Western Taliban

Carbizene

Western Taliban

Post by Carbizene »

Weston is no place for getting down on the dance floor.

The city has no nightclubs or dance halls and, thanks to a new ordinance, it never will.

The commission specifically banned those kinds of businesses, and skating rinks, to prevent a temporary rink from being used conceal a nightclub or dance hall, said City Manager John Flint.
Marcus

Re: Western Taliban

Post by Marcus »

Also from the link posted above:
The reason for the city's ban: Crime and crowds.

Nightclubs, dance halls and skating rinks all attract "large crowds" on a nightly basis, the new law says, which can cause traffic and noise problems for residents and businesses nearby and strain city resources.

And, the newly passed ordinance points out, there have been numerous recent calls to the Broward Sheriff's Office about alcohol and narcotics use at nightclubs in the county.

These and other "unlawful and/or undesirable activities" at the nightclubs and dance halls in nearby cities made Weston want to change its code, Flint said.

Violence at nightclubs is on the rise throughout South Florida.

Last year, there were at least nine instances of gunfire in or around South Florida nightclubs, more than twice the number of the year before. In the past decade, 20 lives, nearly all young people, were ended by gunfire in or near a nightclub.

And since 2002, five people — four in Broward, one in Palm Beach County — have been killed in nightclub stabbings.
Heaven forbid these folks should be able to choose . . . :o
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:Weston is no place for getting down on the dance floor.

The city has no nightclubs or dance halls and, thanks to a new ordinance, it never will.

The commission specifically banned those kinds of businesses, and skating rinks, to prevent a temporary rink from being used conceal a nightclub or dance hall, said City Manager John Flint.
Never ceases to amaze that some people are so concerned that someone, somewhere may be having fun.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Typhoon wrote:
Carbizene wrote:Weston is no place for getting down on the dance floor.

Never ceases to amaze that some people are so concerned that someone, somewhere may be having fun.
I know people like that . . .
cultivate a white rose
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Typhoon wrote:
I figure it's Jealousy, "if I can't do it, you can't do it".
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Marcus wrote:Also from the link posted above:
The reason for the city's ban: Crime and crowds.

Nightclubs, dance halls and skating rinks all attract "large crowds" on a nightly basis, the new law says, which can cause traffic and noise problems for residents and businesses nearby and strain city resources.
Roller skate violence is off the hook, as exposed in the documentary 'the Warriors':

What next, Football? I hear they have large crowds that can get out of control.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Well this is scary. I imagine in no time Weston will be cover for terrorist organizations.
Censorship isn't necessary
Marcus

Free choice in a free nation . . .

Post by Marcus »

Typhoon wrote:Never ceases to amaze that some people are so concerned that someone, somewhere may be having fun.
Never ceases to amaze me that some people want to dictate what other free people decide is and isn't in their own best interests. How big a town is Weston? Do they not have the right to decide as a community what they wish to allow within their sphere of authority, or must they check to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Welcome to The City of Weston

Weston is a family-oriented, master-planned community that strives to embrace each and every resident. Weston’s well managed growth has given rise to one of South Florida’s most desirable communities, both residential and corporate.

With a culturally diverse population, Weston is comprised of the finest residential neighborhoods, and a diverse corporate, commercial and retail environment. We are a safe community with A-rated public schools, superior parks and recreational facilities, a progressive government that is financially strong and a community-wide appearance that cities around the world wish to emulate.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Marcus

Here we go again . . .

Post by Marcus »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well this is scary. I imagine in no time Weston will be cover for terrorist organizations.
No doubt using churches as cover. . the horror . . . :shock:
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Carbizene

Re: Free choice in a free nation . . .

Post by Carbizene »

Marcus wrote: Do they not have the right to decide as a community what they wish to allow within their sphere of authority, or must they check to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Does not the Taliban have the right to ennact laws without checking to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Marcus

Free choice in a free nation . . .

Post by Marcus »

Carbizene wrote:
Marcus wrote: Do they not have the right to decide as a community what they wish to allow within their sphere of authority, or must they check to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Does not the Taliban have the right to ennact laws without checking to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Taliban have the right to believe as their conscience dictates. You're the only one talking about the Taliban here.

The article you linked referred to an American community's freedom to govern itself under American law.

If Weston ranks, in your estimation, as some sort of "Western Taliban," how about my city, Soldotna, Alaska. We won't allow adult bookstores. What does that make us—Al Quaeda? Come on up . . I'll introduce you to our Chamber of Commerce.
braveheart (1).jpg
braveheart (1).jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Scotland is free . . . and so are we . . .
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Enki

Post by Enki »

Marcus wrote:Never ceases to amaze me that some people want to dictate what other free people decide is and isn't in their own best interests. How big a town is Weston? Do they not have the right to decide as a community what they wish to allow within their sphere of authority, or must they check to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Love the Newspeak. A small number of people are choosing what everyone in town can do, and you are defending them based on the notion of a right to choose.

Hilarious.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

oops
Marcus

Take a look in the mirror . . .

Post by Marcus »

Enki wrote:
Marcus wrote:Never ceases to amaze me that some people want to dictate what other free people decide is and isn't in their own best interests. How big a town is Weston? Do they not have the right to decide as a community what they wish to allow within their sphere of authority, or must they check to see whether their tastes are offending someone?
Love the Newspeak. A small number of people are choosing what everyone in town can do, and you are defending them based on the notion of a right to choose. Hilarious.
Newspeak? Newspeak, you say? Since when is the American Constitution Newspeak?

No, the real Newspeak is the Taliban who want to force their personal preferences on a free people in the name of license. Where do you live, Tinker? Up here we elect our city council and borough assembly members. We decide who writes our ordinances, and folks like you, who happen to get your panties in a wad 'cause you don't agree, have no right to dictate your preferences to us. This is a free country, even if you don't like it.

Taliban? Take a look in the mirror:
reflction.jpeg
reflction.jpeg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 406 times
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Enki wrote:
Love the Newspeak. A small number of people are choosing what everyone in town can do, and you are defending them based on the notion of a right to choose.

Hilarious.
Yea this is nothing like the big apple where you can't use transfats or smoke or carry a concealed weapon, it's nothing like that in New York CIty is it Tinker???
Been busy doing stuff
Marcus

Free people, free choice despite the Taliban . .

Post by Marcus »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Enki wrote:Love the Newspeak. A small number of people are choosing what everyone in town can do, and you are defending them based on the notion of a right to choose. Hilarious.
Yea this is nothing like the big apple where you can't use transfats or smoke or carry a concealed weapon, it's nothing like that in New York CIty is it Tinker???
No! You're not serious! The Taliban have taken New York City?
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Marcus wrote:We won't allow adult bookstores.
Were you afraid the internet would find out you were cheating on it?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Sparky wrote:
Marcus wrote:We won't allow adult bookstores.
Were you afraid the internet would find out you were cheating on it?
Not hardly . . we do have a titty-bar a half-block outside the city limits . . for those so inclined . . . :oops:

Our Taliban's reach only extends so far . . Tinker would approve . . ;)
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin