many unconfirmed articles from the mainstream press that both platforms have allowed to be shared – articles with unnamed sources and unsubstantiated claims that turned out to be factually inaccurate, and very bad for Donald Trump.

This latest drama, as I understand it, is unfolding because Facebook and Twitter are trying to decide what’s true and what isn’t, and that’s making a lot of people really anxious. Why? Because social media platforms are not supposed to be in the business of vetting the accuracy of content – that’s the job of a publisher. How would you feel if you called your best friend to discuss the contents of the Post article, only to have your call disconnected by AT&T because they didn’t believe the information in the article was accurate, and therefore not suitable for discussion? That would be upsetting, because AT&T is not supposed to be deciding what you can discuss. Why? Because AT&T is a platform, not a publisher. So too is Facebook. Social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook can’t be publishers, because they don’t generate their own content. They can’t possibly fact-check everything the mainstream media shares on their platform, or all of the billions of posts their users share every single day. Trust me on this.

So far this year, dozens of digital thieves have used my name and likeness to solicit people on Facebook for money. The scammers are relentless, and Facebook can’t stop them. Don’t get me wrong – they try. They’re trying to right now. But whenever they shut one down, another one pops up, like Whack-a-Mole. Likewise, my name and image have been used in countless fraudulent advertisements, many of which have also appeared on Facebook and other social media sites. (To add insult to injury, these advertisements are usually directed to men who are balding, overweight, or unable to achieve and maintain an erection. The indignity!) Point is, if Facebook can’t keep these two-bit fraudsters off of this page, how are they supposed to determine the accuracy of a controversial article published in the mainstream press? And why would they even want to?

Consider the liability that comes with being a publisher. If the Post prints a story that says Mike Rowe is a pedophile who runs a corrupt foundation that discriminates against minorities and skims money, I can sue them for libel. That’s my remedy. Likewise, Hunter Biden can sue the Post if it turns out they published a libelous article about him and his father. But neither of us can sue Facebook for allowing that article to be shared, any more than we can sue AT&T for allowing people to discuss the same article over the telephone. But if Facebook and Twitter start behaving like the Times and the Post, and position themselves as “guardians of the truth,” they expose themselves to the risk of being sued for anything they allow to be shared that turns out to be untrue. Why would they want to do that?

Yesterday, I had a chat with my neighbor, Claire, a lovely woman who loves Facebook, and thinks Returning the Favor is the best show ever. Like many of my neighbors, Claire applauded Facebook’s decision to suppress the Post article. Yesterday, while walking our respective mutts, she said to me, “How could any fair-minded person possibly object to waiting for a story like this be verified before it shows up in millions of news feeds?”
As I retrieved one of Freddy’s perfectly formed turds, I considered her question. “Before I answer, Claire, let me ask you something. Imagine the recovered laptop belonged to Donald Trump, Jr. Imagine The New York Times published an article that claimed the FBI was in possession of emails that implicated the President. Would you really want Facebook and Twitter to suppress a New York Times story, simply because they hadn’t verified it as 100% true?”

To her credit, Claire answered me honestly. “No,” she said. “I’d want that story to be out there for everyone to see.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Because Donald Trump has to go,” she said. “And sometimes, the ends justify the means.”

For a lot of well-intended voters, it really comes down to that. Many people genuinely believe that getting Donald Trump out of The White House is more important than anything else. Just like many others genuinely believe that Joe Biden must be stopped at any cost. Those are not bad people – but they are not unbiased. They are single-minded, and if "the end truly justifies the means," such people will do whatever it takes to achieve their goal. And that can be very, very dangerous. Especially when such people are in positions of power and influence.

At the base of all this, is the fundamental, undeniable truth that our freedom to speak freely often requires us to hear things we don’t like. We seem to have forgotten this. Once upon a time, the ACLU defended the KKK’s right to march, not because they agreed with them, but because the KKK has a right to be heard, and the ACLU wanted people to see them for what they were, pointy hats and all. “Sunshine,” they said, “is the best disinfectant.”
I think social media needs more sunshine. We don’t need to be “protected” from fake news, we need to be more skeptical of everything we read in social media, including this post. We don’t need another “safe space” to protect us from hateful speech, we need to see whose being hateful, and confront their bigotry with something more persuasive. It would be nice if hateful speech and fake news didn’t exist, but they do, and our best defense against them is not to suppress them, or hope they go away – lies and hate will always be with us. Our best defense against them is the freedom to confront them in the public square. Ideally, in a place filled with sunshine, that quotes Voltaire at the top of every page:

“I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it.”

Over the last ten years, that’s what Facebook has been for me – an open platform where I can share and discuss the news of the day with six million of my closest friends, and answer their questions as honestly as I can. I don’t know what the next ten years holds for journalism or social media, but I sincerely hope the people in charge of what we’re allowed to talk about can see beyond this election. I believe we must insist that they do, or else, risk losing the essential freedoms our ancestors fought so hard to secure. And that would leave us all, well and truly fu…[REMAINDER OF POST DELETED FOR COARSENESS.]

