COVID-19 and Other Pandemics | Anarchy in the USA

This too shall pass.
Doc

Re: The Potential Pandemic | Ebola, MERS, and other fears

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 am one for Nonc - it seems to help with prophylaxis.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... b014831e14
His team started testing healthcare workers in early June in a clinical trial in hospitals along Australia’s east coast – which have been hardest hit by COVID-19.

The aim is simple, to see whether the drug can stop people getting the virus.

“It’s been highly politicised but we thought it’s best to use proper science to understand whether it plays any role in preventing people getting COVID-19,” he said.

There are now roughly 200 medical workers using hydroxychloroquine as part of the trial, and by January next year the results will be in.

It’s too early to say what those results could look like, but Prof Pellegrini says the science already tells us the drug doesn’t work as a treatment for coronavirus.

However, his team is looking at whether it can be used as something called a pre-exposure prophylaxis, which means it could work as a preventive before someone comes into contact with somebody with COVID-19.
The strange studies of Hydroxychlorquine.
Either given to people who are near death or given in doses that are multiple times higher than generally recommended

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzXHnUViro[/youtube]
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I kinda figured we'd all be dead by now. Maybe it wasn't in the papers?

I hear a week from now, a close passing asteroid just might cure COVID-19.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average.png
daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average.png (5.36 MiB) Viewed 1122 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Relative risk update.

2020 - Sept- 26. 1:23 PM EST

Global deaths attributed to COVID-19: 990,473

Up two levels to between "HIV" and "Tuberculosis".

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause.png (607.2 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

USA deaths attributed to COVID-19: 204,093

Up one level to between other "Respiratory diseases" and "Dementia".

annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png
annual-number-of-deaths-by-cause_USA.png (551.15 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Visual Capitalist | Visualizing the History of Pandemics

DeadliestPandemics-Infographic-84.jpg
DeadliestPandemics-Infographic-84.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1089 times
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

If Trump drops out and Pence takes over..... could be a strategy. Then if Biden drops out and Harris takes over....

Be still my heart.... Please God.....
kmich

Post by kmich »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm
If Trump drops out and Pence takes over..... could be a strategy. Then if Biden drops out and Harris takes over....

It seems indecent to me to view this situation in political terms.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 pm

I agree.

But if one turns on the TV, or listens to the radio, the medical community has been coopted by the political class and the chattering classes about one hour after this crises emerged. In comparison, the medical community has a very small microphone, even though their potential affected audience includes every human being on the planet.

It's like the difference between one who wants to solve a problem, and one who wishes to use the problem for power or financial gain.

"Never let a crises go to waste!" is, I believe the operating philosophy.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 pm
kmich wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:09 pm

I agree.

But if one turns on the TV, or listens to the radio, the medical community has been coopted by the political class and the chattering classes about one hour after this crises emerged.

It's like the difference between one who wants to solve a problem, and one who wishes to use the problem for power or financial gain.

"Never let a crises go to waste!" is, I believe the operating philosophy.
Look who else is doing it always comes in handy as good excuse.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:35 pm
Look who else is doing it always comes in handy as good excuse.
:D

Amen. I'm not above attending a hopping pool party just cause someone else might have pee'd in the pool!

Paraphrasing Dennis Miller "While some think my jokes (on religion) are offensive, my god thinks I have an awesome sense of humor. Which is part of the reason I chose him as my God!"
kmich

Post by kmich »

The president's physician stated that he is doing well and could be discharged back to the White House on Monday. Hope he gets well soon.

On the other hand, he is being given dexamethasone, which is applied to lower mortality among those who were receiving either invasive mechanical ventilation or oxygen, so that would indicate that the president has a significant illness that could be fatal. Hard to know what to make of all this, although I am sure that adequate physician, material, and technical support could be arranged at the White House if he is discharged tomorrow even if he continues to require mechanical ventilation or supplemental O2.

There are three possible courses for this illness for the president. Best case, he gets better in a week or two and gets back on the campaign trail boasting how he conquered the "China flu." The second scenario is that he slips into ARDS and dies. The third is that he recovers with problematic sequelae: severe fatigue, periodic fevers, shortness of breath, coughs, headaches, and difficulties with concentration for several weeks or many months to come. We will not know how this will sort out for a couple of weeks.

