The Character Assassination of Brett Kavanaugh

Doc

Re: The Character Assassination of Brett Kavanaugh

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:5 Signs You’re In The Midst Of A Moral Panic
Moral panics, or instances of mass hysteria, have occurred throughout history. Two of the most notorious are the Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s and the Satanic Panic of the 1980s and '90s. The panics almost exclusively involve women and children and fears for their safety, especially from sexual abuse.

We are in the midst of another such panic, but despite the similarities to past episodes, we are still unable to recognize it as such. The current panic has been playing out in the military and on college campuses for nearly a decade, but with the advent of the #MeToo movement, the mass hysteria is creeping into our regular legal system as well. The following are five of the biggest signs that we are experiencing another bout of mass hysteria, this time over sexual assault and harassment.

[...]
Interesting post P. On Thursday I talked to a lady over the phone that said the hearings were insane and people are going nuts. "Everyone is so angry and insulting!" I told her I did not see it that way, and that the disease of insanity seemed primarily isolated in the two party establishment in DC. She replied "Have you been on Facebook or Twitter today? It is insane!" I replied that I never used social media in my life, so that is probably why I am oblivious.

Maybe it really is a binoid world, not left and right, or black and white, but virtual and real. What if the virtual USA crumbles into dust or burns to the ground, but the people living in the real USA never even notice?

God's will?
I have seen threats of violence. Including genocide, and in one case a suicide threat of self immolation in front of the capital all by the left.

Parodite the state of fear has been going on since Bill Clinton's days in the white house to varying levels of hysteria.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Seems like there is always a moral panic somewhere. This one won't last long I would guess.
Censorship isn't necessary
Doc

Post by Doc »

Simple Minded wrote:
Parodite wrote:5 Signs You’re In The Midst Of A Moral Panic
Moral panics, or instances of mass hysteria, have occurred throughout history. Two of the most notorious are the Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s and the Satanic Panic of the 1980s and '90s. The panics almost exclusively involve women and children and fears for their safety, especially from sexual abuse.

We are in the midst of another such panic, but despite the similarities to past episodes, we are still unable to recognize it as such. The current panic has been playing out in the military and on college campuses for nearly a decade, but with the advent of the #MeToo movement, the mass hysteria is creeping into our regular legal system as well. The following are five of the biggest signs that we are experiencing another bout of mass hysteria, this time over sexual assault and harassment.

[...]
Interesting post P. On Thursday I talked to a lady over the phone that said the hearings were insane and people are going nuts. "Everyone is so angry and insulting!" I told her I did not see it that way, and that the disease of insanity seemed primarily isolated in the two party establishment in DC. She replied "Have you been on Facebook or Twitter today? It is insane!" I replied that I never used social media in my life, so that is probably why I am oblivious.

Maybe it really is a binoid world, not left and right, or black and white, but virtual and real. What if the virtual USA crumbles into dust or burns to the ground, but the people living in the real USA never even notice?

God's will?

Well I suppose things get blown out of relative proportion sometimes.

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:

Well I suppose things get blown out of relative proportion sometimes.

Yep. A picture that is worth a thousand words
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

wGBIMU__nmM
Deep down I'm very superficial
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Simple Minded wrote:Interesting post P. On Thursday I talked to a lady over the phone that said the hearings were insane and people are going nuts. "Everyone is so angry and insulting!" I told her I did not see it that way, and that the disease of insanity seemed primarily isolated in the two party establishment in DC. She replied "Have you been on Facebook or Twitter today? It is insane!" I replied that I never used social media in my life, so that is probably why I am oblivious.

God's will?
Would be interesting to have that investigated. MSM and social media... to what degree they influence people, which people etc. If sum total it has a big impact on elections... and on culture at large. I'm maybe less hopeful than you.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Doc

Post by Doc »

Parodite wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Interesting post P. On Thursday I talked to a lady over the phone that said the hearings were insane and people are going nuts. "Everyone is so angry and insulting!" I told her I did not see it that way, and that the disease of insanity seemed primarily isolated in the two party establishment in DC. She replied "Have you been on Facebook or Twitter today? It is insane!" I replied that I never used social media in my life, so that is probably why I am oblivious.