122344181_3732110840132365_3540792712027400425_n.jpg
122344181_3732110840132365_3540792712027400425_n.jpg (173.52 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Doc

Post by Doc »

Anyone that uses social media should lose their right to vote

5dZ_lvDgevk
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

How availability cascades are shaping our politics - Vincent Harinam and David Kopel, Quillette, 26 October 2020
https://quillette.com/2020/10/26/how-av ... -politics/

... According to a Cato Institute poll, 62 percent of Americans say that the current political climate prevents them from expressing their views. Majorities of Democrats (52 percent), independents (59 percent) and Republicans (77 percent) now self-censor. The only group where the majority did not feel pressured into silence were leftist Democrats. Another study found that the higher the level of education, the greater the self-censorship.

Moderates may be the worst off. Whereas the right wing and left wing can retreat to zones where their views are reinforced rather than vilified, moderates cannot. The moderate who rejects the dominant views of the Left and the Right is shouted down by both sides. For moderates, there exists no safe haven from the culture wars.

Infectious diseases can spread faster today than in the past because of better transportation and mobility. Likewise, availability cascades spread faster and wider because of improvements in communication. Part of the problem is social media’s utility for propagating half-truths and worse.
Availability cascades can only occur when an influence network exhibits a “critical mass” of early adopters. For an availability cascade to occur, a minimum number of individuals must first adopt it. Once this threshold is reached, the cascade becomes self-sustaining with more and more adopting it. Persons A and B declare support for a particular position. Person C disagrees but is worried about retaliation if he dissents; so, he pretends to agree with the position. Person D sees that C is going along, so D goes along too. As social media drives information flows and connects swaths of people, critical mass can be achieved much faster. Social media is a cascade builder.

Social media also allows unscrupulous organizations with small support to appear much larger than they really are. For example, former CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson in her 2017 book explained how Media Matters, a left-wing pressure group, uses a tiny but incessant number of Twitter users to bombard corporations with messages that—to a naïve corporate public relations department—have the appearance of a large grassroots movement.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Apollonius wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:26 pm How availability cascades are shaping our politics - Vincent Harinam and David Kopel, Quillette, 26 October 2020
https://quillette.com/2020/10/26/how-av ... -politics/

... According to a Cato Institute poll, 62 percent of Americans say that the current political climate prevents them from expressing their views. Majorities of Democrats (52 percent), independents (59 percent) and Republicans (77 percent) now self-censor. The only group where the majority did not feel pressured into silence were leftist Democrats. Another study found that the higher the level of education, the greater the self-censorship.

Moderates may be the worst off. Whereas the right wing and left wing can retreat to zones where their views are reinforced rather than vilified, moderates cannot. The moderate who rejects the dominant views of the Left and the Right is shouted down by both sides. For moderates, there exists no safe haven from the culture wars.

Infectious diseases can spread faster today than in the past because of better transportation and mobility. Likewise, availability cascades spread faster and wider because of improvements in communication. Part of the problem is social media’s utility for propagating half-truths and worse.
Availability cascades can only occur when an influence network exhibits a “critical mass” of early adopters. For an availability cascade to occur, a minimum number of individuals must first adopt it. Once this threshold is reached, the cascade becomes self-sustaining with more and more adopting it. Persons A and B declare support for a particular position. Person C disagrees but is worried about retaliation if he dissents; so, he pretends to agree with the position. Person D sees that C is going along, so D goes along too. As social media drives information flows and connects swaths of people, critical mass can be achieved much faster. Social media is a cascade builder.

Social media also allows unscrupulous organizations with small support to appear much larger than they really are. For example, former CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson in her 2017 book explained how Media Matters, a left-wing pressure group, uses a tiny but incessant number of Twitter users to bombard corporations with messages that—to a naïve corporate public relations department—have the appearance of a large grassroots movement.
IF you get 20 people to show up at a Small town city council meeting against something the Council will retreat from doing what the 20 people are against. They may figure out a way to get their way. But in any event propaganda has been going on for a long long time So the communication revolution has greatly increased its effect. It is now a virtually communicative disease. :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Substack - Taibbi | Glenn Greenwald On His Resignation From The Intercept
Now, reporters are ratting each other out on their [the US intelligence community's] behalf, with the aim of creating an absolute political monoculture. Having pushed out one of journalism’s most accomplished members, they’ve nearly succeeded.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Perhaps this thread should be renamed to "Criminal matters" as Twitter is now censoring legitimate questions about the elections
48XTER6miGI
NapLajoieonSteroids

cadNySpwyCI

Maoism with American characteristics. :)
Doc

Post by Doc »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:32 am cadNySpwyCI

Maoism with American characteristics. :)
Yeah I wonder how long it will be before Mao is demoted from godhood and it become Xi-ism