Trump is receiving dexamethasone, a steroid usually given to patients with severe Covid-19
Doc

Post by Doc »

I noticed that the CCP has an outbreak of Bubonic Plague in two different regions. They are acting much like they acted with the CCP-Virus Raising the threat level in inner mongolia to stage four while denying there is a major problem.

Perhaps the CCP feels that Bubonic Plague prevents Covid-19. IE if you die of Bubonic plague you are then immune to Covid-19

Also the NYT goes full racist - xenophobic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/worl ... tw-nytimes
Published Sept. 30, 2020Updated Oct. 1, 2020

The World Health Organization said open borders would help fight disease. Experts, and a global treaty, emphatically agreed. But the scientific evidence was never behind them.
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.closertotruth.com/articles/ ... s-pandemic

A Darwinian Reflects on the Coronavirus Pandemic
Doc

Post by Doc »

The point of the lockdown was to slow the spread until treatment was understood enough to lower the death rate of an unknown disease.

The coronavirus lock downs should have ended in May
covid10122020.jpg
covid10122020.jpg (59.55 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

The incredible vanishing World Health Organization - Cockburn, The Spectator, 12 October 2020
https://spectator.us/lockdown-incredibl ... anization/

In an interview last Thursday on Spectator TV, WHO special envoy David Nabarro warned seven months too late that the ubiquitous global response to the coronavirus pandemic might be a bit of an oopsie-daisy:

‘We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus,’ Nabarro said. ‘Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer… It seems that we may well have a doubling of world poverty by next year. We may well have at least a doubling of child malnutrition.’

[...]

Cockburn was waiting eagerly for the press’s response to Nabarro’s claims (thanks to the mass cancellation of events, ‘waiting eagerly’ is a top diversion in these times). An expert at the world’s premier health organization calling into doubt the controversial centerpiece of an enormously-costly response to a virus that has proven far less deadly than initially feared? That should be stupendous argument fodder, at least. All year, leaders have ritualistically invoked Science as a justification for their actions. How will they respond to Science reaching conclusions that don’t allow elites to relax at home while collecting a safe salary and accumulating power?

It turns out, they just don’t respond at all. Per its website’s search feature, the New York Times has produced 675 pieces of writing in the past week mentioning ‘coronavirus’. Somehow, it couldn’t find the time for a single mention of Nabarro’s announcement. The Washington Post was even worse, with almost 1,600 ‘coronavirus’ mentions in the past week but not a single instance of Nabarro’s name. A search of the Wall Street Journal produced a friendly suggestion that Cockburn might have meant Trump admin economist Peter Navarro.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Doc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm The point of the lockdown was to slow the spread until treatment was understood enough to lower the death rate of an unknown disease.

covid10122020.jpg
yah, the initial couple of months was needed to let everyone in the hospital and retail systems adjust and only required a small stimulus to support.

the ongoing full lockdowns in many places are unjustified madness - all shops now home deliver, all hospitals are now fully on top of how to isolate/treat it.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Apollonius wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:11 am The incredible vanishing World Health Organization - Cockburn, The Spectator, 12 October 2020
https://spectator.us/lockdown-incredibl ... anization/
thanks for posting Apollonius. As they say in the old country: "If you want to break somebody's eggs (or balls), making an omelet is a good excuse!"

If not deliberate sabotage, it is a great example of the continuing ability of the policy makers inability to estimate hidden costs, and unintended consequences.
Doc

Post by Doc »

noddy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:35 am
Doc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm The point of the lockdown was to slow the spread until treatment was understood enough to lower the death rate of an unknown disease.

covid10122020.jpg
yah, the initial couple of months was needed to let everyone in the hospital and retail systems adjust and only required a small stimulus to support.

the ongoing full lockdowns in many places are unjustified madness - all shops now home deliver, all hospitals are now fully on top of how to isolate/treat it.
I agree. The initial lock downs were to prevent the medical system being overwhelmed. Without access to critical care the death rate would have been much higher. There was no knowledge on what worked and what didn't worked. No knowledge on how it spread. "15 days to flatten the curve" was what was asked for. Then it got political and that "15 days" turned into "Until the election to flatten the curve"

The goal is to reach herd immunity. Either by a vaccine or by enough people getting the virus and surviving. Lockdowns impede that from happening.

KbLbHyC2URk

Many have argued that the above is not a good idea because it would lead to more people dying. But that is without taking into account that coronavirus can and will mutate over time. The longer it is allowed to fester the greater the danger of that.

https://www.twexit.com/twexit-updates/p ... d-millions

"
But Dr David Nabarro, Great Britain's envoy to the WHO, last week called lockdowns a 'ghastly global catastrophe', said the policy would double the levels of world poverty and child malnutrition, and called on governments to end the policy.
Early in the pandemic, Facebook and Twitter designated the World Health Organization (WHO) as their primary authoritative source for information on the virus, including recommendations for lockdowns and strict social distancing. Both publishers blocked, removed or flagged posts that challenged or condemned lockdown orders, citing WHO guidelines.

In typical authoritarian fashion, Facebook and Twitter chose to push one centralized source while browning out content offering different perspectives or competing recommendations,” said Mr. Wernick. “The resulting policy of extended lockdowns that shuttered and shattered our economy, closed our schools, and drove us to social isolation, has been an utter disaster.

“Now we see WHO officials condemning the very lockdown policy they themselves orchestrated. Clearly, the WHO failed. Facebook reinforced that central point of failure and was instrumental in driving global lockdowns and amplifying their disastrous consequences. Millions of our most vulnerable will now go hungry, grow ill, or even die as a direct result. Facebook and Twitter, both of which experienced tremendous financial gains during that same period, are complicit in that suffering.

“To best address complex issues like the global Covid pandemic requires that policy makers, as well as members of the public generally be equipped with data from multiple sources and perspectives. Human beings, even so-called ‘experts,’ are fallible. Technoauthoritarians like Facebook destroy the flow of information, prevent the natural human process of learning and error correction, and thereby drive bad policy—often with disastrous results. It’s time to #Erasebook, #Twexit and join the movement at Parler.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bloomberg | Record 200 Days With No Local Case Makes Taiwan World’s Envy
What did this island [nation] of 23 million people do right? It has had 553 confirmed cases, with only seven deaths. Experts say closing borders early and tightly regulating travel have gone a long way toward fighting the virus. Other factors include rigorous contact tracing, technology-enforced quarantine and widespread mask wearing.
coronavirus-data-explorer.png
coronavirus-data-explorer.png (5.56 MiB) Viewed 799 times
Also, well played, Australia.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Meanwhile under the category of so obvious, someone ought to say it out loud.....

The only way "we will be safe" is by reaching herd immunity. And the only way to achieve herd immunity is to embrace and practice racism/xenophobia!

Does God have a wicked sense of humor or what?
kmich

Post by kmich »

ACEP Rebuts President Trump’s False Statements about Overcounting COVID-19 Deaths
On behalf of the nation’s emergency physicians, ACEP is appalled by President Trump’s reckless and false assertions that physicians are overcounting deaths related to COVID-19. Emergency physicians and other health care workers have risked their lives day in and day out for almost a year battling the greatest public health crisis in a generation—all while watching countless patients die alone, going to work without sufficient protection equipment, and struggling with crushing anxiety about getting sick or spreading the virus to their loved ones.

To imply that emergency physicians would inflate the number of deaths from this pandemic to gain financially is offensive, especially as many are actually under unprecedented financial strain as they continue to bear the brunt of COVID-19. These baseless claims not only do a disservice to our health care heroes but promulgate the dangerous wave of misinformation which continues to hinder our nation’s efforts to get the pandemic under control and allow our nation to return to normalcy.
Doc

Post by Doc »

kmich wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:00 pm ACEP Rebuts President Trump’s False Statements about Overcounting COVID-19 Deaths
On behalf of the nation’s emergency physicians, ACEP is appalled by President Trump’s reckless and false assertions that physicians are overcounting deaths related to COVID-19. Emergency physicians and other health care workers have risked their lives day in and day out for almost a year battling the greatest public health crisis in a generation—all while watching countless patients die alone, going to work without sufficient protection equipment, and struggling with crushing anxiety about getting sick or spreading the virus to their loved ones.

To imply that emergency physicians would inflate the number of deaths from this pandemic to gain financially is offensive, especially as many are actually under unprecedented financial strain as they continue to bear the brunt of COVID-19. These baseless claims not only do a disservice to our health care heroes but promulgate the dangerous wave of misinformation which continues to hinder our nation’s efforts to get the pandemic under control and allow our nation to return to normalcy.
Cq8iQ65p9B0