God's will?
Would be interesting to have that investigated. MSM and social media... to what degree they influence people, which people etc. If sum total it has a big impact on elections... and on culture at large. I'm maybe less hopeful than you.
Social Media has a huge impact in that it gives voice to anyone with an internet connection. Previously there was only one monolithic opinion. The same message over and over that consistently lead voters by the nose to the same conclusion.

If you want to see something that will have a much bigger impact WRT to division...This will in effect make 50 different countries of the Un-United States. /w all 15,000 different sales tax jurisdictions:
salestax2.jpg
salestax2.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 987 times
"Ma how much sales tax are we supposed to charge people in Lubbock TX?" "I don't know Pa I guess you will just have to call our lawyer in Texas and ask him" "Oh and when you talk to him ask him which form we have to fill out and where to sent the sales taxes we collect from sales in Lubbock."
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Hi guys. I see we still have some of the old crew here. Seems a bit of an echo-chamber, though, where are all the dissenters? I was hoping to use some of your arguments against interlocutors on another forum, but you all are just hanging out agreeing with each other.

I've been feeling a bit homeless since I stopped posting here. Not to the right enough for Mr P, not lefty enough for the tech forum I post on now. But this whole Kavanaugh thing finally made me realize that I can't ever be one of them. The continual sanctimonious posturing and now eleventh-hour dirty tricks are just finally too much. As Limbaugh said, what you find in the middle of the road is roadkill. This seems truer now than ever. If I have to pick sides, I gotta slide back to the right. I never was over the line anyway, just usually too libertarian for most Republicans. But they're going to have to take me back. Somehow I don't think they'll mind.

Anyway, glad to see some of you are still here.
noddy

Post by noddy »

crashtech66 wrote:Hi guys. I see we still have some of the old crew here. Seems a bit of an echo-chamber, though, where are all the dissenters? I was hoping to use some of your arguments against interlocutors on another forum, but you all are just hanging out agreeing with each other.

I've been feeling a bit homeless since I stopped posting here. Not to the right enough for Mr P, not lefty enough for the tech forum I post on now. But this whole Kavanaugh thing finally made me realize that I can't ever be one of them. The continual sanctimonious posturing and now eleventh-hour dirty tricks are just finally too much. As Limbaugh said, what you find in the middle of the road is roadkill. This seems truer now than ever. If I have to pick sides, I gotta slide back to the right. I never was over the line anyway, just usually too libertarian for most Republicans. But they're going to have to take me back. Somehow I don't think they'll mind.

:) nice to see from you again.

rowdy arguments still happen but not so much as we have gotten used to each other.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

crashtech66 wrote:Hi guys. I see we still have some of the old crew here. Seems a bit of an echo-chamber, though, where are all the dissenters? I was hoping to use some of your arguments against interlocutors on another forum, but you all are just hanging out agreeing with each other.

Hi crashtech66,

I never read any of your previous posts, but the above has me intrigued. So far, I like your perspective.

I'll try to do my part to abuse you just enough to make you feel like family, but hopefully not enough to make you flee. :P
Last edited by Simple Minded on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Kavanaugh as part of the Clinton cover up machine of Vince Foster's murder:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sinister-bat ... 25923.html

He worked for the Clinton's, George W. Bush, and now possibly for Trump. BK as deep state as they get.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Most groups, online or otherwise, tend to coalesce around shared attitudes and identities, so it is not particularly surprising that this forum has developed into a comfy right-wing echo chamber over time. Dissenters leave for other venues that share their own opinions eventually.

I started out as a very right-wing young man, likely due to my parents’ experiences in Soviet Russia, but I have become increasingly disillusioned and discouraged with our "conservative" politics over the years. I have pretty much come to terms with being homeless online right now, since I don’t really get along or identify with the left- and right-wing tribes of our times. Tire of discussions leading nowhere, dealing with proliferating conspiracy theories, ad hominem arguments, and the endless trolling. Better things to do with my life right now.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Welcome back, crashtech66.

