Impeached

NapLajoieonSteroids

Impeached

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

So President Trump has become the third president impeached. I think this deserves a thread of its own.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Impeached

noddy

Post by noddy »

As I understand (not very well) the upper house now needs to go through with it and that is Republican controlled.

So, if they dont choose to escalate, whats the consequence ?

Obviously the partisan theatre and deep state damage of the belief in democracy isnt going anywhere, I meant beyond that.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 am As I understand (not very well) the upper house now needs to go through with it and that is Republican controlled.

So, if they dont choose to escalate, whats the consequence ?

Obviously the partisan theatre and deep state damage of the belief in democracy isnt going anywhere, I meant beyond that.
Well, the upper house has the power to convict with a 2/3 majority after the trial- the rules of the trial set by the Senate itself along agreed upon parliamentary rules. The lower house brings the case to the Senate, with one side acting as the prosecutor and the other as the defense. [Lots of horse trading at this point, especially about who gets to play lawyer in the Senate]

Considering not a single house republican voted for impeachment, I think the likelihood of enough Senate Republicans going for a conviction is slim.

So it's a dead issue and over with, right?

No, because now the lawfare starts. In perhaps an even more unprecendented move than an impeachment without any crime attached, the Speaker of the House is now holding the process hostage. The Democratic Party argument is that the House can hand over the impeachment trial when it pleases, and otherwise sit on the articles forever if it so chooses.

The claim is that the impeachment bill will not get an impartial hearing from Senate Republicans as currently constituted, so can't be entrusted to them.

Which means that the Democrats will run Senate campaigns on the issue- in the event they can gain a majority which can then set its own parliamentary rules or deploy the impeachment whenever it is politically expedient for them to do so.

In effect, they get to hold a sword over everyone's heads for as long as they please. This is FUBAR.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NapLajoieonSteroids

The above is what I'm talking about. It is a unbelievably brazen tactic to pressure the Senate and rally the voting base for the next election.

A few nights ago, we were discussing what the big deal of a no confidence vote is....well, to put it in parliamentary terms, could you imagine any Australian government voting no confidence for the Prime Minister and his or her government but then saying that no confidence vote is contingent on when they wish to employ it?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Senate can choose to dismiss the impeachment case or host a full blown trial on a majority vote. The ball is in the Repub's court now.

Lot's of callers to conservative talk shows are hoping for a full blown trial to expose the shannigans of the dems and the Obama administration. At one point this week, even Limbaugh hoped the repubs would have the balls to do so. I would like to see the same. Several months of airing dirty laundry would be amazing.

The danger is anything can happen during the trial, and if enough repubs feel they might be implicated, they might vote to remove Trump, or if even one defects, the guilty verdict while not carrying the day with a majority vote, now has the "bi-partisan" seal of approval which the MSM can spin as legitimacy.

Fascinating times.

I wonder if more repubs in the house and senate are now thinking they should have supported Trump more during his first two years and maybe they would not have lost the house in 2018. But, when the red man fears the orange man more than the blue man...... whatcha gonna do?

As they say: "Two's company, three's a crowd!"
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 am

The above is what I'm talking about. It is a unbelievably brazen tactic to pressure the Senate and rally the voting base for the next election.

A few nights ago, we were discussing what the big deal of a no confidence vote is....well, to put it in parliamentary terms, could you imagine any Australian government voting no confidence for the Prime Minister and his or her government but then saying that no confidence vote is contingent on when they wish to employ it?
Yeh, thats outright crazy.

No confidence is a serious situation in which a magority of the government believes the PM is a threat to good governance, it requires an immediate fix up of the mess by definition, you cant have it both ways.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:28 am I wonder if more repubs in the house and senate are now thinking they should have supported Trump more during his first two years and maybe they would not have lost the house in 2018.
I wonder the same about "moderate" "swing" and triangle voters. They are always the root cause.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

How is this leverage.

Impeachment as a story is now dead. The Democrat dog caught the bumper.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The interesting part will be to see:
a. Do the repubs in the senate fold, if so, I think they screw themselves
b. Which base gets rallied more by their brazenness, the anti-Trumpers or the pro-Trumpers?

Just like the dem primary in 2008, and the repub primary in 2016, I think it has gone beyond Dems vs Repubs now.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Simple Minded wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:29 am
Just like the dem primary in 2008, and the repub primary in 2016, I think it has gone beyond Dems vs Repubs now.
And you would be wrong once again.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Mr. Perfect wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:28 am How is this leverage.

Impeachment as a story is now dead. The Democrat dog caught the bumper.

NapLajoieonSteroids

Two more:

NapLajoieonSteroids

This is our political situation

What was it two weeks ago? Donald Trump uses a bigger salt shaker than the one provided to his guests?

here it is:

Trump Salt and Pepper Shakers are massive
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

tldr.

Impeachment is now dead.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Mr. Perfect wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:29 am tldr.

Impeachment is now dead.
No skin off my nose, but can't go into emo-mode when Nancy uses this as pretext in the courts for what she really wants.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:27 am
Simple Minded wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:28 am I wonder if more repubs in the house and senate are now thinking they should have supported Trump more during his first two years and maybe they would not have lost the house in 2018.
I wonder the same about "moderate" "swing" and triangle voters. They are always the root cause.
If it wasnt for that meddling 75% of the population, life would be simple.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:39 am
Mr. Perfect wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:29 am tldr.

Impeachment is now dead.
No skin off my nose, but can't go into emo-mode when Nancy uses this as pretext in the courts for what she really wants.
She can't. Democrat twitter has been delusional on those issues from before Trump's election, this changes nothing.

The intrigue is over. This appears to be your first impeachment, but it's not mine. It's now effectively dead.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

noddy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 am
It's about 5-10% that are the problem.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Here, we are 110% in agreement.

The 20% of voters who are hard core partisan dem and the 20% who are hard core partisan repub, determine nothing in elections. They are dogs on short chains. Neither party has to work for their vote.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:00 am This is our political situation

What was it two weeks ago? Donald Trump uses a bigger salt shaker than the one provided to his guests?

here it is:

Trump Salt and Pepper Shakers are massive
I think in this instance, salt and pepper shakers are phallic symbols. I just can't quite get a grip on either.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:11 am
Yep! It's kinda like what they say about women.

"You can't live with em, and you can't live without em."

You can be convinced of the superiority of your own DNA, but it breaks down in the long run when you start breeding with members of your immediate family. So I hear..... ;)

Life is so unfair when you are a binoid with bi-polar disorder...... (tm)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 am
The intrigue is over. This appears to be your first impeachment, but it's not mine. It's now effectively dead.
The biggest difference between today and 1998, is that in 1998 Clinton's party stuck up for him. Repubs should have listened to some old clips of Gerald Nadler or Maxine Waters from 1998. Repubs were practicing their Silent Bob imitations.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I heard the Soap Opera Union Local 454 is filling suit against both parties for unfair govt subsidies.....

today should be even better.....

Breaking news! Orange Man declares he is a gay, trans, Democrat, woman of color, the day after his impeachment.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Baseless Impeachment is painless but it brings on many changes
EMKCJxgX0AIjFuP.png
EMKCJxgX0AIjFuP.png (16.23 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros