Bout dat Green Thang......

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Simple Minded

Bout dat Green Thang......

Post by Simple Minded »

Credit goes to Typhoon for orginally posting.... this is toooooo good to hide in the Levitas forum:

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have "the green thing" in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have "the green thing"back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling. Then we were able to personalize our books.
But too bad we didn't do "the green thing"back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.
But she was right. We didn't have "the green thing"in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that young lady is right; we didn't have "the green thing"back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them)?, not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; we didn't have "the green thing"back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. Or shaved for decades with the same straight razor.
But we didn't have "the green thing"back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we older folks were just because we didn't have "the green thing"back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish older person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

This is not to disparage the young for being ignorant and arrogant, cause we were all like that (or meybe most of us still is)... remember the old saying meant to convey forgiveness/tolerance and the need for guidance/responsibility of guiding of the young: "They're just kids... they don't know nothin!"

nor to blame the current state of the world on the jung, that would just be stupid.

But just for reference...... Back then it wasn't called "green" or "sustainable" it was called "living within your means" or "being practical" or "being responsible" or horrors of all horrors "having common sense!!!!!!" I'm told this is insulting to some younguns today ;)

I recall:
shoveling snow
putting 100 hours of labor into a junk car and driving it for 3 years (greener than a Hybrid by any measure)
pushing a lawn mower (as the comedian joked "America is the land of riding lawn mowers and stationary bicycles!")
hoeing a garden
swimming in a pond (no filter, no electricity, no polluting chlorine)
getting your snacks from a field or a tree
non-supervised, non-organized recreation
skating without ice skates
sliding down a hill on anything but a sled
pulling weeds by hand
dandelion salad
freaking out the first time I ever saw a bean picker, what a marvelously complicated piece of machinery
hanging out with the migrant worker kids (they didn't view themselves as poor, oppressed, or disenfranchised........ huh....weird)
customing your bicycle with an old can of spray paint and tape, or swapping parts with your buddy's bike, instead of whining to get a new one, IIRC whinning often resulted in pain :(
Bicycles and shoes were the primary form of transportation
half of your recreation was often doing chores with your buddies, cause "everyone" had chores to do before they could play (reeks of social justice and community organizing doesn't it....)

No wonder I have so little "compassion" for the "poor" and "disenfranchised..." :lol:
No wonder people hate hearing about "attitude..." :lol: :lol:
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: Bout dat Green Thang......

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Querulous old people...... another reason why we should beat 'em to death...... :twisted: ..........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Querulous old people...... another reason why we should beat 'em to death...... :twisted: ..........
Wow..... :o that has long been a fantasy of mine...... 8-) tell me what you plan on wearing....... :P

Outa all the posters here who claim to be mind readers, you just might be the only one who really has the power....... ;)

As we Old Farts like to say "Waste not, want not....." As long as you haul my corpse over to the Solent Green processing facility before I decompose........... I doubt the Green Police will press charges.....

you can always claim "Social Justice" as your motive....... cept if I'm wearing my hoodie......

Oh wait...... Querulous?........ HOMOPHOBE!!!

http://www.catchhimandkeephim.com/index ... 7QodtSqv_A
Marcus

Put your money where your mouth is, girl . . .

Post by Marcus »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Querulous old people...... another reason why we should beat 'em to death...... :twisted: ..........
C'mon up, Lizz, and give it a try on me . . you wanna play whup-ass? I'm your huckleberry . . ;)

Cool it, get out in the woods and pick some morels . . ought to be comin' on about now in your neck of the woods . . . durr . . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Yeah...... the morels should be coming out about now......'>........

okay....... so the kid is a smartass. Maybe that's legitimate wages for having a stake drove through your tail and left for the crows to peck your eyes out. Anyway, the homey position is way overplayed and the original point still remains. Considerable waste and destruction of resource is the blight of human communities and especially so since the advent of the Industrial Age. And washing bottles is no more 'green' than blowing them from reclaimed plastic. The same problem with electric cars, they don't reduce pollution, they just concentrate it at a central source - the coal burning power plant.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:. . Considerable waste and destruction of resource is the blight of human communities and especially so since the advent of the Industrial Age. . .
Been there, done that up here, Lizz . . .
"It was no doubt gratuitous, even sentimental, but looking at the butterfly on the young whore's ass, I thought of the long snaking pipeline falling from Prudhoe Bay across the interior of Alaska to the Bay of Valdez. I thought: If Alaska is not our young whore, what is she? She is rich, but who can live with her? She is full of all that will pleasure us, but she is hard and cold to the bone. And if we scar her, leave her with pestilence and corrupted with infection, irrefutably marked with our own private design, who can blame us? Didn't we buy her for a trifling sum to start?"

Going Down in Valdez, Harry Crews
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:
okay....... so the kid is a smartass......... Anyway, the homey position is way overplayed and the original point still remains. Considerable waste and destruction of resource is the blight of human communities and especially so since the advent of the Industrial Age.......
Damn Lizz......do you know how mush, must, much that hurts? :( :(

I guess I just need to calm myself down and keep in mind that people only get upset with the ones they love. ;)

Actually, I have been called both a smartass and a dumbass many times..... almost seems like former would be a compliment, but nope, surprizingly.... that's usually not how it is intended. :o

You are right I do like to overplay the homey position.... just to provide a little balance to the ubiquitous current zeitgeist of "The world's a terrible place!!!, Armageddon is right effing now!!!, We're all gonna die...." I guess one outa three ain't bad, but who knows when.....

Marcus: Remember when the old farts used to say "It can't all be ice cream!" this just might be one of those times....

As I said before I've lived thru a half dozen very popular scenarios where "experts agreed" the end of the world was eminent... everybody loved gettin all bent out of shape.... and none of them ever happened.... unless of course Steve Martin was right..... ;)

Still love ya Baby Doll.... and remember, life is still good, no matter what the really, really, really, really, smart people tell ya.... ;) Some people just gots to bring ya down til yur as miserable as them....... dey seem to think happiness is relative....

Carpe diem...
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The other funny thing about my original post is I know more than a few who would read it and reply:

"Man.... those were the good old days!"

and then a few who would reply:

Man... I remember those days..... being poor sucked...... people are so much better off now!"
noddy

Post by noddy »

between the depression of the 30's and the war machine sucking up all the resources in the 40's people didnt have much choice but to make every little thang valuable...the same crew went spac on "stuff" in the 50's when the conditions improved.

then their was a big downturn in the 70's and another smaller one in the 80's that affected my parents and my generations quite hard, we tend to look back on those and remember the frugal times between gravy trains.

the greenies are just like the other doomsday cult of end times christians, they want it smashed back to nothing so we can all be humble little respectful types again.
dont blame em, but hey.. humans are consistently stupid enough create apocolyptic endtimes without any political effort from me, dont see the bother myself ;P
ultracrepidarian
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

http://www.eastoregonian.com/free/orego ... f887a.html

Kill one protected species to save the other protected species :roll:
Been busy doing stuff
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:between the depression of the 30's and the war machine sucking up all the resources in the 40's people didnt have much choice but to make every little thang valuable...the same crew went spac on "stuff" in the 50's when the conditions improved.

then their was a big downturn in the 70's and another smaller one in the 80's that affected my parents and my generations quite hard, we tend to look back on those and remember the frugal times between gravy trains.

the greenies are just like the other doomsday cult of end times christians, they want it smashed back to nothing so we can all be humble little respectful types again.
dont blame em, but hey.. humans are consistently stupid enough create apocolyptic endtimes without any political effort from me, dont see the bother myself ;P
Amen brother noddy.....

personal perspective is at least 80% of life....

the contemporary era that most label as apocalyptic will often be looked back upon as the good ole days

as they say, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

fascinating times..... I suspect they always have been....
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:between the depression of the 30's and the war machine sucking up all the resources in the 40's people didnt have much choice but to make every little thang valuable...the same crew went spac on "stuff" in the 50's when the conditions improved.

In the US, I think a lot of the current zeitgeist is simply the result of 5-6 decades of increasing social mood resulting in increasing tolerance for taking risk/taking on debt. Trees don't grow to the sky, the reversion had to occur sometime. Given the shortness of human life, to many people, a trend of 10-30 years defines a "normal" that will "continue forever."

Different generations experienced different normals during their formative years. Depending on your personal version of normal (and length of data collection/memory), times are either great, good, medium, bad, same as always, or apocalyptic.........
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Hoosiernorm wrote:http://www.eastoregonian.com/free/orego ... f887a.html

Kill one protected species to save the other protected species :roll:
no square lunches or free circles are possible?

ignorance of cause and effect?

short sighted people playing God?

eye for an eye?

Omelets require eggs?

All of the above?