For another thread, what's your view on the new Linux CoC?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NPR | Poll: Amid Kavanaugh Confirmation Battle, Democratic Enthusiasm Edge Evaporates
Just over a month away from critical elections across the country, the wide Democratic enthusiasm advantage that has defined the 2018 campaign up to this point has disappeared, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

In July, there was a 10-point gap between the number of Democrats and Republicans saying the November elections were "very important." Now, that is down to 2 points, a statistical tie.
The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote:NPR | Poll: Amid Kavanaugh Confirmation Battle, Democratic Enthusiasm Edge Evaporates
Just over a month away from critical elections across the country, the wide Democratic enthusiasm advantage that has defined the 2018 campaign up to this point has disappeared, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll.

In July, there was a 10-point gap between the number of Democrats and Republicans saying the November elections were "very important." Now, that is down to 2 points, a statistical tie.
My theory" Chuck Schumer was told by big left wing dem donors and activists they "he had to stop the Kavanaugh confirmation no matter what."

Chuck answered: "OK......"
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Whatever it takes bro. I thought of you often.

I will say the plan has been to eliminate the Democrats forever, and liberalism, and the remaining conservative factions can form however many parties we would like. I would like to have to choose between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, instead of Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein. I've tried to keep it very simple.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Colonel Sun wrote:NPR | Poll: Amid Kavanaugh Confirmation Battle, Democratic Enthusiasm Edge Evaporates

I'm thinking it never existed, just like Hillary's big lead never existed. They cut the margin on Quinnipiac also.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

@all, thanks for the warm welcome. I'm humbled and gratified to be accepted back into the fold.
noddy wrote::) nice to see from you again.

rowdy arguments still happen but not so much as we have gotten used to each other.
Thanks, noddy. I recall finding your perspective, coming as it does from halfway around the world, to always be something somewhat familiar and accessible, yet fresh and different as well. You've come in to this thread to greet me but may not have bothered to notice our insane political process re Supreme Court nominations, I wonder what you and your countrymen think of all the shenanigans?
Simple Minded wrote:Hi crashtech66,

I never read any of your previous posts, but the above has me intrigued. So far, I like your perspective.

I'll try to do my part to abuse you just enough to make you feel like family, but hopefully not enough to make you flee. :P
Hmm, I thought our previous posting histories may have overlapped a bit, but maybe not by much. This may sound masochistic, but a little friendly abuse would be welcome at this point; I'm weary of what seems to be genuine hatred directed toward me by people I barely know, just for the crime expressing what I thought was necessary and usually mild dissent.
kmich wrote:Most groups, online or otherwise, tend to coalesce around shared attitudes and identities, so it is not particularly surprising that this forum has developed into a comfy right-wing echo chamber over time. Dissenters leave for other venues that share their own opinions eventually.

I started out as a very right-wing young man, likely due to my parents’ experiences in Soviet Russia, but I have become increasingly disillusioned and discouraged with our "conservative" politics over the years. I have pretty much come to terms with being homeless online right now, since I don’t really get along or identify with the left- and right-wing tribes of our times. Tire of discussions leading nowhere, dealing with proliferating conspiracy theories, ad hominem arguments, and the endless trolling. Better things to do with my life right now.
Yes, the echo-chamber effect can be very disturbing if one carefully considers the implications. It might be fairly obvious at this point that although I've been on record (maybe not here) decrying the degeneration of digital discourse, I've finally given in and am retreating. Outside our chosen digital bubbles, the policy looks like scorched earth more often than not. I hope as an ideological homeless person you can feel at home somewhere, is it here? I'm a bit behind.
Colonel Sun wrote:Welcome back, crashtech66.

For another thread, what's your view on the new Linux CoC?
Thanks , Colonel. Although I have more in common with script kiddies than coders, I might have something to say eventually in the other thread. But the interesting thing about your question re this thread is that I think the Linux CoC and the main impetus for the Kavanaugh opposition spring from the same root. From PC, to campus speech codes, to social justice, then to "metoo," the time is ripe for both onerous conduct codes and uncorroborated allegations to achieve maximum traction.
Mr. Perfect wrote:Whatever it takes bro. I thought of you often.

I will say the plan has been to eliminate the Democrats forever, and liberalism, and the remaining conservative factions can form however many parties we would like. I would like to have to choose between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, instead of Nancy Pelosi and Dianne Feinstein. I've tried to keep it very simple.
Thanks for the acknowledgement. It's good to have you here defining your position with clarity, even if such clarity is occasionally hard-edged. I wanted politics to be a smorgasbord, but I know now it's more like a school lunch. Eat what you're given and like it, or go fend for yourself. In real life I fend for myself adequately, in politics, as it turns out, less so.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

crashtech66 wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Hi crashtech66,

Hmm, I thought our previous posting histories may have overlapped a bit, but maybe not by much. This may sound masochistic, but a little friendly abuse would be welcome at this point; I'm weary of what seems to be genuine hatred directed toward me by people I barely know, just for the crime expressing what I thought was necessary and usually mild dissent.
I'm here for you CT66,

Virtual tough love is easier than ever these days, but trying to prevent the ungrateful recipients from misinterpreting it as ignorance, apathy, vanity, stupidity, heresy, etc. is tough.

Since there is no common ground in cyberspace, and many responses seem to be fueled more by imagination and interpretation, rather than accurate reading, and an honest effort to understand, expecting to find a home (agreement with others) on the internet seems a bit silly, IMSMO. It's an electronic soapbox.

As Harry Truman is reported to have said "If you want a friend on the internet, get a virtual dog!"

On the plus side, it is easy to find someone to virtually pee on your virtual mattress when need be..... :P

Welcome back!
Doc

Post by Doc »

crashtech66 wrote: Hmm, I thought our previous posting histories may have overlapped a bit, but maybe not by much. This may sound masochistic, but a little friendly abuse would be welcome at this point; I'm weary of what seems to be genuine hatred directed toward me by people I barely know, just for the crime expressing what I thought was necessary and usually mild dissent.
I remember your posts Crashtech(dummy?) Though I can't remember the year or where you posted them, I am 100% sure I saw them. I also remember you being drunk and laughing a lot. :P
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I find the crashtech saga fascinating. There is a lot of data coming in showing Kavanaugh is agitating a certain percentage of wandering conservatives back into the fold, but I have no idea why Kavanaugh is the catalyst for this over the dozens of other atrocities committed by the Democrats/media since Trump took office.

Will see how it plays out.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I find the crashtech saga fascinating. There is a lot of data coming in showing Kavanaugh is agitating a certain percentage of wandering conservatives back into the fold, but I have no idea why Kavanaugh is the catalyst for this over the dozens of other atrocities committed by the Democrats/media since Trump took office.

It has exposed the Democrats for what they are. Right at this moment they have taken over the senate office building. Here is the video: https://youtu.be/WXKwLhDSmGQ?t=10
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://babylonbee.com/news/senate-on-l ... wn-killers
Senate On Lockdown After Receiving Credible Threat From Known Killers

pp.jpg
pp.jpg (98.81 KiB) Viewed 879 times
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Doc wrote:
crashtech66 wrote: Hmm, I thought our previous posting histories may have overlapped a bit, but maybe not by much. This may sound masochistic, but a little friendly abuse would be welcome at this point; I'm weary of what seems to be genuine hatred directed toward me by people I barely know, just for the crime expressing what I thought was necessary and usually mild dissent.
I remember your posts Crashtech(dummy?) Though I can't remember the year or where you posted them, I am 100% sure I saw them. I also remember you being drunk and laughing a lot. :P
That doesn't sound like me! I was entirely too serious most of the time, and still am, mostly, though I'm working on that.
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I find the crashtech saga fascinating. There is a lot of data coming in showing Kavanaugh is agitating a certain percentage of wandering conservatives back into the fold, but I have no idea why Kavanaugh is the catalyst for this over the dozens of other atrocities committed by the Democrats/media since Trump took office.

Not sure if my behavior is really indicative of much but the fact that I'd finally had enough of the lefties at the other forum I'd been posting at. Like I mentioned in my reply to CS, this nomination debacle has its roots in the PC/SJW/metoo (I refuse to give that a hashtag) movement that began benignly enough, but now poses a real Constitutional threat by trying to destroy due process by equating it with victim shaming.
But the data you mention is intriguing, any links?